15 January 2009

A New Series

I hesitate to say that out loud (or in writing) since it means that I'm committing to something. And when I comes to blogging, I tend to be a little scattered. I have a hard time following through when I decide to do something regularly on my blog. I'm kind of like a bird who is distracted by shiny things.

Does anyone remember my commitment to be thankful? Yeah. That lasted for about a week. I was still thankful. I just kept forgetting to tell you about it.

In my first post of 2009, I pledged to spend some time this year sharing my thoughts on what it means to set the tone in my home and create a warm, welcoming and safe place for my family to rest. After all, it can't be completely about spray paint and new pillows, right?



So in an effort to be true to the name of my blog, I'll start a weekly series called Building a Soft Place to Land. And since today is Thursday, I guess Thursdays will be the day. There are a few topics bouncing around in my noggin right now. Of course, I always reserve the right to completely deviate from the planned topic should I become distracted by something shiny.

On the off chance that you think I've somehow got this all figured out and will deliver little sermons sharing my wisdom for creating the perfect home, think again. I don't think I've made it a secret that I don't have it all together. I'm still struggling to figure things out and doing the best that I can. Somedays I do better than others.

I really hope that this series will help me do a better job of creating the home that I want for my family. So please join me and let's make this a dialogue. I love to hear from you, my dear readers. I am constantly amazed at the thoughfulness and wisdom that can be found in my comments section. If there's enough interest, maybe we'll even do a Mr. Linky some weeks.

Next weeks topic: Building my foundation


post signature

64 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Karen said...

Hey Kimba - None of us have it ALL together. We are all works in progress, as I see it. Can't wait to read more...

Betsy said...

Would love to open up a conversation about the importance of making a comfortable, safe home for our families to reside. Comfort and safety meaning so much more than tangible things. Keep it up...can't wait for more.

Anonymous said...

I second Karen's statement...I can't wait for your post next Thursday. I am sure it will be something we all need to read.

Thanks for doing this and if I haven't said it, thanks for all you do for bloggy land!

Victoria said...

Oh Kimba I can't wait to read your new series! I think it will be wonderful. I just want you to know that I appreciate how "real" you are with all of us.

Holly said...

Bring it ON! I can't wait to hear some ideas.

I've finally started to *get it* that stuff is just stuff. Comfort, creating a haven for family and friends is more important.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Hi Kimba --

I'm so excited for your new series. I love coming over to see what is on your mind. And thanks for keeping things real!

Jen

Shilo said...

Excited to learn together...I'm looking forward to your weekly posts!
Bless you! Shilo

Anna Molly said...

I'm so looking forward to your new series! Everytime I read your blog I walk away with more value than you know.

Mimi Sue said...

GREAT idea, Kimba. I relate to the shiny part. Mimi

The Nester said...

This is gonna be great!

I've got a dorky series coming up and I'm gonna do what you did and just tell people. That way I'll be motivated to write it.

We get to see eachother again soon!

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

Good for you, Kimba! Be committed to something important, not silly diets or exercise plans! We are all trying to be better wives, mothers, sisters, daughter and friends. All little support is always good!

emily freeman said...

Ooo, this sounds like fun. And I think a linky would be a great idea :)

Valarie Lea said...

I think this will be a great series!! Looking forward to next week!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry... what were you saying.... hey... what's that shiny thing over there *wanders off somewhere or other never to be seen or heard from again...lol

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Thursdays you said?? * gives a 'gosh I could have had a V8' slap to the side of her head.... DOH

Erika said...

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!!!

Sarah Mae said...

Sounds great Kimba - now LINK UP WITH A CUTE MODEST OUTFIT! ;)

Joanna said...

Can't wait to read what you'll be sharing with us!

punkinmama said...

I don't know you, but I've been reading your blog for awhile. I love everything you do and I'm really looking forward to this series. I hope someday my home will be a little more organized, a little more comfortable, a little more pleasing to look at. Thanks for sharing your blog!

Liz said...

What a nice idea! I can't wait to see more. :)

~Liz
www.AGiveawayADay.blogspot.com

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

I love your perspective on making your house truly feel like home. I can't wait for your series. Did you ever read Lance Armstrong's book "It's Not About the Bike"? You could write one called "It's Not About the Pillows" :). Thanks!

Unknown said...

Hi! This is the first time I've left a comment, but I love your blog! I will be looking forward to this series...thanks for the inspiration.
Chrissie Grace

Unknown said...

Hi! This is the first time I've left a comment, but I love your blog! I will be looking forward to this series...thanks for the inspiration.
Chrissie Grace

~ Lisa @ AbidingThere~ said...

Oh, goody! Count me in - can't wait to follow the series :)

Shell in your Pocket said...

Great direction for your blog...I would love a "home" that is not rushed, always in a hurry...we can we smell the flowers???
-sandy toe

JEWEL said...

No one has it all together and your heart is in the right place. Looking forward to reading more.

Anonymous said...

I am all ears! I will look forward to reading every word you put out there for us. Just in case you see something shiny thats ok. We will enjoy that too!

Sandy said...

Good job Kimba - I think that is perfect and fitting for your blog - and will be so encouraging to others! :)

Anonymous said...

What a great idea Kimba! I love it! Can't wait to read more!!!

Jennifer said...

Very excited about your new "series" and looking forward to checking back each Thursday! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas - I always enjoy them.

Linda said...

We all need a safe place to land after a hectic day. And (surprise!) not many of us have it all together 24/7/365! But I am looking for your ideas and those of others who have made some comfy spots at home! I can't wait to follow your series.

Stacey said...

Looking forward to it....bring it!

Judi said...

This sounds like alot of fun, can't wait!!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!!

Anonymous said...

I need inspiring ideas on having a soft place to land. Our home is usually just a nice place to bounce off of in between our next destination, usually someone's basketball practice or school, or church, or the grocery store... Get a move on, girl!

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

What a great idea, Kimba! I love this network of sisters I have found through blogging. Who knew? It is so nice to associate with regular women like myself who are striving daily to be better mothers, wives, friends, etc. What a great support system we have together! CAn't wait to see what you have in store for us.

~Amanda

Lana said...

I can't wait to read more about it! :) Looking forward to it!

Unknown said...

I can't wait to read more, Kimba!

Sheryl

Anonymous said...

You are doing a marvelous job with your blog! I often stop by to get a nugget of (spray paint) wisdom or a chuckle or gafaw and you don't dissapoint. :-)

Much appreciate the time you spend sharing!

Kristen said...

I don't think any of us have it together, but I do think we are walking the same road toward growing as mothers, wives and friends. We might as well walk the road together and encourage each other along the way. I look forward to reading more. Thanks for sharing your heart!

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea! The way you feel inside someone's home is more important than the way the home looks. (At least I tell myself that when friends come to visit and have to step over piles of legos, hotwheels cars, boots, coats, and backpacks just to get inside my front door.) :)

Anonymous said...

Count me in on the series. You always give it your best so I know it will be insightful and wonderful.

Unknown said...

I am looking forward to your words of wisdom. You may think that you don't have it all together, but I'm sure that there's plenty we can learn from you, and from each other.

Elle Jay Bee said...

I hope you are more successful than I when it comes to sticking to a topic. I, too, get distracted easily. I am always a few steps ahead, and even more behind!

Linda

Anonymous said...

Great...I will look forward to your series. You always have a nice piece of wisdom or advice for your readers :-)

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

oh my friend - you know this is right up my alley..except the sticking to a topic thing. i am still going to get to my Designer Duds on a Dime series....hee hee. I WILL, I just need to do it.

duchess said...

I'm always looking for inspiration when it comes to our home. Thanks for doing this - can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve.

Heathahlee said...

You crack me up! Oooh, something shiny! My friend J.B. and I say that all the time. We are very easily distracted!

I know what you mean about committing to something. I was just thinking yesterday that there have been several times I've said in a post that I would continue with that subject later, only for it to be forgotten in the recesses of my scatterbrained brain.

I am, though, hoping you put it on your calendar to keep this one up, because I for one am looking forward to these posts.

Pretty Organizer said...

Linky us up. You're take on our jobs as a moms is spot on. We are the climate control of our homes and with so much going on in the world that our kids face every day, home should be the recharging station. Our family has really been working on a few goals to strengthen our relationships and help keep the climate of peace, calm, love, and comfort. I think other families have a lot to share on this topic.

Great contribution to blogland my friend. Look forward to the seiries.
Hugs! P.Organizer

Pretty Organizer said...

You're take??? Honestly, can I even write? I meant, your take. Geesh! If my husband saw the way I write my way around the net he'd hire a private tutor for me. He's a stickler for proper grammar and punctuation. He'll have to find his own blogging circles. I guarantee all us gals using words like Geesh, and UBER, and watchamacallit would not be his thing... he gets about all he can stand from just me!

Carla said...

I think this sounds like a great topic. I have to keep reminding myself I am the keeper of the heart of this home. Somedays or weeks are better then others. I could use all the inspiration you can give or great idea. Of course homes are also pray paint and pillows also so keep that up also.

Pretty Organizer said...

Hey! Somebody Quick jump over to Kimbas home page and sign up to follow her! She's at 449 and needs 1 more for a clean 450. I'm already following (faithfully) or I'd do it myself! Heck, if you're not following Kimba yet head over there and sign up anyway. Maybe we can push her to an even 500+
Lots of bloggy love Kimba! P.O.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to read your new series. You never know who you might help or touch when you share...and this really hit home with me.

Thank You!

{{Big Hugs}}

Cathy

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

I'm excited for this! I'm learning to build my home into a real soft place to land. I'm a new homeowner/wife so this is really going to be a great thing to read and participate in. Thanks Kimba! Looking forward to next Thursday! -Mandi

Mary said...

Great idea. Good luck!

Lara Jane said...

Karen put it so beautifully, "We are all works in progress!"

I'm excited about this!

Anonymous said...

There's something wonderful about being so transparent. Thank you for the sweet POST! Rock that baby boy..mine is all grown up now and I long to have him in my arms again...just one more time.

My solace, you ask? Knowing that he's grown up to be all the wonderful things that God planned for him to be...

Can I add you as a FAVORITE BLOG?

Warmly, Rebecca

One Shabby Old House said...

Hi Kimba,
As a mother of grown children I am always so pleased to hear young mothers finding that motherhood and family really are the most important thing. Good luck as you commit to this.
God Bless
Becky

Unknown said...

Can't wait to read your series!

Courtney said...

I love this idea Kimba! i can't wait to hear more of your thoughts on this!

Paula said...

I love shiny things too. I rarely follow through with things because I LIKE being unpredictable. (Well not always.)LOl I'm looking forward to your new series.

Anonymous said...

Hi - I'm excited to read about your new series. I've just started a brand new blog about remodeling and design and it sounds like your subject matter will be really up my alley.

I need to figure out how to subscribe so I don't forget. I'll look for that. I want to be sure to keep up.

Thanks. (BTW - I think i understand about the Manly Man husband and the two boys...just from the male perspective...but we have two boys also)

Martha said...

Hey Kimba...

I'm a stalker. A big ol' blog stalker of yours. I don't think I've ever commented on your blog, but I LOVE IT!!

And I love that you're doing this new series!

mommy4life said...

Yeah! Someone being transparent! I'm adding as a follower!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I can't wait to hear your ideas.

No one has it all together, but it's nice to know you're not alone in some of the daily struggles!

Thanks for always being so open and honest. It wouldn't be as much fun if you had it all figured out! :-)

-Kim