05 January 2009

Easy No-Sew Pillow Cover



This little project was inspired by those fleece no-sew blankets that everyone was making this year and Nester's ragamuffin idea. It's oh-so-simple, with a big TA-DA and no sewing machine. Those are some of my favorite things!



You take two pieces of fabric that are each about 6 inches (on all sides) bigger than the pillow you want to cover. So if your pillow is an 18" square, you want your fabric to be about 30" square. The excess fabric around the pillow is going to be your fringe, so if you want longer fringe, use a larger piece of fabric.



Lay the two pieces of fabric on top of each other. Then cut out the corners of your fabric. The size of the square you cut out of the corners should be the same length (on each side) as the length that your fringe will be. I'm not explaining this very well. Just look at that picture up there. It makes more sense than I do.



Now you cut the fringe. Again, look at the picture. I cut in about 6" all the way around. Each strip was about 1/2" wide.



Keep the two pieces of fabric on top of each other and start tying each top strip to it's corresponding bottom strip on the other piece of fabric. Clearly, I should not be writing instruction manuals.



I used single knots but you can use double knots if it makes you feel better. Once you've gone around 3 sides of the cover, stuff your pillow inside and tie up the last side.



Done! Pillow covered.



I couldn't decide if I liked the right or wrong side of this fabric better. I used the right side of the fabric for one side of the pillow and the wrong side of the fabric for the other side of the pillow. Is that enough sides for you?

A Soft Place to Land is now accepting your business button ads in the Moms Unite section! Major bargain! Details here.

post signature

122 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Heathahlee said...

That looks SO much easier than sewing the pillow I did earlier this past year. I might try it with the same fabric and give that pillow to my sister. Beautiful job, yet again! : )

Mimi Sue said...

What a great idea. Love the fabric. Mimi

K and/or K said...

Great fabric! I think I could even tackle that craft!

Valarie Lea said...

Ya know I have been thinking of doing something like this, but not a pillow, with like flannel. I was wondering how it would be to use a different type of material. I love this and now need to go find some fabric. :)

Shell in your Pocket said...

OH my goodness I am so doing this b/c I have a print I want but can't find it in a "pillow"...This post has made me very excited!!!!!!
-sandy toes

Anonymous said...

Wow that is fantastic and I have been looking for some easy pillow ideas. Thanks so much!

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

That is one great idea! I definitly will be adding this to my list of things to do!

Anne said...

I made the lampshade a'la ragamuffin for both my kids rooms- adorable! Seriously. Now pillows- you are killing me- LOVE IT!And something I can knock out during Days Of Our Lives while the babies are napping. Super bonus!

maryanne420 said...

Happy New Year! I am so thankful that you posted this! I'd been wanting to make new pillow covers but don't have time to sew. All 8 of my pillows will finally be covered.

THANK YOU!

Mom in High Heels said...

OMG! I love it! What a great idea!
Happy 2009!!!!!

Anonymous said...

That's FABULOUS!! I've been putting off covering a pillow, even though I have an easy sew slip cover pattern. This is great! Thanks Kimba :)

-Hayley

Georgia Girl said...

Oh that looks so easy...I am going to try and do this. Thanks Kimba for all your neat crafts you share.

Georgia Girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
*Just Jen* said...

What a GREAT idea!!! I think you should make another one with both the "right and wrong sides" and you can match them or mis-match them! I can't wait to try this!!

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

That looks AWESOME! I will have to try that soon. I have some fabric I love but didn't know what to do with it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimba! That's a great looking pillow and looks pretty easy to do! You're fantastic!
be a sweetie,
Shelia :0

Mandi Shandi said...

Absolutely GENIUS!! I love this and will have to try one soon. Thanks for sharing!

~ Lisa @ AbidingThere~ said...

This is so cute. What a great idea and seems easy enough for even me. Thanks!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Fantastic idea! I'll be linking to this!

Gypsy aka Tam said...

You have the best ideas. This will prevent me from buying more pillows that are a pain to store. Instead I'll be running to the store to search for some fabric now because I need to make different covers.
Thank you for the inspiration :)
Tam

Unknown said...

I am SO doing this and impressing my mom!!

Unknown said...

I love this!! It is too easy! Thanks! I love easy crafts! hehehe!

Cassie said...

That looks great! I did this for a couple of fleece blankets. It's time consuming, and a back breaker (the blankets)! I'm going to try this for a pillow, thanks!

Betsy said...

What a cute whimsical pillow. Love that.

Unknown said...

What a great idea! I currently have two pillows waiting for covers on my couch and I think I will have to give this a try.

Linda said...

Oh this is sooo something that I am going to try out. I've made tons of the blankets so the pillow should be a snap.

Your instructions were fine, you did a great job!

P.S. I loved your fabric!

Lianne said...

This is beautiful! I need those pillows for my sofa and loveseat! Perfect colors...

Oh, and I totally followed where you were going on the instructions!

Kasey said...

Looks great. Both sides look great. But if I had to pick I'd go with the darker side.

Windy said...

I think even I can do that and I even have some material to try it with! I love the two sided pillow - sort of like something new every day!

Lana said...

What a simple and neat way to cover a pillow! Thanks for the idea! I think I'll have to try that sometime!

Decor To Adore said...

Oh Supercalafragalisticexpialadocious!

Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry said...

WoW super cute and easy, my kind of project. Thanks for sharing!

Amanda said...

Fabric + no sewing = FABULOUS!!
Awesome way to keep the look of a pillow fresh and new!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Now, that is cute. I have seen the fleece pillows done this way, but not with other fabric.

The Morgan Family said...

Awesome-awesome-awesome! What a great idea, something I know I can do! Keep sharing those ideas!

Lucy Mills said...

brilliant! especially as I'm always losing my sewing kit ;)

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

That's awesome!!! I'm definitely going to try this. Thank you, thank you for sharing!

Christi said...

Kimba, HOW SMART! I've had these two (matching) pillows I've wanted to recover for so long, but I can't thinking "I don't know how to do that". Now I do. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Easy Schmeazy... will have to do this one... I have a a few pillows that I don't care for anymore... will just get some fabric and use this technique to create a new look.. Thanks so much!

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

Now for the big question...how long did it take??

Amber B. said...

GENIUS!!! And I completely understood your instructions, BTW. :-)

TidyMom said...

Oh these are GREAT!! I'm sending this link to my mom! We were just talking this morning about what to do with some pillows she has! Perfect!!

~Tidymom

joyfuliving said...

now this is totally do-able! :) i like the side with the darker brown background with the lighter vine{y} things. and yes, beautiful fabric.

lisa@littlesliceoflife said...

That is too cute!

thekreativelife said...

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH! I can't sew a stitch, but I've GOT to try to make a few of these!

I've got "learning to use a sewing machine" down on my list of things to accomplish in 2009 . . . we'll see. ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh you are so smart! I have made the blanket for my mother and grandmother, I would not have thought of a pillow. You know I have mounds of unused pillows and tons of fabric! Oh yeah, I'll be passing this along to my buddies who also have mounds of fabric lying around. Thanks for the great idea!
~Misti

Kristi said...

That is a super idea! I will have to try that out on my existing pillows. How easy to change with the seasons!

pcb said...

Thanks for sharing this idea!

pcb said...

Thanks for sharing this idea!

Sue said...

love it !!!!!!!!can't wait to try.



sue

Giggles said...

Amazing....your directions were perfect, pillows are fabulous! I'll have to give it a try!

Hugs Giggles

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's great! I hate to bring out my sewing machine. I only use it every few years or so and I forget how to do the thread each time! This is my kind of project!

Anonymous said...

Love this! I've been planning to sew a few pillow covers soon but I might just try this instead!

Mrs. Jones said...

Kimba, I love you! That is such an awesome idea, sister. It looks amazing. :-)

~Heather

Wendy said...

I love this idea...and your instructions were great...and a bit humorous :-)

Kim said...

oh my...LOVE IT!!! Great idea, Kimba! That fabric is fabulous. I will have to make some of these.

Unknown said...

Even though I do have my sewing machine out, I love this idea better! So cute! Thanks for sharing all your wonderful ideas.

Kristi~The Slipcover Girl said...

Great idea! I've been working on some pillow re-covers also. Love your no-sew ones!

Bee said...

Cute! I think I can do this.

Anonymous said...

That is quite possibly the best change-your-decor idea I've ever come across!!! LOVE IT!

Shannon @ Silver Trappings said...

What an awesome idea! Thanks for the instructions. I might actually be able to do that.

Shannon

Carry Grace said...

Brilliant!

Jennifer said...

I soooo love this idea!!

AndreaLeigh said...

i LOVE this idea!

Melissa said...

that's SUPER cute - i love it!

Anonymous said...

Love this idea!!

Southern Fried Gal said...

WOW - it takes my computer a bit to load the pictures so I always read ahead while they take their sweet time. This is not what I had conjured up in my mind. WOW! That is stunning!

Suzann said...

I absolutely LOVE this. I want lots of them. Love the fabric that you've chosen.

Empty Nest Full Life said...

What a great idea! I have been wanting to do some pillows for my swing, and that would be just right. Jackie

GeonHui's Bakery said...

What a great idea! Love it!

Monica said...

Thanks Kimba! I love this...

I'm a big sewing dummy and this is such a great project for someone like me. And I love how you used both sides of the fabric to get two different looks in one pillow.

I'm new to this blogging thing, but I am beginning to see I have found a new passion. LOL

Sarah Mae said...

Likey likey! I have been trying to find some pillows to match my new RED rug (I know, wild huh?). I found some on Etsy I love, but can't afford them right now - perhaps I will try this idea!

Thanks Kimba! :)

Sally Pepper said...

Oh, I love this!

Anonymous said...

Great idea....I have to try this!!!

Marie said...

Fantastic idea!!

Unknown said...

Great project! It turned out really cute and looks fairly easy.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Where oh where do you come up with these really great ideas? That looks terrific, love it.

Robin @ The Rendered Nest said...

Awesome idea! I wonder how felted wool would work like this?! Hmmm! Beautiful fabric choice, too!

Smelling Coffee said...

Hi Kimba~ I'm here through Christy (Here and Home) - and LOVE the pillow idea! I enjoyed looking at some other posts, and know I'll be blessed as I follow your blog.

Have a great day...
Jennifer

Steph said...

What a great pillow! I like both sides of the fabric too. Can't wait to try it.

Unknown said...

Very pretty. Two great ideas in one.. Gotta love it. I need to try my hand at that one~

Victoria said...

Love it! Great idea and it does look easy.

Kris said...

omg. gorgeous and easy!! I have two giant pillows without covers, thank you for inspiring me!! You are awesome!

Dinahsoar said...

Love this method...thanks for sharing...and your directions were easier to follow than many I've come across in magazines.

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

GENIUS Kimba! Just genius!! I think I'm spelling genius wrong...obviously you can tell I'm so not one. :)

Carolina Mama said...

Oh this is exciting. I think I can do this! :) And they look so pretty. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Love it!! Never thought to do that with non-fleece fabric. Great timing too... I have some pillows to recover! Thx for sharing.

These Are The Days said...

You couldn't have posted this at a better time. I have 3 pillows on my sofa that are needing to be recovered by next Tuesday. I have no sewing machine and I haven't been able to find any new pillows I like. I am definitely going to use this idea. Thanks so much. Jessica

Unknown said...

I seriously love this and I am seriously going to use this idea! Thanks for sharing

WhisperWood Cottage said...

Even something I can do! Thanks for the idea!

Monkey Giggles said...

You are a clever one. You continue to inspire many.

Etta said...

LOVE IT! Great idea, I will HAVE to try this!

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Oh! Look how smart you are!!

That's why we love you. :)

Great idea!

Jessica said...

Awesome tutorial! I haven't quite tackled the art of sewing yet so this is something I am definitely going to have to try! Thanks!

Meredith said...

Yummy fabric...why didn't I think of doing this? So easy, and pretty!

Chris said...

You have NO idea how many projects this has lined up for me! I HATE to sew, and this saved me. Good girl, Kimba!

Anonymous said...

Love this idea!!!
Thanks,
Cheryl

Moi said...

great idea! I love it!

sara said...

Someone just shared this link (easy no-sew pillow cover)with me.

Great idea- I love it! Thanks for sharing.

Kristen said...

Love this idea!

Lana said...

I feel like you are an answer to my un-prayed prayer. I've been looking for pillows but this is so much cheaper and better. Thank you! I'll def. be back for more ideas!

Anna Maria Junus said...

Very clever!

Patsy said...

Wow, I never thought about doing a pillow with fabric this way. Did 2 fleece blackets as gifts for Christmas. Great idea!! Thanks for sharing.

Scooper said...

Wow, I love this idea! Will definitely be making fringey no-sew pillows now. I have those fleece blankets for my kiddos that their grandma made for them but never thought about using regular fabric and making a "chic" version. I don't sew but I can totally handle this. Thanks for sharing.

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

This is the MOST GENIUS idea I have ever seen in my life! I have 4 huge couch pillows that I've been dying to cover, but I don't sew. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Anonymous said...

Kimba ~ Majorly loving the pillow idea, and I did see the raggamuffin garland - wonderful also. We're all froze in here in Alaska right now with this - brrrr.... hideous cold snap. Projects at home next tot he fireplace are right up my alley until it warms up!!

Blessings ~ Eileen

Essential Oil Premier University said...

What a great idea!! Thank you!!

Blessings,

Sher

Lindsay @ Makely said...

I love this and am definitely going to use it in my home!

Debie Napoleon said...

Very cute and easy idea!

Unknown said...

Wow! This turned out beautifully and your pictures were great. I love the fabric you chose!
Have a lovely weekend,
Tammy ;D

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Uhhh, brilliant!! How many times have I said that on here??

Mindy said...

I did it! (and left credit for you on my blog) ;-)

The Golf Widow said...

Love it!!! Great idea to do two different sides!

Audra Lynn said...

I love it! I'm going to have to try that. I've got some fabric I bought because it was pretty, and now I know what to do with it. Thanks!

Sarah said...

Brilliant! Thanks for the idea!

Pamela said...

What a wonderful idea! I am so glad I happened upon your log today! No better way to waste time then getting some great decorating ideas!:)

DairyQueen said...

I can't wait to give that a try!

Jo said...

Oh, I love this idea. I think I will try it when I'm fluffing up my new house.

By the way, I was thumbing through the newest O at Home magazine in the grocery store, and guess what they did with ceramic birds and white spray paint? They totally stole your idea! I hope they paid you for it ;-)

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

I do sew, HOWEVER, I LOVE that pillow. The nice thing is that you don't have to spend any money on trim or fringe - which can be expensive. Thanks for the great idea. Linda

Rhonda said...

I am going to do this soon to some oversized pillows that the boys like to lounge on in the family room. I love it! I don't sew so this is looks so easy peasy!
Thanks for sharing!
Rhonda

Rachel Lundy said...

I found the post I was looking for. This is great! I'm am definitely going to make one of these. Wonderful idea. Thank you so much for sharing!

Robin said...

Thanks so much for this post. It inspired me to make covers for a couch we got off Craigslist. I ended up not doing the no sew covers because I miscalculated the fabric amount.