14 January 2009

Now on a Complete Different Subject...

Here at A Soft Place to Land, I love to prattle on and on about all things home. But one thing you will never find me writing about is cooking. It's just not my thing. I'm not a bad cook but I'm not a great one either. I guess I'd call myself a utilitarian cook (although I made a killer roast last night). My family won't starve but Food Network won't be asking me to host my own show either.



That brings me to the point of my post...I have a friend who very well may get that call from Food Network someday. Kendra from My First Kitchen (isn't she cute?) has made it her life's mission to share the joy that can come from cooking.



She's not over there making haute-cuisine that requires 15 recipes within the recipe. She's making real food for real people. And she's doing it in a sweet and wonderful way. You can't help but love her! Watch some of her videos and you'll see what I mean.

Here are a few of my favorites from her site;

The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie - Oh my, YES!

Slow-Cooker Barbecue - She lives in NC so she knows a thing or two about BBQ

$10 Dinner Challenge - Thrifty and delicious!

Butter-Suckin' Hotdogs - Oh glory! Butter and hotdogs! I also love the fact that it looks like she's been sipping the cooking wine in the still image for the video.

Now Kendra doesn't know that I'm over here singing her praises. So let's have a little fun...everyone run over there and leave a comment on one of her posts. We'll see how long it takes her to figure out what's going on.

I can't wait to get back to NC so that I can take one of her cooking classes!



post signature

29 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Heathahlee said...

Okay, I haven't watched any of the videos yet, but I love the title of "Butter Suckin' Hot Dogs"!

Tiffany said...

I cannot imagine what one would do with a recipe that includes butter AND hot dogs but I'm about to find out!

Heathahlee said...

I am SO trying that this week with the hot dog buns! When her husband takes that huge bite at the end, you can hear the crispiness! MMMMMMmmmmmm!

Shell in your Pocket said...

I have read been reading her everytime she posts...have you made her sauce???I did last night! OH MY!!!

I think we may see her on the food network!
-sandy toe

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, thanks for introducing us to Kendra. I've been on her site for the last 15 minutes and I'm already making out a grocery list. Can I get a hallelujah for slow cooker BBQ!! I'm an NC girl living in GA in much need of some Carolina BBQ. This one will be on my dinner table this weekend...with vinegar of course! And for dessert I'm thinking Key Lime Pie. Holy goodness!!

-Hayley

My First Kitchen said...

You are a MESS!!!! And so sweet to do this! I did figure it out, but it took me a few tries. Sneaky sneaky, little miss. Thanks so much for the kind words, and it means a lot that you shared my passion so accurately. I'm glad my food is real food for real people. For real. That gives me such affirmation, Kimba and everyone who has so kindly come by and said such nice things!! I'm so glad to have you!

Erika said...

I think I'm going to have to follow her. I found her last week and like what I read so much that I made a button for her blog!!

I tried to post the code for it in case you wanted it, but it won't let me!! :(

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimba~ I haven't checked her out yet, but I will after I comment. Last night I left a comment somewhere about how wonderful everyone is in blogland! How we aren't afraid to to show how great someone ELSE is. How much encouragement we get from folks we have never even met. Gotta love it here in blogland. Kudos to you for sharing a friend!
~Misti

Anonymous said...

I love her site! Her quesadilla recipe is one of my favorites - so simple and easy!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Yea for Kimba sharing the Kendra love. :)

TidyMom said...

Anything called "Butter Suckin' Hot Dogs" I HAVE to check out! LOL
I'm SO there!!

Thanks!!
~Tidymom

Anonymous said...

First your comment on my blog made me very cold... I come over for a visit and now Im very hungry, smile. You just never know what your gonna get when you visit Miss Kimba. How's that little one feeling today? Hopefully much better. Hmmmm now Im wondering what Im going to make for supper~

Christina said...

Love cooking--though I have much to learn. I def. be checking her site out.

Enjoyed your post yesterday.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Kimba - Thank you so much for posting about your cooking skills. It seems like everyone who has a blog is a 5-star cook. It is so intimidating. I cam like you, I cook but it's not my passion.

I love your blog. And I'm so happy I found you!

XOXOXOXO
Jen

Shelby said...

Oooohhhh a fun new blog to follow! Love the slow cooker reciepe!

Miss JC said...

oh how fun! yeah, i'm running over there to check it out..sounds good!

Monkey Giggles said...

Now those butter hot dogs look yummy.

The video was a hoot to watch.

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

I am the same way -- but I have been cooking so much more lately and have loved it! I actually sat down tonight, picked out recipes and wrote down a list to make enough for two weeks. WHAT? I don't know what is wrong with me! Thanks for the link!

Scooper said...

Kimba,

Thank you for your sweet comment on a la mode. You are one of my bloggy celebs so I was tickled when I saw your comment.

Thank you, thank you!

I look forward to a very creatively-inspired 2009.

The Beauty Bargainista said...

hehe, I love it! I just posted over there...looks like she found you out! :)

Being a fellow chef, I love all of her recipes...so easy and good for everyone! :) Just awesome!!

Runner Mom said...

I am all about the BBQ!! We use mustard based in SC, and usually, they use tomato based in NC. I"ll hop over and see what her secret is. Thanks for the heads-up.

OH, BTW, I am going Junkin' this morning!!! I found a super cool thrift store yesterday,and, glory! I found 2 matching chairs--ugly as can be, but they are great chairs and do not stink! Yes, I smelled the pillows!!! Hey,if they're coming here, they need to be halfway decent! Planning on slip covering or re-upholstering--via a blog tutorial!! Should be an interesting day!

Hugs,
susan

Runner Mom said...

Excuse me, my bad! NC uses a vinegar based BBQ sauce! Somebody else must use the tomato based! Oh,well!
:)

Kristi~The Slipcover Girl said...

she is a doll...i got to meet her IRL! i love her quesadilla video...mmmm! i made one immediately after watching it!

Kristen said...

I am so excited to see Kendra in your post today! I can remember sitting on her living room floor watching So You Think You Can Dance and testing scones. She is such a fabulous cook and has such a heart for teaching others how to live life eating good, real food. Thanks for encouraging her and for sharing her site with us!

Amy said...

How fun! I am addicted to food blogs so I will be adding this to my feed. Great photography and nice clean design- love it!

Meredith said...

Cute!

I rarely share recipes, either. I get panicked that someone reading won't like the end result, and then they will have wasted all those ingredients.

My tactic: just make the food look appealing. Pretty I can do!

The Nester said...

heart her! I used one of her spices last night for chicken and my husband loved it. I cook so bland and need all the help I can get.

Pretty Organizer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim Hancock said...

Ok... those butter suckin hotdogs look delicious!