22 September 2008

Furniture Rehab 301 - A Distressing Technique

Here we are just 12 short weeks since our last installment in our Furniture Rehab Tutorial series and I'm finally ready for a new installment. If you would like to catch up and read the previous posts, you can find them here:

Furniture Rehab 101 - A simple chair painting project

Furniture Rehab 201 - Painting and recovering a piano bench

Today we'll cover a technique for distressing furniture using two different colors of paint. Here is the before picture.

Two beat-up thrift store chairs that I found for $3 each.

And here is the after...

I wanted to try a technique where you have a different color of paint peeking through the distressed areas. In this case the chair is black with blue in the distressed areas.

These chairs had been painted numerous times before so they needed a lot of sanding to smooth down the chipped areas and get them ready for a new coat. I'm sure you shabby girls would have thought they were perfect as-is. And they were.

For this project, I got out the power hand sander. Wooooooooo doggies!!! So much faster than trying to do it all by hand. I still had to do the rungs and spindles by hand but the power sander still cut way down on the work.

Look at all the colors under there...white, green, red and yellow. These chairs have been around for a while. Once they were smooth enough, I gave them a couple of good coats of primer. Of course, I forgot to take a picture of this step, so you'll have to take my word for it. :-)

Now starts the fun part. Since I want the distressed areas to be blue, that has to be my first coat of paint. I used Kilz Calling Bird blue paint for the base coat. I was so tempted to leave them this beautiful blue color.

Since this color is going to be covered up by our top coat, I didn't worry too much about making this color perfect. I just made sure the get the areas that I was going to distress.

After the base color was completely dry I took a wax candle and rubbed it over the areas of the chair where you would normally see distressing from everyday use...the edge of the seat, the top of the rungs and the edges of the back.

This step will prevent the topcoat from sticking to the blue color and will make it easy to sand off. You can do as much or as little as you want. The more you wax, the more distressed your piece will be.

Next comes the topcoat of color. I used Kilz black in a satin finish. Each chair got two good coats with the spray paint. As you're painting, you may notice that the paint starts to bead up on the areas with the wax. This is fine.

Once the black paint was completely dry, I came back with a very fine grit sandpaper and lightly rubbed it over the areas where I put the wax. The top coat of black came right off revealing the pretty blue underneath.

Wait a minute! Did an itty-bitty birdie leave an itty-bitty poo on my chair while it was drying? Gross!!!

And that's it! I didn't put on a clear protective coat because I don't mind if they become even more distressed with use. But if you want more protection for the finish, you could use a spray polyurethane topcoat. I would choose a satin finish so that it's not too shiny.



post signature

52 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Unknown said...

That looks so great! I love it. And I like the shade of blue you chose.

Anonymous said...

oh yeah Kimba, what a great tute!

I love how they were to start with, love the blue in the middle but the finished result does look amazingly good doesn't it?

those chairs must have been around a bit to have all those different layers on, so good when you find things like that for that price, one of the reasons I like to thrift so much...

i love seeing befores and afters, thanks for the inspiration

Sarah

Mary-Catherine said...

Oh wow! I absolutely love the finished product. What a great idea! I'm so excited to have stumbled upon such a great blog!

Mrs. Gray's Class said...

Beautiful! Was that blue color a spray paint as well - if so - the world of spray painting is bigger than I thought.

Sarah Kate said...

I really like it. It is great for when you can't decide the color. I never thought of using wax. I painted a lot of furniture this weekend and didn't think of distressing, maybe I will try it.

Darlene said...

Good Morning Kimba,

Another great tutorial!! Those chairs look FABULOUS as does everything you do!!!

Bo said...

Now that you have given me the "how to" all I need is the "want to"...LOL...It seems like my energy is becoming more stubborn everyday and just gives me enough of it for the bare essentials... ;-) Bo

Julie said...

I love this! The blue color is great.
julie

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

That looks SO cool! Great tutorial, I'll have to try the candle trick!

Blessings,
Stacey

Marie said...

The chairs look great! I love the blue color peeking through. :O)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Very nice, Kimba...I've seen this method before & it looks like it works great. Now I wonder where these chairs are going?

Shannon said...

I have always wondered how to do this! Thanks for the candle tip!

They look great!

Inspired Kara said...

I've seen this done wtih vasaline too.

Question, I've never spray painted anything in my home (i know). Do you use satin finish on all of your paint jobs?

These Are The Days said...

So great! You are a pro at everything you do. I love your blog and look forward to every post. Have a great day.

AliceAnderson said...

Lovely! I'm on the hunt now for chairs that I can refinish. I have 3 spots just waiting for one. :)

Caren said...

They look great. I love the candle wax idea, never would have thought of that.

Jerri Lynn @ Southern Sassyness said...

Love this - so helpful! Cute chairs!

My First Kitchen said...

Love the bird poo. Life happens, right? Great tip on the wax! I never would've thought about that. My mom is a queen distresser, and between you and her, I should be able to do this in my house successfully. Thanks for the tutorial. Aaand I'm still excited about the possibility of a class with you and your sister!! :)

queenbee said...

Very cool technique. I have been afraid to distress, but with this tutorial I just might give it a try in the future. First I need to tackle my oak kitchen table and chairs with a nice coat of black spray paint. My chairs have spindles as well, were they hard to get to with the paint? What type of sander and staple gun do you use?

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Yea - and here's my dilemma. I already have 4 things that I have stolen (well bought) at yards sales...haven't painted them. Came across a GORGEOUS, antique dining room table this past SAt. with 5 chairs. 2 are great, 3 need work, plus table needs to be painted. Passed them up, but gave her my number in case she didn't sell them. She didn't...now she will give them all to me for $20. Do you know how fabulous it will be painted black and used as a study table? My sons are screaming NO!! Paint what you have!!! OHHHH...what to do? :)

Sarah Mae said...

Wow, you are seriously so darn creative! I think I need to master rehab 101 before I venture to distressing! Beautiful work! :)

Carry Grace said...

I love the blue peaking through! Great color choices.

Wendy said...

You learn something new everyday. I didn't know the wax trick! Thanks for the tutorial...now I have a new technique in my bag of tricks! :)

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

Looks great. I can not keep up with you and your little projects. Great ideas.

I would love it if you would post your front door so I can see the black door with the white trim.

Heathahlee said...

They are beautiful! I've been wondering if I could do the same with my dining room chairs. They were my grandmother's, so I'm reeeeeeally nervous to try this on them, even though they are looking really worn.

Tiffany said...

Your chairs look great! Thanks for the wax tip, I haven't heard that before.

Are you familiar with spray stripper? This stuff is awesome! You just spray it on like a foam and it totally separates paint from wood. You just scrape it off.

Beth at Aunties said...

I agree with Sarah, Kimba it was a wonderful tute!
The blue peaks through perfectly and to think you used a candle to get that effect. You are sooo clever!
Beth

Valarie Lea said...

Oh I love that!!! Feel free to use that idea on any other projects you might be working on. hint hint ;) That is if you have not already started on any certain other projects. :)

Amanda said...

Oh Kimba!!! I love the blue and the black. The chairs look amazing and I will be using your wax trick very soon! Thank you for sharing.

Deb said...

The candle is such a good idea. I've heard of using vaseline so that the paint doesn't adhere to certain areas, but the way from the candle is brilliant. I'm going to use that technique on my daughter's dresser I'm planning on painting. Beautiful result.

Anonymous said...

What pretty-shabby chairs! Love the tutorial!!

Blessings to you and yours,

Tausha said...

I love them. I love the sky blue under the black-i would have never thought to do that.
Ok-I just had to share a thought-i never prime anything. espescially with two different colors of spray paint. i only prime-if it's metal. Just a thought to save you a couple of mins when you paint. I know that you are a pro painter-but i just wanted to share what works for me. i actually feel kind of stupid sharing painting tips with you-kind of like telling the queen how to rule her people! :)
Hope that you will still love me! or at least like me! :)
try it and let me know!

Katie said...

Awesome, great job!

Unknown said...

What is it with the birds? I was doing a distressing project this weekend and went outside to see how the drying was coming along and what do you think was on my chair? You guessed it, a big bird POO! ugh! Entire yard to poo in and they have to select my chair. All well.

It looks great, btw!

Jo said...

Wow, that looks great! The blue and black look perfect together.

Amber said...

Kimba - The chairs look awesome! What an inexpensive re-do!

Gretchen said...

Thank you, thank you! I've done some painting, distressing and staining, but I didn't know how to do the waxing part. I'd heard of it, but never knew the technique!
A-maz-ing!!!

Claremont First Ward said...

They look incredible. I would have never known to use wax.

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Great chairs, great price, great tutorial! Jackie

Anonymous said...

Those are fabulous! And you make it sound so easy that I may just run out and try something like that myself.

Lorie said...

They turned out very nice! And thanks for the trick about the candle wax!!

Devon said...

this is so neat! glad i stumbled upon your page!! thanks for sharing!

Shirley said...

Those chairs look so good! I've done a little distressing but didn't know about using the wax. I'll have to try that next time. It makes sense that it would work good. Thanks for the wonderful ideas. I really enjoy your site.

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

I love that blue shade! But of course I love the black too. Those look so great! I am always seeing great chairs at thrift shops but I have run out of places to put more chairs, darn it! Those are so cute I wish I had somewhere to copy you!
Carrie

Anonymous said...

oooooooooohhhhhh!! thanks so much for showing us. they turned out so pretty. now i need an old chair ;)

The Beauty Bargainista said...

I love this technique. you would think I had done this one my computer chair, but I just sit in it too much and it looks like this! :) hehe!! Thanks so much for the tutorial.

Kelly said...

Thanks Kimba for doing this. I learned something new today. Will give this technique a shot in the near future.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous, that's all I can say!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tutorial. That looks nice. I'm a rookie at the spray painting, and I've been wanting to try the two color thing. Thanks for showing me how!
Sherri

Laura said...

Great job - thanks for the tutorial!

Cookie said...

Kimba,

Thanks so very much. You're a life saver. I have hunted high and low to figure this out. I have to do eight chairs. They are dark now and I want antique white with a antique oak peeking through. Now I think I'm ready. If this works, on to the china cabinet. Fingers crossed.

Again, thanks.

Denise

Cindy said...

That is lovely! So much classier than what I do. I paint the whole piece then go at it blindly with a sander...no thought no self control. Sort of like the way I've lead my life. Don't judge me!