24 July 2008

A Gardening Update and A Small Tip

Remember a few weeks ago when I showed you how I repot my hanging baskets for my front porch? Well, a few weeks of water and Miracle Grow and here they are now.



Here's my little tip for you. Get yourself to the store - Lowes, Walmart, Joanne - wherever they sell the metal hanging planters with the cocoa liners. They make a simple hanging basket look so much more beautiful and striking.

You should be able to find them on major clearance at this time of year. I bought mine 5 years ago on deep discount at the end of the summer. I probably spent $20 on all 4 of them. I've since replaced the liners twice. Mine are getting a little rusty so next year I'll probably paint them. Just had to work that in here! :-)



Doesn't my front porch look sad and empty now? You can see what it looked like before I started packing it up here.




post signature

34 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Anonymous said...

I have those same baskets... I love them. I have ferns in mine at the momment. Looking forward to that new house and what you will do with that back patio.... Im sure somthing will get painted...=)
Hope it will be a better day today! ((HUGS))..Susie h~

Megan @ Megity's Handmade said...

Ooooo....I have flower envy. My flowers are doing soooo bad.

Lacy said...

The wire baskets are my new fav. I have the blanter box ones under my two front windows. I need a hanging basket to match! If you need to get some of the stuff you packed off of your hands so hubby doesnt see...Ill be happy to take them off your hands. Hee HEE!! Thanks for being a great example of how we are suppose to handle our stress and life. Prayer and relying on the Lord is the way.

V and Co. said...

okay i want your porch, no wait i want your house, or i mean your sold house. seriously that is my *DREAM* house.

Chris said...

My mom's #1 advice for flowers is Miracle Grow! What a difference it makes! I love the deal that you got on those, so now I have to go look for the same deal. :-)

duchess said...

Your flowers are beautiful.
I have baskets like this & love them although they were hard for me with ferns. They dry out quickly & I (sometimes) forgot to water everyday. (hehe)

Anonymous said...

oh those baskets are so gorgeous...gotta love Miracle Glow, it's saved me a few times

Trixi said...

Oh, Kimba, it looks sad now but it will be so worth it, once you are in that new house!!! When my dad and stepmom moved to the beach last year, I inherited 4 of those same metal baskets. In all the hustle and bustle of moving I have forgotten them. I will break them back out. Now, to decide, front porch or back porch. Decisions Decisions.
Have a great day!!!

Debbie said...

I don't have a place to hang them but they are pretty. And I swear by Miracle Gro...that stuff is like steroids for plants!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

I actually found some less ornated planters with the coco at the dollar store. I put some $2 swedish ivy in them, and they are beautiful. Next year I will be doing that for all of my plants. You are right this looks so much better than the plastic pots.

Heathahlee said...

Those just make your porch look so homey...I have been thinking about doing something like that for my poor front porch but my husband has put me on a buying freeze until I actually do something with the stuff I've already bought! You should see the birds...

Marie said...

I've never bought those baskets before...but they are pretty! I am usually very limited in what kind of plants or flowers I buy. Since we move so often, I can't take them with me. It's depressing always leaving them behind! The flowers DID buy this summer are looking horrible. The sun is so hot they croak in no time!

carrie said...

Hi Kimba,

I love the hanging baskets..so classy looking. Better than the plastic looking already done ones that grace most of our area.yuck.

Carrie.

Unknown said...

Kimba,
Your plants look great. And you are so right...you can get some great looking plants at Lowes! I check there all the time.
Have a great day,
Diane

trish said...

I love your porch! It is so warm and welcoming! Your flowers are beautiful! I have never used Miracle Grow (please don't be too shocked - I am 39 years old and have never had a pedicure either..). I will need to remember that on my shopping list - the Miracle Grow. :o)
Praying that today will be a better day for you. :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Caren said...

They look beautiful! I've used those baskets before but never have luck, they dry out too quickly for me. I've even tried lining them with plastic before I put the plant in...still no luck. Perhaps I'll look for a good sale on them and give it one more try as per your inspiration! They DO look so much nicer even if I did get a nice "terra cotta-ish" hanging one this year.

Christy said...

Your hanging baskets looks very pretty! I love those wire baskets too!

I just found your blog and I will be checking back!

Liz Harrell said...

The view from your porch is a stunner!

Jodi Nelson said...

I am totally looking for those baskets! My hanging plants looked, um, well, not so hot this year. I finally just took them down. Can't decide what's worse, the bad looking flower baskets or my empty porch. LOL.

The Beauty Bargainista said...

They look lovely! But arent you supposed to be packing, not decorating? lol

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Oh bummer...I just got back from Walmart before reading your post, and bought 10 Baskets of flowers. They have your exact ones for $2, but not in your cute pots. Sigh, I guess I'll have to go back..ugh, the price of gas.

Anonymous said...

Afternoon, Kimba! I love those baskets and your flowers look awesome!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Sarah said...

Love the flowers! I just got back from a Wal-Mart run and they have the hanging baskets on sale for $3 a piece, all different sizes. Actually picked one up for next year!

Kitty Scraps said...

Beautiful flowers!

Anonymous said...

I love those types of baskets and that is all I use. I can't stand those ugly plastic ones that most flowers come in. Your flowers look great!

Gretchen said...

Did you line the baskets with something?

I have some but the water seems to just dry out way too fast in the southern heat.

Yours are beautiful ... so pretty that you don't even notice the 'bare' porch.

Anonymous said...

I recently found your blog and I have to say you are totally inspiring. And THANK YOU, thank you for giving step by step instructions on your projects. I really love that because what might be a given to one person is NOT necessarily a given to someone else!
You have inspired me to do some painting I have put off for years (I totally heard Rocky music in my head) and I am actually excited instead of afraid to do it! (My husband will love me for the overspray that I'm sure will get on the garage floor!) Woo Hoo!

Very much enjoy your blog! I will visit often and I've already told a friend about you.

You are very talented and you just crack me up! :-)

Hope your move goes as well as a move can go.

emily freeman said...

Kimba, even empty your porch does not look sad...I am completely empathetic to your moving woes, though :) It was not so long ago...

Deidre said...

I'm enjoying your blog so much. I, too, am getting ready to move in THREE weeks. I've only packed my books. I'm in denial about the rest :)

I need some baskets like those - so cute!

Carri said...

What a gorgeous porch it looks extremely inviting. I would love to be able to sit and enjoy a nice cup of coffee on a early morning.

Lula! said...

Now THIS is right up my alley...I am not a decorating pro, but put me in the yard/garden amongst my flowers/veggies and I am in my element. Fabulous...and I've never done New Guinea Impatiens in a hanging basket, but that might go on my list for next summer.

KatBouska said...

I just love your little projects!

Blogger said...

Those look so pretty! I am on my THIRD hanging plant on the front of my house, no wait, FOURTH...I have really struggled with them this year...sigh....

I have you as a favorite on my Blog List, but I never get an update on you...or maybe you have 2 blogs?

Have a great day!!!

Bella:)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.