23 May 2008

Playing in the dirt

Show and Tell

It's Show & Tell Friday again and I'm going to show you a project that I did outside.

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about my trip to my favorite nursery here. A few of you asked me to post pictures of how I do my hanging baskets for my front porch. I fear that I may have set expectations a little high because I don't do anything terribly special. But if you're interested, here we go...

I start off with these supplies. A little potting soil...


My hanging baskets with new coconut liners...


I've had these baskets for a few years and they're getting a little rusty in spots. If I had more time, I probably would have spray painted them this year. Shocker! I do love this kind of planter. I just replace the coconut liners every couple of years. And whenever I do, I stand in the store trying to remember what size I need. Is it 14" or 16"? As you can see from the picture, I chose incorrectly. But I was in a hurry. No time to exchange them. They'll work fine the way they are.

These are the flowers I'm going to repot. They're nothing fancy...just New Guinea Impatiens. I've tried other things on my front porch but these work so well that I always come back to them. The porch gets morning sun and afternoon shade and these plants just love that.


Normally, I would buy the individual little plants and put 3 or 4 into each basket. But since we're selling our house, I was impatient for the baskets to look full and lush. Get it? Impatient with my impatiens? HA! Anyway, so I just bought the plastic baskets since the plants are so much bigger.

Here's what I do. Put some potting soil in the bottom of each planter...


Take the plant out of it's plastic pot and set it in the new basket...


Fill in around the plant with more potting soil.


That's it! Give it a little water and hang it up!


In a few weeks, the plants will be twice the size they are now. Water every day and fertilize with liquid Miracle Grow every 2 weeks. They'll last all summer and look beautiful.

Make sure you stop by at see Kelli at There's No Place Like Home to see some other great Show and Tell's.

22 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Susan of Pink Portuguese Roses said...

Very Pretty! I need to get some hanging baskets like that. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Oh and those muffins look so yummy!!! LOL!

Have a great weekend!

Susan
Pink Portuguese Roses

Muum said...

NIce! I posted my irises, they are just starting to bloom. Fun to find your blog!

Mrs. B said...

Your baskets are beautiful! Those are very pretty flowers that you used. I love the colors! I love hanging baskets on a front porch! I have some with red ivy geranium Since we don't have really extreme winters, they last all year. They actually bloom for a good part of the year too. I have some other baskets on our patio that I really need to replace the liners in because the birds have torn them up. But I'm lazy and didn't do it this year!

The Proverbs Wife said...

Thanks for sharing. I am always on the lookout for great homemaking tips. Your lawn looks wonderful. I you have centipede grass I would love to know what you do to it.

Also, thanks for commenting on my post "Flower Garden".

Susie said...

These are such a bright welcoming touch to the front of your house. My front gets hot afternoon sun, but I have had wonderful luck with the impatiens on our patio.
As you say with the miracle grow they just get bigger and bigger!
:)

Kat said...

I, too, will soon be hanging flowers on our front porch. I think for the past couple of years Impatients have been what I have been putting out. I really need to get something soon. I'm hosting a bridal shower in a couple of weeks, and I'd like it to look all "pretty" when guests drive up.

Heathahlee said...

That looks so pretty! Thanks for the tutorial, Gloria! :)

My husband cracks up every time he reads your comment on my giveaway post!

Rue said...

Hi Kimba :)

Your flowers look absolutely beautiful and your lawn ain't too shabby either darlin'!

Planting is a good way to relax isn't it? ;)

Have a beautiful night,
rue

Susan said...

You did a great job. I love Impatients, too.
Susan

Charlie Silver said...

I love how these turned out! I have such a bad time with flowering plants, but these look really cute. In my current house, we have no porch overhang, so I have nowhere to put baskets.

Deb said...

Beautiful plants Kimba, and a great lesson in planting too. Deb

Anonymous said...

Very pretty planters. I love the pink flowers. Your photos are so vivid!

The Farmer Files said...

and your grass is so emerald, too!

Abbreviated said...

I see your Japanese maple in the background of one of those pics !

Will have to google the one you said your mom has.

Heather said...

These are beautiful! Not having much knowledge of plants/planting.... is there a difference between the coconut liners and the regular hanging plastic pots? Do they make the flowers grow better? They certainly look a lot nicer! Good luck selling your house!
-Heather :)

Heather said...

Those are so pretty!! I've seen those coconut planters in the store and wondered if they'd hold moisture in the soil better. I live in a very dry place and I have to water my flowers twice a day sometimes.

Kathy said...

Your hanging baskets are just beautiful!...Kathy@ Mimi's Garden

Kelli said...

Your hanging baskets are so pretty and they are such a nice touch to your house!
~Kelli

Deb said...

Hi Kimba, just doing a little visiting, hope your holiday is great. Deb

Kindra-At Home With K said...

What a great show and tell! Thanks for showing us your "secrets"!! :) I went to a flea market this past Saturday and they were selling fresh flowers in those coconut liners and some were in big baskets and other in wire baskets for $45-$60!!! And people were buying them left and right. Crazy!

I hope you are having a great long weekend. Oh, how did your open house go? I hope well.

kari and kijsa said...

Those are incredibly beautiful!

Have a wonderful Memorial Day!

smiles, kari & kijsa

Decor To Adore said...

What a beautiful house! I can't wait to come back and look at your other posts.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.