26 May 2008

My front porch

I mentioned the other day that I was working like crazy to get ready for an open house that we had on Wednesday. I can't say that the open house was a roaring success. It was cold and miserable that day so not too many folks came out. On a side note...It's the end of May, for Pete's sake! I could go for a little global warming here!!! But I digress...


Even though the open house was slow, I was glad that we had it because it forced me to dress up my front porch a bit. We're lucky to have a front porch that runs the length of the house and is wide enough to actually enjoy.
Here's a picture of the front of our house...


This is the space that I was working on...it's the left side of the porch if you're looking at the front of the house.


And here's how it looks now...


Do you recognize that yellow stool? I wrote about it here. I thought it looked so cute there! Everything out there is stuff that I already had. The blanket, pillows and candles were all borrowed from other rooms in my house.

My favorite part is the curtains. I love how they make it feel more like a room without blocking the view. It's just a set of sheers that I bought at Target a long time ago and a gold panel from Big Lots. I bought it a while back for a couple of bucks just because I liked the fabric and planned to cut it up and use it for another project.

There's a little tip for you. Keep your eyes open for curtain panels when they're on clearance. You can sometimes get them for dirt cheap and it's way cheaper than buying that same amount of fabric off a roll.

Anyway, the curtain panels are hung on one of those really cheapo rods with the return on the ends so they kind of stick out from the window. It's nothing decorative but it was cheap and easy to hang and I can easily take it down if we have a big storm coming.

So back to the tour...

I also borrowed a couple of park benches from my friend and used one of them at the other end of the porch. You walk by this one on your way to the front door.


And I put the other one on the little patio that's at the end of the porch.

I don't know if it will help sell the house but I wish that I had done this 6 years ago! I love sitting out there with my cup of coffee.

And my bloggy friend, Heathahlee at Butterfly Genes, is hosting a cute giveaway on her blog this week. Stop by and tell her where you're from!

82 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Nicole said...

Ok, so your house is just as darling as I thought it would be. I LOVE the big porch, it looks so inviting. If I lived by you, I would totally buy it. Good Luck!

Courtney said...

I would buy it too! Your house is just picture-perfect. I love what you did with the curtains! and the stool...and...and...I'm gushing, I know...needless to say, I approve :-)

aimee said...

Oh it has such great curb appeal!! I want to come sit on your porch with my morning coffee too!!!

Kat said...

Oh, my! How preeeeeetty :)

Susan of Pink Portuguese Roses said...

Your home is so pretty! It will sell in no time at all.


Susan
Pink Portuguese Roses

Heathahlee said...

Kim, that's so pretty! The "before" and "after" pictures are just like out of a magazine. If and when we get ready to sell our house, I am so gonna need your help! :)

Amanda Jo said...

Your house is beautiful! Great job on the curb appeal!!

Anonymous said...

What a great front porch I love the transformation. Does it make you want to stay?

Blanca

Sissy said...

Very cute. I think my favorite part is the curtains. Those are wonderful and I would love that little corner of my porch. If we had a porch. Sigh.

Caren said...

Bee-you-dee-full as they say in this part of PA! (or at least the part I just moved from ;) ) That stool looks just darling. I love it, love it, love it. The curtains look great too and I love your tip about inexpensive curtain panels instead of fabric. I do that too! Good luck selling the house.

Marie said...

Your porch is so pretty!!! I long for a front porch...maybe my next house!

I love your red front door. I was tossing around the idea of painting my door red too. My husband thinks our house has no curb appeal. I was officially insulted. lol

KatBouska said...

So cute!! It doesn't seem like you should have any problems selling it.

And I LOVE the curtain idea...spruced that whole porch up real good!!

Tangee said...

I so LOVE your house and everything you've done is just darling! I really enjoy dropping in here.

Chris said...

Oh my gosh, I love this! And people think this can only be done in magazine pictures...you showed them! Sooo cute.

Mrs. B said...

Hi Kimba! What a beautiful home you have! The front porch looks great! I just love the little seating groups. I bet buyers will love it!

Heather said...

Your porch is to die for!! I love how cheery it looks. Good job!

Kindra-At Home With K said...

You have a gorgeous home! Now why are you moving, exactly? :) The front porch makeover screams come sit a spell! Love it!

Thanks for the nice comments about my handmades and good luck on the giveaway!

Rue said...

Hi Kimba :)

Your house is so cute and the porch looks amazing! LOVE it :)

off to read more...
rue

Anna Maria Junus said...

Beautiful house, beautiful porch.

I don't think I've ever seen a porch with curtains before. What a clever idea!

Jacki McHale said...

I want to steal the curtian idea and put it on my parents new big poarch! Thanks!

Jacki
via SITS

Unknown said...

I absolutely love your house and what you did with it, it looks amazing

ugagirl30 said...

Ok, I want to buy your house. Any chance it is in Alabama? Who wouldn't buy that house? I gots to have me a porch!!

Caroline said...

What a charming home. Love the sprucing you've done!

Anonymous said...

very cute

Anonymous said...

The makeover is beautiful. I would love to have a cup of coffee.

John Deere Mom said...

LOVE the curtains! I never would have thought to do that, but it looks great!

Kristi said...

I just love a home with a wrap around front porch!!!

emily freeman said...

How did I miss this post? Your house looks just like the Baxter's house in Karen Kingsbury's Redemption series. Love. It. And that makeover is divine. Great Job! Glad the SITS girls told me to stop by :)

trash said...

HeY! I'm a SITS sister visiting and please may I come and live on your front porch? It really is lovely?

Sunshine said...

Found you at SITS and so glad I did! Beautiful home you have there! You did such a beautiful job. I looooove the front porches. I read your profile and I love how you want your home to be a soft place to land. My thoughts exactly! So, can I come over and have some coffee w/you on that grand porch? And then roll down that HUGE green lawn?

Please?

-Bridget said...

What a welcoming entry! Great job!

Unknown said...

I love your front porch. It definetly screams 'Come sit awhile!'.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I love what you did with the front porch. Since you are moving...the house next door to me is for sale. It needs your touch. I'll bring the tea and strawberry shortcakes :-)

Sherri said...

I am jealous!! I want a front porch like that!!

Sheri said...

Hi. Can you please come and make my house look all comfy and welcoming? Please? I only have enough talent to say, "yes, I like that" and copy it! Came over from SITS, am having a wonderful time reading!

EmBee said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, that porch. Our neighborhood has these things they pass off as front porches but they're only wide enough to fit a chair and leave little room for ones legs... but you, well, Now THAT'S a real porch! Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

OK, now I'm jonesing for your house too. Did you sell that yet? 'Cause, if not, I'll take it...only if it comes with the pink stool.

Gina said...

FABU! You're making me wish I could finish cleaning so I could decorate!

Mama Dawg said...

Beautiful. My mom just bought a parson's bench that she'll use on her wrap around porch when she gets her house built. I'll have to suggest the curtains to her.

Anonymous said...

What a darling house and the accents you added made such a big difference! Visiting via SITS.

Tami said...

I love your porch! It looks like a great place to sit and enjoy your coffee :)

Adiel | Rose Gold Lining said...

Wow, you're pretty fantastic at being creative. It inspiring me to want to do something with my living space.

Jennifer P. said...

I woulda bought that house and just lived on the front porch!

Lula! said...

My decorator said the peeps over at Ballard Designs want you to be their new artistic director.

Cecily R said...

PLEASE can we be friends? Then I will steal your house. No big deal. I will give you mine in return. :)

KatBouska said...

I think we all want you to come spruce up our porches now...when shall I be expecting you??

Rhea said...

I wish I had a great front porch like yours! I love the splash of color you added and the softness of the curtains. Great job! Looks like a wonderful place to hang out.

Melissa Lester said...

I love curtains on a porch! I think they add a nice touch of softness. I'm sure someone is going to jump at the chance to buy your house so they can sip some lemonade on that cheery porch!

WheresMyAngels said...

I would love to see the front picture again with everything you added. The curtains are my fav.

Judy Schwartz Haley | CoffeeJitters.Net said...

oh i'd love to have a front porch like that

starsgoblue said...

Looks lovely. I love porches!

Sarah Taylor said...

Everything looks so pretty! That yellow stool is perfect!
Sarah

S Club Mama said...

The curtains are probably the most adorable idea I've ever seen! If/when I ever get a house with a porch; I'm totally stealing that idea. I love it!

Anonymous said...

You are selling your house??? It gorgeous. Love what you did with the porch...so creative!

Anonymous said...

Very nice! You've given me some great ideas for my own porch. Thanks!

Simply Stork said...

that is some beautiful work done on the porch...I love it...maybe it is time to get to work on my porch?

~simply~

katylinvw said...

very cute! it looks like it would be a great place to relax in the evenings!

Alison said...

It looks so homey and peaceful. And the curtain idea is so original--I've never seen that done before.

Connie said...

Fantastic!

Lex the mom said...

I envy your large porch... You certainly have a knck for dressing things up. I would be enjoying the coffee on the porch all the time!

Karen said...

wow! I LOVE the curtains! And what a great view you have1 Sooo jealous :)

Sandi McBride said...

I love the privacy drape...front porches are thing here in South Carolina, but back porches are for shelling peas and shucking corn, getting ready for laying the garden by...I also love my back porch, lol
Sandi

Tausha said...

darling! You defniately made an extra room! Yea for the buyers yea for you, more money! Yea for right now, you get to thoroughly enjoy it! Yea ! I love it and wish i had a big porch. I know that we shouldn't covet, but I am coveting your porch!!

Melissa said...

Soooo jealous! In a good way! What a beautiful home you have!

Jen said...

Over here from SITS, and I think I'll be stopping by often!

Lori said...

Ugh, so this just reminds me I've got to do something with my porch. It's very similar; I'm getting some fun ideas ~ Thanks and great job! Good luck selling.

~ SITS sister

Tricia said...

Oh I love your porch, especially the curtains... they make the porch feel so special.
(here from SITS)

Anonymous said...

Genius! I'm dying to know what the view from the porch is...

Michelle said...

I'm so so jealous of your porch. That's one thing we compromised on in our house that I wish we hadn't (but not really an option to not, as they don't do those around here). You did a great job... and now I want to know when the house sells! I think my favorite part is the curtains. Nice job!

Me said...

Oooh, I love the curtains, and the throw pillows, and well, everything. Only a fool wouldn't buy your house.

One Crazy Chick! said...

The curtains are amazing!

Anonymous said...

Your house is amazing! I love the curtains and the colors you used. it's very bright and cheery.

my2boyz said...

looks so cute! Happy SITS day, you will have a SITS hangover tomorrow, trust me I still do !

Anonymous said...

Looks pretty comfy! I'd love to sit out there with my coffee, too!

Marla said...

I've always wanted a front porch like yours! fantastic!

Anonymous said...

SITS sister here - such an amazing decor job and gorgeous home in general - can't imagine why you would want to sell but I want to buy! Thanks for sharing all your great ideas.

-Lauren

AFRo said...

I'm a tad bit jealous of that fabulous porch! I'm a Southern girl and my goodness, it's the kind of front porch we grow up dreaming about having.

Gina said...

The CURTAINS!! I love the CURTAINS!!! What a GREAT idea!!!!

Unknown said...

What a great idea! Darling!

Anonymous said...

I love outdoor curtains... great idea! And the benches... I love the things we think of doing when we're selling our homes :-P My husband and I are about to move into a house we're building and my goal is to do the things I would do to sell it and hopefully never actually sell :-) we'll see how that goes...

Beth said...

i love when people blur the lines between inside and out - the curtains are fabulous!

Mammatalk said...

I absolutely love the curtains. They are fabulous!