27 May 2008

More gardening

The weather has finally warmed up a bit over here and I've been outside putzing. As opposed to being inside putzing. I love digging in the dirt and making something grow. I AM WOMAN! SEE ME GROW FLOWERS!

Anyway, I showed you my hanging baskets the other day here. Nothing fancy but pretty and functional. I thought I'd show you what I like to do with my patio pots for the summer. I got the idea to do two-tiered pots a couple of years ago from a fancy gardening catalogue. They wanted to charge some outrageous amount of money for the flowers and the pots. Of course, I figured I could do it cheaper myself. And I can...

Here is the picture that served as my inspiration...


That's white verbena cascading down over the pots. You can see that they have stacked one pot inside the other to create more height.

So here's what I do. I start with two pots. A big one and a much smaller one. I fill the bigger one about 3/4 full of potting soil. Then I set the smaller one on top and fill in around it to the top of the larger, bottom pot. See?



I like the top pot to be buried about 1/3 to 1/2 way up so that it stays stable. In the picture you can see that I just used the pot part of a plastic hanging basket.

For this one, I decided to use a Gerbera Daisy and Minion Bells (mini petunias). My son picked out the daisy for me for Mother's Day and I thought it looked pretty with the Minion Bells.



There's no magic to the planting part. I dug some holes in the soil in the bottom pot for the Minion Bells and kind of shoved them down in there. In a few weeks, they'll fill in and cascade the whole way down the pot.



Then I planted the Gerbera Daisy in the top pot. Voila! Fancy patio pot without the fancy price.



I'll post another picture in a few weeks when it fills in.

17 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Kat said...

You are reeeeeally making me think I need to get outside and do something in my yard!

Amanda Jo said...

I love your tips and ideas! Keep them coming! :)

Heather said...

THIS is brilliant and I must try it!! I have the perfect spot.

Gretchen said...

Beautiful! You've inspired me!

Susan of Pink Portuguese Roses said...

I have been wanting to do this with my pots for a while...but wasn't quite sure how to do it. Thanks for your tips! Maybe this weekend I'll get my act together and plant...LOL!

Have a great day!

Susan
Pink Portuguese Roses

Deserae said...

WOW! Your flowers are gorgeous! I have never seen two pots used together like that before but the result is amazing!

Your front porch looks so pretty and inviting! I love the drapery panels and the way they frame the porch :o)
~Des

Shannon said...

What a great idea! And you have a beautiful front porch!!

Amy Jo said...

huh. I never thought to do that. It turned out lovely!

Caren said...

Really great idea! I might have to try that one as I add more to my garden.

Tiffany said...

I love the flowers! Really beautiful. Thanks for coming by my blog :)

Chris said...

Oh how I love tutorials! What a great idea and a great choice in flowers. Make sure to update us when they start cascading!

Nicole said...

I'm not one for gardening, but you've got me thinking, maybee I should put on some gloves, and get to work, this is a really great idea.

Debbie said...

Hi Kimba, I clicked over here from Mindless Junque. I have actually seen your icon on my real life friend Tracey's blog (Make Room For). Anyway, I saw your comment on Heather's blog that your mood was directly related to the number of comments you got and it made me laugh because sometimes I feel that way too especially when I have worked hard on a post. So I thought I would check out your blog and say "HI." I love this planter idea..it is so smart. It's one of those "I should have thought of that myself" Anyways, I noticed you are from PA...I live in Virginia but I went to school at Penn State. Ok, I've hogged enough of your comment section. Just wanted to stop by and say HI, and I will be back!

meg duerksen said...

very cute!
that inspiration picture was probably mucho bucks!
when i see those big plants at the nursery with the $60 price tags i just can't imagine who buys those. they are annuals people!
your pots are going to look great!
good luck on your house showings. that is a major pain!

Courtney said...

what a fun idea! how I wish it wasn't gray and rainy here in Portland ;-)

Joy said...

Thanks for the great idea! I'm on my way to the nursery to buy plants so that I can copy you!

The Farmer Files said...

So cute! Reminds me of when I lived in Northern VA!!!