19 May 2008

Reviving a tired old stool

I just had to share this little project with you because I'm so excited with the end result.

I found this old sewing stool in my favorite flea market store for just a few bucks. Yucko! It was dirty and ugly but definitely had potential. It is sturdy, has a nice shape and is oh-so useful.


The top lifts off for storage and I could always use a little more of that. Ick! Just look at that ugly fabric!


I brought her home and decided to love on her a little. Normally I paint furniture black but I've been in the mood for some color recently so I decided to try something different. This was so easy, I feel kind of silly explaining it. But here goes...

First I found a piece of remnant fabric that I really liked for a couple of dollars. I pulled out my trusty staple gun - actually it's my husband's but I've co-opted it (maybe I should paint it pink). Anyway, recovering the seat is soooooo easy. I didn't even take off the old fabric. Just put the new fabric right over top. You just stretch the new fabric over the top and staple it to the bottom like this...



You can do the corners in a couple of ways...Some people like to just fold them like you were wrapping a present. I prefer to do tiny pleats like this. Either way; very easy. See?



Then I went to my favorite go-to product - spray paint!!! - but this time in a bright, glossy yellow! First a little primer, then a little spray paint and...

TA DA!!! Here she is in all her lemon yellow glory!


Do you have an old piece of furniture that you could bring some life to with just a little love? Give it a try! And have fun!

24 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Anonymous said...

I’m ogling over here. First of all love the fabric, but that yellow is just fab! I worked with yellow this weekend too. You’ll have to stay tuned for tomorrow’s post about my guest room.

sheila from life @ #17 said...

love that fabric...and your stool project reminds me that I really should, sigh, recover those dining room chairs...they're lookin' a little peaked...

The Proverbs Wife said...

Very pretty. I am going to be posting pictures of some napkins that I have made and a change purse for me daughter.

STop by sometime next week to check it out.

Thanks again for visiting my blog.

Kim said...

I love the fabric and the yellow is so pretty! Great job!

Nicole said...

cute, cute, cute!!! I have a feeling you have a beautiful house, someday post some pictures!

Heathahlee said...

I have so many things I need to throw some love on! I'm getting more and more inspired!!! :)

Tangee said...

Oh, hon, it's FABULOUS. I love what you did with it. It's just GRAND!

Chris said...

Oh my gosh, I love it! That fabric! Great job!

Anonymous said...

Love it!!! What a great little "spot" of color~!! Maybe I should find something to paint a color other than black!!!

Deb said...

Hi Kimba, thanks for stopping by. What a great project. First, when I saw the fabric, I just went "oh wow, and I like the pleated corners also. Then I was completely surprised at your color choice but it was amazingly beautiful. Great job, you've got me wondering what I can wake up around here. There are also a few tools around here that I can paint pink, due to frequent use. Have a great evening. Deb

Unknown said...

Oh I love it that turned out great don't you just love when something turns out that great!

aimee said...

Amazing redo! I love it!

Gretchen said...

a-maze-ing!!!

Where will you use it? Did you buy it with a specific use in mind or was it just something you couldn't pass up because of its potential?

Love, love love the colors!

meg duerksen said...

this is just the cutest little bench.
what a great choice of colors...you surprised me with that.

i love your thoughtful post on integrity.
i am lacking...and in need of work. the attitude one is a great start.
-meg

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Great trash to treasure! I love repurposing items!! I'm on my way to a flea market this weekend...I hope to find some treasure there that I can redo!!

Shannon said...

Ohhhh!! Those colors go so well together! I love it! PS I don't mind that you linked me at all! Thanks!!

Jennifer said...

You have a great eye for potential! What a transformation!

Carrie Cooper said...

wonderful stool!!! I love bringing life to old things don't you? Keep it up

Rue said...

Hi Kimba :)

I love what you did to this! The pop of yellow is wonderful. Great job!

rue :)

Amy Jo said...

love it! Isn't it great when a little bit of work gets great results?

Courtney said...

I LOVE this! well done! I was loving the fabric, but then when you painted it a nice gutsy yellow...loved it!

angela | the painted house said...

New to your blog...love the stool! And it looks so feisty on your front porch! Glad I stopped by. :)

Marie said...

I read your post today on the telephone bench you rehabbed and had to come see the stool too. I think I have the same fabric- or something very, very close on my desk chair. I love it! I wanted to cover my footstool with it too but I didn't have enough. Bummer. The stool looks GREAT!

Amber said...

Oh, I LOVE this! I don't always like yellow and white and black together because it sometimes looks a bit bumblebee like to me, but this combination turned out fabulous! I recently got a 6 ft. long buffet off of Craigslist that needs a little paint love. ;) I am excited to start working on it this week!