29 October 2009

Make Your Home More Welcoming - Challenge #6



Make them something yummy.

Even if you regularly have a homemade dinner on the table at 6pm sharp (I don't!), there's something extra special about having a little something sweet made for the one's you love.

It doesn't have to be some takes-all-day project. I'm a huge fan of popping some break-and-bake or slice-and-bake cookies in the oven. It makes the house smell divine and when you serve them with a glass of cold milk, you'll get no complaints.

If you're looking for something a little more special (but still easy), try my Apple and Pear Crisp Fake Out. No one will EVER guess how easy it is.

Just joining our Make Your Home More Welcoming Challenge? Click here to read all about it and join in.



photo credit: ilmungo

19 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Unknown said...

Ahhh I made your Apple Pear Crisp the other day and it was OOOOHHHH so yummy!

Brownies seem to fit the "bake something yummy" bill around here. They probably get made about once a week.

Suzann said...

I was JUST thinking about this. hmmmm.

Unknown said...

I agree, nothing shows love more than chocolate chip cookies. :)
In fact, if I wasn't so "loving", I probably wouldn't need to diet!

Lynn Kellan said...

Yes, there is nothing like the aroma of sweets or warm bread to welcome everyone into the house! I love your MYHMWelcoming suggestions!

slip4 said...

Great idea! I am going to make ginger cookies this afternoon for those returning from school. Yum!

Queen B. said...

OOOOOOOOOOO! THAT'S MY MOTTO.
I MAY NOT BE THE CRAFTIEST PERSON IN THE WORLD, BUT I SOOOO LOVE TO BAKE AND COOK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheryl said...

Chocolate Chip cookies are the number #1 fave here. I don't make dessert often as we are watching what we eat, but I think I will indulge the hubs this evening.

Blogs said...

As moms it's always nice to have a special baked good on the counter for our little ones:) I love baking and especially with them!!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

I just made a lemon meringue pie and I've got a pumpkin pie baking in the oven right now! LOL!!! (we've got company coming over for dinner...we'd never be able to eat that much pie...it'd be disastrous!)

stefanie said...

you are right, i think it makes your family sooo happy, dessert, who knew

Audra Lynn said...

from reading everyone else's comments, i clearly do not bake enough. time to start, i suppose. :)

toni said...

I struggle with this particular challenge because it is so hard to find / make goodies and desserts that are healthy :-/

bri and shawn said...

too bad this comes after a comment about baking healthily... ;)
Although I'm all for healthy, I DID make some SUPER easy pb cookies yesterday...1 cup Peanut butter, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 egg.
That's it, folks. Roll into balls, smush with a fork,bake 15 min.
Heavenly...if you like that sorta thing...

Andrea said...

I'm lovin' these 'Welcoming Challenges'. and incorporating them into our home :)

Hayley said...

I love to just pop cookies in the oven. My trick to make it fast and easy is to make an extra large batch and then while a dozen are baking in the oven, take my cookies scooper and scoop some cookies in a ziploc bag, laying flat soo they don't stick too much. Then pop it in the freezer and right the kind of cookie and the cooking directions on the bag, so that I can just grab a dozen or so and pop them in the oven whenever I want, and not have to pull out the sugar and flour every time :) Hubby loves it, because he can have fresh cookies any time he wants!

Marie said...

Hello Kimba - I love to bake this time of year. Not only does it make my little home smell yummy, but it makes the kids happy! Happy kids = happy Mama! Thank you for sharing.

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Some of these are tips that the Real Estate Broker I used to work for recommended to her clients to create a more homey atmosphere for buyers. :) The smell of cookies or bread can't hurt! I baked a great chocolate cake the other night, and my hubby was so excited when he came home from work. :)

Richella Parham said...

This is a really nice series, Kimba. Thank you for making us all stop and think about what we're really about.

Sandra said...

Yumm! My kids would hover over those cookies! :)
Blessings,
Sandra