28 October 2009

Make Your Own Stick Bundles

I love those expensive stick/grass/willow bundles (what are they called, anyway?) that you see in all the stores. But the ones I was looking at the other day were between $25 & $35. YIKES! Not happening!

Here's how to make your own. So easy and only $4.00!

Supplies:

  • Tin can
  • Brown spray paint
  • Plaster of paris
  • Grass, sticks or branches
  • Jute rope
  • Hot glue



Step 1: Paint your tin can brown (or another color that matches your sticks/grass/branches. That's so that if a bit of the can shows through the final product, you won't really be able to tell.

Step 2: Mix up some plaster of paris and put it in the bottom of each can for weight. You could use anything you wanted to give them some weight. But I wanted to make sure that whatever was in mine didn't spill out when my little hooligans knock them over.


Step 3: Hot glue a piece of floral foam into the can right on top of the hardened plaster.


Step 4: Start sticking in your sticks. My stick-grass stuff came in a big bundle from Joann for $4.00 (50% off!). You can find it at any craft store.


Step 5: Hot glue the sticks, grass or brances around the outside of the can. Don't worry if a bit of the can shows through because you painted the can brown, remember?


Step 6: A little rustic twine to finish off the bottom.


Step 7: Wrap it around a few times.


Step 8: Tie another piece of twine around the grass right above the top of the can. If you're using something stiff like sticks, you won't need to cinch it so tight.


This article was originally posted on October 16, 2008.

~~~~~~~~~

My newest sponsor, Completely Coastal, is hosting A Cool Coastal Giveaway on her blog today. Check it out! Her site is full of all things beachy, nautical and coastal.

42 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Jenn said...

I love this idea. so simple yet elegant!

Unknown said...

Smart, simple & beautiful, love it!

Lettered Cottage said...

Fantabulous!!!

GREAT tutorial!

Layla :-)

susan said...

Thanks for the stick bundle tip! Made the apple and pear crumble this week. Very tasty!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea (and simple!). Like it...

Unknown said...

OMG~ I stood there with my mouth open at the final photo. I really appreciate this project. It looks incredible for display this time of year.

Be sure to visit my blog post about Papa's Hand Painted Fresco's In Southern Italy if you have already seen my dad's Masterpieces!

Danielle @ Transforming Home said...

Great tutorial!
Time to get out my glue gun!

Heather Henderson said...

i love that!! That might go on my list of Christmas decorations.

trish said...

Good Morning Kimba,
I have one of your brooches that I purchased last year, on a big bow in a picture that I blogged about today! Whew ... I should have used a comma in there somewhere huh?! :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for something living to go on my mantle along side my fall tin pieces. This would be perfect. Just where did you find the tall grass?

Lee Wallace said...

What a great idea! Love it!

Debbie Petras said...

Kimba, I love how you share these DIY projects. Love this one and especially the savings. It really helps me when I can see the photos.

I so appreciate your visit to Heart Choices the other day. I always look forward to your Sunday posts but I also enjoy your other writings too. A Soft Place to Land is such a peaceful place for me to visit and ...escape for a time. And that's a good thing.

Blessings,
Debbie

Michelle Alley said...

Thanks for the tutorial, I'll have to try this!

Unknown said...

Great ideal, thanks so much for sharing.
Sandy

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh, it looks just gorgeous. Great tutorial too. Thanks, I will have to try this. Hugs, Marty

Maya@Completely Coastal said...

Awesome! And thank you so much for the mention!!!

Nicole said...

Thats such an awesome tip!! Thanks! I'm going to try and make them next weekend when I decorate for the holidays!

Staci at Craftify It ! said...

I love the way they look all bundled up...I think I will be doing this very soon! THANK YOU!

Room to Inspire said...

What a great idea - super creative. I do love grasses, but they are SO expensive. Thanks for the tutorial.

Chelsea

Trac~ said...

AWESOME! I love this idea and much more inexpensive then the ones in the store for sure! Thanks for sharing! :o)

Cheryl said...

Love your stick bundle. It looks great there by your pumpkin looking so very designer. Thanks for sharing how you made it.

House Queen said...

I absolutely LOVE this! Thanks so much for sharing!

Nicole @ the style hatch said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!!!

Skyes Scribbles said...

Once again! you have AHHHMAZED me! thank you for this idea! you're so smart!

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

how fun! I am bookmarking this so it is officially on my to-do list!

Heathahlee said...

It was pretty then, it's pretty now! : )

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

I love that! You made it look so easy.

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

This is such a great idea. Sticks ARE so ridiculously expensive. This is such a simple and smart way to make a beautiful bundle.

Ellie Kings said...

Wow! Amazing!

House Elf said...

very nice - love how you did the bottom - my stick bundle keeps falling over - I but the can would solve it!

Moody said...

I am crazy about this idea, I am so doing this now.. Thank you for sharing...

m & j @ zcouple.com

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

I love this!!!! Perfect simple and elegant! Thanks for sharing!

Journeying Five said...

positively lovely effect!

emptynest4two said...

Love it! I think the technical term for them is bunchy,sticky things..;-)

Candace said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suzann said...

I just saw one of these at the store that was $39.99 on sale for 50% off and I said - that's too much danged money!!! I did want it, but I didn't give in. Now I'll be making my own thanks to you.

Mombrud said...

I like that! Just what I need!

Clint & Alicia McLaws said...

love it! a tutorial i'll have to try in the near future! :)

a woman who is said...

Brilliant! Thanks for the show and tell.

Candace said...

I LOVE THIS SITE!! Thank you for all your inspiration! I am so new at this blogging thing, but thank you for all your great ideas! I love this one, by the way!

Sherri said...

Thanks so much for the idea! This IS something I will be making in the near future! My fireplace NEEDS it and I love it.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

This is fantastic, thanks so much for sharing! I'll be linking to this. I need to make some new decor pieces now that it's time to take the pumpkins down.