12 October 2009

In the Kitchen: Apple and Pear Crisp Fake-Out

Every once in a while, I feel the need to be true to the name of my blog and give you an idea for creating A Soft Place to Land for your family. And there's not better way to do that than to fill their noses with sweet smells and their bellies with baked fruit and buttery, crunchy topping.

You're welcome.

This dessert is impressive enough to serve to company but easy enough to throw together on a whim. It's my go-to dessert in the fall because it's so yummy and no one ever knows how quick and easy it is. Trust me.

Here's what you need...Canned, sliced pears (Yep! Canned! No one will ever know), canned apple pie filling, oatmeal (regular or quick cooking), butter (Awwwww, yeah!), brown sugar and cinnamon.

Drain those cans of pears (4 of them) and dump them into a baking dish (I used a 9x13). Dump the apple pie filling (1 can) in there too. Give it a good stir. Wipe the sweat from your brow. This is hard work, no?

Mix together all your dry ingredients in a separate bowl. That's 1-1/2 cup oats, 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon.

Now cut up your butter (3/4 cup...That's 1-1/2 sticks) and put it in with your dry ingredients. Gosh, I love butter.

This next part is fun. Get your fingers in there and start smooshing the butter into the dry ingredients. Keep smooshing until your mixture looks like coarse crumbs. You could use a fork for this part if you have an aversion to getting butter on your fingers. But it's way easier to use your hands.

A note about crumble toppings...I have strong opinions on fruit crisps/crumbles/cobblers/bobblers...Most recipes have too much fruit and not enough crunchy, sweet, buttery topping for my taste. I've fiddled with this recipe over the years to get just the right proportion of fruit to crisp topping.

See? How pretty does that look? Just crumble the topping evenly over your fruit mixture and you're ready to go.

Bake this pan of fruity, sweet goodness at 425 degrees for 30-35 minutes. You want the fruit to be all hot and bubbly and the topping to start to get crispy and browned.

Allow the crisp to cool for a few minutes and then serve it up with some vanilla or cinnamon ice cream. Do NOT skip this step. Ice cream is critical.

Enjoy!

Apple and Pear Crisp Fake-Out

4 cans (15 oz each) sliced pears, drained
1 can (20 oz) apple pie filling
1-1/2 cups old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats, uncooked
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, cut up
Ice cream

  1. Preheat oven to 425ยบ.
  2. Combine pears and apple pie filling in 9x12" baking dish.
  3. Combine dry ingredients (oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon)in bowl.
  4. Mix in the butter using your fingers or a fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
  5. Crumble the topping over your fruit.
  6. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the fruit is hot and bubbly and the topping is crisp and browned.


Edited to add: I just linked this post up to the Recipe Party @ Southern Hospitality.

75 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Terry said...

Sounds yummy - I'll have to make this one. I also love the crunchy topping too - can't ever have too much of that. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Wow. trying not to drool on the 'old laptop here. I'm a fan of "more topping, less fruit" too! :) Thanks Kimba.

Cheryl said...

thank you for sharing this recipe. It looks delicious. When I make apple crisp I can never get the crisp part to be crispy. I am going to try your recipe and hopefully I will be successful. maybe i am not using enough butter...or maybe too much.

{northern cottage} said...

Good morning Kimba - yummy! thanks for sharing this quick dessert ( I LOVE the quickness of the canned ingredients) Here is a link to one of my posts with the BEST fall dessert ever - pretty easy too (using bisquick) but SOOO delish!http://northerncottage.blogspot.com/2009/10/comfort-food-meatloaf-french-apple.html

Unknown said...

Awww...thank you! That looks incredible!

Reid said...

Looks so yummy and easy! thanks for sharing!

Darlene said...

Oh that sounds DELICIOUS on this cold, rainy morning. I'll definitely be making this one!!!

Richella Parham said...

Oh, excellent! I agree with you about the fruit-to-topping ratio. Thank you for fiddling with this one until you got it all figured out. . . and then passing it on to us.

I am so impressed and grateful that this calls for canned fruit! Hallelujah! Finally, a recipe that is PRACTICAL. Thank you!!

A Southern Rose said...

I know that the kids will love this one and I will too! Yum! Thanks

Heather said...

This is my favorite type of baking!

Chris said...

I'm pretty sure this recipe makes you my best friend. Work potlucks, here I come!

Pine Tree Home said...

Looks delicious! Can't wait to try it out tonight.

rebekahweckerly@gmail.com said...

Oh yummmmmm......This is going to be bokmarked for sure!!!

Anne said...

I love me some fruit crisps.

Cheryl - do you use real butter in your crisp toppings? I've learned that butter substitutes leave the crispy top not-so-crispy.

Annie @ astonesthrowfrominsanity said...

I am ready to eat myself happy!
Annie @ astonesthrowfrominsanity

Liz said...

Sounds so good.And easy.My kind of recipe.

Anonymous said...

You're always true to the purpose of your blog, Kimba, so no worries there! This recipe sounds so yummy and "comforting". I need comfort food today since it's SNOWING right now. OMG. I can't believe it. Hope you have an awesome day!
pk @ Room Remix

Unknown said...

Yum!! That sounds so good and so easy! Kimba - I'm actually featuring pear recipes today on my blog!! If you have a chance, please come by and link it up!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

oh girl - this is one that I LOVE...
link it up for Tasty Tuesday. It's that time of the year when we are drooling for this. :)

Audra Lynn said...

yum! going to the grocery store today.

nina@themissadventuresofnina said...

Oh, sounds Delish!
So going to try this one, thanks for sharing.

Kimmy said...

yummy... makes my tummy grumble... I have a ton of pears in the fridge... I may have to make this - now! ~ kim

Tonya Gunn said...

That is a great idea for when all the canned apples are gone! Yummy. Thank you for sharing.

Joanna said...

Yummy! I love apple anything baked and throw in pears, oh my!

Anonymous said...

yum, yum, yum! i love fruit crisp! thanks for this easy recipe! maybe its too easy! yikes! i might be tempted to make it too often!

Georgia Girl said...

Sounds yummy...I think I am going to try this next week...My husband and I are having a dinner rehersal and this would be quick and yummy.

I also make something like this but you just use 2 cans of pie filling, I use blueberry, but any kind is good. 1 box of butter Cake Mix and 1 stick of butter and cinamon.

You pour the pie filling in pyrex add cinnamon on top and then dump cake mix and add the melted butter over the top and bake 350 for 30 minutes. Easy as that and yummy.

I like your recipe so gotta try this.

Heather Henderson said...

yummy!! have you ever tried it with just apples, or other canned fruits? It seems like the recipe is adaptable to anything.

Dresser Girl said...

YUM!! And lucky me, I'm headed to the grocery store soon!!

dawn said...

I appreciate your concern for the fruit to topping ratio...you've got our backs for sure. I'm making it!

Sarah @ Hennessey House said...

my stomach would SO appreciate this!

Anonymous said...

This looks incredible!! I'm making it this week:) Thanks Kimba!!

Maggie Muggins said...

Looks Delicious. My family has learned the pleasure of mixing fruits for crisp. Canned Peaches and Frozen blueberries in the mix are also yummy!

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

Crisps have always been a fav of mine. I too love the topping the best and double that part of my recipe. Nothing says comfort food like a warm fruit crisp...yum!

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

Until I can just make "crisp" alone, this will be perfect! haha It sounds delish-just need to get those cans and I'm good to go!~Nancy

beachy keen girl said...

YUM and EASY...good combination in my book :) Thanks for the recipe!!

Lisa said...

I'm going to try this in the crock pot. Like right now...thanks!

Playing Sublimely said...

Okay, you have guilted me into not putting the frozen pie in the oven...looks delish, thanks for sharing :)!

Brittany @ The Rollins World said...

We have some family coming in this weekend and this dish will definitely be making an appearance! Thanks for sharing!

Sandy said...

Oh yummy, Kimba. I can smell it already! I just bought a LUG of fresh Bartlett's and those are my favorites!

I'm sure your family devoured it - quickly! Hugs!

Team Skousen said...

Looks delicious! Makes me hungry for Autumn goodness :)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

This would be so much fun to bring to my next MOPS event. Thanks for sharing, Kimba!! :) A perfect Fall treat.

Sherri said...

Perfect! I am adding this in to my menu planning for next week! I can't wait. Looks yummy, EASY and that's MY kinda recipe!

grannyann said...

If I cooked I would certainly try that (even though my doctor would have a heart attack) Gotta stay away from sweets.

Wendy said...

I think my husband would love this! I may have to make it for Thanksgiving - make everyone think I slaved over it all day!

jaquelyn {mama thoughts} said...

Hey Kimba, thanks for sharing! I actually went out tonight to get ingredients 'cause I'm dying to try it! Although I had to improvise a little...I couldn't find the apple filling ANYWHERE! So I ended up getting this canned cinnamon apple stuff, which hopefully is similar. What do you think?

{{hugs!}}
onthistimearound.blogspot.com

Natasha in Oz said...

This looks delicious. I have also just finished looking through your blog and LOVE it! So glad to have found it today...serendipity. Best wishes, NM.

Kelly @ turned UP to ELEVEN! said...

this sounds like heaven!!! Can you use just the apples or maybe sub in some cherry filling or peach for the pears? (I've never been a big fan of pears but this might change my mind).

Jennifer @ The Craft House said...

You have no idea how hungry this made me at midnight! Time to raid the cabinets for something sweet to eat!

I have had apple crisp, but never heard of an apple/pear mix, it sounds yummy!

Kara said...

This looks and sounds SCRUMPTIOUS! I'm with you on needing PLENTY of crunchy topping...that's my favorite part!

Darcy @ m3b said...

I just Tumbl'd this... and I'm kicking myself for not installing a Tumblr button on your blog.

Remind me not to forget that next time.

Jamie said...

I'm so going to make this! I love to make crisps in the fall!

Melissa said...

This looks so good! And half the reason I don't make crisps often is because it takes too long to peel and slice the fruit. :)

I'm hopping over from Lisa's Fall Fruits Festival.

Suzann said...

I love baking and new recipes!!! Thank You.

Heathahlee said...

Oh, my. That looks divine. And you are soooo right about not enough crumb topping! For my sweet potato casserole, I ALWAYS double the pecan/brown sugar/flour/butter topping. MMMMmmmmm.....

I will most definitely have to try this recipe!

Roeshel said...

How did I miss this? Thanks for sharing. I'm definitely making it this weekend. It looks delicious!

Roeshel

SnoWhite said...

that looks delicious.

Tina Leigh said...

Good grief that looks good!!!!!! Gotta have ice cream with that too!!

~LisaLou~ said...

Hi Kimba,
We tried your recipe last night and it is so good! Of course we included the ice cream. (You don't have to respond to me, just wanted to say thanks for sharing! Lisa

Anonymous said...

Our family just finished up what was left of your Apple and Pear Crisp Fake-Out last night :-( There was certainly nothing fake about how yummy it was!! Thanks for sharing this quick, wonderful tasty fall dessert!

Jen said...

Gotta love any recipe with the words 'fake out' in the name! Can't wait to try it!

Kacee said...

I couldn't resist making this yummy sounding treat! I added chopped pecans to the topping and rasins to the fruit and YUMMMMMMYYYYY! This will be my only fruit crip recipe from now on! Thanks Kimba!

Anonymous said...

love your play by play photos Kimba - my kids would love that recipe!

laurareid said...

give me the hangers! i love those. i have some small plates of my great grandmother's from the early 1900s that i would definately hang with those!

The Phillips Place said...

Just had to stop by and say THANKS for this recipe! Made it this evening for company and my oh my-- yummy! It was perfect for this cold, wet Sunday evening, and made the house smell wonderful as well!

Adding this one to the "make again soon" folder :).

Anonymous said...

Just tried it tonight and it was delicious… Love the smell too.

Debs said...

Just wanted to drop a note & let you know that I made this the other day and it was hit the spot YUM!!! Everyone enjoyed it - can't wait to make it again, thanks!!!

Allison Shops said...

OMG, my mouth is watering! Crunchy topping, always a plus. Thanks for sharing.

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Thanks for sharing this, Kimba! Looks delish!

Janelle said...

Wow, that looks wonderful. I will have to give it a try!

susan said...

This looks so good. I wish I had some for breakfast! I love pears and am always looking for a new recipe!

Norma Lee @ Norma Lee Good said...

Looks yummy. Will have to go to the store today. I am craving sweets!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Kimba, thanks for adding this! I saw it when you posted it & made a note to try it. Looks delish!!

sweetjeanette said...

Can I just say, "YUM-O" ?!?
I am drooling and so hungry right now. This sounds great! I'm putting the ingredients on my grocery list now!!!

Thanks!
sweetjeanette.blogspot.com

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Oh my....with ice cream taboot! Oh Oh Oh. My fave!

Nili said...

Thanks for posting this...I have a church dinner thing tonight and knew that this would be perfect!