22 October 2009

Make Your Home More Welcoming - Challenge #3


Turn on some music! Really. It's that simple. Just turn it on!

What does your home sound like? I'm a big believer that music soothes the savage beast. Whether that's my kids or me, I'll leave to you to decide.

I just know that when we reach the witching hour (that hour before dinner), turning on some music makes things a little better.

There are times when I'm cooking dinner and I can feel the tension rising. If I stop to listen, I'll usually realize that I have the news on the TV (loud enough to hear it in the kitchen) and the kids are ramping up their noise to compete with it. Everyone is hungry and we're ready for daddy to get home.

My irritation is rising by the minute and The Hubster usually walks in the door just as I'm about to explode.

I have found that the simple act of turning off the TV and turning on some music changes the mood. My mom bought us one of those under cabinet cd players like this onefor our kitchen a few years back. Thanks Mom! And I like to think that walking into a house with some tunes playing feels really welcoming.

I'll leave the tunes selection to you but two of our faves are:

Jack Johnson - Sing-A-Longs & Lullabies for the Film Curious George (The kids remember the music from the movie and Jack Johnson chills me right out. A total crowd-pleaser.)

and

Louis Armstrong - All-Time Greatest Hits (Fun enough for the kids. Cool enough for mom.)

Photo credit: Ian Hayhurst


~~~~~~~~~~

Are you on board with our Make Your Home More Welcoming Challenge? You can start whenever you're ready. Check out Challenge 1 and Challenge 2.

Stay tuned. Fun with pumpkins and gourds coming later today.


40 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Joyful said...

I really like your blog. The way you write your posts. It's just so relaxing to me. Gotta Love Louis Armstrong.You have so rightly named your blog `A Soft Place to Land`
Thank you,
Joyful

Unknown said...

You are so on the money with this one! We like Jason Miraz, because his beachy vibe makes for happy times. But when we're really trying to work hard and get stuff done (oh... like roof a house) we listen to "Abby music" (think NCIS). Lots of alternative and heavier rock. Really motivates you to swing that hammer a little harder :)

Lynn Kellan said...

Hi Kimba! I gotta admit that I love Yanni's piano music. Relaxing and melodic. Sure does change the mood...

Anonymous said...

Oh I so agree!! We often have music playing in the background during school. Classical, Yanni, Enya...once in a while something like Stellar Kart sneaks in there, but then we don't get as much schoolwork completed.

Still Learning said...

Yes, music is awesome for changing the atmosphere in our house. We will put on an Enya CD when we clean as a family for instance and nobody complains. That is a miracle!! Sometimes we just turn of the TV & put on music and play. Everyone always has such a positive response afterwards. Huh, I guess I never made the connection that music can make the home a better place, but you are so right! I may just turn some Enya on today...

Jenn

saraiwithani said...

I think there should be some sort of law passed about this really. My day seems to be much more hectic (and much less fun) if I don't have music playing. Sometimes I go for a random XM station on our satellite or make a Genius playlist on iTunes or let Pandora set the mood. With Christmas coming up, this challenge is a MUST!! Bring on the Christmas Music!!!

A Southern Rose said...

Hi Kimba,
I agree with you. Music is an important thing in our home. At dinner I like to have soft piano music playing in the background and we like to lower the lights. My 8 year old loves it when we eat by candlelight.

When I'm cleaning the house, I love to play Christmas music. It makes me want to clean more and it brings about happy memories.

Hugs,
Lee Laurie

Vanessa said...

We play that Jack Johnson CD all of the time at our house.

A new favorite we just picked up is Jim Brickman "Faith". It's wonderful piano versions of favorite hymns. It really does help to set the right tone at our house.

Jill said...

So true!!! music has such a delightful "magic"! We love Michael Buble'- like you said- good for the kiddos and great for mom! and Harry Connick is another we enjoy!- he's probably a little more for mom though! :)
Thanks for the reminder of such an easy way to make our homes more welcoming!
Blessings!
Jill

Melissa said...

We listen to music on our TV while we eat...Standards & Swing channel (Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, etc.) During homework and evening reading, we listen to the light classical station. It definitely makes our home more inviting.

Julie said...

I think that just the turning off the TV part is huge! I almost always have the news on in the evening and last night it was just my almost 2 year old girl and me and we simply didn't turn it off. I found we played more and she was happier. Next time I'll try adding the music. (We LOVE Jack Johnson!)

Taylor said...

Yes to the music!!! We don't even have a TV downstairs (much to my husbands disgust) but as long as we have Kenny Chesney or George in the background he is OK.

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

You are so right!! I just love this series because my whole blog is about building my home! I turn on music to help create an atmosphere or worship in my home. It really helps create a mood of calm and happiness.

girl meets carpenter said...

I love to have music playing in the house. It really puts our family in a better mood! I love your two recommendations!

Andréann said...

Again, you are so right on this one, Kimba!
And yes, I did turn on my music player when you asked!

Dena Pickle said...

I'm following you! I love the Challenge series you're doing. I listen to music at work too, it makes the day so much more pleasant! Check out my blog - maybe you'll be a follower of mine?!
Dena

Jen said...

We often play music during the witching hour...and I love me some Jack Johnson!!!
Also really enjoying your blog!

The Lunch Lady said...

Absolutely! I love to put on light jazz not too loudly, or Nora Jones type of stuff and another big tip is light some candles!! It gives the house a "restaurant" mood, and makes it smell better if it has a nice fragrance. My husband has commented many times on how much nicer things are, my boys notice too.

Wendy said...

Love that Jack Johnson CD. Unfortunately, my kids loved it so much it is now a bunch of scratches. I'm going to have to invest in a new one!

Lora Lynn @ Vitafamiliae said...

I've got five kids ages five and under, so I found that any music with WORDS was just too much noise. There were already too many words floating around my house. So I pulled up Pandora and created a station of classical music that sounds similar to Mozart. Mozart is peppy and mostly major keys, so it's happy music, but it doesn't have words. Most classical radio stations have a mix of slit-your-wrists depressing music. But this way, we have light, airy WORD-LESS music all the time.

Danielle said...

I'm with you on playing music around the house. I have an iHome that I drag from the kitchen while I cook to the bathroom while I get ready and everywhere in between. My house sounds like...positive, calm, happy. Jason Mraz, Jack Johnson, Colbie Caillat.

Stephanie @ A Fine House said...

Challenge 3 is a no-brainer around my house. We love music. It's always on!

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Kimba,
Great idea!! I used to play contemporary christian music in my
home all the time when my kids were still at home. It was gratifying to hear them sometimes singing along with the music, and it sets a very nice envirionment that is unlifting and encouraging rather than negative and draining from all the bad news out there.
Definitely helps my mood and keep my focus where it needs to be.
We love Louis Armstrong too, great music!~ Also classical music is soothing as well.
You are sharing some very good ideas hon, Bless you and your heart to create such a warm and
wonderful and cozy envirionment for you family. That seems to be
a lost art and desire today.
Good to see ladies that are highly promoting the home, I just love it, cause I feel the same way. I believe the
Home should be the most important influence on the character of Mankind!!
Have a great day hon,
Blessings, Nellie

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you about the music. It can really set a tone in our house. I just have to make sure it is a good one! ;)

Annie @ astonesthrowfrominsanity said...

I agree about the tunes. I am factoring in a CD player and speaker into the kitchen remodel for that reason.

BTW- I nominated you and your blog for an award for your daily inspiration. Thanks!

grannyann said...

Great ideas, thanks

Untypically Jia said...

I completely agree! Normally he comes home and I'm watching tv because by that point in my day I'm just exhausted and on edge. But yesterday I had my music player on and I was still doing laundry, shampooing carpets and singing and dancing all over the house. I was in a great mood!

Shannon said...

Right there with you on Jack Johnson. I would put his CD in when my daughter was a baby and she would just stop crying. His music is just happy and fun, and definitely raises spirits.

Holly said...

Oh boy, can my husband relate to walking in the door right when everything's (me) about to explode! I love music, I used to play it all the time, but I haven't in a long time because the cd player isn't convenient. I guess I need to fix that.
Good ideas, Kimba!

Heidi of Operation Organization said...

So true! I just discovered 'Pandora' internet radio (I know, where have I been?) and love it for having instant tunes for a certain vibe that I'm looking for. All that for FREE! That's what I'm talk'n about!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I like to play classical music sometimes. During the Christmas season (Nov. 27 to December 26, ha) I play Christmas music obsessively. It helps me get into the spirit of things and find some fun and motivation. :)

Skyes Scribbles said...

You never let me down! Now i have 3challenges to complete in 1 night because i am so behind!

i love Jask johnson! End of report!

Thanks! :oD

Natasha in Oz said...

Putting on some music at about 4:30 is my daily ritual. If I don't do it on time my 9 year old son asks if he can choose the tunes. Curious George is also on our playlist but we are a bit loopy here and have already started playing the occasional Christmas carol!
Best wishes, NM.

Lindsay @ Makely said...

That Jack Johnson CD makes me cry. I bought it when Zack was like 6 months old, and I was really weepy at that point in time. LOL I still cry when I listen to it, because I'm strange. :)

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

I think this is a great idea! I think we too often have the TV blaring and we don't ever get a chance to really unwind.

Abbie said...

Ok, I turned the music on yesterday - Pandora - Chris Rice Radio - and even though I'm not sure if my kids settled down, I was sure more relaxed and positive listening to some of my favorite songs! Thanks! I'm enjoying (in a get-my-self-in-gear-and-do-it-kind-of-way) this series! I really do want to work on this.

Suzann said...

I do music every day!!! I have been really thinking about NO television ever and only music. Calms me down all the time.

Shannon said...

That Jack Johnson CD has played in our twins' bedroom ever since they were brought home from the NICU. Something like 1, 275 nights. We love it.
-Shannon in Austin

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

A day without music...is a day without music, I guess! :-) I can't go without it and I find it actually makes cleaning or working at home enjoyable. For real! And when I am expecting guests, there's always, always music in the background.

Designs 4 Divas said...

Hi Kimba,
Just wanted to drop you a line to say that I love your blog. Great postings, and articles. Very inspiring.

Best Wishes, Lori