19 October 2009

Make Your Home More Welcoming - Challenge #1


The topic of having a more welcoming home has been on my mind lately. When I think about having a warm and welcoming home, I usually think about how guests feel when they enter my home.

But lately, I've been wondering how my own family feels when they get home. There's nothing wrong with wanting guests to feel welcome and at home. In fact, I love doing that! But sometimes I wonder what would happen if I consciously spent that same time and energy making my own family feel at home.

For the next couple of weeks, I'm going to be issuing you some challenges. Simple things that you can do to make your home more welcoming to your own family. Don't worry. You won't be alone because I'll be doing these things in my home too.

This means I'll probably be posting multiple times a day on some days. I hope you can stand it.

So let's get to it!

Make Your Home More Welcoming - Challenge #1

What if we greeted our own family with the same attitude and and enthusiasm as we greet our guests? With a big smile, a welcoming hug and a warm "Welcome Home"!

I'll admit I'm often busy or preoccupied when The Hubster gets home from work. On a good day, he may get a quick "Hi Hon" and not much more. What's worse is on a bad day, he might get that "Hi" accompanied by snarling or sighing and a barked order to take care of this kid or pick up that mess. I'm a real charmer on those days.

So today, I'm going to make a purposeful effort to greet my own family with the same love and enthusiasm as I would greet a guest. For me, that will probably mean a big smile, a hug and an undistracted conversation. And this doesn't just apply to The Hubster. I'm going to give the kids this same treatment.

And if you're the one arriving home to your family, what if you made a purposeful effort to come home with a loving attitude, a cheerful smile and a warm greeting?

Let's get to it. Go hug somebody.

63 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Nancy said...

You are right. Taking a moment to show whoever walks through the door is so inviting. I want my hubby to feel appreciated after working all day and I want to show my kids that I missed them too. Great reminder!

Cheryl said...

Great post. I was thinking the same thing the other day. Started thinking about making guests feel welcome and then thought to myself...hmmm, I need to make my own family feel welcome. So then, I started to tidy things up in the foyer.This is the drop zone. I dusted and vaccumed and it looked great for about, oh, 2 hours and now it's a mess again.
As for the attitude thing, you are so right. As the homemakers of our own, if we have a good attitude..a loving attitude then our family will feel that. Monica over at thehomespunheart touched on this a couple of months ago. It's always great to be reminded though. Thanks Kimba! Have a blessed day.

Keelie said...

Yep--we need to! Thanks for the reminder.

Melissa Miller said...

~Ah! How sweet and a great idea.

Many Blessings, ~Melissa :)

Stephanie said...

I am soooo guilty of the quick "hi hon" greetings when my husband gets home from work. Thanks for the reminder that he deserves so much more!

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

I'm in! I'm going to give my hubby a big "Hi Honey How was work?" and a hug as I run out the door to Hobby Lobby!

Andrea said...

Great post! I'll be joining you...looking forward to the rest of the "series"

Kim said...

What a wonderful idea! Thanks for the challenge - I'm up to it!
Kim

Angie said...

You are SOOO right!! What a great post, I can't wait to read this series. I agree I am so friendly when others come over and I need to be that way with my own family!

Heidi of Operation Organization said...

Looking forward to following along with you on this!

Love your first thoughts. I've been slacking on this showing of intentional positive attitudes for a variety of reasons...thanks for the gentle encouragement and indirect inspiration. You're the bomb.com, girl-friend!

Sonya said...

Awww... i loooove this!! Thanks so much and I will definitely be joining you!!!

The Nester said...

This is a great idea. You could do a little dance too--you know to welcome him home. Start that and he'll expect it every time.

I love how you always take the idea of home making to an even deeper, personal level!

Anonymous said...

Great reminder! I try to do this, but who can be this sweet every day? :-) Like everything else, I guess it's a "day at a time" commitment. Good post, Kimba.
PK @ Room Remix

Grami's girls said...

My mother in law always greeted us at the door with a big hug. If we were over there more than once a day we still got a hug. She would throw those arms up waiting for that big hug, it wasn't just a pat on the shoulder. She passed away 3 yrs. ago and I miss those hugs. My husband and my 2 grown sons miss that also. I'm always ready for a hug when those precious little grandaughters come to the door, I need to spread it around to everyone.

Kathy C. said...

I like this post Kimba...how my Hubby is greeted at the end of the day is very important to him. He's a cop, and it helps me to remember each day how very thankful I am that he has come home! :)
Have a beautiful day!

Beth @ UnskinnyBoppy said...

This is a feel-good post. I love it! Great idea.

Andréann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andréann said...

This won't be a challenge for me!
I always great my lover with a hug, a kiss, a huge smille and most of the time a good smell from the kitchen!
He actually thanked me for that...
And with our daugther running to him- She now gives real hugs with her arm- He definitly feels welcomed!

(Then I can bark orders! ahah)

Sheila said...

Very good thing to work on .. I practice this most of the time anyway, but i am eager to see other comments to see where i can improve on what i already do. Thanks this will be great..

Lynda @ SportsMadGirl said...

What a great challenge! I will accept this challenge and look forward to future challenges.

I think I may have to go buy a WELCOME mat for the door coming in from the garage. Isn't it funny how we have a WELCOME mat at the door our guests use but not one at the door we actually use. I think it would be so nice to welcome ourselves home everyday!

Audra Lynn said...

ah! i need to be more welcoming to my family, too. i play the ignore-him-and-see-if-he-comes-to-greet-me game. and i get all huffy if he goes straight upstairs to change clothes. it's ridiculous.

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Kimba,
That is a great challenge because sometimes we can treat other people better than our own families! Definitely, not good!
I think you are so right we need to drop what we are doing and give them our undivided attention. I think we do that with our children more easily for some reason, and our poor hubbies can get the leftovers. I think that is why people like dogs so much, who greets you better than a dog, even if you have been gone for 5 mins.! lol
Good post, Good challenge!!
Blessings, Nellie

Rochelle said...

excellent points! i need to work on that, for sure.

Julianna Farmer said...

I needed a post just like this on just this day. thanks!

Moore Minutes said...

I love this theme you're going to do and so look forward to more! This is an excellent post with wise advice. Thank you for the challenge. I'm going to work on that today. :)

Jill said...

My husband and I have had this talk before. I asked him what I could do to help him when he gets home from work and the one and only thing he said was, "greet me at the door and give me a hug, that would make my day." Something so simple - yet it means so much to him.

Nepperess said...

Wow, I like it! I'll try it today.

Bonnie said...

It makes an incredible difference in your evening when you do that. My husband and I have a very firm & fast "rule" - I am the first one out the door in the morning so my husband is always the last person I say good-bye to. "I love you" from my husband is the last thing I hear when I leave my family every day. My husband is the last one home at night so when he gets home, he greets me first, then our son THEN the dog (and that can be a challenge) but it's funny how big a difference in makes to follow that order every. single. day. What an awesome journey you're embarking on with this move!! I think you'll be awed by the changes. :) Blessings!

{northern cottage} said...

what a wonderful reminder!! Why do we do all this stuff - it's for our little families!!

Lynn Kellan said...

So true. Gotta peel myself away from the stove for a welcome home hug for my peeps!

Unknown said...

Ohhh... a new series? Love this idea! I try my best to make an effort with my hubby and kiddos. Just letting them know you are glad to see them might make their day, or yours!

Love the Decor! said...

Very true, we often greet our guests far more warmly than our family. Thanks for the reminder. I also posted about how mom sets the tone for the whole house
here recently http://lovethedecor.blogspot.com/2009/09/if-momma-aint-happy.html

Marci @OvercomingBusy said...

Great reminder! Our homes should be a safe haven from the world. Husbands need that. I get so caught up in my stuff that I forget that is my job to create that place. I like Linda's comment above about putting a welcome mat or door decoration on the door coming in from the garage is a great idea. Why reserve all the good stuff for the guests?!

Unknown said...

Great Post! I try to do this regularly, but a reminder is always a good thing.

Liz Harrell said...

Kimba, I've been helping my little sister re-do a vintage lamp for her new place... and I had a spray paint catastrophe yesterday. Mid-way through spraying a glass base yellow, I sprayed too closely and the paint began to run in streaks down the glass. I had a total panic moment, and thought, "Aghghg...what would Kimba do!?" Sigh. Wish you had been there.
Liz

Pam said...

What a great idea for a series, Kimba! I can't wait to read more!

sarah may said...

What a great idea! Looking forward to the challenges to come!

Bill and Christina said...

Awesome! I am going to do this challenge with you! I don't greet my family that way. Well, maybe my husband when he comes in.

Abbie said...

Ooh, convicting! I've been trying to do this, but not doing too hot today! Thanks for the reminder of how worth it it is to make our families feel loved.

Elizabeth said...

I'm excited to get started. I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Making just as much of an effort to have a welcoming home for me and my husband ALL the time, not just when we have visitors. I accept challenge #1!

Sara said...

Great Challenge #1. I'm so bad at this, especially being pregnant, I'm so tired by the time my husband gets home!

But someone I admire once said that if we stay at home during the day, we should be there at the crossroads of our family's life and make the home a haven by letting them (children, spouse, etc) know that when they come home or leave the house, someone who is there caring about the daily issues they are faced with.

I also remember reading someone mention that a husband who works outside the home (this could apply to a wife who works outside the home) should take a few minutes in the car before they come in, to gather their thoughts, put work behind them, and put a smile on their face....ready to face their loving but also tired/hungry family.

M.J. said...

perhaps the person coming through the door will then begin to come through it with the same enthusiasm as well! So hard some days, but so true! Thanks for the reminder

Farmgirl Paints said...

Great reminder Kimba!!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I am going to love this series. :)

Jenny said...

I can't afford to make my home more welcome. Otherwise, I totally would.

Amanda said...

Good idea, something I will try to implement myself. Someone told me when I got married (13 yrs ago) that if you don't have anything else sorted for dinner (supper) you should at least put onions on to cook because it will smell great when everyone gets home!

Jamie said...

I'm up for the challenge! I too need to be more purposeful in this area.

Maureen said...

Isn't this the truth? I think it makes the world of difference too in the atmosphere for the rest of the night.

Gina said...

I love this idea and so often neglect a warm welcome-thanks for be an encouragement in this area!

Kristi @ Addicted 2 Decorating said...

Wonderful idea! It's sometimes so easy to treat those we love the most with the least repect and care, simply because we're so comfortable with them and used to being around them.

What a wonderful encouragement to step it up with the kindness and care to those with whom we are the closest!

Unknown said...

Such a great idea for a series, and full of your wisdom and advice, too. I'm sure that the "climates" of our homes would change drastically if we treated our own families as well as our guests. Thanks Kimba!

Connie said...

I know your hubby and your kids will want to come home tonight and every night.

Sandra said...

Hello! What a great idea! We should all greet our kiddos and hubby with all the love in the world when they get home. I know I get so busy at times that I forget to be a little bit more affectionate. *blush*
I Love your blog! I just found it today and instantly became a follower. I hope you don't mind.
I hope you visit my blog some time. :)
Have a great day!
Sandra

Team Skousen said...

At first I thought we were going to be making welcome mats! But I like this much better :) It is all about the attitude in the casa!

Sarah said...

Just love this challenge and can't wait for more! (I'm the worst greeter...usually too many things going on at once at that time and hardly even look up!)

Unknown said...

Since I homeschool my children don't "come home" to me too much, but I have made it a point to greet them warmly with a big hug every morning. This is saying a lot cause I'm not a real morning person.

I do love to "bless" the house and try to pick up before hubby gets home, doesn't always happen though. Thanks for the reminder!!!

Gretchen said...

Hey bloggy friend!
I was in your neck of the woods last week and the whole time we were driving thru your {beautiful} state, I kept imagining me stopping by for a cup of java. ;) My hubby thought I was crazy. I knew you would have rolled out the welcome mat.

Thanks for the great reminder today! I'm looking forward to more of these.

Anonymous said...

What a great reminder to treat our family as nicely as we do guests! I needed that!

blessings
mary

Marie said...

Oh Kimba, this post has convicted my heart (in a good way). I went outside and looked at my front porch. Ew. Cobwebs in the corners by the door. Chipped stucco around the door frame. Leaves and dirt that the lawn guy blew by the door. No welcome sign or cute wreath. Just a naked door.

Hmm. Must do a make-over. The front door area is the first thing our guests see and I need to give it some TLC! Thank you for the inspiration.

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com

Monique said...

Love your blog. Following the challenge. I have decided to be for welcoming so I though the first thing was to tacle the 5 sences ( sight, smell, hearing, touch, tast). Some are still a work in progress.

Skyes Scribbles said...

i LOVE this Blog! GREAT IDEA! i am going to do this today when i get home, My boyfriend will already be at home, he gets off at 2 or 3 every day, i get home at 5 or 6 but i will greet him with a nice big hello!! how has your day been? and a big hug and kiss!

If we could all be greeted how our pets greet us when we get home. I beleive the world would be a better place!

i accept your challenge! Sometimes we take for granted the little things! i guess we forget how easily they could be taken away!

Suzann said...

This is the best! My husband always complains that I don't ever seem happy to see him when he gets home from work. My kids get better attention and love when they get home, but I'm really going to work on this. Thanks!!!

Heather McLean said...

I love this!
It's so true too. When guests come over, I clean the house like mad, new towels, mop floors, vacuum. And it usually doens't happen until another guest comes over! (Don't tell anyone)

My husband works so hard all day (I do too, but I'm home most of the time) so I think this challenge is great. And will definitely pay off for everyone involved. :)