21 October 2009

Fall Planting

Did you know that fall is a great time to plant new trees and shrubs? Yep! The air may be cooler, but the ground is still nice and warm and that lets all those little roots take hold before it freezes. Then, come spring, your new tree already has a jump start.

The best part is that now is the time when most nurseries and garden centers (like Lowes and Home Depot) put their trees and shrubs on deep discount. The leaves on this tree may be a little crispy, but they'll be fine come spring.

We snapped up some new trees and bushes for 1/2 off over the weekend.

The downside is that you have to buy 'em when you see 'em even if you don't have the right vehicle. Otherwise someone else may snap up that Japanese Maple Tree that will be perfect for your front yard.

I wish I could say that this was the first time we risked life and limb (hardy har) and drove home with our heads stuck in a tree. My poor boys.

Don't believe me? Here's a article on fall planting from HGTV.

And here's a great how-to on tree planting from DoItYourself.com.


~~~~~~~~~~

You can still enter your project for DIY Day! If you have a few minutes, go browse through some of the projects. Amazing!

The winners of our giveaway from DiscHangers.com are:
Christi @ Life is Dancing in the Rain
Connie @ Shady Creek Lane
Ellen @ Handmade Recess

Congratulations! Shoot me an email with your address and I'll get you hooked up with your DiscHangers. And if you didn't win, remember that you can get free shipping at DiscHangers.com by using code FREESHIP09!

13 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Poppy Cottage said...

Oh my girls could tell you some crazy stories of how we brought tress home (lol)

Bunny Jean said...

Doesn't everyone do this?!

Been rainy here in Northern Texas and I will be out in the yard getting those trees, perennials, and BULBS in the ground.

Drop by and visit...I have a giveaway happening!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I had to laugh at the picture of your son and the tree in the car. I can't tell you how many times I put my kids through that when they were younger. You're right though ~ you gotta grab while you see it.

Shelley said...

Poor babies. It's a sickness really. I just imagine when they get older and have kids of their own, their prodigies heads will be stuck in trees too. LOL.

Kim @ Forever Wherever said...

Oh, I love the Japanese Maple. I don't think it'll grow here, and my yard is tiny. I'll just have to drool over your photos of it next year.

Kim

jules said...

I have totally done that before, and I drive a VW beetle!!

Sharon@Sharon at Home said...

I love to plant in the fall. You know where all the holes are in the garden that need something added. You can never tell in the summer because everything is small and you think you have the space ... but then it is too crowded.

Melissa Stover said...

oh hilarious. we have driven like that before!

alissa said...

i had to laugh at the photo of your son...and the tree! just cute. we planted apple trees a month ago...can't wait until spring to see the blossoms, and fall for the fruit.

Lindsay @ Makely said...

Just today I saw a sign at one of our nurseries that said that now is the perfect time to plant a tree! We want to put two more in our backyard, but I think we're going to do put in an arbor and some beds in while it's cool, so I don't want to put in more trees just yet before we have a "plan."

Skyes Scribbles said...

Another Great Idea! i love the picture of your little boy! haha! You have given me the gretest idea's I could just hug you for that! Thanks again!

Tina Leigh said...

We always plant our trees from January thru March while the tree is dormant to prevent less stress on the root system. We buy trees in bulk, keeping the roots in our pond until planted.

Suzann said...

I so hope that next year will be my turn to plant anything!