14 September 2009

The Paint is Barely Dry

And there's nothing hung on the walls, but I can't wait one more minute to show you the board and batten treatment that we finally finished in our family room this weekend! If you would like a tutorial on how we did this project, click here. For a breakdown of the cost and time involved, click here.

I love it so much that I'm giddy every time I walk into the room.

We had an ocean of drywall that just couldn't hold it's own against the stone fireplace.

Now we have a room full of charm and character.

The board and batten was a stroke of genius. It has completely transformed the feeling of this room.

I especially love where it wraps around the windows.

We went with a simple rustic design that goes all the way to the ceiling and it works perfectly in this room. The paint color we used is Fence Post by Behr because I had a bunch of it left over from painting my kitchen stools.

Tune in tomorrow and I'll give you more details about how we actually did this project.

67 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT, Kimba! Good job.
pk @ room remix

Chris said...

I think I am inches away from convincing my husband to do this in our dining room, so please do give details about how you did it! It looks fantastic, Kimba!

Cheryl said...

Kimba, that wall looks absolutley striking. I have never seen the board and batten all the way up the wall like that. It really brings some height to room and it looks like it can hold it's own now against your fireplace.
You and the hubs did a great job with it.

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

Kimba, This looks AMAZING! I have a room that is long and lean with a fireplace that dominates. I might have to do this! Thanks so much -- and I love Layla, too ... I'm a big fan of both of you.

Gussy Sews said...

oh gosh, i LOVE your new room! Some times white walls are just sooooo gorgeous! :)

GUSSY

The Brown family said...

Love it! Great Job!!!! It's always so exciting to see a project come to life. I love working on my house and learning new things along the way. Great way to spend a weekend if you ask me :)

Miss Mustard Seed said...

I love it! I can't wait to have the time and money to implement some of the ideas I am gathering from blogs in my own home. I love the architectural interest this brings to the room. I'd be giddy as well!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

YIPEEE!!!! I just want to come and cozy up in that room with you. So welcoming, and isn't that our desire. LOVE IT!!

Unknown said...

What a great job! I'm thinking we may do this in our bathroom rather than beadboard. It would give it a little something different, but still speak to that cottage charm I love so much.

Great inspiration, as always!

Kimberly said...

Kimba, you all did such a great job! It is delicious!

Heidi of Operation Organization said...

Woo hoo!! I've also been keeping this idea in my 'back pocket' for sometime down the road when we own our own walls!

Yay, looks FAB!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm lovin it!

Sunny said...

Looks beautiful!

Michelle said...

AMAZING! I love the detail of the walls, and I love the colors in the room now.

Moore Minutes said...

I am actually RIGHT in the middle of a wall project inspired by Layla! :) How beautiful this is!! Isn't it amazing what a difference it makes? Well done. I would be excited (and giddy) too.

Decor To Adore said...

Wow! What a transformation! Well done.

Unknown said...

Beautiful! Love the color and the design. You did an excellent job!

Erin said...

wow! it looks amazing. so put together.

Shannan Martin said...

We are doing a board and batten wainscoting in our little guy's room and now I'm more excited than ever. This looks AMAZING!!

Pam @ bibbidi-bobbidi-beautiful said...

Oh, Kimba- that looks stunning! I'd love to incorporate some of this effect in my fireplace makeover, hmmm...
Can't wait for the details!!

Aura said...

That looks amazing, I can't wait to see the rest of the room! I think she is inspiring the internet, one room at a time.

Southern Fried Gal said...

Wow! What a transformation! I'm so glad you were able to complete your project! Looks great! (I used 4 !)

Brittany said...

I've been wanting to redo my living room walls since I bought my house, but every idea I've had, I never loved. THIS IS IT! I really want this!
Thank you soooo much!

Anonymous said...

LOVESSS IT!

Britt said...

It looks so great! I love the board and batten and how light and airy your room is now. Those black lamps are gorgeous, too!

randee said...

it looks amazing. what a transformation from terrific to fabulous. just beachy did some on her blog, too: chriskauffman.blogspot.com/

i'm thinkin' this is what i need for my keeping room (tv room). the loud laughter you'll hear will be my husband when i suggest it.

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

Kimba, I love it! So charming. So much character! Can't wait to see it all!
Traci

Jennifer said...

Do you have a link for where we can purchase the board? Love it. HUGE difference indeed!

Tiffany said...

Beautiful! I can't wait to see the rest of the room. :)

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Oh my... I've been wondering how your project was coming along! So pretty! Have fun decorating your 'new' room!

And thanks for the link up! I'm loving the backsplash and may have to do my fireplace wall... it's such a cool treatment if you wish to brighten and add detail at the same time without going over the top.

For those debating on trying it, chose something small to start with (even the inside of an armoire) and go for it! You'll be hooked.

Donna

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

Love love love!!! I've been wanting to do this treatment to our hallways - but when you mentioned about your fireplace, that got me thinking. We have a floor to ceiling brick fireplace suorround and hearth. This would look amazing in that room...hhhhmmmm. I'm definatly tuning in tomorrow. Your room looks AMAZING!!

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

You have every reason to be giddy! It turned out beautiful. If our financial situation ever changes, I would love to do this in our master bedroom. Love it!

Unknown said...

Looks fabulous Kimba! I was also inspired by Layla and Donna/Funky Junk Interiors to try my own. We plan to trim up (board and batten/ beadboard/ceiling planks) our backsplash, a fireplace wall, basement stairs and a cathedral ceiling in the family room. I really admired the suggestions Layla made for your family room, and it is so much fun to see as you implement them. I've been working on accepting changes as we can get them done and not being impatient to do it all at once. Thanks once again for your inspirational posts.

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

Kimba, I really like the wall. People think that rustic isn't necessarily beautiful, but it really is. Just like a nice breeze while you are outside looking at tall pine trees...it is rustic...but extremely calming and beautiful. That is how this room feels to me already. Great start. Looking forward to seeing more!
Blessings,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Wowser, that is just stunning!!

Amber said...

Kimba, it looks so wonderful! It adds so much character to your room and I love how fresh & crisp it is. It really brightens up your space. I can't wait to see the room with all of your accessories added in!

Heathahlee said...

Love it, girlie! We're planning on doing our living room in bead board, and I hope it turns out as good as your board and batten did!

Kathryn said...

Love THAT!

Jennifer Richins said...

Love the feeling of the room now. It looks fabulous.

And thanks SO much for your giveaway. I'm quite excited to see my new personalized jewelry that SoSoBella designs. I will post a picture of it on my blog when I receive it.

Liz said...

That looks great! I love a room with architectural details, it makes it so much more interesting than plain drywall!

Anna K said...

It turned out fabulously. I love that it runs all the way up to the ceiling. Thank you for always being a great source for inspiring projects.

Also thanks for listing my board & batten dining room in your post. I didn't even realize it was mine until I clicked on the link (ya, I'm a little slow).

Somewhere In The Sun said...

Wow, it's beautiful!

Sarah Bradford-Burton said...

I'm moving house in a few months and will have miles of paneling to redo. I'm definitely going to do the board and batten effect as much as possible. It looks so great, I can see why you are so happy when you walk into the room. It's gorgeous!
Found you from Just Beachy!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

It's LOVELY, Kimba! :) You must be so proud. I wouldn't want to leave that room.... "Sorry, kids, give yourself a bath tonight. Mommy's admiring her new walls." ;)

Gina A Touch of Whimsy Designs said...

I think my husband is cursing you as he now has another weekend project yay!! :) Looks beautiful!

Robin Johnson said...

Oh how I love this look. I have been wanting to do this in my bedroom for ages. Hubby not so much. I can't wait for him to get home so I can show him your pictures.

Your room is truly beautiful. Great job.

Amber@alittlemorecrazythancool said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE L.O.V.E it!!!!!!! What a change it made to the feel of the room! I'm going to hold on to this idea for the future!! :)

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

I love it!!!! What a fabulous transformation!!!!!!

J.Covington said...

Very nice...love the vertical pull of the boards and visual element it adds. Cools balck lamps too!

Gina said...

Beautiful! I love it! It adds so much charm and character!

Richella Parham said...

Kimba! How wonderful! Can't wait to see how you actually brought this about. It looks won.der.ful!

bj said...

I just love this look.
We did one wall of my dining room and i love it to pieces. I haven't blogged about it but will, now that you reminded me!
Beautiful job and don't you love the extra personality it adds to your room.

Chellie said...

We'll all be anxiously awaiting the details on how to achieve such a beautiful look, I'm sure! Good job!

The Nester said...

I am absolutely GREEN with envy.

Your walls speak.

Do you think the owners of this home will notice if I do that in every room of the house?!

Laryssa Herbert said...

It looks so pretty Kimba! Great job.

bj said...

Kimba, dear...is it ok with you if I use some of your great photos on my blog about board and batten? If so, my post will be on the 21st, linking to you and to Susan for Met Monday. (just let me know if you'd rather I not use your photos)
I, too, did one wall of our dining room using these boards and just love it! Now, I am going to do our long,narrow entry way....Love the look!!
xo bj

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a difference. It looks gorgeous. Hugs, Marty

WhisperWood Cottage said...

Gorgeous, Kimba!!

Amy

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Totally & completely AWESOME! I want the nitty gritty details...like how far apart did you space the boards? How did you deal with the boards meeting up with the baseboard? I've been anxious to do something like this in my living room.

Unknown said...

Kimba, it's gorgeous! I hope you're resting now. ;)

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Looks great! Adds so much diminsion to the room!! It is really popular now too!

Katy said...

It is taking shape so nicely, love it much!
I really like the white wall with the light tan on other walls. GREAT!

Unknown said...

Oh Kimba.... how pretty. I can see why you are excited. It is gorgeous.

Sandy said...

Oh, so lovely, Kimba! Good job, girl!

Anonymous said...

LOVE THE LOOK!!!!!!

Suzann said...

I love this! I'm really trying to figure out where to incorporate this idea into my house too.

Gratitude is the fairest blossom which springs from the soul.

Mike and Linda said...

Fantastic, that makes all the difference in the world. Nice job..