16 September 2009

This One's For The Fellas

About 3,574 of you commented or emailed that you were showing my board and batten posts to your men to convince them it was time to give this glorious wall treatment a shot. And all of you asked the same questions...

"How long?" and "How much?"

Perfectly reasonable questions, especially when the fellas get involved. I need to make a t-shirt for The Hubster with those words on it. Those are his first questions whenever I reveal a new hair(hare?)-brained scheme. Not that I think board and batten was hayre-brained.


So in the interest of making a short story as long as possible, I'm turning my board and batten story into a trilogy. If you missed the first two installments, you can see all the glory shots from Monday and the nitty-gritty details on Tuesday.

Let's start with "How long?".

I would say that this was a weekend project, but let me put that in perspective for you. We did 2 fairly large walls. One was 19 feet long and the other was 17 feet long. Obviously, it would take way less time if you're covering less wall space.

If I had to guess at an actual number, I would say less 20 man (or woman!) hours for our whole project. If you're working together, you could easily do this over a weekend.

Here's a breakdown of the time that we spent
  • 3 hours painting the walls (I did 3, yes 3, coats of paint trying to get an even finish)
  • 2 hours cutting the wood strips for the crown and battens
  • 4 hours priming and painting the crown and battens
  • 2 hours hanging the crown
  • 5 hours hanging the battens
  • 1 hour filling in nail holes
  • 2 hours painting the finished walls
Total estimate: 20 hours

Now let's get to the even more important question...How much cold, hard cash did we outlay for this project? Here's the approximate breakdown:

  • 2 sheets of 3/4" MDF @ $20 each = $40
  • 1 gallon of primer @ $22
  • 2 gallons for white paint @ $26 each = $52
  • 2" finishing nails for nailgun @ $15
  • Caulk @ $5
  • Wood filler $3

Total estimate: $136

In our case, we had less than $100 out of pocket because we already had the primer, 1 gallon of the paint and the caulk.

And that's my story. The end.

~~~~~~~~~~

DIY Day will begin at 10pm tonight! Do you have a post ready?

Speaking of DIY Day, I realized that I never announced the winner of last week's prize from the fabulous gals at The Hip Hostess! The winner of the Black a la Mode sheath apron is Cheri from It's So Very Cheri. Congratulations! Shoot me an email and we'll get you set up.

If you're ready to make a purchase from The Hip Hostess, you can use the code "SOFT" to get 15% off your order!

23 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Anonymous said...

it is beautiful and what a deal!

Kelleigh Ratzlaff Designs said...

You're awesome, Kimba! Thanks!

Nori said...

Thanks for the breakdown! I LOVE how it looks.

The Weathered Cottage said...

OK so we just bought everything for this at Home Depot yesterday. For our total it was $104. We bought Behr's paint and primer in one (which I HAVE used and it DOES work well). So it may be a way to save money!

Michelle said...

Make that 3,575. I just showed it to my husband this morning! I'm a huge fan of this look and think it could make a dramatic difference in our family room. I sure hope these answers will sway him. THANKS!

Anonymous said...

i did a makeover for a chair and i posted on my blog last week :D finishing up on another project today when i get off of work ;) great job on the walls!

duchess said...

Thanks for the details - they will help greatly when I do my presentation to the hubster.
It's not as costly as I imagined - that's a always a good thing.

Ashley Schott said...

Hello:) I'm new to the blog world and I just love your blog! This is such a cool post. It seems relatively easy and so affordable! Most importantly, it looks AMAZING!

Kristy said...

Thanks! This looks amazing. It would make such a dramatic difference to any room that needed a little character to spice it up.

Kristy @ Isn't It Just Darling? said...

Thanks! This looks amazing. It would make such a dramatic difference to any room that needed a little character to spice it up.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Looks WAY more expensive than $136...it helps so much when you have a handy husband. I wouldn't have a deck otherwise. :)

Its So Very Cheri said...

Thank you so much--My e-mail is Cheri.Peoples@live.com

Cheri

Mama Elle said...

Genius! Great job!

Amanda said...

Oh my goodness!! What a difference it makes in this room. It looks great.

Matthew-AmandaWatson.blogspot.com

Melissa said...

I love all the details and the breakdown of the cost~thank you!

Melissa said...

Oh, and P.S! I never said how fabulous it turned out~such a difference! Adding it to my inspiration file~

erin@my little creative outlet said...

I love your blog! love the batten board! i am having a giveaway over at my new blog. www.mylittlecreativeoutlet.blogspot.com
i would love to see you over there!

emily freeman said...

I can't even tell you in English or any other language how much I love these walls. AND your blog just keeps getting better. Love it.

{oc cottage} said...

That look is worth 1000 times that much $$...it's just awesome!

m ^..^

Pat said...

Oh my gosh, I love this! I think even I could do it. How beautiful.

Melissa Stover said...

i could sure use a few of those cookies right now!

Unknown said...

It looks so nice. I love it to bits! : ) You are talented and clever and a brilliant designer!

manila property said...

The wall looked really nice. Thanks for showing us how to do it together with the time needed to do it and the cost.