30 April 2009

Spring Wreath: Forsythia

I'm not a huge fan of fake flowers because most of them look so, well, fake. I do like the color and they're more palatable if I mix them heavily with nice fake and dried foliage.

I had this rather wimpy forsythia wreath that didn't do it for me. Pretty color but I like it much better now.


I added LOTS of good looking fake statice and some other fake foliage and dried kitty willows. (I know what they're called, but those are google hits that I can do without. Let's not go there m'kay?)


So full, fluffy and fabulous! She looks so real; I could sneeze.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have to give a little shout-out to the girls who made my ping-pong ball lemonhead wreath. Some of you told me about it. Some of you didn't and I found you anyway. I found Laurie from Gillmore West, Cassie from Ames Castle, Lindsay from Passenger Seat Kind of Gal, and Lemon Annie wrote about it. Anyone else? I'd love to see it!

My favorite, though, is the heartbreaking lemonhead wreath story from Jennifer at The Magic Brush. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. So I did both. I adore you, Jennifer, for posting about this!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did you know that Melissa from The Inspired Room is giving all of us procrastinators a deadline with her Procrastinator Party? This is just the nudge I need to get moving on a project that I've had planned for months.

I have big plans for this $15 Goodwill headboard. Now I'm committed. I have two weeks to get it done or Melissa will fly to Pennsylvania and kick my tail.

49 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Anonymous said...

Kimba,

I LOVE the wreath!!! I have been looking for a forsythia wreath myself, but yours is perfect! Can I buy it from you? :-) just teasing. I also love "kitty willows" and I know what you mean. ;-) Great job!!!

Allidink said...

Lovely wreath! I used the real kitty willow word on my blog just the other day...I didn't even think about it! Oh dear LOL I think everything will be OK though. LOL

All the best,
Allison

Joanna said...

What a beautiful wreath! I have naked doors...I should get busy making something! Your so inspiring.

Emily@remodelingthislife said...

You are the wreath queen. I have never in my life had a wreath on my door but each time you post one of yours, I want to go to my mother and ask her why I wasn't born crafty.

Funky Junk Interiors said...

I need that wreath on my fireplace! Exquisite!

Thanks for the reminder that I must find the elements I love to make my own. I just keep wishing I'd find one ready made. NOT.

Can't wait to see the headboard project come to life!

Donna

Unknown said...

I want to see what you do with the headboard!
Nancy

Jill GG said...

Gorgeous! I love your black front door... I have been wanting to do that and my husband said "black"? Now I can show him the pics and maybe he will agree... classic and classy!

Unknown said...

What a great job!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Your wreath is very pretty! My door is naked. Oh, now you have THAT word on your blog. Oops.

Ok, I'm expecting big things out of that headboard or you are so right, I'm booking my flight and you are in big trouble. I might even ask you to make me a wreath.

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Your spring wreath turned out SO pretty! I think that you are the Queen Of Wreaths! Fancy title, no?!!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I love the wreath. Living in the desert there aren't many things that we can use from the yard in the way of flowers, especially in the summer, so I have had to learn to love faux flowers. Some of them now aren't too bad and from a distance I just pretend and dream of the real things. Hugs, Marty

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Looks so pretty against your black front door!!

Michelle said...

Can't wait to see the finished project!

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

The wreath looks great. And yeah, don't blame you on not wanting those google searches. I didn't realize you were in PA too. I'm on the eastern side of our state.
~Michelle

Janis @ An Inspired Life said...

It must be kizmit that I found your blog........as I've just arrived home with my own consignment store headboard. It'll go into the garage for now till I figure out what to do with it. Good Luck with your project.

Maureen said...

That wreath is gorgeous. Now, I need to stop procrastinating and get a decent wreath on my door this weekend.

Sarah said...

You've definitely inspired me to put out my spring wreath! Beautiful job!

Gena said...

My faux "kitty" willow wreath was one of my favorites for years. When it finally faded into ugliness, I threw it away. But it gave me about 5 good years. I never thought about adding pretty stuff to it, though. Yours is absolutely beautiful. If I ever find another one ON CLEARANCE (which is how I got my first one!) I will steal your idea in a heartbeat.

the pleasures of homemaking said...

Kitty willows made me laugh! Try having the word Pleasures in your blog name (somehow I never thought about it).

The wreath looks great and I can't wait to see what you have planned for it!

Manuela

Kim said...

Can't wait to see what you do with the headboard. Today, I blogged about needing some inspiration for my bedroom, maybe I'll get some when you finishe the headboard!

Unknown said...

Love the wreath. I wish I could make stuff like that. TFS -- I grabbed your button.

desiree said...

You did a great job on your wreath! Love the colors and textures.

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

The wreath is beautiful, but I'm cracking up about the creative googling.... :)

Jill -Forever and Ever House said...

Oh my goodNESS! I am gushing. You are the queen of wreaths!

Unknown said...

Love the wreaths.
I've been guilty of purchasing the fake wreaths.
My husband is actually thrilled that I no longer have the urge to buy them. lol
We don't have a front door to put them on. (I so miss that!)

Rachael Havens said...

LOVE IT!!! So much better and it really does look more realistic.

Unknown said...

And from what I hear, you don't want your tail kicked by Melissa! ;)
Love the yellow flowered wreath ( I can say or spell that f-word--talk about google hits!)

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

LOVE the wreath! Very similar to what I had in mind for my "summer" front door wreath that I have been "planning to make" for a month. Hahaha.

Decor To Adore said...

Ha hee! Love your kitty willows. :)

Can't wait to see the headboard.

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Can't wait to see the headboard transformation. And the wreath looks better.

Aura said...

Okay I am hands down obsessed with this wreath. I have a forsythia bush in my yard and have always LOVED the flowers but I'm so sad that it only blooms and goes in one month. This is a good way to keep the spirit going!

Lindsay @ Makely said...

That wreath looks fab, girl! I still have my egg wreath on my door! GASP! I need to take it down and make something new.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

It look amazing...do you have an overhang to protect it? I 've been having issues with anything on my door since the rain demolishes it.
And yes, your blond naive friend had to think about your funny...kitty willow. I just knew it didn't sound right but couldn't figure out why you'd get google hits...HA!! Yes, after five kids you'd think I'd have it all figured out. :)

Magic Brush said...

Kimba I laughed and cried too.

I still think you are a creative genius and will be making another one next spring. Just gotta figure out a better glue for my neck of the woods. I think you should come over and help me! Then you could also see first hand the love/hate relationship I have with hot glue guns. I don't curse. But God made hot glue guns to test me in that area (I always get it on a finger!!!!)!

Amber said...

Your wreath went from wimpy to wonderful! Your additions added so much! It looks lovely popping out against your black door.

Niki Jolene said...

I adore forsythia!

:)

Paula@SweetPea said...

I really like how you jazzed up your Forsythia wreath with the additional foliage.

I've been wanting to make your ping-pong wreath for a while now and still haven't ordered the ping-pongs. That idea was one of the most unique ones I've seen!

Mom in High Heels said...

Very nice! I love the poofed up wreath.
I'd join the procrastinators party, but....maybe another time. :)

Mom in High Heels said...

I just went and read Jennifer's story and I have to say I laughed. A lot. Poor, poor faux lemonhead wreath. So sad. Funny though.

Kim @ Everything Etsy said...

Very pretty Kimba! I have a wreath around here that can use a little sprucing up. Thanks for the little push.

~Kim

Unknown said...

I love the wreath, it's beautiful!
I'm having a chalkboard paint party next week on my blog-you should definitely play!:)

Anonymous said...

I love the forsythia wreath. That gives me a great idea. :)

Wendy said...

"kitty willows" is my favorite. I certainly don't blame you for changing the name. ;-)

Ashley said...

I would have never thought to "fluff" it up like you did....fabulous!!! I am off to Micheal's LOL

Southern Fried Gal said...

So cracking up at the kitty willow. I bought some at Sam's a few weeks back and every time I say it DH cringes. So I find ways to work it into the conversation when possible - evil, I know, but so much fun! Nice wreath as usual. I need to get my door updated. Thanks for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

That wreath turned out beautiful!! Looking forward to seeing what you do with the headboard (we still have daaaayyys to start though - hee,hee)!

Jessica said...

Your after wreath looks so good. I agree, the forsythia before were wimpy. Can't wait to see what you do with the headboard.

Paula@SweetPea said...

Ping-Pongs have been ordered and other supplies have been purchased. I'm making your wreath!

Melissa said...

Kimba, I copied your wreath! Yours is still prettier because I couldn't find the greenery I wanted, but I am still grateful for the inspiration and happy with how it turned out!

http://riggs.me/blogs/lissa/wreath_rip-

Thanks!
:-)
Melissa