09 March 2009

Spring Wreath: Lemonhead Edition


I was inspired by a wreath in Country Home magazine this month. It's made by hot gluing lemonball candy onto a wreath form. As much as I love it, it's a little small for a front door...not to mention that lemonhead candy isn't exactly weatherproof. That baby would get sticky on my front door.


So I thinked...and I thunked...and I thinked some more. What could I use to get that look on a larger scale that wouldn't get all sticky? Then it hit me...

PING PONG BALLS!


Do you want to make one like mine? Here's what you need...

1. A 12 inch styrofoam wreath form

2. A gross (that's 144) ping pong balls - You can find these on ebay pretty inexpensively. Get the cheap ones because we're going to paint them.

3. Glossy yellow spray paint - I used Krylon Sun Yellow

4. Clear glitter - for the sugar coating

5. Hot glue

6. Spray adhesive


First you want to spray your wreath form with the yellow paint on both sides. Make sure you cover it well since the balls don't cover every inch of it and you want any parts that show through to be pretty and yellow.


Once your form is dry, start hot gluing your ping pong balls in place. There's no right or wrong way to do this. Just make concentric circles around your wreath. I started with the largest circle and worked my way in to the middle. But you could do it the other way if you'd rather.


My only tip would be to start each row of balls in about the same place at the top center of the wreath. That way if you end up with any gaps, they'll be covered by the ribbon you use to hang the wreath? Does that make sense? Look at the picture above. It makes more sense than I do.


Once you get all the ping pong balls glued into place, you want to spray the whole shebang with several coats of your yellow spray paint. You're going to need to turn the wreath around and over to get it coated really well so do a couple of coats. On my wreath, you can see the seams of the balls in a couple of places. If I had been paying closer attention, I would have turned each ball so that the seams were hidden.

Another hint: Don't try to paint the balls before you glue them to your form. You'll end up chasing the balls around your dropcloth with a can of paint until you realize that you're a total knucklehead. Not that I did that or anything. I'm just saying.



Next you want to work in sections to give it a crunchy sugar coating. Spritz a small section of the wreath with your spray adhesive (you could probably use modge podge instead) and then sprinkle it with the glitter.

Now, I know the question is coming..."Is the glitter going to come off if it's outside?" The answer: I don't know. I'll let you know if my stoop is awash in glitter after we get a rain.


And that's it! A lemonhead wreath for spring! I hung mine with some pretty green ribbon and added some flowers to the top. You can do that too...or not...whatever works for you.



Looking for more spring ideas? Visit Rhoda at Southern Hospitality for her Spring Fluffing Party.

Decorating Spring Fling


Swing by The Decorating Voice where you can enter your spring decorating idea using what you already have. You just might win an Ipod!


143 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Anonymous said...

That is too pretty! Wow, what a great idea to use pingpong balls.

momof3girls said...

This is the cutest wreath!! You are so creative (ping pong balls!!) Girl I love this wreath!!!
I am going to have to try to make this!! I am doing my front porch in yellow, black, & white how cute would that be on my porch!!! Thanks for the great pictures & directions!!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

What a great idea. I think I have come up with a plan to do the egg wreath that you showed. Can't wait to try it. Jackie

Ruthanne said...

That is SO adorable!

Lisa said...

Love the wreath! Whoever would imagine ping-pong balls?

Lisa said...

THIS IS SOOOOOO AWESOME!!! I'M MAKING ONE TODAY!!!

THANK YOU. IT'S JUST WHAT I NEEDED TODAY.

HUGS FROM MAINE

http://sophie4me.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I love that 'POP' of yellow on your dark door! It looks perfectly at home there. I never would have thought of ping-pong balls. I would have tried small styrofoam. Yours are more durable. I love it! I am now inspired to make another wreath. :-)

Chris said...

It's better than I could have possibly imagined! A gorgeous wreath out of ping pong balls! Who'd a thunk it?! Brilliant and beautiful, Kimba!

southerninspiration said...

Your creativity and your wit are both so entertaining! The wreath is adorable and clever, and your wit is so amusing.......I laughed at the mental image of you chasing ping pong balls with a can of spray paint.

Suzanne

Unknown said...

FABULOUS!!!
I love how your mind works.
Enjoy your wreath.

Deidra said...

It's beautiful! What a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Kimba, I love your version of the wreath. You are one creative gal. It looks fabulous on your door and so springy!
Did you know they make modge podge with glitter in it already?

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

It looks beautiful against your door - just like super duper lemonheads! Such a great idea and great instructions.

My First Kitchen said...

Girl, I have to admit I'm a little sickened by this. You are a whiz at spraypainting the most random things on the planet... and making them look great! I'm usually not that into wreaths, but this is adorable. So springy. It makes me want the ice cream truck to come by. Yes, it's 9am. Yes, I'd eat ice cream right now.

Christi said...

How ABSOLUTELY adorable! I will definitely have to make this!

Mrs. Gray's Class said...

So fun and quite yummy, too!

Mom in High Heels said...

That is adorable and now I soooooo want some lemonheads.

Anonymous said...

Kimba, I always enjoy your posts. The decorating tips you share are great, but I always look forward to your witty and laugh-out-loud way of saying things. Thanks for brightening up my morning!

Lindsay @ Makely said...

That is gorgeous, Kimba! I love it!

Magic Brush said...

I am giddy and looking for ping pong balls today! Bless you for sharing the instructions! I will be making one this week! Thank you! Thank you!

Blessings,
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is awesome. The first thing I thought when I saw your title was "oh no, what a sticky mess that would be!" I am glad you are practical :) Yours came out even prettier.

Wendy said...

Very creative! I love the pop of yellow against the black door!

Georgia Girl said...

Simply Amazing!

Unknown said...

genius!!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Love it! Love it! Love it! I love that yellow POP on your door. Very cheerful...I could use something like that today (very gray and foggy out).

Kristin said...

love it! it's beautiful!

Kim said...

Okay that is just too cute! Thanks for sharing your wonderful imagination with all of us. If you come up with any other uses for ping pong balls let us know! I've got tons of them lying around with dings in them, so they can't be used for ping pong anymore :(

The Bramble Patch said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

Ruby Red Slippers said...

What a great idea! My neighbor and I are gearing up to do some projects-this could go on the list!

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

Awesome! Thanks for the tutorial with pictures! Some of us are craft-challenged and need good instructions!

Southern Charm said...

Your wreath looks beautiful! I love it. Very creative. Don't you just love finding something you love and then re creating it for yourself? There used to be a show on HGTV that did that with designer rooms and I loved to watch it. I never would have thought of ping pong balls. Great thinking.

V and Co. said...

oh you are soooo smart! i'm so going to try this!

Melissa Stover said...

how clever! you should really work for that magazine.so much better than lemonhead candy.

Amanda said...

OH MY GOSH!!! that is the cutest thing ev-ah!!! My mouth was actually watering when I look at it. Your are too clever girl!! I bet Oprah will steal that idea too!

Frantic Home Cook said...

Love this. One question...how are you hanging this with the ribbon? On the top of the door?

Tiffany said...

What a brilliant idea! Unfortunately, this makes me want to get a bag of lemon drops. :)

queenbee said...

Bee-utiful!!! I am working on a spring wreath myself. I'll let you know when I am finished.

Junk Mammas said...

Too cute. I love it. What a clever girl you are.

Kendra said...

Thant is the cutest most Pier One looking thing I have seen. I so need to make one!

Anonymous said...

I am a lemonhead kind of person! It looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing your neat wreath idea. It would look nice on my front door!
~Kim

GRAMS said...

Okay, I definitely have to make one of these. Thanks for sharing. You are great. Janis

Martha said...

that looks beautiful! you are so creative! :)
Martha

Sara said...

LOVE IT!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

You are too funny. Love this idea!!

Pretty Organizer said...

How much chocolate do I have to go without to afford 144 ping pong balls? Are there any left in blogland after this project? What a hoot. Fun idea. I'd like to duplicate this at Christmas with red (for berries). A bow at your feet Your Royal Craftness!

Love ya,
Pretty Organizer

Joanna said...

Your wreath is a lot more practical for living then the one from the magazine! What a terrific idea, ping pong balls!!

Caroline said...

YOU ARE BRILLIANT!!! that is so cute!

Sadie said...

I love it!

It seems like it would be a good idea to spray it with a coat of clear sealant when it is done, to help keep the glitter in place?

I hit the Dollar Tree and thrift store yesterday and scooped up a cute fat little birdie and a bunny and gave them new "coats" - fabulous!

LindaSonia said...

Love your wreath idea!!. The comment about not painting the ping pong balls first and chasing after them, etc. etc. actually made me laugh out loud. Toooo funny. LindaSonia

SarahJarnagin said...

I love this wreath!!! You did a great tutorial.

Shea said...

Ping pong balls, what a great idea! Love the wreath!

Susan of Pink Portuguese Roses said...

Ok...I totally wanted to make this wreath too. But I could figure out how to do it...

And then...I read your blog. LOL!

Do we have the same brain? I know we don't. Amazing that we were thinking the same thing.

Great post!

Talk to you soon,
Susan

Sallie said...

Very neat. I am going to plan on doing that one. Did you actually do both? Love it. Very fresh!

Amber Filkins said...

L-O-V-E it! I mean really, get outta town, it's beautiful! Think it would look great on my RED door?? I'm thinking spring on a door.

I have to admit though, I got a pretty good laugh at the idea of you running around chasing ping pong balls with a spray paint can. Matter of fact, I'm chuckling right now, lol. :)

Jackie ♥ said...

Hi Kimba! What another fun wreath idea! I am loving all your great wreath ideas!! I am going to see how many ping pong balls I can find at our local store..and try it! Thanks for sharing.

Have a great day!

Jackie

Anonymous said...

Love it Kimba! But then again...A lemon wreath? A wreath after my own heart (I own Purple Lemon Designs). Might have to try this one out!

Tara said...

STUNNING!!! I LOVE it!

Cindi said...

Very Cool! I love the brightness of the color yellow...especially on your door.

We made and Easter Egg Wreath for our Mom's Craft Night Out a couple of weeks ago. You'll have to check it out on my blog.

Unknown said...

Oh My Gosh!!! I LOVE it! Thanks for sharing this, I can't wait to make one!!!

Dana Barbieri said...

That came out great!!

Jill GG said...

Love this! So cool - thanks for sharing!

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

Kimba, you are too good!!!

Willo said...

Genius and gorgeous!

punkinmama said...

Love it! You are so creative!

Valarie Lea said...

Oh my gosh that is so cute!

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

This is too cute! Thanks for the play-by-play!
~Misti

Amanda said...

That's fantastic! Watch it show up in the next "O" magazine!

Anonymous said...

That is fabulous! I'm going to make my own!

jenn said...

that is absolutely amazing!! i am not a crafty person but i can't wait to give this a try! it would be such a lovely thing to have

Kristi~The Slipcover Girl said...

whoa! that is fabu! Makes me want to eat it! i could possibly do this wreathe. i am no good at arranging flowers or making wreathes look all pretty, but i think i can handle this. Great idea!

CurlyQuinn said...

Just wanted to let you know that I read this post this morning and I can NOT get this wreath out of my head! I'm heading to the store to pick up some supplies! I hope it turns out as pretty as yours! =)

In This Wonderful Life said...

SUPER CUTE!!! Love it, you did a great job!

Traci said...

I LOVE it! And I honestly was wondering how you painted each one of those little balls before you glued them on.. I guess it's a "seeing the forest through the trees" type thing because I would have never thought of gluing them first.

It looks awesome against your door too!

Erin said...

I absolutely love it!!!

Tootsie said...

this is fantastic!!!! I would need something other than hot glue if I wanted to put it outside as when hot glue gets cold...it doesn't hold anything....and it is COLD here...BUT...it would be great inside too!
thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Oh Kimba! How lovely is this! You're the smartest one! I love it! Thanks for being so kind and sharing how you did it! The yellow looks so good on your beautiful door! Now, how about an easter egg wreath!!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

THE BROWN BOYS said...

love it! and thanks for your honest tips (learned through trial and error!)

Carrie said...

That is beautiful!!!! Ping~pong balls??? You are a genious! Why can't I be smart like you?

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Wow! That is gorgeous and SO creative!!! I'll be linking.

Lana said...

Too cute! Love it!

Gena said...

So adorable. You are amazing to have come up with that idea. I saw the wreath in CL, too, and wondered how long that would last in the heat of my front door. You go girl!

Amy said...

What is it like to be so darn brilliant all of the time? I mean, SERIOUSLY! That is just beautiful, Kimba! I am bookmarking this for next week's notebook :)

Anonymous said...

LOVE!!!!!!!!!!

Enough said.

~Amanda

Emily said...

That is just georgeous!!!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Kimba, another adorable project by you! I love this one & will add it to my Tumblr files. You are the clever one & pretty darn funny too. :)

Matthew said...

Kimba,

I love what you did with the original idea we showed in CH. I think that way you weatherized the concept is ingenious. You impress and inspire me. I am so excited that all of your followers are going to make one, too. Thank you for featuring such a great idea. Mattthew Mead, former style editor, COUNTRY HOME MAGAZINE

Kelli said...

Can't wait to try it!!

Jill -Forever and Ever House said...

You have outdone yourself on this one.

Jennifer said...

I absolutely LOVE it...and it looks so nice on your black door! My door is blue - what do you think? Would you use a different color?? I'm not exactly creative...

dmvoccola said...

I haven't gotten over the felt pin yet and here I am, impressed again! Quite clever, you are! :)

Valerie said...

Kimba I love that! Hey if you haven't already come enter my giveaway. It'll be open until 2:00 p.m. (CST) tomorrow.

Our Complete Family said...

The best way for me to convey what I'm thinking right now hun? WOWZERS! Love it! Can you send springtime here to my house?!?
Hugs, Les

Amber said...

It is very springy and bright and cheery! You're such a crafty thinker to think of the ping pong balls! I don't think that would have occurred to me. Way to take your inspiration to the next practical level!

Natalie Meester said...

You are so creative and clever! Thanks for such a inspiring or should I say "souring" post!?

Kristen said...

I love it! It's so fun and cheery!! Perfect for spring. I;m thinking of making one of these for summer (less rain then=less glitter on the porch!) Too cute!

Mimi Sue said...

I saw that in Country Living too. Loved it but love yours more. Mimi

Southern Fried Gal said...

Aren't you clever! Love everything - especially the sugar!

jessiev said...

So very clever! That's creativity +! Not to mention that it is soooo sweet! All of these spring wreath ideas I've been lusting after have me yearning for the spring weather to go with them. Hurry up and get here Spring!!

SoBella Creations said...

Super cute! Thanks for the tutorial.

Painter's Place said...

OMG...that's adorable!! You're very inventive!

Debra from Bungalow said...

How creative, but I will admit to getting a laugh out of this post. It looks great and very Spring like.
Great job! DebraK

Melissa said...

I love the sparkly yellow~they do look just like lemonheads~I want to lick them! Great job~

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations said...

That is really pretty!! Great idea on the ping pong balls!!

Unknown said...

This is adorbably adorable! Did you mention how much a bazillion ping-pong balls cost?

Runner Mom said...

Too, too, cute!!! Love it!!

Hugs,
Susan

Audra Lynn said...

Love it. I'm so doing that.

Alexis said...

I know you've had 106 comments, but this was too pretty to not comment! I will so be copying you and giving you all the credit. I think I might do it with some girl friends and have a morning of it. Thanks for the genius-ness of it!

BlueCastle said...

Awesome! It looks wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Love this, saw your name over at Rhoda's.

I am definitely going to give this a go !!!

Kathy :)
jokaj@comcast.net

Blogger said...

lol, chasing ping pong balls, eh? ;)

What a pretty wreath, Kimba!!!

Raise Them Up said...

That's really clever!

Scooper said...

Girl, you are pure genius! This is the most fun wreath I've ever seen. I'm just worried that guests may lose all self-control and lick it.

patty said...

i lOve it!
it's gOrgeOus!!!

theluckiestmrs said...

I love this!!! I've been trying to think of a cute new spring wreath idea, and this is perfect!

jennykate77 said...

OhMyGosh! That is the CUTEST spring wreath I've seen in a long time! Love it!

Lorie said...

That looks gorgeous on your front door!!

My Trendy Tykes said...

LOVE the wreath, I am going to feature it on my craft roundup this weekend.

Linda

theUngourmet said...

What a great idea! It's so pretty!

Amy said...

You are just too clever!!! Love lemons, love yellow, love spring!

Thanks!
Amy

rachel blazer said...

genius- i loved that wreath in the magazine, but i, too, had decided not to do it. who wants ants & raccoons attacking their front door? ping pong balls- perfect! i think you're a genius! : )

Anita said...

Adorable and more practical than candy!

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

This is just plum cute! Thanks for all the detailed instructions...love it! Susan

janet said...

well this is too brilliant, thanks for the great inspiration
hugs
janet

Deb said...

what a great idea, you could do one for christmas also with christmas colors

debi said...

That is SOOOO clever!!! I LOVE, LOVE it!!! Beautiful!

Kathi said...

Better than Martha! What a terrific idea! Thanks for showing us the "how to!" I love this!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea and I am going to do it for Mother's day gifts. One question though, Did you use all of the 144 balls on one wreath or did you have some left over. I am going to make 3 wreaths and I don't want to have a bunch of leftover ping pong balls.

Thanks
Becky

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Brilliant! I never would've thought to glue a bunch of ping-pong balls into a wreath. Love it. :-)

Kimba said...

Hi Becky,

I used about 120 ping pong balls on that one wreath so only a few left over.

Kimba

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hello Kimba...

Happy Spring Fluffing! I love this pretty lemonhead wreath that you made...what a fabulous idea!!! And thank you for the step-by-step instructions!!! That yellow looks so pretty against your black door...it just sings of Spring!!!

Have a wonderful Wednesday, my friend!
Warmest wishes,
Chari

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I can't wait to make this wreath

Becky

Sue said...

Boy I really had to scroll down to get to the place where I could comment. I can see why, your lemon wreath is precious.
It is so nice to meet you.
Hugs,
Sue

Lylah Ledner said...

oohhh...it's lovely and cleaver. like it.

Tami (Pixeltrash) said...

Love it!!!

Donna Lynn said...

I saw that wreath too, and my thoughts were the same, what happens when it melts down the door? It would be like a giant fly and bug trap! I love your amazing idea, it turned out so great, thanks for the project!
I think your porch will look great with all the glitter dandruff!
Blessings,
Donna Lynn

Jenny said...

That is gorgeous!

KarenB said...

Okay, it took an eternity to get through all of the comments. Your wreath is a hit. What a great idea to substitute ping pong balls. It is adorable.

Carrie said...

Love love love this! Too clever.

sweetfunkyvintage said...

I love, love, love this wreath!

Anonymous said...

Looks Great! How did you hang it on your door? From the inside?

designer, April Force Pardoe, said...

It's fresh, simple and adds a great pop of color to your lovely black door. Beautiful!

♥Mimi♥ said...

I hope you don't mind but I mentioned your wreath in my blog and linked back to you. I'm in love with the color and will be making one within a day or so. Also a great project for me and the grandkids to make for friends and family at Easter but I think we'll use candy...it will be easier for me to keep the kids interested. I certainly hope that you don't mind if I used your photo but I certainly did give you credit.

Janet and Maya said...

Love, love, love this! you are brilliant!