02 March 2009

I Want to Live in a Treehouse


photo: BlueForest



Ever since I was a kid, I've been fascinated by playhouses, clubhouses and treehouses of all sorts. Maybe it was the Swiss Family Robinson that piqued my interest. I was reminded of this fascination recently when I read the childhood classic to one of my sons.


photo: Tree House Workshop



Did you know that there are real grown-up people that live in treehouses? I think I would like those people.


photo: Wild Wood



Did you know that there are treehouse resorts where you can stay in a treehouse? Oh my gosh! The Hubster is reading this at work going, "Oh no! We are NOT vacationing in a treehouse!" I'm expecting the phone to ring shortly.


photo: Out 'n About



This last picture may not be a treehouse but it's possibly the most adorable playhouse I've ever seen. Do you think that Linda from Restyled Home will let me come and play in her daughter's playhouse?



So who wants to come help me build a treehouse? Maybe I can convince Remodeling Guy to take a roadtrip and build it for me.

post signature

66 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

It all looks great! I was thinking...are there fancy bathrooms in treehouses?!

Mom in High Heels said...

That is awesome. But what happens when the tree grows? That's what I want to know.
I'd like to live in The Magic Treehouse so I could travel through time and books. How awesome would that be? Man, I'm such a mom.

Lindsay @ Makely said...

Those are adorable! I'll admit that I'm scared of tree houses, though. What if the tree fell over or the house came crashing down??

Willo said...

Ok, I am officially lobbying the husband for a tree house vacation.

duchess said...

The Swiss Family Robinson did it for me too. They had the coolest one.
I saw a series on HGTV once about tree houses & they were fabulous. Bringing groceries in might get a little tricky, though.

southerninspiration said...

um, if you build it, we will come!!! :)

Suzanne

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

No way - what fun. We'll head on over to Linda's, and plan a girls getaway. She won't mind. :)

Angie said...

How sweet! I love them all especially the inside of the last one!
Have a great Monday!

Joanna said...

I saw treehouses that people live in on HGTV one time. I thought how cool! I would love to vacation in one as well!!

Wendy said...

I love treehouses..and I loved that playhouse when I saw it on Restyled home. So pretty!

Sarah said...

We have some plans to build one this summer...I doubt it will be as fancy as those above, but a treehouse is a treehouse, right?

M.J. said...

I've been wanting a tree house for years! We have the perfect backyard and the perfect trees for it...I WANT ONE even more now!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I love the treehouse at the top of the post. I'm with Mom in High Heels--we read the Magic Treehouse books in our house a lot, and I think it would be fun to take a whirl in one. :-)

Linda's playhouse really is to die for. I want to live in it!

Katie Lane said...

I think that's a fabulous idea!

Decor To Adore said...

Oh I love the first one!

I did a post on Thatched Roof Cottages today and would love to live in one of those storybook lovelies as well. :)

Tiffany said...

There was an episode of International House Hunters where a family bought a tree house in a forest (It may have been a rainforest?). I'm beyond envious of them.

Anonymous said...

I think its the fantasy of it. I too always wanted a playhouse and still do,hehe. Madison has one and I think I enjoy it more than she does. Its a work in progress though and she will be an adult before we ever get it finished but thats ok. Love this post... it brings out the kid in all of us!

Sarah Mae said...

Oooh, me me me! I'll help you build one!

Anonymous said...

I am curious...did the Hubster call and Veto the idea of a treehouse vacation yet??

I LOVE IT!! I would live in a tree in a minute!!

momof3girls said...

I would come & visit you! In the movie "Kit Kitteredge, an american girl" She has a tree house - it reminds you how we all like a place to go kick our feet up, dream and sip sweet tea or lemonade.

RootsAndWingsCo said...

I am so with you on this one! I think part of the draw is also that there are no responsibilities once you enter these kinds of dwellings! So there's plenty of time for a tea party or to let your imagination go wild with a game of invaders in your treehouse! These are gorgeous treehouses!
Rebecca
RootsAndWingsCo.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

We stayed in a treehouse for part of our honeymoon. You took a little path a short distance. There was a bridge to cross and goldfish and ferns. I was perfect.

Brenda said...

I'm so sorry Kimba, I will have to pass on this adventure. I am deathly afraid of heights. And tornado's. LOL

Windy said...

I have always wanted a playhouse! When I was little, my Dad would say I could have one when my sister got a little older. Well....by the time she got older, I was too old! I am trying to get hubby to build the kids a tree house in the woods for this summer:)

suzeeez said...

I wouldn't mindescaping to a treehouse myself sometimes. Thay are all so cute I'm not sure which ones I would pick to be mine.
Sue

{darlene} said...

Is that last one for real? you mean there are real people that live like magazines, whose children's houses are cuter than mine???? oh blast it.
Yes. I love a treehouse! I can't wait for the day when daddy and the boys get their's going!

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

The tree houses are really charming. At one time, I lived the upper level of a garden apartment. I have a balcony which was right against the tree branches. Whenever I went out on my balcony, I felt like I was in a tree house. I hung bird feeders on the branches.

My sons in laws are deer hunters and they would use the tree house as a deer stand if it was in the woods.

Raise Them Up said...

We love staying in unique places! You'll have to check out this campground that has a number of unique rentals, including a Treehouse, a Train Caboose (really cool!), a Shipwreck, a Tipi, a Yurt (??), a Covered Wagon, and even an English Double Decker Bus! It's a really cool fun place to go!! It has become a yearly adventure for us. :)

http://www.lakeinwoodcampground.com/rentals.html

Raise Them Up said...

Oh, yes. If you go to the link I posted above, look on the right and under the heading "Unique Rentals" click "Rentals" and a slide show will pop up. Or slowly appear if you have a dial up. LOL!

Remodeling Guy said...

Kimba - I lOVE THIS POST! I'm a major treehouse fanatic and if you ever get ready to build one of these crazy ones, call me and I'm there ready to help!

Awesome pictures! You hit one of my hot buttons here! I'm ready when you are!

Heathahlee said...

I remember when I was 7 my Dad took my sister and me to Disney World where the Swiss Family Robinson's tree house was there for all the world to traipse through. I LOVED it. I wanted to live in one, too. I'm not sure I still do, but a vacation in one sounds really nice!

Sandy said...

We used to have the perfect tree for a cool treehouse - let us know what Remodeling Guy says LOL!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Those treehouses look so fun! I also love those Tiny Houses - have you ever seen those? It makes me want to simplify my life!

Thanks Kimba!

Jen

Draffin Bears said...

I have just come across your blog and it is really lovely.

A tree house would be fun ~ up in the sky and clouds and a place to dream!
Isn't the little pink and white house so cute.

Hugs
Carolyn

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

I've tried to hire a contractor to build me a tree house for my kids in the past and they've all been too busy. I'm thinking with the economy... I might actually find one to do it now! Thanks for reminding me with these awesome houses. My dad built me one when I was a kid, it had 2 stories and a fireman's pole to slide down. It was so awesome!

Valarie Lea said...

I think this is now on the to-do list for the hubster! :)

Chris said...

It is now confirmed that we are destined to be friends. I, too, share a lofe for treehouses! When my family and I went to Disney last year, we visited the Swiss Family Robinson "house". It was my favorite part of the day! I made my husband take pictures of me by all the rooms, and my husband kept telling the kids, "We're not just running through here. Your mom's been waiting for this moment all day!" It made me feel like such a dork! Long live the treehouse!!

abbysae said...

I saw that several people mentioned Disney World in their posts but no one has mentioned that Disney's Saratoga Springs resort has Treehouse Villas that you can stay in. They used to be part of the Disney Institute but then they closed them down. Now they are rebuilding them and, according to allears.net, they are set to open for Disney guests on June 1st.

Unknown said...

Those are so neat! We want to build my son a basic treehouse - if it actually gets done, I'll take some pics!

SoBella Creations said...

My daughter wants me to build her a treehouse.

Elle Jay Bee said...

What a fun post! I love your treehouse passion, and would have loved to build one for my youngest son to go with Sophie's playhouse. Alas, we have no trees big enough. I remember when he first set foot in the playhouse, he sat on her little daybed, looked around shaking his head, and uttered: "there must be $100 worth of wood in this place!"

If only he knew...

I still want to make him a hide-out of his own but our yard is tiny and he turns 13 on Sunday. So maybe not?

Thanks for including our playhouse in this wonderful post! I am honoured...

Tara said...

woULDN'T THAT BE DIVINE?? And of course it would hold tons of books and a great view!

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

I want to go live in a treehouse, too! LOL Except that trip to the bathroom in the middle of the night, might not be a lot of fun!
:-)
Susan

Gretchen said...

Hey Kimba!
Love these ... makes me want to be Peter Pan and never grow up!

I'm having a linky party on Friday to wrap up my series on paint. I'd love to feature one of your posts on painting furniture. With your permission, I'd like to post a picture and a link to your site.

www.neweveryam.blogspot.com

dixymiss said...

The piXies and I just love the treehouse designs you featured today ~ such fun!

Ruby Red Slippers said...

This was always my dream as well-I grew up on five acres, and climbed the trees all the time, and wanted to live in a tree house. Seeing the pictures made me want to do it again! This must be the reason God gave me three boys....

Lauren said...

I would totally live in a tree house if it looked like that! But I think I would like it to be a second home...not a primary residence! Like I could ever afford to have 2 but anyhoo...
I grew up LOVING swiss family robinson as well. It was like all I watched! ♥ Anyways I really liked this post!

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

My boys have asked for a tree house more than once! My husband is deathly afraid of heights so we might get a tree house about 5 feet off the ground. Does that still count? LOL!
~Misti

Esther said...

I too love the book of Swiss Family Robinson and have read it about 5 times. And I love tree houses, have always wanted one.

Miss Laura Lu/RMS4291960 said...

Hello! I came over to visit from Gollum's. I saw the title and just had to visit! Swiss Family Robinson did it for me too! You think it has something to do with being all safe and snuggly, high above all the chaos down below...sort of like heaven?! There's a freedom in the treetops!
So count me in your builder's group! God Bless! Lauralu :)

Anonymous said...

There's also "the mysterious treehouse..." My cousins and I "discovered" a dilapitated one in woods adjacent to a local playground when we were kids. It looked really old. Who put it up? When?

Big find!

Jenny said...

I have to say I've always been scared of tree houses. Imagine the amount of bugs and spiders that live in there!

Even covered playground equipment freaks me out, because of the possibility of a wasps nest!

So, if I didn't have a crazy amount of anxiety, I could see how a tree house would be fun :)

The Texas Woman said...

I love tree houses too. If they would just make them on the ground....!

The Texas Woman

Runner Mom said...

Precious! Kimba, we have friends who got married in Afica and stayed in a treehouse for part of their honeymoon!! I guess that they were safer from some of the wild animals!!!!

Hugs,
Susan

Megan/Brassy Apple said...

LOL!!! I'm so right there with ya and the Swiss Family Robinson thing.

I would LOVE to "vacation" to a treehouse too. Something about the simplicity of it and back to nature - plus completely different - is just so fun!

Mimi Sue said...

The Swiss Family Robinson is one of my all time favorite movies. That playhouse is adorable. Mimi

Unknown said...

TREEHOUSE! i wished to have one too...

Unknown said...

really good! and looks great
but i have fear for STORM!!!!!
;)
but the idea is very fantastic.. but in the fantastic world, now not exist..
greetings from Romania
Marius

Amber said...

I loved treehouses when I was younger...also because of Swiss Family Robinson! The Swiss Family Robinson treehouse at Disney World is one of my favorite Magic Kingdom attractions. It's so fun to "escape" in the treehouse! Some friends of ours stayed in a treehouse on their honeymoon on the California coast. It looked really unique and fun!

Chicky said...

I want a daughter JUST so I can have a playhouse like Linda's...cause one for me would just be silly, right??

Right?

Anonymous said...

There was a shabby chic treehouse featured several years ago- maybe in Romantic Homes but not sure- if i remember right she auctioned a night spent in the treehouse for charity- It was so wonderfully sweet! I can still picture it in my mind- which is something because I usually forget what I saw 10 minutes ago!

love your blog

mary

Rachel Lundy said...

Such cool treehouses!!! I don't know anyone who lives in a treehouse, but I do know someone who has a house very similar to a treehouse! It is in the woods. It starts on the ground, but it is so tall and skinny that it feels like a treehouse once you are in it and up top. Very fun!

Anji Tee said...

I LOVE this post! I share your fascination with treehouses Kimba!

I recently read an article which detailed forest fire watch towers out in national parks that could be rented...some of which one would have to hike in to get there. Sign me up!

I am a new home decor/mommy blogger - as of today! I added your button and will be keeping up with you and your blog - I love your new design!

Anonymous said...

I noticed one of your pictures is from Out 'n About in Oregon. We vacationed there in 2003. My son cried when it was time to go. Awesome post - it brought back fond memories of our family adventure!

Kim Hancock said...

Forget having a playhouse for the kids. I'll take the last one... and put it right in my backyard for a "mom getaway"!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know that I ran across your blog and love it. I read another blog (Homesteades Heart) and say about unplug Fridays that led me to your sight. Anyway my daughter said the other day that there was thought in her mind about living in a tree house when she is older. When I saw your blog I had to show it to her. We live in Oregon and in Southern Oregon I believe Cave Junction there is a man who builds tree houses and you can rent them, just like a hotel. We have never been there but would like to sometime. Just wanted to let you know in case the hubby didn't believe you on this that yes Oregon does have a treehouse resort!

Have a great day and keep blogging away!

Dana