14 October 2008

Updating a Sofa


Have I shown you this sofa? I'm willing to bet that at least two of you are going to comment and say, "HEY! I have that same sofa!"



She sits next to this sofa in the new house. In the old house, they were in different rooms and that was good for everyone. Blue denim for the playroom. Earthy green, Ethan Allen floor model for the family room.



The new house has a much bigger family room and the long-term plan was to buy a beautiful sectional. But with the state of things right now, that plan is on long-term hold. So what's a girl to do? They don't look horrible together, but they don't play together all that well either.



How about some new earthy green back pillows for Big Blue (as we call the blue sofa)? I'm not looking for matchy-matchy but they play together much more nicely now.



See? But it's time to hang something on the wall, no?

It's one of my more expensive projects, but for $80, I've got a new look for my sofa that will keep me happy for a long time. That makes hubby happy. And you should know that it wasn't my $80. They were an early birthday gift from my Mom. Thanks Mom! That makes hubby happy too.



The new pillows came from Overstock.com and they're actually floor pillows but they're perfect for this use. An easy and relatively inexpensive way to update an uphostered piece.


post signature

71 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Darlene said...

That blended the two sofa's together very nicely!! Looks GREAT!

Mrs. Gray's Class said...

Looks great - I love the piping on both sofas!

TupeloLove said...

Such a great idea! I love it, and it's perfect to save some money.

Tonya said...

Great idea! Definately a nice update...love your ideas!

CMB said...

Great idea...what an amazing transformation!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Great idea! Any ideas on how to spruce up a leather sofa? I REALLY want to buy a fabric upholstered sofa but like you said...with the state of things...it's not even on the list.

Suzann said...

Amazing! I would have never thought of that. Just the changing of the pillows changes everything. WOW!

duchess said...

The finished look is very nice.
Good compromise.

Amanda said...

Fantastic Kimba! It totally pulls the colors of the two sofa's together. We also had hopes for new family room furniture when we moved into our new house however we've also had to put that on the back burner for now.

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Kimba, great blending of these two sofas. They look great together. Those good moms who give us great birthday presents too!!

Blessings,

Sher

Lulu said...

That turned out beautifully, as do most of your projects!

momtoqts said...

Looks fantastic!!! I love seeing posts of rooms in other people's homes. Gives me tons of idea.

Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Love what you did! My Ethan Allen couch looks a lot like a combination of the two of yours (shaped more like the green but with piping like the blue one). I love mixing up pillows to give the room a new feel without doing anything expensive or permanent. Nice!

Angie said...

I have the green one and by SIL had the blue one. I bet you have fun trying to keep the blue one clean... I like what you did they really tie together!

Karen said...

wow that really did pull them together! Wow!

Heather said...

What a great idea! They look wonderful together now.

createacraft said...

your sofa looks really like a soft place to land now..
enjoy..

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Good save, Kimba! Looks much better together now. You'll have to come over & see my lamp redo.

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

GREAT job Kimba! It really does work better now! When was your birthday? Happy belated!

Tiffany said...

The chick on "What not to Wear" always says... it doesn't have to MATCH it just has to GO. I think it applies to furniture, too. This is a perfect example.

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Pillows are one of the lesser expensive ways to totally change a couch - and when you get tired of them, you can make/buy another cover! They look great.

Valarie Lea said...

Oh you made it look great!

Val said...

Perfect way to combine them!

I'm jealous you HAD a room that could hold 2 full size sofas and look like it had tons of space left :)

I have to thank for your window post in august......i finally did mine and i plugged you for my source!

Judy @ In His Grip said...

Great update. It looks so good with such little changes.

Patricia said...

Me! I have/had the blue one and loved it.

Hi, Kimba. I've been reading and enjoying your blog for a while, though I don't think I've ever commented. But, when I saw my former couch (the blue one) in this post, I knew I just had to raise my hand.

We gave that couch to my son and his wife who needed it more than we did. I love what you did with it.

Blessings!

Liz Harrell said...

This was such a good idea! I'm pulling my hair out over my sofa, so I LOVE seeing inspiration like this.

Shilo said...

FAB! Can't wait to see what you're going to put on the walls! :)

Jennifer P. said...

I think the two colors look GREAT together! Can't wait to see what you stick up on the wall :)!

Unknown said...

Excellent!! That really made the difference - they look like they go together now. Great idea!

Chris said...

How cool! I think you did a GREAT job of "meshing" the two couches! Nice.

Meridith said...

WOW!!! That looks GREAT!!!

Wendy said...

Good idea. Gotta love a cheap redo :)

stephanie h said...

Very clever idea! Looks great!

Shannon said...

It looks great! Now they are friends

Unknown said...

They look great together!

Angela @ Cottage Magpie said...

Very clever solution! I like it! I'm always amazed when things like this work, but they really do!
~Angela :-)

The Lunch Lady said...

Much better. I bet if you got or made a cover for the foot rest that had both colors in it, it would look even better! (of course it would have to be remnant fabric!)

Just my 2 cents!

I've done the slip cover thing in the past, but they just DON'T stay on with boys!! This is definately a better compromise.

Heathahlee said...

They look great together! I need some big pillows like that for a litle loveseat we're going to bring into the living room from our bedroom. I could get new pillows for the sofa to blend with the others and I'd be one happy woman! We've needed to update our sofa for a long time.

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

Hey Kimba, I like what you have done and....why don't you put a tray with something blue on it on your ottoman? I think the layout of the room is great, and the couches look good how you have them. Great job. In fact you are borderline brilliant!!!!! Yippeee, ok lets go for brilliant. Just be sure you remind your hubby how smart you are!
Blessings,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

That looks great! They really mesh well together now with the pillows. My mom has those same silk stripe and floral ones on her sofa. Very lovely.

-Hayley

Unknown said...

I love the idea! Yep time for some art on the wall!!!

Laura said...

I really like it! :) Great idea :)

Traci said...

I have to tell you that I couldn't visualize those two sofas together at all. My first thought was "Oh NO. She is NOT going to put those together." Then thought #2 was "She must be making a slipcover?"

And then when I saw your new pillows it all just came together for me. It looks fabulous.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimba!! Leave it up to you to know how to make everything go together. Looks great!! I love both of those sofas!!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Debbie said...

Kimba it looks fantastic. And just so you know, I am totally stealing the jack o lantern barn star idea. Totally.

Amy said...

Great update! It's nice to have so much comfy seating in the room, too, I bet!

Jen said...

What a great idea! Very creative and the price is way better than a new sofa! :)

Amber said...

Wow! What a complete difference that made. Everything thing looks very coordinated now. Great job!

John Deere Mom said...

Ah! I love it! I have a very similar green sofa with oranges and reds. Love it with the blue. Great job making it work together!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Perfect mix for both. They look great together now. Jackie

Tausha said...

much cheaper than a new couch and much cuter! I love the pillows-the couches now look like they were bought together! Way to go! Do you ever get tired of being so crafty and "on the ball"-just checking!

Cricket said...

So, just before I go ripping my sofa apart, were the blue ones attached to the back of the sofa? Or were they cusions that just rested there?

What a brilliant idea. I love it! Good job!

Vanessa Greenway said...

Kimba, they look so fancy! Love the colors! The cushions are so pretty! xo Vanessa

Tracey said...

Great idea!! Amazing how it pulls the two colors together!

The Beauty Bargainista said...

I love the couches together with the new pillows! It looks so comfy, I feel like I could just have a seat and join you for coffee! (PLEASE invite me to coffee! LOL!!!)

Shell in your Pocket said...

Looks great...such a great way to snazzy up any room! Love it!
-Sandy Toes

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Yipee - I am clapping from here to there. :)

Esther said...

Great, simple makeover. We've never actually bought a new sofa the whole time we've been married, we just keep updating from other's cast offs. It would be nice to get new ones some time, but cushions make such a difference in the mean time.

aurora said...

Lovely! So nice to see that we can still pretty things up on a budget.

Marie said...

So did anyone say they have that sofa? (there are 59 comments...I can't read them all...lol) Because I HAVE THAT SOFA!! Well, I did. Technically I still have the loveseat. I know use one of those big cushions that came off the back for a dog bed in my office. lol You sure made it look cute. I just covered mine with a slipcover. I'm so unimaginative!

Deb said...

Great ideas as always Kimba, everything is perfect now. Deb

Hope said...

A perfect blend.

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

I've done that pillow trick quite a few times and it really does work! Ties things together and updates a sofa all at the same time. You can't beat that for the money! Love your Before & After. :-)

Happy day,
Melissa

Anonymous said...

You're a genius. Just thought you'd like to know. :)

Stacy said...

Awesome job! Way to 'use what you have' and make it work!

~Stacy

Kathi Roach said...

Beautiful!!! You totally rock Kimba. Love ur practical solution to this. I swear we used to have the same couch!!!

Amy Jo said...

Great idea! I agree with the other commenter that I'd love to see you do something with that ottoman. I imagine you'll never run out of things to change around and show us!

The Style Sisters said...

You are good!! Wow what a great idea. LOve it!

Maureen said...

Great idea!

Jamie said...

I love this transformation!!! We just bought a our 1st house, so we're trying to adjust to a new budget. I keep tellin hubby I want new furniture but that's just out of the question right now. So I'm so glad I found this blog, b/c I'm going to give it a try. Hope you don't mind but I linked your blog and idea on my blog.

Unknown said...

I love the way you made the sofas go together, very creative and you proved that things don't have to match exactly for them to look awesome together...