25 August 2008

Some Curtains for the Back Porch

You all know that I have a love for putting curtains on my porch, right? Here is a picture of what I did at our old house. If you want to read the whole post about it, click here.

I decided that I wanted to get started on my back porch at the new house by making a little nook for sitting and sipping tea.


Here is what it looked like when I started. How do you like my hose? We're watering day and night trying to grow grass in the midst of the longest dry spell since early last year.

Those curtains are just canvas drop cloths that you would use for painting. My Wallyworld sells the 6'x9' size for about $7. They're perfect for this use because the fabric is so durable.


I wanted them to be easy to put up and take down in case of bad weather. The ring clips worked great! You can see that my panels were a little too long so I just folded over the top and clipped it there.


Two tie-backs made from scraps of fabric to hold them out of the way. Oh good grief! You'd think I could have bothered to put them on right-side-up. I didn't notice until I saw this picture.



Are you wondering why there are little ribbons attached to each panel?



When I'm feeling the need for some real privacy, I can do this. And they stay closed even in a light breeze.


Do you remember that little stool that I asked you all about when I was moving? I decided to go red. You can read about how the rocker and stool came to be here.



This is definitely my new favorite spot in the house. I may be sitting there having a cup of coffee while you're reading this.


post signature

73 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Free Art Printables said...

Oh how nice to sit with a good book and relax in such a calm and restful area.. ahhh.. can you tell I love it?

Unknown said...

It looks great Kimba! And I love the red stool especially with the black rocker.
Diane

ROXY said...

What a great idea Kimba!! I would of never guessed those were drop cloths!! They look so chic!! Like something from Pottery Barn. Great Idea!!

Rachel Berry said...

Oh I am seriously loving this! You do such a great job on all of your projects. I looks so nice and inviting. Enjoy your new 'room'.

:)Rachel

Unknown said...

I am needing ideas for my back patio - that is a great one! I do wish you could come to my house and come up with the ideas for me. It hurts my brain to be as creative as you. :)

Jenny said...

I love the idea of using drop cloths. Who would have thought? I have the perfect spot to try that on our front porch.

V and Co. said...

absolutely love it!

maryanne420 said...

kimba,
your blog is one of my favorites. you have such practical, great ideas that make a house a home. i love it. thanks for all of the great tips.

mary anne

Nancy Hood said...

You're probably asleep :) but I can still tell you how neat I think this idea is!!

Unknown said...

I stopped back by to say that I've given you an award and tagged you for a meme on my blog!

Blogger said...

That is beautiful, Kimba!

I have arches on my front porch. I wonder if I could still pull off this look? I would also need to put holes in the brick, which drives my hubby crazy...so that's an added bonus ;)

What a great idea!!!

Bella

Marie said...

Well, you know I love it! It looks beautiful out there already. Hard to imagine not getting any rain though. Our ground can't take another drop!

The red stool looks great!!

Missy Wertz said...

I like those Kimba! I have been looking at them at home depot. The basement is my studio. (Photographer) We have wooden shelves built to store 'stuff' on and it is unsightly. And b/c clutter, toys, propts, my rolling fold up cutting table, etc is stored back there. And I keep put up in cases (too many neighbor kids like to come in and play... and that area is not off limits.) Long story short, I thought those canvas drop cloths would make excellent drapes to cover those unsightly shelves. I can tastefully organize around the clutter, I could dye some different colors have instant hanging back drops for those phone calls I get "The Birmingham News has GOT to have a Photo by 2:00 PM today!...." All I would have to do is set up Lights and Camera! Easy to clean and Wally Would that much cheaper huh? Do they have the larger sizes? HD has some huge ones.

I could not buy the fabric and make them this inexpensively. Believe me I have tried. I spend a fortune on backdrops. This looks like it will hold up.

You know what I would do? I would spray those with an 'outside' type spray that you get at home depot or wally world or lowes. It will protect the fabric from rain, mold and the elements just in case you do not get them down in time. I saw some with the rusteoleum spray paint section.

Sorry about the disertation.

Love the drapes!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Now when you get overwhelmed by all the unpacking, you have your own special place to escape to.

Gretchen

Anonymous said...

What a perfect little spot to spend some time... You are so crafty my dear! Those sweet neighbors will be wondering what in the world you are doing behind that curtain. First neighbors MOOOOve in , now there doing stuff behind that curtain ;)
I really have liked that idea from your first post and guess I will have to try it soon. My neighbors would really begin to talk... They already think Im weird cause I paint sticks black and take gajillions of pictures... have a great one!

Natalie said...

I NEARLY spent $40/panel for some P@ttery B@rn outdoor panels ~ and for some reason I kept hearing "DON'T DO IT! DON'T DO IT!" -- Now I know why!! I love this AND will be doing it on our pool deck. We need something to soften it up out there!!

LOVE YOUR BLOG ~ and I've totally stolen a lot of your ideas!! :) You do such a FANTASTIC job and make it SO easy!!

Priscilla said...

I'll come join you for that cup...but you will need to get another chair.

duchess said...

Once again - genius.
It looks great & hope you're enjoying that Monday morning coffee on your beautiful porch.

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Such a neat idea! Love the black rocker with the little red stool. Looks like a perfect little spot to get away. Jackie

Anonymous said...

wow Kimba!

what a great idea and a great job, you've really given me some inspiration there, I have the exact same area on my deck, it is kinda too open, not overlooked but not private enough and we've been thinking on how to solve it, I was going with bamboo blinds, ihadn't even thought of curtains...I even thrifted a pair of cream curtains the other day for like pennies, all i need now is a pole and some rings - i love the softness it has given to your deck and the kinda inside out feel, love that...

great post I love all the ideas I get when I come here, the chair looks just right in that spot too and the red stool beautiful with the rocker

Kitty Scraps said...

Kimba! How did you know I've been racking my brain to come up with a low cost alternative fabric to use for porch drapes? And you found it! Perfecto sweetie! I have a stool that is the big sister to your little red table, it's very wobbly/wonky as one leg is too long or three legs are too short? *smiles* I think I'll leave mine red too since yours looks so great.

Went to Lowe's over the weekend to seach for the paint you suggested for my lamps. Found it! Love it! Just have to find a moment to start painting. Saw some shades there too that may work, along with slightly less expensive ones at Wally. Will have to take a lamp in to try them out first. Maybe this upcoming weekend I'll have my lamp act together. Thanks for the paint suggestion, I got the copper one.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

They look fabulous! What a great coffee spot!

Wendy said...

I love your little corner. I've been thinking of doing something similar on my side porch...I love the TOILE!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Oh, pretend you're drinking that coffee with me. LOVE IT!! Can you leave the canvas up during storms or does it just get too drenched?

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Kimba, you're not letting any grass grow under your feet,girl. Do you ever sit down & enjoy that rocker, LOL? Looks great..you're busily getting that place looking so homey and cozy.

Shannon said...

Love this! And I love that toile fabric!

Mary said...

I love that spot. It's perfect!

Mary said...

I love that spot. It's perfect!

meg said...

You are a genius. Period. I am SO copying you on this one! :)

Lauren and Justin said...

this looks great! i really want to do this at my house - thanks for inspiring :)

Unknown said...

Very nice...love the idea of the drop clothes very frugel.

I would like to make a nice spot on my front porch, we have been using it a lot lately because it's so quiet...but curtains for me would be purly decorative...not functional.

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

What a great idea Kimba!!!

I would have never thought to use drop cloths. Perfect.

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Very nice and cozy--love the privacy it gives you, too.

~ Sarah

Georgia Girl said...

Kimba...I just love it..You have the most amazing ideas that I always look forward to your next post...I love the little stool also...Sitting here at work of course, much rather be on my porch sipping coke and reading the paper...thanks so much for the great stuff you share with your friends. I just love here....Beth

I`m Sassy, said...

I found your blog about a week ago and have been reading and enjoying it.

I love the curtains on the porch! I have an old fashioned front porch i want to do this to, so i will be looking for curtain deals, maybe next summer we will be enjoying our porch a little more!

Thank you

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Canvas drop cloths--fantastic idea!! Looks so peaceful and inviting :)

Blessings,
Stacey

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

How great to use the canvas curtains. Perfect! I hope you are having a yummy cup of coffee there right now! :)
-Carrie

TupeloLove said...

Kimba, it looks awesome! What a nice, cozy place to enjoy some tea or read a book! I wish I had a porch that I could do this!

Kathryn said...

Love that, Kimba! Is that a tension rod, or did you mount it? And, how did you attach the yellow ribbons to tie the panels together?

Monday blessings!

nikkicrumpet said...

WELL DANG IT! Makes me wish soooo bad I had a porch to curtain. They look marvelous and the drop cloth idea is genius!

Karin said...

That is the neatest idea I've seen in a long time! I love it (and may have to copy it!). Thanks!!!

AJ said...

I love it! I so need to do this to my front porch:) Maybe I can make a statement and hang my already paint splotched drop cloths. Oh, it could be art;)

Gina said...

I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!!!!!
I am so totally going to do this- thank you for the tip of the dropcloths!!! I've been wanting to do something like this for a long time, and wasn't sure the best material to use. I guess sailcloth would work, too- but I'm sure the drop cloths are cheaper!GREAT IDEA!!!!!!

meg duerksen said...

this is so great!
it looks so nice and makes your porch a whole new room.
i love it!

Mrs. B said...

I love those curtains! Using drop cloths was a great idea! I may have to steel your idea. The little red table is adorable too!

Cathy said...

Looks adorable Kimba! I love that red you did for the stool. Just perfect!

JoAnne said...

What a great idea! I have been looking at outside curtains to block the setting sun that peeks under our gazebo around dinner time. But, they are sssooooo expensive. I think I will give this a try. Thanks! JoAnne

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Kimba,
You and the Nester are my heros. I have spent hours on both your sites. Thanks so much for sharing not only photos, but instructions, with many of your projects.

I, too, participated in Nester's recent party. I hung my panels with clips, like you, and then put berries and tiny bead garland on the rod. Feel free to take a peek. : )
M.L. (# 90 at the party) or

http://thehouseofwhimsy.blogspot.com/

Lorie said...

I am going to have to see if my Wally World sells that canvas!! I would love to do something similar for my back patio!

Thanks for the wonderful idea!

Megan @ Megity's Handmade said...

I just love outdoor "rooms". That looks very inviting!

cherry said...

Yeahhhh you went red...hoped you would girlie. Very cooool trans. cherry

Mrs. Gray's Class said...

Just lovely!

Nicole said...

Now I really want to get my act togther and put some curtains on my porch. Yours look wonderful!

Traci said...

I love this idea. It looks so inviting, much more cozy than the before picture.

Mind if I link to this?

Jo said...

I love that red stool! Perfect colour for it. And your porch curtains are so pretty.

trish said...

What a perfect idea! I am wondering how it would look indoors. Your home is lovely and thank you for sharing your progress of moving in and feathering. :o)

Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Anonymous said...

Oh Kimba! You are so creative and look at your porch! I love how you made the curtains - drop cloths? Hum, maybe I need some of these! This is just great and I would love to sit in your rocker with the pillow at my back, of course and put up my dainty little feet on the precious little red stool. I have a tiny white wicker stool that just may end up this color.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Linda said...

This is so nice. I don't have a porch where I can hang curtains but I have enjoyed looking at your yours.
Blessings,
Linda

Anonymous said...

What an awesome idea. I had such bought a roll of canvas to do this ~ but I never enen considered buying painter drap cloth. OH WELL!?!?!? I best get ot sewing so my porch can look as good as yours.

taratoons said...

I did my first furniture rehab & it turned out great - thank you for the inspiration!!

A Hint of Home said...

Cute idea and it gives you so much privacy. I like the color on the stool.

{oc cottage} said...

Looks fabulous!!! Great idea!!!!

M^..^

Kristi~The Slipcover Girl said...

Love those! I want to do something similar to my front porch! Very creative with the drop cloths.

Courtney said...

Ah, Kimba, how I've missed your posts while I was on vacation. I just spent (way too much) time reading everything I missed. You are a gem! Love the drop cloth idea...also your window mistreatment...and everything else from last week. :-)

Anonymous said...

very cute. little nooks are one my favorite things!

Tausha said...

I wish that i could have that in my backyard. Sad to say i don't have an awning and my hubby said that it wont work. CRAP! (info from my daughter that is a garbage word-sorry if I offended you!
I am sure that you checked out the paint party at Joys-how do you like that apple green color a couple of people used. I think that i am going to go to Lowes TONIGHT so I can get me some of that apple lovin!

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

Kimba, I just love this idea. You did such a great job too. We have a very long porch and I would love to make a private area. Yours seems so homey. Really enjoyed looking at your whole blog!
Blessings, Debbie

Unknown said...

That looks great I wish I had a back porch to try it on!

Bonnie the Boss said...

Will you come make a deit coke sippinr nook for me? I need a restful place! I love yours. The colors are perfect.

Lulu said...

You are so creative. I love love love your porch!

Anonymous said...

Love this idea......

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous idea! We have been looking for a solution for our patio and that curtain looks so nice! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea...I even have a curtainhanging on my porch...apparently my neighbor doesn't like my "shower curtain" because she thinks w are blocking her out...I kept correcting her through the convo that it's a CURTAIN..whatever!