30 July 2008

Furniture Rehab or Raving Lunatic

You decide... (But I will tell you that my husband is definitely on the side of lunatic)

I have this white rocking chair that I've been wanting to rehab for a while. My husband bought it for me for my first Mother's Day. I love it but it's definitely seen better days and I have a perfect spot for it in the new house.

So what was I doing yesterday? Was I packing the rest of my dishes? Cleaning out the "catch-all" desk? Making sure my family has clean britches? Well yes, I was doing those things but I was also spray painting a rocking chair. I have a major problem prioritizing.

Just to be clear, all of those things were done with the assistance of my dear mother. And by "assistance" I mean that she worked her tail off while I did really important things like painted and ate chocolate. Thanks Mom!

In my defense, it was perfect spray painting weather. It was warm with absolutely no wind. We live on top of a hill and that NEVER happens. So I dragged the chair out into the yard and got to work.

Some of you have asked me how I decide which color primer to use - black, grey or white. This is a perfect example of why I sometimes use black. I could have used any color primer since I was painting the chair black. But black primer under black paint is soooooo much more forgiving to my quick paint jobs. I wanted to paint the underside of the chair too but if I miss a few spots with the paint no one will notice because of the black primer.

Just a warning. This is one of the dangers of spray painting. Spray Paint Finger. Yuck!

Here is the finished product!


So give me your opinion on the wicker stool. I want to use it as a little side table with the rocker. Should I paint it black to match the chair or should I use a fun color. The chair is going on the back porch. What do you think?

115 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

V and Co. said...

absolutly perfect is what i think!

Unknown said...

Kimba
You don't know how much I enjoy your blog!
You won't believe this, but I have the same rocker...in fact I have 4 of them!!

We have white vinyl siding and black shutters. I have seriously considered painting the chairs black. Just waiting to get up the nerve, and for the weather to cool off.

I'm posting a picture of my house tomorrow...if you have time, give me your opinion.

About the stool...I'm going out on a limb here...paint it BRIGHT! You can always go back and repaint if you want to!
Have fun,
Diane

Amber said...

The chair looks great! I vote for painting the table a fun color to add a little pop. As you know, you could easily change it up later! ;)

Carry Grace said...

Love, love, love the chair! Black spray paint makes everything better. I would go with a fun color for the table. If you change your mind you can always spray paint over it with black.

Sonya said...

Me, I'd paint it colorful. Is that lime green on the accent pillow? Pretty! And, like nikki said, you could always go back with black if you didn't like the color afterall

Caren said...

Looks great! Yep, I'm with the paint it a bright color gals! Go for it!

Tara said...

Love the chair! I'm wanting to paint some furniture of mine and have no clue what I'm doing! Going to give it a go though and see what happens.

I also vote a fun color for the wicker stool!

Rachel Berry said...

I L. ♥. V. E. IT! It's perfection all the way around. I also agree with the ladies, paint that little side table a fabulous color it will look great.

Did I mention that I love it? :)

Kristy said...

Just adding another vote for a bright, fun color!

Love your blog - you make me want to grab every piece of furniture I own and a can of spray paint!

The Berry's Patch said...

Hi Kimba,

The chair turned out great! I also vote a fun color for the table. I keep checking out your blog...you have so many great ideas!

Brandee :-)

Tracy said...

one more vote for painting the table a fun color!
Every time I read your blog I get a little more courage to make my decorating ideas a reality!

cherry said...

Love the chair..I vote for the table to be red. Can't wait to see what you decide. cherry

Lacy said...

I think the table would be adorable green to match the pillow. But if you have another pillow the table would be so cute turqoise (sp? its late) or red.

Julie said...

FUN COLOR... it matches your fun personality! Enjoy!!!

ugagirl30 said...

I think it is unanimous--the chair looks fabulouso and the color should be bright. I am so loving the paint job!! You've got me hooked on spray paint.

Marie said...

Paint the stool a fun color! I gravitate toward black for most things, but I think something bright would be fun with the black chair. Your rocking chair looks great, by the way! I paint a LOT of things in the middle of my yard in the grass. I can always mow over it and the paint overspray is gone.

I think I have 'spray paint finger' every day! It doesn't come off as easy as regular old paint in a can, that's for sure! I have some turquoise stuck under my nails as I type!

Kitty Scraps said...

Your chair is perfection and I definitely need to paint my rocker black having seen yours. I vote for a fun pop of color for your side table.

I wonder if I sent you some pictures of furniture rehab if you'd give your opinion??? Pretty please? After you're all done with your moving and are settled in of course.

Ann said...

Black spray paint rules my world!
The rocker looks awesome , go with a fun color for pop on the table.

I have can understand , I have trouble with priorities as well.

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

I vote a fun color and you can paint it later black when that trend goes out of style. i say have your cake now and later. We all know you have 100 cans of spray paint so go browse your collection and spray that thing up and report back.

Like always great job

Empty Nest Full Life said...

I would paint another color that you would like to use on the porch. Something from the pillow or even black would be good. You are a great judge of these things, and it always looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

oh well I'm not in the majority, I think it'd look fabbo painted black and then have a planter or a lamp or some other accessory in a zappy colour with a cushion to match

love your ideas, just keep getting more and more inspiration every time I visit here!

Unknown said...

I would go for a fun color...the chair looks great...but adding color to the little "table" would give it a realy punch...

Darlene said...

The rocker looks great now....I agree with everyone else a pop of color on the little wicker table! You are just too funny packing and spray painting....what a combo!!

Sarah Mae said...

I think if you intend to keep that pillow on the chair, you should paint the little table that green color. Pretty.

TupeloLove said...

Great job on the rocker! I love spray paint in an obsessive way, it's amazing what you can transform with it! I agree with most of the ladies - paint the stool a fun color, you can always repaint it later!

Wendy said...

LOVE the rocker!
I think the table would look good painted...maybe red?

Stephanie said...

it looks amazing! I bought two wicker chairs at a model home sale and they've been re-spraypainted a few times! I have a question for you though...I have two very similar rockers but the seats and back are wicker. I've had them for years and brought them with me when we moved to florida...but now the wicker is turning black (I'm assuming from the humidity?). I hate to get rid of them because they hold wonderful memories but I'm not sure how to re-hab them!

A Hint of Home said...

I love the rocker and it's new color. I vote to paint the stool. Maybe the accent color in the pillow.

Sarah said...

Love the chair! I think a fun color would be...fun! Like others have said, something to match the pillow or something that coordinates. Also, my husband found a contraption that you put on the top of a spray paint can so you don't color all over yourself. It fits on top of the nozzle and has a trigger that you pull so your hands don't even get near the paint! I used it and LOVE it! You can probably get it at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Trixi said...

I have never thought to spray paint my rockers. I have always brush painted them. Great idea. I would definitely paint that wicker stand.
Have a great day~~

Jackie ♥ said...

I think you should go with a bright color. I love rockers like that. I actually have a glider rocker in my livingroom I'm thinking of painting..actually all my wood furniture in my Livinging needs some updating....I'm afraid my husband might freak if I paint it all black..hehee. I guess I will have to wait until he's gone on a trip, and just get it all done and surprise him! He can't do much once it's done..right??!! hehee

How's the packing going? I've said a prayer for you almost daily..that things go smoothly for you!

Hugs,
Jackie

Julie said...

Love the rocker I vote for a pop of color!

Linda said...

I am so in the minority. Only one other person said black but I think black too and some fun colorful accessories, a plant in a bright red container maybe? Not really sure why I gave my opinion I am not very good at decorating.That's why I frequent this blog to copy all that I can. :)
Blessings,
Linda

shaybert said...

I have one of those chairs too and my dog chewed the runners! I agree... paint the stool bright. My vote is the bright green from the pillow. Lime? Can't wait to see what colors your fingers are from this one. Blessings, Shay

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Hat's off to Linda who was the only one who said go with black. Do you really need my vote? Whenever I get to a design post where there are already 30+ fabulous opinions...I defer to the experts(unless it's on topics that I am "good" at...meals,music, parenting, procrastination.:)You always make good decisions.

Natalie said...

Perfect!! You should paint the stool a FUN COLOR for sure!!

Lucrecia said...

Love the new chair. I think the stool would look fun in a green pulled from the pillow in the chair!

Anonymous said...

have you seen the handles for the spray paint? work really nice. i vote fun color for the stool.

Angela said...

I'm leaning toward black, but then again I am kinda "matchy-matchy".
The rocker looks great!

Stacy said...

I love the chair black! Perfect!

I would paint the table a soft robins egg blue... like your signiture box color.

PS. I added your blog to my blogroll. I love it!

~Stacy

Anonymous said...

Your rocking chair has a sista out here in the Twin Cities!! We painted the same exact rocking chair black when we lived next to you guys. I will have to touch it up a little bit now to get it back up to par after seeing how lovely yours looks!! Great job.

I say paint the side wicker table a bright green to match your fun accent pillow (which I am totally stealing the idea off of you!). Love it!!

Nicole said...

Wow it looks brand spankin new. So my husband is getting pretty sick of me. Thanks to your blog :) I now have to go inside every little thrift store we drive by to go look for furniture to Rehab.

Val said...

I like the accent color in the pillow....i think that green would be great! What a wonderful outside accent color

Anonymous said...

Love the rocker black and think the stool needs to be a fun and funky accent color. As for your fingers ... wear gloves next time. I keep a box under my kitchen sink for such projects as spray painting, staining, handling raw meat ... anything that could get my hands icky. They are a lifesaver!

Anonymous said...

i think you should paint the stool a nice bright color that reveals your playful personality

Anonymous said...

Love the chair black Kimba.

I wear cheapy rubber gloves when I spray paint. I hate to admit it, but my husband was the one who told me about wearing them. Works great!

Gretchen

Courtney said...

ooh...paint it a FUN color (as only you can!!) black would be too boring :-)

Christina said...

I love the chair! And go with a fun color for the table.

Can I borrow your mom?

Shannon C said...

Your furniture rehab 101 and 102 have been a great help! I have painted a bench and some mirrors thanks to your help. It is much easier than I thought. Today, I will be painting my son's train table. The rocker looks great! I also vote for painting the side table a fun color.

Chris said...

Oooh, I have an answer for this one! You should paint it a fun aqua color to match the pillow on the chair! How cute would that be!? The chair looks brand new!

Kitty Scraps said...

Hi Kimba
Just sent you an invite to view the photos of my future furniture rehab. TIA for looking!

angela | the painted house said...

I don't know, Kimba, but it seems to me that you have your priorities straight!

I've had white primer in my hair for two months now. I keep thinking it will wash out but it doesn't. I finally cut some of it out.

I love your pillow in that swank black rocker...and I say bright on that stool!

Anonymous said...

I would say either paint it lime green (I LOOOVE black and lime green) or add a little "table cloth" type thing if you can't make up your mind.
Happy Wednesday!

jeana said...

I vote to paint the stool the color green in the pillow on the rocker! and have to say.. I'm inspired... going to the store today to get some primer and paint... I've got some great chairs in my thrift adventures as of late and I think it's about time they get a make over! :)

Kathi Roach said...

Love your blog...

The chair turned out great. Spray paint rocks!

One more vote for painting the table.

AJ said...

Kimba,
Love the chair AND the stool. I think someone in my family used to have one like that. I agree with the FUN color. I know you'll fun it up good:):)

Anonymous said...

Sidetracked? That is too funny. With the moving truck coming in the morning, you better make sure that rocker is dry before anyone loads it. >:)

Though, I do love the end result. As for the table, go BOLD! You know you want to.

-- Brandi

Deb said...

Holy Cow you got a lot of comments on this one. Okay, here is one more... I love it!!! I think it looks so good. Husbands can't see the finished product the way we can in our heads. So just let the lunatic part slide. I totally vote for a bright fun color, like red. But I love red. Great job. Your porch will look fabulous.

Aubrey said...

Ooh, I say go with color--a bright one like pink or lime green or aqua or apricot or blue or yellow or red, or whatever your favorite color is that's probably not on my overly-suggestive suggestion list.

By the way, that chair rocks.

Erin said...

I'm saying go bright!

Deanna said...

I love the rocker! I have a chair in the house that I've been eyeing for painting - Hubby doesn't know it yet.

My vote is red for the little stool...something with a POP to it! :)

Infarrantly Creative said...

Fun color all the way!

The Beauty Bargainista said...

Oh, I love the chair! You know, I think the little side table would look cool in like bright red or a soft blue. Are you going to be adding drapes to your back porch? maybe it should match them? Cant wait to see what you decide! :)

scargosun said...

Fun color or keep a small plant on it with red flowers like a geranium. ;)

Anonymous said...

Kimba,

Don't feel bad girl...I think you should spray paint something at least once a day! Hubby thinks I'm looney too :) The chair turned out perfect. I'd definately paint the little table a fun color...maybe yellow or red, or heck even lime green... those always look great paired with black. Too cute!!

-Hayley

Just Lisa said...

What about a lime green to tie it with the pillow on the chair? I think that would look cute and be really fun!

Mrs. Jones said...

My vote is, paint that little table a fun color. Maybe a green or blue color from the pillow.

And I laughed out loud when I read this post! Everyone laughs at me because I always have spray paint on my hands!

~Heather

Claremont First Ward said...

Fun color, definitely. THe chair looks great!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Black spray paint to the rescue again. Looks great! You can go either way on the side table. If you have some other colors you want to bring in that space, I'd say paint it a pretty fun color...like lime green or aqua blue. Those are great with black.

Rhoda

Anonymous said...

The rocker looks great. I vote for painting the stool a bright color!

~Nancy~ said...

Good job! I would choose lime green or red with a cute pillow to accent.
If you are like me and spray paint a lot, get one of those triggers that fits over the spray nozzle of the can. It snaps in the lip of the can and fits over the nozzle. I got mine at a dollar store and man, oh man! What a difference it makes! No more paint fingers and best of all, no more "finger cramp" from holding down the spray button. You just pull the trigger.

::Traci:: said...

SO beautiful!

Your blog {& this very post & your rocker!} are getting some props today over @ my blog!

I am a new fan ;-)

sweetfunkyvintage said...

I love the chair! I would like to see the wicker table in red, or green or blue.
Missy

Heathahlee said...

Not that you'll even see this (73 comments!?!?) but I think you should do what you want to with that little wicker table. Paint it black to match the chair...Cool! Paint it lime to match the fabric on the pillow...Cool! I have no doubt it will be beautiful no matter what you do!

(I gotta get on here earlier...I bet your husband thinks I've fallen off the face of the earth again!)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimba! Oh, you did an outstanding job on the rocker. It looks just wonderful black. I say paint the little stool a kicky little color - maybe the lime green in the fabric or a teal blue. You're amazing. Wish I had your energy! Did you save me some chocolate!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Randall @ Happy For This Moment said...

Looks great! I would paint it a fun color... maybe green like in the pillow?

Haley said...

A fun color is in order for the stool. Maybe bright green to match the throw pillow in the chair.

Jennifer said...

Love, love, love the chair painted black. My vote is for a fun color! BTW....I adore you blog!

Blogger said...

Nice chair, you did good!

I vote for one of these colors for the table:

black
apple green
aqua blue

Isn't spray paint wonderful?

Bella

Finding Normal said...

Love that! I'm thinking lime green to go with your cute little pillow!

Shannon said...

I love it black!! I like the table the natural wicker color. But I like to mix finishes. Love that chair!

Laura said...

The chair looks great and practically brand new! I see the little wicker chair in a fun color!

A little lunatic in everyone is expected! What fun would we have?

Laura :)

Madison Envy said...

I Love the new look of the chair!

cherry said...

Hi Kimba! Thanks for coming and visitin me! I already voted on the stool but just wanted to let ya know that is fine with linkin on Saturday. Thanks for askin! Always fun visiting you! cherry

Tausha said...

i never use primer when i spray paint. Never! Should that be something that I use now? When I spray black, i spray red first and then the black. I like a little bit of the red to show through. Is that basically the same idea as primer? I am a little slow-I know.
I don't think your a lunatic. I think that you are perfectly normal. (this coming from a fellow spray paintaholic.) I would paint the little table red-or if you have more splashes of color on the back porch, follow suite with that. I love the chair, looks like a comfy place to read and eat!

Kristen said...

I'll vote for fun color on the side table and why are you not using a spray paint can holder to spray with? It's a cheapie plastic thing that cost $3 at the hardware store. Keeps you finger from being bent like that for hours afterwards!

Chair turned out darling..and I gave you an award on my blog today!

Anna Maria Junus said...

I vote for a bright color for the table too.

Kitty Scraps said...

Thanks Kimba for taking a look and giving your opinion. I was afraid it was too far gone to tackle, especially since my hubs is grousing about it "being a lot of work" lol. Do you recommend spray painting it or brush painting? Normally on furniture I brush paint but if spray would work better? That's a lot of cans! I also saw on Rhoda's blog where she wiped walnut stain over her distressed areas... which is similar to your red paint undercoat idea. I'm picking it up next weekend from Charleston! Lucky me! Thanks again for looking!

Anonymous said...

You have completely changed the look of your furniture. I will also try it with old furniture of my home.

Kristi~The Slipcover Girl said...

Yes, I have the same disease of non-prioritizing! It's a sickness I tell you...a sickness! If you are going to use that cute little pillow in the chair...I would maybe pull out the green from the pillow and paint the table green. I love green and black together! You can always re-paint it black if you hate it!

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole said...

Kimba,
I know your a busy girl, but some visit, I'm having a HUGE giveaway!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I vote for lime green. Although I agree with my wife it will be awesome no matter what you choose.

Caroline said...

Hi Kimba, I am new to blogland and I think you should paint it a fun color. Pull a color from the cushion perhaps. It will stand out better next to the Rocker which looks great black.

Deb said...

Hi Kimba! I vote for a fun color, that's what I love so much about your projects. Deb

Anonymous said...

Definately a fun color like the icy blue or the lime green in the pillow. Both would go great with black and add that extra punch of fun and flair. Good luck with the move!!

Mary said...

Great job! Have you used those spray paint triggers...helps alleviate some of the paint on your hands...although it can kind of get full of paint and you have to watch for drips.... Anyway...rocker looks great. As for the stool...maybe something fun to pick up something else you'll have on the porch?

Good luck on your move. How fun!

Anonymous said...

Go for a FUN COLOR - like the lime green in your pillow!!!

Anonymous said...

HELP! My husband spray painted a piece of furniture and now it is rough like sand paper. What went wrong? He sanded it (more than I would have) and wiped it down.
Thanks

Blogger said...

I remember seeing this when you first posted it. It is so pretty and definitely worth another peek :) I love your blog :)

Bella

Unknown said...

What about that lime green color that is on the pillow. That's a fun color and would really make it all match cute-like!

Joy said...

Thank you so much for joining in the party!
I discovered the greatest little gadget for preventing spray paint finger. It just snaps on the can and works like a charm. I'm sure you'll love it as much as I do.
Your rocker looks lovely dressed in it's new color.
Don't you just love the many wonders of spray paint---one of the greatest inventions known to us decorating, project loving, blogging women.

trish said...

I am having rocking chair envy! Your painting project is beautiful! What special memories will be made in your newly adorned chair.
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Virginia said...

Your chair turnd out great, go with a happy, fun color for the table.
Blessings, Virginia

Anonymous said...

Well the black fingers are worth it all because this turned out great!!!

Missy Wertz said...

Black fingers is a very small sacrifice. :D I had black fingers the other day, in fact, several days in a row. People kept asking me what was wrong with my hands... Good job!

Heather Anne said...

I do love a black rocker - I've been on the lookout for one for ages! I think you did a fine job, and that the table could use a bit of pizazz!

Anonymous said...

Yep, I've had that finger problem many a time :-) I suppose I should wear some gloves! Anyway, it looks fantastic black!

Manuela

Beth at Aunties said...

Wow! What a beautiful difference! It absolutely looks like a new rocker. I love it!
These paintint projects are making me head to the paint store now.
Hugs and have a great day!
Beth

Lady Dorothy said...

The chair looks fantastic!

I agree with a lot of the comments -- a green to match your pillow!

Unknown said...

Again, way too late to be commenting, but I'd paint it the green that was in the cushion (or the blue in the cushion-but green is my favorite!)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that looks fabulous! We have two rocking chairs that look like that and we plan on spray painting them for part of our porch makeover!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Ha!! I love the spray paint finger! I think black spray paint could make almost anything shine -- this is fantastic. Thanks for linking up girl!

Honey said...

Came over from likemerchantships. I would pick up the green in the pillow for that little table! That would be fun and unexpected.