07 August 2008

One Hutch at a Time

My mom was visiting today and we decided it was time to put my dining room in order starting with the china hutch. Thank goodness for mom. Sometimes I just can't figure out where to start.

Here he is in all his naked glory. Well, not entirely naked. His backside is still covered with the scrapbook paper the I added before we moved.

I wanted to use black/white stuff so I opened up a bunch of boxes and put everything on the table. Then I had lots of things to play with. And that's really what this is. Play. It should be fun! Fiddle to your heart's content.

I knew that I wanted to put the birdcage on top of the cabinet to fill up some of the space above. It needed to be set on something to raise it up a bit.

Oops. The mixing bowl made it too high.

Much better. The empty box of swiffer refills was the perfect size.

After much fiddling and fooling, this is the result.

Even with the birdcage, there was still a lot of dead space on top so I hung a few plates on the wall. I love, love, love this!!!! I'm always trying to fill that space on top of the cabinet with something...urns, baskets, books, basketballs, whatever...but it never occured to me to actually hang something on the wall! Those plates made me giddy!

Pretty good. But something still isn't right.

But nothing that my trusty black spray paint can't handle.

post signature

58 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Nancy Hood said...

Yes, yes, yes!!! You've given me such confidence to spray what I don't like! The cage makes it all better :) but then, I knew there'd be a surprise at the end of this post. There always is!

Tausha said...

I AM JEALOUS OF THAT HUTCH!!!
Too cute!
I love how it turned out!
Isn't it funny that when us decorator moms move we must decorate!!
It's kind of a like a sick thing we do. .(at least I do, please tell me I am not alone)
When I went to church-people kept asking me if I was the new girl who had my whole house decorated in two days.
I din't think that was weird.
So glad that you are weird with me!! ha ha :)

Free Art Printables said...

That looks so great! That is something I would do, just whip out the paint... I love all of your stuff you have to play with.

Chris said...

Be-U-ti-ful!!! I love every inch of it. And, of course, the black birdcage--perfect!

cherry said...

I am sooo happy to be able to share in all of this with you! this is a lot of fun. I love it all Kimba. Beautiful . cherry

Rachel Berry said...

It turned out great! I love the scrap paper. I am thinking of doing this to my HUGE Dining room hutch. I just started collecting all things white well plates and such that is. It's fun!

;)Rachel

Rae said...

I have got to get to the store and buy me some spray paint! Since I found your blog I started collecting things that could use a nice coat of spray paint! :)

I think we have the same dining room chandelier. (I noticed it in the reflection of the glass doors)!

ugagirl30 said...

You know what's sad...when I first saw the birdcage, I thought that you've got to spray paint it black. Too funny!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

That looks great. I bet it is so much fun to start with a blank slate so you can experiment as you go. The bird cage looks great painted black. I know you are having fun.

Darlene said...

I was wondering why that birdcage wasn't painted when I first saw it....I thought ut oh, something new? Anyway, your arrangement looks fabulous and the black birdhouse....oh yea!!!!!

Cathy said...

Very pretty! I can't wait to get into my new house and start spray painting some treasures! :) You have inspired me!!

Stacy said...

Absolutely fabulous!! Looks amazing! And, I bet it feels more like home every day, huh?

~Stacy

TupeloLove said...

Everything looks great! I love the idea of hanging plates above it. I've had the same problems, but it never occurred to me to hang anything in a space like that! Great job!

Kat said...

The last thing my little eye spotted was the white little birdie that was spray painted a couple of months ago. Heathahlee gave me the same little birdie a couple of weeks ago. (You know she has an addiction now.) We must get together so our little birdies can play and chat.

Christi said...

It looks lovely - I'm always amazed at how well a little black spray paint works!

Cheri said...

Love what you have done.

I am all about plants (artificial that is) in your bird cage or a low plant just in front of the white plates? I did ivy in my bird cage and love it. Just a suggestion.

My Three Girls (The A girls) said...

Great job!!

You must have a major storage somewhere in your house that is a home to all this great stuff waiting.

I do not have places to store things while I wait to find them a "home" in my rooms of the house.

Unknown said...

Oh my...the urge to spray something in my house is overwhelming...Looks good!!

duchess said...

It came together beautifully.
Good idea to paint the birdcage & the plates.....brilliant.

We're ready for the next project.

Anonymous said...

oh, one cool hutch, I'd kill for that, too good with the spray paint, funny I just thrifted a black one with the intention of the white paint, but left it black and it rocks!

Michelle said...

That looks wonderful, I love the black on the birdcage and the beautiful white dishes just set it all off.

Take Care
Michelle

Caren said...

Looks great as usual Kimba! I love what you did.

alison said...

i like the balance in color.

Carry Grace said...

When I first saw the birdcage I had a feeling it would get sprayed black! It all looks great, and I love how you added the plates to the wall!

Anonymous said...

Thats it! You did it! Looks great... Now I bet you want to just sit back and look at that sweet space. I love the plates on top... very good idea....

Lucrecia said...

I love it! I need to find a bird cage - and I never thought I'd say that!

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Awh..my comment didn't post so I'll try again..sorry if it appears twice.

What a WONDERFUL job you and your Mom did. Everything looks perfect. I especially love the black bird cage.

In May I decided to repaint my table/hutch black, adding a home made black/white toile table clothe. I think I need to find a bird cage.

Be blessed in your new home.

Kim~

Chad and Rose said...

I totally agree with spraypainting the bird cage ~lovely idea! It worked so well and really ties everything together so nicely. Your accessories bring that hutch to life, really shows it off!! Gosh I wished we live closer, I would so be at your place for other inspiring ideas... Hugs! Love! Blessings from your friend!

Trixi said...

You and that spray paint. It looks great!!

Mrs. Gray's Class said...

Seriously, I have been on Craigs List and in every antique/flea market around for weeks looking for that hutch. I know this is a weird question, but do you know how wide it is? Looks beautiful!

AJ said...

It looks great! The birdcage definitely "pops" now:) Love your cozy corner too! The table looks just like one I picked up at a flea market this summer-except you got a better deal;) Does your table have some sort of print/detail on top? Just curious!!

Lauren and Justin said...

gorgeous, dahling!
looks like a nester hutch!

Inspired Kara said...

Fabulous call on sprayin up that bird cage. I LOVE this look. Come decorate my place?

Anonymous said...

Morning, Kimba! oh, how pretty this looks. I just love your china cabinet and may need to cover the back with scrapbook paper like yours. I love this look. You've dressed it all so prettily. Now you're a gal after my own heart - I just love plates on the wall and these are great.
Come over to my blog - I've tagged you if you want to participate you can, if you don't, that's okay too.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

scargosun said...

Yea! Looks great!

Shannon said...

Your china hutch is BEAUTIFUL!! I love the color and the curves. So pretty! I love how you decorated it. Love the idea of plates on the wall too!!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! I think plates on the wall is a must have in every home. It should be a rule.

Blanca

Laura said...

I can't wait to see the final house tour! These little teasers are killing me! Everything is just so beautiful! I will wait patiently though, for I know the final product will be worth the wait!

Laura :)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Oh, you're having fun getting settled in that new house! That's the fun part, playing around with dishes & things. I like how this turned out, spray paint & all. Oh, my spray paint & me have been best friends for YEARS.

I use old phonebooks for risers...works great!

Rhoda

Heathahlee said...

Beautiful! Yes, the black spray paint definitely did the trick! : )

Marie said...

I liked it so much the original color I was a little worried. lol But it looks great- like I KNEW it would be! Love that hutch. :o) Oh! And I'm so glad that someone else uses found objects around the house to raise things up on shelves. I have blocks of wood, boxes, folded up newspaper... all over the place!

trish said...

I am so glad that you put photos of your displays. You have a fantastic eye for balance and being the visual person that I am, it has been a giant blessing to see how you have pulled it all together! I love it! The sitting area is darling, the first thing I did was look around for a corner near a window to see if I could do something similar! :o) Love love love spray paint! It has been awesome to see all the items you have painted! WalMart has black rocking chairs on sale now and I would not have looked for one until I saw how lovely yours turned out!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Priscilla said...

You really have a wonderful gift that the Lord has given you. You use it well.

Deb said...

Wow that looks so nice. I've been gearing up to do that treatment on the back of my grandmother's old china hutch. I need to find some good scrapbook paper to do it though. Really looks great!!!

Deb said...

Great idea, to paint the bird cage black. Deb

Courtney said...

LOL!! "something still wasn't right" I just love how you operate, Kimba!

Laura said...

I just found you blog and think it is so pretty! And it looks like you've got quite a following. I'll have to check back and see what you are up to. I love the DIY spirit!

Anonymous said...

I liked the orange until it went up on top of the cabinet..then wow the black just makes it! Love the plates too...except if it was me I would probably forget to dust them :)

Gina said...

It looks fantastic!! I love the plates on the wall- and very clever with the scrapbook paper backing!!

Maureen said...

Stunning! It looks amazing.

Christina said...

You did an awesome job! It looks perfect!

Just Lisa said...

I've been lurking for awhile, but I just wanted to say that everything you do is so beautiful!

martha said...

Oh momma! I could learn so much from you! Thanks for the step by step photos. You have a true gift for decorating AND for teaching. Thanks for sharing them.

Elise said...

I love it!! Looks great!! Visited here before but can't remember if I have commented or not.
I am a lover of spray paint myself.
Elise

Kristen said...

I don't think to hang things that high either! Looks good!

Anonymous said...

I too love paint, particularly black paint.....Your hutch looks beautiful!!!!

roxtarc said...

Your plates idea just thrilled me and gave me an idea of what to do in our bedroom (over the GORGEOUS vanity i just got... currently hunting for a bench and i think i NEED your kinda thrift & yards sales cause round MY parts a vanity bench that need MAJOR rehab is in the ballpark of about $50 to $100... SIGH) anyway.... i'm thinking vintage mirrored vanity trays on the wall above the vanity (it's short and needs something above it)... YES (oh and of course there will be spray painting)!!

so glad I came across your blog I will be a stalker you can count on! (i was googling vintage vanity bench)! ;)

Robin said...

Hi Kimba....
I couldn't resist posting to THIS particular post...after meeting thru Nester's POOPIE post, I thought that your hutch was fabulous...only ONE thing missing...some FAUX IVY in the Birdcage!!! LOL!

I am running thru your "archives" and checking out your posts...I've been redoing a LOT of things in my house as a result of yours and several other BloggerHaunts that I have seen wonderful Ideas. Thanks for all your inspiration!