09 June 2008

Yet Another Furniture Rehab

Are you getting sick of my furniture posts yet?

I think my hubby is going to send me to "rehab" rehab. I just can't help myself! I love finding something old and making it pretty again.

A while back, I was inspired by someone's post about fancying up an old gossip bench. I wish I could remember who it was so that I could give them credit. If anyone remembers who it was, let me know.

Anyway, I found this old gosssip/telephone bench at an antique store and wanted to try something similar. I just loved how this old piece looked. It was really study and I love the detailing on the side.

I'm sure lots of people would say, "DON'T DO IT!" It really is pretty just the way it is but I wanted to do something totally different with it.

I like the idea of using an unexpected color so I went with a bright red, almost laquer finish. The fabric is the same fabric I used on the yellow stool here. I got some good mileage out of 1 yard of fabric!

Now I just need to find a place to put it!

42 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Angie's Spot said...

Another gorgeous piece! Keep these furniture posts coming! :-)

Marie said...

I will NEVER be sick of furniture posts. Especially furniture posts that you rehab! :o) (that rehab joke made me laugh, by the way!) That telephone bench looks great! I won't lie...I thought the 'before' picture WAS the after. But the after looks very, very good. So pretty! I saw a telephone bench at a yard sale this weekend and *almost* bought it. I may have if they had it priced but I didn't feel like asking. lol

Heathahlee said...

Do NOT stop posting about rehab-ing furniture! I will lose my inspiration! Why do you want to find a place to put it? Is where it is now not a practical place for it? That bench is TOO cute where it is!

Anonymous said...

I love the red! You brave girl. It makes it sassy...I just found a mirror and its really old with history . Problem is I think I want to paint it black? crazy I know... still not sure, Smiles, Susie H

Gretchen said...

LOVE IT!

Don't stop the furniture pictures! You inspire us al!

Question:
What paint (brand, type) do you recommend for furniture? I have some pieces that I want to tackle, but my last attempt left me defeated. The paint peeled and stuck to anything I put on the table.

Shannon said...

So cute! I think you found the perfect spot for it!

Kat said...

Beautiful, as usual!

Caren said...

Adorable! I just love it. Keep up the good work and I, like the rest, will never be sick of your rehabs.

Amanda Jo said...

You can put it in my house!

Please don't stop posting about your rehabing...I love it and I am always inspired by them!!!

GREAT job, by the way!

Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone else. Don't stop! That is one awsome make over. I bet even the bench feels sassy.

Blanca

Tiffany said...

Wow! I love the red! You're really great at giving furniture new life.

Gina said...

Have you considered going into business with this?!?! As much as you do it for FUN- you could really do it for PROFIT!!
Keep sharing- we love it.
It looks AWESOME!!
Give us a post showing step-by-step sometime. I've done a lot of reworking furniture myself, and I'd love to see how you go about it. It almost seems like you do it in a day!
Are you using spray paint?
You go girl!!!
Okay... back to my boring gray wall primer.... -sigh-

Amy Jo said...

Love it. You are very brave with color, and I love that fabric. Please do add in your steps. Do you take a lot of time sanding before painting? That's the part I loathe...

Anonymous said...

Beautiful...great find!
I love what you did with it!

Anonymous said...

If you tell me that only cost six bucks, I will scream! I see these all the time at my thrift store and wonder what I could do with them. Now I know and knowing is half the battle!! :)

-- Brandi

Nicole said...

You are amazing. I love it! I've always hated those bench looking things, and now I want one. Great job, you are so talented.

Sarah Mae said...

you are amazing! I love this - I want one! (You're giving me the "wanties!") Thanks for coming to my blog - I'm glad I know yours now - love it!

B. said...

Beautiful!!!!

Anonymous said...

I just came over here from SITS....I was looking ahead. ;) This looks awesome...great job! I used to like to do stuff like this...I don't really have the time now...but some day.....

JoAnne said...

Hi Kimba,

I can't speak for anyone, but I love your furniture rehabs- keep them coming. I found your blog a couple of days ago and love it. In fact, stop by my sunflower meadow blog and pick up something I have for you, JoAnne

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

You need that Amy Winehouse song playing in the background :-)

I am sooo uncreative. And I am a horrible painter. I spill, drip, spatter and then step in it. Uncreative and uncoordianted. It's a sad story. But you...love the bench. Love the black, white and red.

Unknown said...

very cool!

Chris said...

Are you doing these in your sleep or what??? You're a busy girl! I'll never tire of rehab posts. By all means, keep 'em coming! OH...almost forgot to say how much I love it/them. Every piece you've done is stunning.

Eva said...

Hi Kimba, My name is Eva and I am visiting your blog via JoAnne's Sunflower Meadows. I love the furniture makeovers that you have done. The colors and fabric combinations are gorgeous! Keep the furniture redo posts coming. Love them!
Eva

Mrs. B said...

Hi Kimba. That is so cute! I love the red paint with that fabric. Great job! I love seeing your furniture makeovers.

SheriYates said...

That is great! I don't have that gift AT all!!

Anna Maria Junus said...

I'm not a furniture refinisher but I admire people who are. I've got a coffee table that I'd love to paint, but I'm afraid. Not that I'd ruin the table, just that I'd make a huge stupid mess and have nothing worthwhile to show for it.

ugagirl30 said...

I love the red. Great color choice for this piece. I, too, love to rehab furniture!! Keep the pics coming!

John Deere Mom said...

I love the red. It's nice to see someone who isn't afraid of using bold colors!

Cristin said...

Stopping by from SITS.
I have one similar... had no idea it was called a gossip bench...I love the red.. All we did with ours is redo the cushion.

Unknown said...

OMG I love it...I want it...It actually looks like it's in my house (I have same floor, same wall color...same little nich behind the door...lol...You have inspired me, off to the garbage...er I mean, garage sales...

Debbie said...

Kimba that is gorgeous!

Unknown said...

I love it!!! And, it looks good where it is...

Marie Reed said...

I love it! Ruby red is perfect!

Danielle said...

I LOVE THIS!

I would totally buy this if you were selling it.

The colors are great!

Over from SITS!!

Suzanne's Blog, Jane's Blog said...

Came over from Sits, Love it. I want one.

The Nester said...

i heart this.

heart the fabric
heart the red
heart you!

Courtney said...

Kimba...LOVE IT!! you know I dig furniture makeovers...well, any makeovers really...so keep 'em comin'!!!

Deb said...

Great again! Deb

Megan O. said...

I totally have a telephone table that's really similar to that. I've been "thinking" about what to do with it (for like 5 years!) and I love what you did here.

Free Art Printables said...

Love it! Jen R

Kitty Scraps said...

To think of how many of those I've passed up in junk and antique shops...Amazing, you have a real talent and I'm so glad I've found your blog thru Nester!