06 June 2008

We're Suburban Hillbillies!!!

Oh yes! We're suburban hillbillies and we're proud!

So what do you do when it's 95 degrees out and you don't have a real pool and the closest community pool is 30 minutes away? You make do with what you have.

We get this guy out and give him a good scrub. Do you have one of these pools? They are the best! I finally got completely fed up with the blow-up pools that last exactly 47 minutes after you spend 3 weeks blowing them up and filling them with water. Then if by some chance they don't get a hole the very first time you use them, they blow away when you try and store them under the deck.

I bought this guy from a lady on Craigslist. Step 2 doesn't make it anymore and apparently there's a huge black market for them! Love it!

Anyway, then we convince Bubba (that's his hillbilly name) that cleaning is actually fun. Whooooweee, that boy needs a tan!


Then we fill 'er up and the fun begins. When I was a kid, my mom would fill up my kiddie pool with the hose but then add buckets of hot water so that it wasn't too cold. I can't decide if that's the sweetest thing or complete lunacy. Either way. Thanks Mom! My kids get ice cold water right from the hose.


Here's our spot in all of it's hillbilly-ness. Most people would do this in their backyard where no one could see. Not us! We're in the side yard in full view of everyone. That's the flattest spot we can find and it's got a couple of nice little shade trees for me to sit under.

So while the boys do some of this.


I have myself one of these.


And take pictures of myself. Gosh, I look like a bug in those huge sunglasses! Why didn't anyone tell me?


Maybe they look better with my hair down.


Nope. Still look like a bug. And you can see my double chin! That will teach me to be a slave to fashion.

Gotta keep this handy in case someone calls and wants to play with us.


Time for a snack! Nothing but healthy, organic snacks (OK. OK. They're fritos) for Rufus (also his hillbilly name).


We'll be back out there this afternoon. By then Daddy might be around to join in the fun. Then we'll drag out the plastic slide for some more rip-roarin' fun!


Note - No hillbillies were harmed in the writing of this post.

Keep reading below for a ridiculously simple project.

25 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Brian and Staci said...

Just popped over from The Nester's place! Wanted to see how you were roughin' it in this heat! Too cute. I'm tooooo embarrassed to even post a picture (mainly because I don't want to hurt my Mom's feelings). She bought TWO of those inflatable-boncy blow up thingies for my boys this Summer. One is a HUGE waterslide and the other is an obstacle course! Our yard TRULY looks like a carnival :) Good thing we live on 30 acres and nobody cares...except me :) I guess the main thing the boys are lovin' it all! And THAT makes me very happy!

Caren said...

Looks like big fun to me!

When we lived in the City and didn't have a yard, we used to put one of those pools right in the middle of our "street" which was really an historic Alley, if any cars happened to need to go down the Alley which was rare, we just pulled the pool to the side and let them pass. All the kids loved it and so did the moms because we could relax at the "swim club" too.

I don't know if there's such a thing as urban hillbillies but if so, that's what we were!

Now we just go to the Y! ha ha!

Heather said...

THIS is hysterical! I love the way you write! We have a pool here at our apartment complex but there is no way I am getting in a suit at 6 months preggers, carting two kids in floaties down there to spend time with 100 of my closest neighbors! Oh how I long for a "hillbilly" pool like you have here!
Your plates look so good! What a fun idea!
Oh and the post before with the verse from Philippians...... I felt like I was being spoken to. I have had a lost of stress lately and when I read that today I got chills! Thank You for that!
You are in my continued prayers for the sale of your house!
Have a great weekend!!
-Heather :)

Gina said...

What fun!!! I don't think that's hillbilly- I think that's SMART! Hillbilly would be if yer kids were NEKED and that thar were a wARSHtub.

The plates look really cool! How creative!!

The glasses are VERY Jackie O, you know!!

Debra from Bungalow said...

What a cute post...good old fashioned family fun! I'm sure your kids will remember these times when they are grown, Fritos & all. Now why aren't you in that pool too?
Hugs, DebraK

The Farmer Files said...

I grew up with a real pool in my backyard. I always wanted to be like everyone else and have these kind of pools. :) Sadly, I never have been in one.

Heathahlee said...

My lone kiddo was even more hick than yours were today. He got out in the front yard (even though we do live in a cove, we still do have some traffic!) and I just let him play with the water hose/sprinkler/sprayer. I let him do whatever he wanted to do, even if now I have a huge mudslide in my yard. We have a huge oak tree in our front yard, so grass doesn't grow anyway, so what did I care if he messed up some weeds? He had a blast, too. At one point he came up to the window and said he had found a mole's tongue. He was totally grossed out until he realized it was just a rock. Sometimes I forget that he is still just a little boy who needs to get really dirty once in a while. I'm glad I let him do that today!

Deb said...

Kimba, that was so much fun! Deb

Scary Mommy said...

We are so WT with our pool during the summer. It's bright purple and so trashy, but the kids love it. That's all that matters!

Love the glasses, btw :)

Mom Moss said...

Brings back lots of memories of the girls in a pool that looked like yours. Remember these days -- they go by sooooo fast.

Kat said...

You're too funny :) Oh, and the sunglasses are quite Jackie O. You may be a "hillbilly", but you're a fashionable one!

I'm in the south, so I'm not a hillbilly, but a redneck!

Free Art Printables said...

I love your phone holder!So creative! We do the same thing with our pool. A little bleahc and it's as good as new! Jen R

Marie said...

I love the glasses! :o) Please don't make me go there about double chins... when you have 4 like me, then we'll talk. ha ha

You aren't TRULY a hillbilly until you have an aluminum porch. Trust me.

CUTE kids! 95* where you are? Yikes!

Candid Carrie said...

Hi - Stopped in from SITS blog roll. Great post, my mom used to lug hot water for us to and I really think that has got to be a thing of the past. I remember it was STEAMING hot water, too.

The picture of the phone in the tree was really funny, we have the same phone! The exact same phone! You pick yours up and I'll pick mine up at the same time and maybe we will be connected ;)

Angie's Spot said...

Oh, I'm so jealous of that pool! I'm feverishly combing stores currently to find something similar for our new back deck, so my girls can enjoy these miserable summer days here. Looks like your guys had a ball! And I love the glasses. Very chic. :-)

Nicole said...

That looks so fun. It's been to cold here in Utah to even think about swimming. I think your pool is awesome, it looks nice and sturdy. I know a couple people who actually own horse troths (I think thats what there called) and use that as their pool. One family I know even has a heater for it. Kinda weird, but whatever keeps you cool when it's hot right.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

We have a hot tub on our deck...so we just turned the hot water off and told the kids it was a wading pool. It works :-) And being here in suburbville...we have watering restrictions with our drought...so no filling up wading pools for us.

Megan @ Megity's Handmade said...

I found this post funny!! We must be hillbillies too since my kids are constantly in the pool all summer long and the nearest pool is less then 10 mins away. Hah! I like your pool!! It would be great for us. Huge black market huh? Well, now I know what to look for, I might score it at a yard sale. Maybe. Anyday it should be warm again. It's been crazy weather with mostly 60's last week. So strange!

kari and kijsa said...

Were you at our house? Same time, same pool, same convincing the kids cleaning the pool was part of the fun! Missed the lemonade though!! LOL!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Sarahviz said...

Hi. Found you through the SITS girls. We have the same problem. Our backyard is a SLOPE. So we do all our outdoor activities in the FRONT YARD. Clah-see. Yep. That's us.

Missy said...

That is hilarious!!! Looks like a blast though! Some other hillbilly names that I can suggest:
Dewayne, Ricky-Lee, Willie-Jo. I'm kind of an authority, living in KY and all... Those are names of real people I know, too, no kidding!

Danielle said...

Those are the cutest hillbillies I've seen!

And I love the glasses. "Bug" is "in"...

Amanda Jo said...

You're going to laugh but one of my best friends (and almost boyfriend) from high school was named JimBob.

Also, I grew up in the foothills of the Ozarks and I KNOW what hillbilly is. We used to use our BIG propane tank as a water slide!!

Timalee said...

I can't believe that your mom poured in hot water, I thought I was the only person that did that!!

Rue said...

Hi Kimba :)

You are so funny!! I love those glasses on you! That's not hillbilly... Hillbilly is when you use Glad trash bags to make a slip-n-slide LOL

My mom used to put hot water in there too ;)

hugs,
rue