20 June 2008

A Day Late

Those sweet and talented sisters, Kari and Kisja, hosted Mantel 101 yesterday. I'm getting on board a little late but I wanted to show you these pictures that I took of a dear friend's mantel.


I'm always fiddling with my own fireplace mantel. I'm never completely satisfied with it and I think it's because I try to do too much.




Here is a beautiful example of a very simple mantel display. I love how it is asymetrical. I never would have thought to place the main focal point - the mirror - off to one side.



It works because it's so simple and light. I think the thing that I love the most is that those candles have been burned. The candles on my own mantel are so rarely lit. I think it's time to change that.

Go over to see Kari and Kisja for some beautiful mantel displays.

25 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Sarah Mae said...

I would have never thought of doing that either, although, that's really not a suprise seeing as I'm decorator challenged!

Angie's Spot said...

That's a very beautiful mantle set up. I have to live vicariously through others mantles since I don't have one of my own. Hopefully I can change that with our next house!

Debbie said...

That is really lovely! I keep my mantel asymmetrical as well with a large square picture that is the focal point and two large thick candlesticks of varying heights off to the right. I did it just because it worked and was pleasing to the eye. I also have a small vase that sits in front of the picture that actually looks like it's part of the picture....kinda weird. But it all works. Great post!

Chris said...

There is real beauty in the simplicity of that mantel. Every element is just right!

Thanks for sharing it.

Chris

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

It's surprising to see that mirror off-center, isn't it? I think we're so used to seeing mantels arranged in a certain, symmetrical way. Interesting! -Julia

kari and kijsa said...

Love this arrangement- beautiful. Very simple, yet elegant and effortless! This is a great inspiration for anyone looking for a beautiful display!! Thanks so much for joining in today! This is beautiful!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Nicole said...

I was a day late too, glad I'm not the only one. Thanks for your sweet comments, I always enjoy hearing from you. The mantle is beautiful. I'm not good at thinking outside the box, mine is pretty symetrical, but I love the look of that one.

Tiffany said...

I love asymmetry when it's done well, like this mantle. This picture is lovely!

Anonymous said...

Better late than never I always say.. How neat! I would have never thought to place the mirror to one side. I love that idea... It's funny you asked about kaylee's 4-H. It was veggies too. Tomatoes! Yes... they do get pretty gross after weeks and weeks of practice. We did buy new though, smile. I hope you have a great weekend. Take care, Susie H~

Deb said...

I agree about the candles we always tend to use them only as accessories. Deb

Amy Jo said...

Thanks for sharing your friend's mantle. I move stuff around all the time on my mantle but still not completely happy with it. But I liked seeing that scroll thing she has below the mantle shelf. I've been thinking about adding that to mine, but wasn't sure how it would look. Now I've got a photo to show my husband!

Finding Normal said...

Thank you for posting this! I meant to subscribe to K and K, but I forgot. I just did my mantle yesterday. The blogosphere is making me all crafty and decorative!
I love your friend's mantle, but now I'm worrying that I'll obsess over mine and never be happy with it. I already feel like it's missing something, but I have a tendency to overclutter (as seen in my before picture!) so I'm trying to keep it simple!
Come tell me what you think, please!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment yes they are shutters they came off my parents house years ago~I have been using them as a screen for years and thought I would try something different. Love the mantle by the way!

Heather said...

I love how simple and clean it is.

Heathahlee said...

A few months ago I was just sick of all the stuff that I had shoved on my mantle, and took everything off of it. Then at Christmas I put six or so frosted votive candle holders across it and it looked soooo pretty when I lit the little votives. I decided then and there I didn't want a cluttered mantle anymore. I've gradually put a few more pieces on it, but I don't want it to get as cluttered as it once was.

Trixi said...

It is very pretty. I think I may be leaning towards the minimalist side. I really like the mirror to the side.
Blessings,
Trixi

Kat said...

Do you think the deer hanging over my mantel could make it for Mantel 101? I just can't believe you wouldn't want to put up pictures of that for this mantel display post! ;)

One of these days, I'm really going to have to get rid of that thing. Ah, what I do for the love of The Bob.

Anonymous said...

Does this mantel belong to the house across the street from you? =^) So pretty!!

I will write soon!!

Hugs!

Celestina Marie said...

So nice to meet you at my blog today. Thank you for your kind comments. This is a wonderful mantel pic that you have shared. I just love the clean lines and elegant look of it and especially the off set mirror. I also love seeing candles burned down a bit. The candles I used on the mantel I shared, were the new type that are scented and flicker like real from within. They are really pretty at night.
Hope to see you again. Your blog is lovely and I have enjoyed my visit.
celestina,
la rea rose

Finding Normal said...

Thanks for the mantle thoughts! Question--what color urn/vase/something? I'm concerned if I do more black, it'll be overwhelmingly black. The slipcover is chocolate, but there's really nothing else of color in there to pick up, unless you count tons of toys! I almost thought a dark red, then put similar colored candles on the sticks. But I don't know!

Kristen said...

Light a mantle candle? I'm afraid too...it's never been done here at my house before!

Love the off center mirror - it works here. I'm such a symetrical girl that sort of thing is hard for me to do.

Jill said...

Hi Kimba...I am tagging you for a Meme! Participate if you wish! Stop on over for more info.
~Jill

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Thanks for the visit... hasn't it been fun to see everyone's mantels? And their friend's mantels! You should show us pics of your mantle too... We are usually are own worst critics! I am sure it looks great!
Karrie & Karla

Tangee said...

It's very nice, I love it.

Rue said...

Hi Kimba :)

Your friend's mantle is beautiful. I have a hard time making mine asymetrical as well.

I hope you're having a wonderful Sunday...
hugs,
rue