23 June 2008

Furniture Rehab - Piano Bench

It seems that I just can't resist a piece of bedraggled furniture because here's another makeover. This piece started out as what I think was old piano bench with a faux leather seat.

I've been wanting some sort of bench to put at the foot of our bed for a while. When I saw this guy in the thrift store for $6, I thought I could make him work since he was sturdy and the right size.


Photography tip: When positioning the object that you're going to photograph, make sure there aren't bird droppings in the shot.

I removed the seat, covered it with some batting and new fabric. The batting added a little bit of cush to top. All of that was done with my staple gun. Then I painted the frame a cream color and added a little fringe. Voila!

Now if you are a real decorator or furniture restorer, please look away. You won't be able to bear it. I attached that fringe with a hot glue gun. Yep...I used hot glue on $40/yard silk. But fear not, I didn't spend anywhere near that for the fabric.

The whole project probably took about 1.5 hours not including drying time for the paint.

And since I'm using it in my bedroom, here's a picture in his new habitat.

I'm working on some tutorials to give more detail on the rehab process for furniture like this. I swear it really is simple.

38 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Sarah Mae said...

That is beautiful! Please come to my house and help me...please please please!!! Did you see the picture of my bedroom "sanctuary?" Ug! I need help!

Unknown said...

it is very pretty!

Angie's Spot said...

Another gorgeous project! That's the kind of piano bench I would like to have for my fully restored piano. Of course, I had to pay someone to restore that piano, so I'm sure I'll end up paying someone to work some bench magic too. :-)

Anonymous said...

Of course it's beautiful!!! I love the fabric that you used. I adore brown and that soft blue...love it! I wanted to show yall some neat pictures of my daughters room for today.. Not.. I couldnt get in the door it was that messy. Maybe tommorow. Susie H

Nicole said...

That is gorgeous, I love it. When I saw the first picture, I really did not think you could make it look good. And wow, you definitely did. Now I want to try and make our piano bench look pretty, but then the whole piano would need a makeover. I love the fringe too, you did an incredible job.

Anonymous said...

Great job! I love your makeovers. I just bought an old, banged-up coffee table I'm hoping to be able to rehab. Wish me luck! :)

Anonymous said...

Another fabulous make over. Great job!

Blanca

Anonymous said...

You know I think it is the same fringe...I cant wait till you see my new post.. yes two in one day! I played with some curtains from walmart. susie H~

Amanda Jo said...

That bench goes perfectly in your beautiful bedroom! Great job!

Debbie said...

Kimba it is gorgeous! You are really really inspiring me to go through my house and rehab anything I don't like. Keep it comin sister!

Gina said...

Beautiful!! I love benches. I have a neat old one at the foot of my bed that I painted white. I plan to- ONE DAY!!- make a long cushion for it. It's a great place to catch extra pillows and blankets.
Good for you!!!

Shannon said...

As always, looks great!

Heathahlee said...

That is absolutely gorgeous! LOVE the fabric and fringe. But then, when have I not loved anything you've done?

Anonymous said...

I love your goodwill store. You find the most awesome things. Do you have a strategy? Do you have to go early in the morning? Is it luck of the draw? Or do those around you not realize the potential of a great piece like that?

You rock, my friend!! -- Brandi

Tam said...

GREAT GREAT GREAT REHAB work!

scargosun said...

It is beautiful!! Everything you make is so wonderful. I still need to get those pics to you for help with my desk but I WILL do it!

Kat said...

Oh. My. Word. These just keep getting better and better. Love it, love it, oh, I so love it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimba...I just love your rehab projects....

Liz Harrell said...

Thanks for the sweet comment Kim! I'm adding you as well.

And wow, again. You are the furniture makeover queen! I need your help with patio furniture!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

You know, that bench would be so lovely in *my* bedroom. Right colors and everything. I have no vision...

Heather said...

I am drolling! Honestly- beautiful! And a hot glue gun? Oh I would have never...... thought about that! So much easier than other ways!I love all of your rehabs- you are super talented and have an excellent eye my dear!!
-Heather :)

Jo said...

Beautiful! I still can't decide whether I want to put fringe on my piano bench, but I think I might have to give it a try, after seeing yours! I would hot-glue it too ;-)

Unknown said...

The bench looks great perfect for the end of your bed!

Jessica said...

I love it! You did a great job- you are quite talented.

Free Art Printables said...

Love the bench! It is sooooo fab! And i really love the fabric! great choice!! I did a tutorial about a month ago with beaded trim on a table and I sooooo used hot glue too ;) I say go for it!!! Jen R

Deb said...

Kimba, your are down right amazing! The bench is so beautiful your choice of color for the bench and fabric are simply marvelous. You should have your own shop.Deb

Kelly said...

Love the fabric choice.
Looking foward in more of your rehabs!
Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

That is one awesome rehab...it takes a special eye to see the beauty and make it happen...I love it!

-Bridget said...

You do such a great job with your furniture makeovers. And you have such a great eye for the potential in things.

Courtney said...

that fringe is my favorite part! great job Kimba!

Tiffany said...

LOVE IT! And, love you fancy shmancy new design! Kimba rocks!!!!

Sarah Mae said...

Oh Kimba, your new template is beautiful! I would like to update mine someday... :)

Love it!

Kitty Scraps said...

Wowser! Your bench is gorgeous and I love love love the silk fabric! Great color combination as well... I love your furniture makeovers, keep 'em coming, lol

Christina said...

Oh, I just LOVE it!!

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Another great project! I am gaining so many good ideas and inspiration from you! Your blog layout looks great! So calm and pretty! Hugs, Rhonda ;)

(P.S. I hot glue and velcro EVERYTHING!!! LOL! )

angela | the painted house said...

I bet bedraggled furniture gets all giddy when it sees you approaching! The bench look so ooh-la-la!

Kristen said...

Gorgeous! What a great re-do! Love the brown silk fabric too - so pretty!

How come I can never find little $6 benches like that?

Marie said...

Oh, I loooooove it!!! Beautiful fabric!