30 May 2008

Somebody Else's House

I don't have anything of my own to show you today. I'm grumpy. The kids are grumpy. I'm pretty sure the house is grumpy. And I have hours and hours of work to do to get ready for yet ANOTHER open house this weekend. So of course, I'm blogging instead of cleaning. Avoidance anyone?

Really though...What is the point of yet another open house? I'm pretty sure that everyone in a 50 mile radius has now seen the inside of my house. Nobody likes me. Everybody hates me. I think I'll go eat worms. Well, maybe I'll eat Rollos.

Anyway, I do have pictures of someone else's house to show you. It's a model home that belongs to the company that's building our new house. This model home was decorated by a fancy schmancy designer with diplomas and certificates and everything. I just love walking around this beautiful home even though it makes me feel like my home is being decorated by some hillbilly. Oh wait...it is. Me. :-0 Please forgive the picture quality. I was trying to be discreet so that the realtor lady didn't think I was a nut. Taking pictures of the walls and all. Here we go...

First, here's the wall above the fireplace. She just used pieces of trim to create those rectangles and painted the inside with a darker color than the wall.



Here's the dining room walls. It looks like fancy, expensive wainscoting but it's really just a chair rail with squares of trim. Home Depot sells pre-made squares of trim that you can just attach to the wall. No cutting needed!



Here's the vaulted ceiling in the master bedroom. Same thing...



And the wall in the formal living room. I'm not a big fan of mirrors on the wall but it works in here.



And over the doorway in the living room.



And this is my favorite one...The wall above the bed in the guest bedroom. She got all fancy here and used two types of trim. I am so doing this above the bed in my guest bedroom. I think it will look great especially since I don't have a headboard.



Here's a close-up.



I think this is a great way to get a custom look on your walls without spending a ton of time or money. And I'm all about that!

Now, if you've read this far and looked at all these pictures, you must like me. Or at least my blog. ;-) I know that some of you are praying women and I could use some prayer today. Our family is growing weary of this selling/building process. More so the selling part. We just need strength to keep moving forward and the wisdom to discern God's will in this whole situation. Thanks!

20 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Amanda Jo said...

Ooooh...those are SMART ideas!!

I'll say a prayer for you and your family! I hope your day gets better and that the housework would be painless!

Kat said...

Oh my. Everytime I come to your blog or The Nester, I feel like we live in a house that is half finished. I need to decorate this thing! I can't believe I even posted pictures of it. What was I thinking? Okay. I'm sounding ungrateful. I do like it. I'd just like it more if I knew how to decorate.

And don't those fancy shmancy decorators just get you. My husband is a self employed contractor, and one of the guys, who works for him/us, has a wife that is one of those very same fancy schmancy decorators. I had to go by their house a few months ago for something. Oh. My. Word. Their house was sooooooooo niiiiiice. Heathahlee was with me, she can testify :)

Tiffany said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog!

I love all those little details with the trim on the model house.

Good luck with your open house!
Tiff

emily freeman said...

Hi Kim -
I hear you on the weariness of showing your home. I agree that houses get grumpy, too. I hope your day starts to look up. Oh, forget that. I hope someone BUYS YOUR HOUSE! It looks as though you have a lot of fun nesting and decorating to look forward to. I love all those molding ideas in that model house. I'm so gonna have to do that.

Thanks for stopping over to chat at the sky...sorry monster mommy made her way to your house. Don't forget to eat a truffle. She has a hard time sticking around while eating a truffle.

Anonymous said...

The whole selling and buying can be so overwhelming but with a little prayer all things are possible.

Have a great weekend.

Blanca

Heathahlee said...

Kim, I saw your award on Mrs. B's...I said a little "Yea!" for you. :)

I will pray that you have enough stamina to make it through selling your house. Just go to sleep at night thinking about how in a few months this will be but a happy (or use your own adjective!) memory...

Heather said...

I didn't know they sold those squares at Home Depot!!! I must have some.

Jill said...

I found your site through Rue's. I had to chuckle about your photography in the model home. My husband and I are also in the process of building and we also snuck our camera in and took pictures of goodies and ideas! Hope they didn't have hidden cameras, ha ha....I am also a big Goodwill Girl and love to create. Good luck on the open house, your house is beautiful!

Debbie said...

Hi Kimba. Here's the deal with the waiting part. There is a buyer that the Lord has out there for you. He is just not ready to reveal that to you for whatever reason, perhaps those people aren't ready yet. But like everything, it will happen in HIS time, HIS way. Give it all back to HIM. Don't take up the burden yourself. Because just as I am sure he made the provision for you to build your new home, HE will make the provision to sell your current home. Pray, wait and watch for that blessing to unfold. I think you know all that, but sometimes it helps to hear it again;)

Mrs. B said...

Hi Kimba! You're very welcome for the award. I'm glad it came on a day when you could use it! The selling process is so hard! Especially with young kids because you feel like you can't just live your normal life. I'll pray for you.

I love model homes! We don't have many new developments around here, but we've been known to go tour the model homes when we got out of town just for fun. I take pictures too. I really love all the trim and wainscotting (even if it is faux) they used in that one!

Hope your next open house goes well and that you can relax when it's done!

Jill said...

Hi Kim,
We currently live in base housing, so we didn't have a house to sell. But...before moving here, we had purchased a home and in the end we closed the day before we moved out of state. THAT was stressful and the base before that we had upgraded from owning a two bedroom to buying a three bedroom and then got orders...we had TWO houses to sell...and me a stay-at-home mom! So I completely understand this whole house stress ordeal! It will all fall into place...I truly believe God has a plan, it just being on his timeline! Best wishes let's keep in touch!

kari and kijsa said...

That is a beautiful house! Love all the molding and trimwork!

Have a blessed weekend!

smiles, kari & kijsa

twinkle twinkle baby, twinkle twinkle said...

Im with you on the open house thing! Im going through it right now. I feel like my house has to look perfect all the time.

Marie said...

I love that house! Great ideas, for sure.

I dread the day when we have to deal with Open Houses... I still have a few years and I'm already nervous!

Jennifer said...

Ooo - I like those ideas.

I hope your home's new family finds you soon...

Liz Harrell said...

Whoa. Pre-made wainscotting? My head is spinning.

Amy Jo said...

Wow.... That molding is awesome! I could do that! Could I...? Dunno, but I'm going to start thinking about it. I've been looking for something over my fireplace, and that might be just the thing.

I have to tell you something really random: everytime I see your picture on comments that you leave for other bloggers I SMILE! You have such a sweet and friendly face. I always think, "hey! I know her!"... and then I remember that I just know you from bloggy world.

Rue said...

I really like those ideas and I like you even more :) Who wouldn't?

I will say a prayer for you sweetie. I know what you're going through.

hugs,
rue

ugagirl30 said...

I finally have pics to show my husband!!! Woooohooo! I wonder if he'll let me do it?

Kurtis and Melissa said...

We are on the other end of real estate and I understand how weary it is. We'll certainly pray for you and your crew!

I hope we get the house we have an offer in on, I want to put molding on everything! (I wont though so dont worry)