29 May 2008

I Found a Treasure!!!

Update on my trip to Goodwill at the bottom:

And I didn't even know it! This wasn't what I planned to post about today, but I'm so excited that I just had to share.

I was going to write about a little project that I was doing using plates. In order to do this project, I needed a few plain, preferably white, plates.

So off to Goodwill I went. I found some simple, white plates for 25 cents each and snapped them up. They've been sitting in a box in my garage for a couple of weeks. Here's a picture of one...


Yeah, that's Darth Vader in the background. Hey Darth.

Anyway, I brought them out of the garage to do my little project that involves paint, a glue gun and some decorative wood pieces. Just as I was about to attack the plate with the glue gun, I happened to turn it over. And this is what I saw...



If you can't read the writing, it says, "Sterling Colonial English Ironstone - J&G Meakin England."

I scored me some Ironstone and I didn't even know it! 25 cents each!

Now, I know this isn't the valuable antique ironware. A couple of Google searches (Oh, how I love Google) showed me that these were probably made in the 1970's and the plates usually sell for between $10 and $15 each.

Still! I'm so excited! You know where I'm going to be as soon as Goodwill opens this morning. There were probably 8-10 of these plates when I bought my four. What are the chances that they're still there after a 1-1/2 weeks? I'll let you know!

And while I'm there I'll try to find some other plates that I can fancy up for my little project.

UPDATE:

Well, I showed up at Goodwill first thing this morning. I was pretending to be all non-chalant but I was really on the hunt. I was ready to grab the rest of that ironware for 25 cents a plate!!! No luck! Someone else apparently saw it's value and scooped it up. Oh well, at least I have 4!

I did find these little gems...

An organizer/chalkboard thingy for the kitchen wall. What color should I paint it?


This little stool that I'll repaint for my boys and this little bud vase. I collect milk glass (meaning I have, like, 6 pieces of it) and I liked the shape of it and it says Hoosier Glass on the bottom. Off to Google I go!

19 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Marie said...

As soon as I saw the picture of that plate I said (out LOUD) "TWENTY FIVE CENTS FOR THAT PLATE??" I am very jealous. That is a serious score! I hope you find the rest of them waiting for you today!

Amanda Jo said...

GREAT FIND! I never find awesome deals like that but I may swing by there today before I pick up little-bit from daycare.

The goodwill by my house is REALLY expensive - for goodwill at least. They are charging FIVE DOLLARS for an old tarnished silver bowl (which I happen to love)...misc. plates will run you about $1-$3 each.

Debbie said...

WOW!!! 25cents!!! And a treasure at that. Don't look too excited when you go to goodwill so that others around you don't realize the hidden treasure you found...Just non chalantly scarf up every stinkin one of those plates!

aimee said...

I love it when that happens!!! Great score.

Anonymous said...

It's happened to me too. The plates are beautiful and a steal for 25 cents. Hope you find the rest.

Blanca

Kim said...

Great find! Keep us posted if the others are still there.

The Farmer Files said...

Congrats on your find!

I am a garage sale silver junkie. I love it when I find tarnished silver and someone sells you a piece for $2 or $3. And you know when it is polished it looks just like the brand new trays at MAcy's!

Joy said...

I love white ironstone! I don't think that I've ever been lucky enough to pay only 25 cents a plate though. I hope your luck holds out and you can find the others.

Debbie said...

Bummer! Maybe they read your blog and knew you were on a mission to snatch those plates ;)

Gretchen said...

Great finds!

I think the organizer would look great in a bright green, muted sage green, or hot pink (my girls would love it in that color!)

Heathahlee said...

I am so inspired to head to Goodwill tomorrow! I've missed you! Been out of town for the past two days with no 'puter access! ACK!

emily freeman said...

I love that you walked in trying to be all nonchalant. That is so hilarious...Congrats on the treasure!

Mrs. B said...

Hi Kimba! What fabulous finds! I love that little organizer thing. So cute!

I have a little award for you over at my blog!

Courtney said...

awesome score, kimba! I so would have gone back to Goodwill too...bummer they were gone. But getting four of them was great!

Shannon said...

I think these are the EXACT same plates I just bought!!! Although mine were $3.00 each so I only bought 2. Great find!

Finding Normal said...

Great finds! I never have luck at Goodwill. Plus ours really smells like someone's nasty basement.
I love that little organizer!
What did you find out about Hoosier Glass? (I live in IN!)

Gina said...

I LOVE that you are all into the Goodwill!! That is my FAVORITE store!!! hahaha!!! Especially on 50% off day!!!
I work at an antique store and I love 2nd hand.
I am enjoying your blog!
CONGRATS on the Meakin find!! COOL!!
come visit me if you get a chance!
:-D

Heather said...

I LOVE shopping at the Goodwill! The one near where we are now isn't always the best but we still get lucky every now and again. Congrats on your treasures! Oh my!
-Heather :)

ugagirl30 said...

Google and Goodwill. Two American treasures!! I'm jealous of those plates cuz they are gorgeous!