22 September 2009

Fall Wreath

It was time for a little fall fluffing, so I decided to foof up my front door with a new wreath. And by "new", I mean I used a bunch of junk that I already had to make something that will get torn apart later in the year. Perhaps "temporary" would be a better word.

This wreath began it's life as 2 wreaths...a smaller, rather wimpy wreath that is full of walnuts and acorns. Nuts are fall-like, right? I got it on super-duper clearance last year and tucked it away. The other wreath is your standard grapevine wreath.

I wired the two together to give it more size and oomph. And by "wired", I mean I grabbed some twist-ties out of the junk drawer because I couldn't be bothered to search for my floral wire. I can never find that stuff when I need it. I'll find it the next time I'm making an omelet.

For extra fluff, I added in a ton of fake statis that I was lucky enough to score from a local store when it was closing it's floral department a couple of years ago. I've used this stuff all over...my spring wreath and my Christmas garland to name two. It's so useful as a fluffy filler.

Then a bunch of fake greenery that I love. I have no idea what it's supposed to be but it has a bit of brown in the leaves so it looks real-ish. I like it for fall.

And some orange-y, yellow berry-things.

The whole thing is hung up using Nester's brilliant wreath hanging technique. I love this idea! No more fooling with wreath hangers.

I cannot tell a lie (Well, I can. But I won't). I want to love this wreath. But I don't. And I can't figure out why.

It's big and fluffy. I like big and fluffy. It's got lots of fake, natural stuff in it. I like fake, natural stuff. It's got muted colors. I like muted colors. Especially for fall. Does it look like a Muppet?

What do you think? If you all love it, I'll leave it alone. But maybe someone will have an idea. Does it need a focal point? More color? Less stuff? More stuff? Maybe it will grow on me. Maybe it will fall off the door, scurry into my house and sing the Mahna Mahna Song to me.


This post just added to Get Your Craft on at Today's Creative Blog.


118 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Runner Mom said...

I think it's beautiful! Perfect! Nothing else needed! If you decide it's not for you, send it down my way, and I'll happily hang it on my door!!
Hugs!
Susan

Erin@ Give Mom a Minute said...

Ooooh Kimba, it is beeeeeuatiful! It makes me sad that you aren't loving it. I love it so much you're making me want to try to make my own!

-Erin

A Home in Progress said...

It does NOT look like a muppet! That's hilarious. It's looks fantastic! Maybe let it sit for a couple days and then see how you feel about it. It's inspired me to get moving on a fall wreath for my front door!

Deidre said...

Love the wreath and loved the song! The kids smiled and laughed watching the MahnaMahna song (so did I). Thanks for making our day.

Unknown said...

What do I think? Beautimous!

Anonymous said...

Kimba, it's a great wreath! I love it.

If you want to add a little something, find a litte bird or rabbit or squirrel to hide away in there. Something fun, a little surprise for your guests as they enter.

Anonymous said...

WOW!! That's amazing! I also now know that I'll be painting my front door soon. I love the dark glossy finish on yours.

Unknown said...

The reason you're not crazy about it is because it's not on my door--where it should be! Seriously, it's gorgeous and makes me want to make one of my own!

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

I think you've done a wonderful job! I like how you paired the two wreaths together for more body, alone the guy would have been wimpy! I love the ribbon and your choice of color. I think it'll grow on you!

Stephanie said...

I think it looks fantastic. I wish I had "thingies" laying around my house. I've got zilch & fall wreaths are so pricey this year.

By the way, thank you so very much, I will now be singing mahna, mahna all day in my head! LOL

Lettered Cottage said...

Looks fantastic!
So does your perfectly painted black door. Are you worried about the wreath scratching it? I would have to line the back of the wreath with felt or something.
Yes, if you couldn't already tell- I am completely obsessed, borderline psychotic about these types of things. :-)

Love you woman!
Layla

Wendy said...

I think it's perfect! Have another couple of wreaths lying around that you could "fluff up" for me?

Val, Brax and Harper said...

i love it! i actually thought the first pic you posted was of an expensive one you saw in a store and wanted to copy!!!! but it's the one you made!

Teresa McNamara said...

I think it is just fine. Don't change anything and your special wreath hanging technique is great too!

Nancy said...

Shut the door.... it is awesome. I have a wreath too with some jazzy fall colors but yours is FAB! Keep it up, girl!

CourtneyKeb said...

It's perfect! I like how it looks dainty and bold at the same time. Definitely a winner!

Reid said...

I like it....although, I might would add some feathers to it (b/c I adore them). Great job! And love the ribbon idea

Lacey said...

I think it's beautiful! It may just be my next creation! :-) I'm going to add you to my list of blogs if that's ok! http://www.mominthepink.blogspot.com/

Thanks for sharing!

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

I think it's beau-ti-mus, and I'm not a "wreath person".

That being said, what if instead of the orange ribbon you did something with a big polka dot? Brown with cream? It might make it a little less serious. Or maybe it's just me who doesn't like things lookin' too formal....otherwise, YUM.

Marci @OvercomingBusy said...

That is a great wreath! I love the way you just put things together and it turns out fabulous!

shaka said...

That's sooo pretty!

Jill said...

Beautiful! Just beautiful! I love it!

shaka said...

That's sooo pretty!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Kimba, it's gorg, seriously. Love it! It's awesomely fluffy!

duchess said...

It looks beautiful as is but I think everything looks better monogrammed. Stick an initial on it somewhere & see what you think.

Pam said...

I think it GORG! You crack me up, though; a muppet? I'm practically peeing my pants right now. I don't know what's not to love about it. If you just can't fall for it - my address is....

Karen said...

oh I love it, wish I had some fall stuff to give mine some oomph.

Christina said...

I absolutely love it.

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

I love it!!!!! It's beautiful just as-is. I know what you mean though, a lot of times when I do something, I don't know if I like-like it. It looks great though!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

What's not to like?? I think it looks great. I bet you'll grow to love it too.

Susan said...

I think it's beautiful. Thanks for the inspiration. Was considering buying a new wreath this year but I think I will just tweek the one I already have!

DeeDee said...

it is lovely..and I thanks I have been waiting all summer for fall to come....Yepie so glad it is near.

Taylor said...

Wow! That s impressive. I love it!

stephanie h said...

I love it! I just put my fall wreath up too.

Dakermom said...

I love it! It's beautiful and very Fall-ish! Now I want to make one, but I'm not sure what would be best to glue it together. Maybe I'll go consult someone at a craft store. Michael's always has little pieces like that on sale! Fun!!

Mallory said...

You are crazy! I think its beautiful!

Brandy said...

I love it too, but maybe if you're unsure it's because it's so perfectly symmetrical? Maybe try a focal point or something that can go in the middle to make it a little less "perfect"

Shannon Rodriguez said...

See...not one negative comment. It really is gorgeous! I'm a little jealous.

Mandi Shandi said...

Love IT! Leave it alone and move on to another fabulous project that will inspire us all AGAIN! The wreath really is gorgeous!

Trac~ said...

I think it is GORGEOUS and if you don't want it - I'll gladly take it off your hands! :o) Seriously, GREAT JOB an thanks for the ribbon door hanger idea - I think I am going to start using that instead! :o)

The Weathered Cottage said...

ha you crack me up. I LOVE it! If you do not, you can send it my way :)

Summer said...

I love the way this looks! Thanks for the idea!

bj said...

Are you kiddin' me?....this is beautiful !!
I used your room on my Monday Met. Day....several said they wanted to do the same to their rooms...:)

Jenni said...

no no noooo...I LOVE IT! It's perfect! Not sure why you don't like it...but you certainly are cracking me up!

Jen said...

Oooola la. Look pretty on your door!

Oona Johnson said...

I love it! It's perfect just the way it is... You should waft some of your extra talent my way.

Richella Parham said...

It does not look like a Muppet. Although if the Muppets needed a fall wreath, I'm sure they'd happily take yours, because it is be-au-ti-ful.

I love, love, love your description of making this wreath. If you ever find yourself short of twist ties, come look in my kitchen drawer. Great minds think alike. :)

Shilo said...

I thought it was lovely! But it's your wreath...you're the one that's got to love it! :)

April Pantall said...

I think it looks perfect as is - great for fall! Where do you get your supplies?

Meredith said...

Beautiful! Unfortunately, here it's still over 100 degrees, so it doesn't feel very fall yet, and I haven't gotten into the fall spirit!

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

I think that you are not 100% in love with it just because, although a gorgeous wreath!, it's a little too predictable...But give it a couple of days, you might change your opinion!

Anonymous said...

I do like it. It's very fall-y. From what it was to what it is is a huge difference. I think it looks great. Of course, you could always work on something else just to have as a backup should you really decide this one is not for you. I'm sure it would be equally fantabulous!!

Joanna said...

I just love it! I think it looks fantastic.

Laryssa Herbert said...

I think it looks really pretty! When I'm making floral arrangements, about half way through I want to just throw the whole thing away. If I can just hang in there, everything turns out fine. Sometimes we are our own worst critic. :-)

Tote, Debby, Sammy and Caleb Jimenez said...

i LOOOVE it!! i think the colors look amazing against your black door (which i am severally jealous of, by the way!!!) the ribbon color is perfect and i love how full it is!!

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

I can't believe you MADE that! It's gorgeous! I've been wanting to get my butt in gear to make a gorgeous, lush fall wreath for our door...but most likely by the time I get around to it I'll need to make a gorgeous, lush Christmas wreath :).

Georgia Girl said...

kimba all your projects are cute and so is this wreath....but if you want to toss it aside and do another one feel free to send it on down to Georgia....hehehe

Please help with some tips on my spray painting blog today...any suggestions would be appreicative!

Nadir @ Hodgepodge said...

It's a lovely wreath! If you think it's too fluffy maybe add some different focal points to it like some fakey/realish small pumpkins or gourds for some extra color & shape. I just recently scored some great ones at AcMoore for $1 each & gave an old grapevine wreath a makeover that I'll be posting soon.

pcb said...

Looks great against the door. My Christmas wreath is also a doubl-decker wired together with twist ties!

I like the commenter suggestion of a more 'fun' ribbon. I'd probably add some yellow, mainly because I am not a fan of orange and the yellow would get more of the attention.

Heidi said...

girl, I don't know WHAT you're talking about! It's SOOO Fabulous!

Let it Shine said...

First of all, I LOVE it. I mean, it seriously looks like you bought it for a Gazillion dollars. I love the mix of colors.
From an artistic perspective, is it a textural thing? It has almost all one type of texture (besides the acorns), kind of a dried natural thing going, which is perfect for fall. Maybe add a different texture like feathers or something to soften it up? I am not sure what you think is lacking....
I think it rocks!!

Let it Shine said...

(Sorry to comment twice) Another idea, maybe to dress it up a bit, you could do a metallic ribbon, and add some metallic elements.

But seriously girl, it looks great. Just trying to give you ideas so you will smile everytime you see it.

:)
Alyshia

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful...keep it just the way it is!

Sara Neufeld said...

Don't change a thing!!! I LOVE it...it's perfect as is! Maybe you've just been staring at it too long. :)

Anonymous said...

well i have to say i saw the first pic and scrolled down to see what magazine it came from(like potterybarn),so i could go get one. so all that means i love it. but then when i saw your ho hum about it, i went back up to look at it and all i can come up with is an ornamental initial or bird in the lower left or right of the inside of the wreath.but like i said at first i was looking where to buy it!!! love it!!!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

So pretty. I love it! I made a new one this year too. I just love the way it brightens up our door!

XOOX
jen

Thena said...

I thnk it's perfect. But I'm not creative at all. Now put me in a kitchen and I will bake from scratch to my heart's content. But ribbon, lace, flowers, and hot glue gun, not a clue.

kellyhicks said...

ooo lovely! i want a fall wreath!

Lynn Kellan said...

Gorgeous!

queenbee said...

I loveee the wreath. If you dont want it I will definately take it off of your hands, I dont want you to be stressed out or anything :)

Kathy C. said...

I love it! Don't change a thing...it pops right off your front door beautifully and isn't broken up by a focal point that could be distracting. I think it's gorgeous and I'm now in the mood to hit the thrift stores to make my own!!! :)

Suzann said...

I'm loving it. Not seeing the resemblance to a muppet. Do you not like the ribbon hanger? I'm not sure why you don't like it, but I know that when I don't like something it gnaws at me. But, I really do like it.

BeckyB said...

Beautiful - it's full and I love the texture with the nuts and double wreath idea! Don't change a thing! You are amazing!
Becky B

Aimee said...

1. It's beautiful and don't change a thing. You are amazing.
2. Now I have that dumb song stuck in my head. You are evil.

Anonymous said...

LOVESS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erin said...

i think it is perfect!

Anonymous said...

Love the wreath...it is perfection. When I saw the pic I thought great a Williams Sonoma expensive wreath pictured on her page.

Natalie Meester said...

What a great way to spruce up a wreath. I love it that you used twistie ties...how funny!

Barbara Jean said...

Gorgeous!!
Thanks for sharing.

Blessings
barbara jean

The Style Sisters said...

Kimba...it looks gorgeous ! But if it bothers you try adding in some larger focal pieces to it. Like some gourds or miniature pumpkins. It allows your eye to rest on a part of the wreath instead of the circle of the wreath. If that makes any sense? I did that to mine and I really like how it turned out. But really I love how your wreath turned out and especially because you repurposed everything!! Love Love Love that!

Ally's Corner said...

I love it and would take it if you don't want it.

Ally

seanymph said...

Hmmmmm maybe a pumpkin? You know those small ones....or just add a bow where the ribbon for the wreath is. Make it of the same ribbon if you have more.

Mrs. Dunbar said...

Love it. I think its perfect. Would you like to come over and help me with mine?

Amy said...

I love this. Reading your post makes it sound so easy. Not sure if I would get the same final result. It turned out beautiful.

sarah may said...

I love the wreath and I LOVE the color orange of that ribbon. It's a happy tasteful orange instead of the weird tacky halloween orange. Just in case you were stressing about that part too :)

Kelly @ turned UP to ELEVEN! said...

your stuff is SO amazing. I'd pay top dollar for something as nice as that - welllll done!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Kimba, I think it's great! :) I love the ribbon...so much classier than my plastic wreath hanger thingie. :s

I need to get on the ball with my Fall decorating....

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

LUV how you put the two wreaths together...and happy:) to see that I'm not alone when using twist ties instead of floral wire! Come over for a visit if you have the time, thanks!

Blessings,
Linda

Heathahlee said...

Why in the world would you think this looks like a Muppet? It's beautiful! And I laughed out loud about the florist wire and omlette. Because I'd do the same thing.

And thank you for sticking that song in my head.

Anonymous said...

I love it! Thanks for the reminder to hang mine - wish I had some odds and ends with which to spruce, but my tiny home has very limited storage.

Embellished Bayou said...

I think it looks great, but if it were mine, there would be a lot more glitter involved!

Gail said...

I think it's beautiful just the way it is.

Gail

Shanna aka Eli n Lucas's mommy said...

I love it so much that I gasped when I saw it! Gorgeous!! I ♥ your blog!!

Anonymous said...

OH.MY.GOSH. Gorgeous might I add! If you aren't loving it, I sure do and I'd even buy it from you! I'm absolutely serious..

Dana
dmt1993@hotmail.com

grannyann said...

That is one beautiful wreath!!!

The other day I pulled a stupid and had to redo my blog. If my last posts are not showing up in my feed please come back and re-subscribe. thanks

Let it Shine said...

Another idea, what about a strip of burlap to hang it and your starfish (from the candles) on top of the burlap where it meets the wreath

Sunny said...

Maybe it will jump off the door and run to my house where it will be loved and appreciated for the gloriously gorgeous wreath that it is! Love it!

Love the Decor! said...

A muppet ? I'm cracking up!!
I like it how it is but maybe a soft wired orange or copper bow with the tails worked into the wreath would make you like it better. :)

Ruth said...

I love the wreath. It looks beautiful.

Ruth

glor said...

Oh my gosh ... its is absolutely beautiful. I would be glad to take if off your hands ... lol!!!
Fantasitc work! I want to make one for my own.

Gussy Sews said...

I think it rocks. In fact, I want to touch it.

GUSSY

Lindsay @ Makely said...

Perfection.

Kathy B! said...

It's beautiful. Visually I love it. It looks like it would flop around when the door opens and closes... as long as that doesn't happen I'd say leave it alone!!

Melissa said...

I think it's perfect....but what do I know!? ha!

Melissa :D

Unknown said...

Just beautiful!!!
Saludos
Charo

An said...

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

The Nixons! said...

It's perfect! Don't touch it!!!

Viviane said...

Hi! I am presenting you with an award. Check out my blog for more details and thanks on being so inspirational!

Sarah said...

I visit your blog so often and I love it. As for the wreath, I like it. It makes and smile and says that fall is here.

Anonymous said...

First, the wreath looks great but if you still feel that it is lacking, maybe add something with a larger pop of yellow? Second, you just had to say Mahna Mahna, didn't you???? I have a papyrus plant on my my patio and the neighbor guy commented that it looks like a muppet. That was last Friday and I've been singing the Mahna Mahna song every time I walk outside since. It'll be in my head until that thing dies off now. heehee!

Anonymous said...

First, the wreath looks great but if you still feel that it is lacking, maybe add something with a larger pop of yellow? Second, you just had to say Mahna Mahna, didn't you???? I have a papyrus plant on my my patio and the neighbor guy commented that it looks like a muppet. That was last Friday and I've been singing the Mahna Mahna song every time I walk outside since. It'll be in my head until that thing dies off now. heehee!

Anonymous said...

Kimba...not sure if my comment got left, so I will try again...

I LOVE IT! If you just get sick of it, please send it my way...wink, wink...

Kate Riley said...

Kimba, it's gorg! Wouldn't change a thing. Your last two photos are amazing ! Why am I just now noticing your black door? Love it! That orange just pops against it.

Laney said...

I like it. But if you're unsure, you could go to Marth Stewart's website and look for wreaths, maybe you'll see just what you feel is missing.

Moore Minutes said...

Wow, I am pretty sure this is the prettiest fall wreath I've seen so far this season!! loving it!

Leigh said...

I don't get the muppet question...but I love the wreath. Can I have it? ;-)

Leigh

Marie said...

Hello Kimba - love your wreath. It just screams Fall! And what a beautiful way to welcome your guests.

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com

Amelia said...

I love it just as it is, but if you wanted to add something, how about hanging a tiny pumpkin or pinecone in the center of the wreath? Just a thought...Love your blog by the way...