03 December 2008

The Most Wonderful Garland on Earth

If you're visiting from The Nester's Garland Show & Tell, welcome! Well, welcome not matter where you're visiting from. I'm so glad you're here! On with my garland...

I have been dreaming of decorating my new mantle since we began building this house. My head was a-tizzy with different ideas. Sparkly or natural? Simple or lush? Then I saw this post from Nester where she showed us how to make The Most Wonderful Christmas Garland Ever.

Nester's Garland

I jumped up and down and screamed, "Yes! Yes! A million times YES!!!" I'm a drama queen like that. This was the garland that my mantle was born to hold.

So I set about gathering up every bit of greenery that I could find. I have a lot of greenery. Hubby was a bit horrified to see all of my faux greenery gathered in one place. I can't believe I forgot to take a picture.



And I twisted. And I fluffed. And I added. And I subtracted (just a bit...I mostly added). And a couple of times I got nervous. Was it too much? Was it going to look like the forest threw up on my mantle?



But I kept hearing Nester whispering in my ear, "It needs more. Keep going. Don't give up." She's the Garland Whisperer, you know. I think she will be in charge of making garlands in heaven. And toile. Definitely garlands and toile.



And sigh, I'm so happy that I listened. It's exactly what I wanted even though I didn't know what I wanted.



Are these not the most fabulous pine cones that you've ever seen? Does anyone have any ideas for what I should put up on top of the mantle? I have a bunch of mercury glass that just doesn't work with these natural elements. Help me think of something.

If you need me, I'll be sitting on my couch looking at my garland.



If you want to see the rest of my garland story, you can find it here.




And you're all invited to my Holiday Open House on Tuesday, December 16th. There are going to be prizes!

post signature



P.S. - If you're still Christmas shopping, don't forget the Moms Unite Shopping Guide.

111 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Kris said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! Absolutely gorgeous! Bravo!! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Can I come and sit on your couch and look at your garland too? It is perfect...absolutely beautiful....I do have an idea I saw in one of my December magizines that I think would look pretty....(I think it was BHG)...Take a bucket and pour in water and clorine....leave pinecones in all night...they will bleach. Hot glue to a foam cone shape and add a bow to the top or nothing at all. Secure in a small pot or urn.....it is really pretty. The pinecones bleach out but still retain some of their natural color........

Valerie said...

Your are just so talented. I have no decorating sense at all! Love coming to your blog.

Christy said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!

Runner Mom said...

Woohoo! Awesome job, girlfriend! Mine's not quite there yet! But...I'm a working on it! It's still in a pile on the floor!!

Here's what I did with my mercury ornamnets. I have a twisted barly pedestal (spelling??) stand from SL at Home and the accompanying glass dome. IT's been hiding in storage for years. I pulled it out and remembered how much $$ I paid for it. So, the lovely mercury ornaments--half price at Hobby Lobby--are on the stand with the dome over it. It looks right purty!

BTW, I am going gingerbread on my table runner. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm working the next 2 days, so it will be the weekend before I start! Thanks!!

Katie @ makingthishome.com said...

I love how you took the Nester's idea and worked it into your home. It looks really great, especially with how you fought the urge to stop adding a little more. I love it, Kimba!
Katie

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Gorgeous!

Are those pine cones from the sugar pine? They are monsters!

:)

Betsy said...

OH MY GOODNESS SIMPLY GORGEOUS....yours is the best yet!

Unknown said...

Your garland is wonderful and you are very talented. Love it and your blog.

Kendra@My Insanity said...

This is so gorgeous!!! I've been really dissatisfied with the garland I've found to purchase this year. I'm wondering if I can ever accumulate enough garland to do this along my giant banister? (Maybe after Christmas sales???)

Christine said...

Your garland is beautiful! Great job!

CMB said...

Your mantle is just gorgeous...I don't think it even needs anything else!

Valarie Lea said...

It looks great! I am working on mine it needs more!!

Carrie's Minnesota-nICE said...

It looks amazing! You did a wonderful job! I wish I had your fireplace, or nester's or both:)Great work!

Vanessa Greenway said...

It looks wonderful!!! Great! :) Vanessa

Aubrey said...

It's fabulous. Is there any more ROOM on top for anything?

My First Kitchen said...

The Garland Whisperer. That should be a t-shirt.

Wendy said...

Wowee! What a beauty!!! The Nester would be proud. It's lovely!

Shell in your Pocket said...

Just beautiful!!! I love it!!!
-sandy toes
p.s. sit on that couch and "gaze"

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

GORGEOUS Kimba!

I made one too, thanks to her great tutorial. :) I have to admit, though, that I'm having a bit of a hard time filling it up. I'm a bit of a minimalist and I don't own any faux greenery. *gasp* But it's still looking way better than the plain garland I started with.

Hyperactive Lu said...

Looks great!

jennifer said...

Oh my gosh! It's so gorgeous!

I'm inspired.

Glitter & Bliss said...

Love it!!!

AndreaLeigh said...

I want to sit on your couch and look at your garland - it is that amazing!

Kristen said...

That looks great! I'm in process of attempting my own garland. I just don't have enough neat things to put in it yet. As for adding to the mantle...maybe filling some glass cylinders with some sort of holiday berry?

Lauren and Justin said...

holy cowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! i want oneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
it is absolutely gorg.

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful! Question, did you nail it on there or how did you get it to support the weight?

Kasey said...

I too took Nester's idea with the garland. Maybe a Nativity scene on top of your mantle will look nice.

maryanne420 said...

WOW!!! you did such a great job. that is one beautiful garland.

Pretty Organizer said...

Yikes... Am I scared to admit that I may just like your garland more than Nesters? Would a friend even say that on a blog? Kimba, it's incredible.

I'm floored by how much greenery you gals just have lying around. I'm in the middle of the desert and unless I want to stick a big cactus pad up on my "non-existent mantle" I'll need to stock pile for next year. BEAUTIFUL!!! Pat yourself on the back and go have a good Diet Coke and a chocolate bar!

Mom in High Heels said...

Oh, Kimba! It's beautiful! Be-a-utiful. A want to sit on your sofa and stare at it with you. Sadly, I have no mantle, so I am working on a super lush garland for the front door of my building (I live in an enclosed stairwell). I'm hoping to have it up tomorrow. Got to get it up before the holidays are over!

Laura said...

Wow!! You apparently are a very good listener - it's perfect!

Unknown said...

How BEAUTIFUL! I love it to death! Great job

Monica said...

Wow! It looks awesome!

***Monica

Emily said...

Thats homemade?!?!?! OMG! I want! Lol!
I nominated you for a Butterfly Blog award because I love your blog Kimba! Please see my December 3rd post to pull the award onto your blog!
Em

Debbie Petras said...

Love the garland and pine cones. Your mantle looks simply beautiful!

Holly said...

Wow! Looks great! I posted about my garland today too.

Shannon said...

Absolutely beautiful!! Love it!

Blogger said...

It's beautiful, Kimba!

I missed Nester's post, will have to check it out.

I would just take the mirror down...then look around and try different things til something 'looks right'...I'm a wanderer like that ;)

Maybe some rustic barn stars or classic topiaries, I really don't know...but I am sure you will find something..when you do please send me a tweet so I can see :)

Thanks@

Bella

Amanda said...

YUMMY! that is beautiful!! way to go girl!

Kimba said...

I guess I should have told you all how I hung that 25 lb monster. No way was I going to put tacks or nails in the new mantle. Hubby's patience does know some limits.

I used 6 of those Command hooks from 3M. They're holding well now since I corrected a minor malfunction that I'll tell you about tomorrow.

Tardevil said...

You need these awesome reindeer over at Pier 1 (even more awesome b/c they're on sale!). Here's the link! http://www.pier1.com/TopMenu/Products/tabid/260/Default.aspx?task=viewproduct&id=2206&urlname=natural-wash-reindeer-sleigh
They look like carved wood, but they are made out of something like terracotta & painted. Now about that most, fabulous, gorgeous, awesome & magnificient garland...I think you need to box it up & donate it to my favorite charity...ME! My address is 1 Tardevil Lane Lake Norman, NC 29876! Thanks & Merry Christmas!

Heathahlee said...

It's bee-u-tee-full! Just gorgeous, dahling!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

It is beautiful, Kimba! You did a great job with all the layering & adding of stuff. And I like all the mixed elements too, that really gives it an elegant look. I've been picking up pinecones for 2 years now & have too many now! Love them too.

Decor To Adore said...

I think that the focal point should be your beautiful garland. The mantle doesn't need anything else. If you have to have something I would suggest an odd number of taper candles in a complimentary color.

Nili said...

Awesome Garland...I don't know how I don't have any greenery garlandy stuff...I must get on that.

shelbi said...

that is GORGEOUS! can i just sit with you and stare? wow....

just lovely. SIGH...

xoxo
shelbi

Windy said...

If I were at your house and my mantle looked THAT awesome, I would just sit and look at it too:)

Laura said...

How beautiful! Maybe you could add a woodland Santa type or some reindeer!

Just Lisa said...

This is gorgeous! So great!

Letti said...

It came out so nice. Your mantle can be on the cover of a magazine.

Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry said...

Your garland turned out BEAUTIFUL....
*BIG APPLAUSE*
~Jen

Beth at Aunties said...

It is gorgeous and you fluffed and twisted just right!

Bonnie the Boss said...

Beautiful and lush!! Great job. Isn't it fun to have blogs and friends to get great ideas from?

Angela said...

That is ab-so-lute-ly beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! That is one really amazing garland! Love it.

Chris said...

It. is. GORgeous!!!! I can't get over how much greenery you had! I've been picking stuff up for months, and mine's not HALF as full! WOAH! It's beautiful!!

Deb said...

OMG!!! I love your garland. I was totally at HobLob today walking the isles of the floral department looking for the stuff to make my garland all frufru like yours. Now I need to totally go back and find more stuff. More is always better. I want some of those humongous pine cones. Where did you get them? And don't tell me in the yard, cause I will totally have a cow.

Maureen said...

Gorgeous! The pine cones are my absolute favorite part.

Shannon @ Silver Trappings said...

Absolutely beautiful!!! Awesome job!!

Shannon

Anonymous said...

WOW - I've got to check out the Nester to find out how to make this garland!

edie said...

I'm glad I've procrastinated the mantel until now....you girls keep amazing me.

Unknown said...

oh my...you've put me to shame....I DEFINITELY need to beef up my garland...I gave up to quickly!

Anonymous said...

My it looks stunning just like it is- I don't think you need a thing more with this gorgeous garland!! Great job!!

blessings
mary

Jami said...

Hey Kimba - I'm new to your blog but I gotta say, the garland is gorgeous!!

I'm glad you are enjoying it! :)

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

LOVING IT!! Dare I say...I like it better??? SHHHH!! I think I do. OK, really, I don't think I would add much to the mantel...the garland should be the showcase. I like tardevil's idea of the reindeer. Or maybe a few chunky candlesticks, a couple on one side, a few on the other?

Cassie said...

Well, I love it. The Garland Whisperer did you good!

Gretchen said...

looks fabulous!!!

I had the same issue, about what to put above the garland.

Just posted about how I (cheaply) solved the blank space above the garland

Anonymous said...

This is the best garland ever! The amazing thing is that I think that you could, if you really wanted to...., put it up for other holidays too. Looks great. Thanks for sharing.

Stacey said...

It's amazing!!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

We'll sit together and look. It's AWESOME! I did mine yesterday and am having the same problem. I need height to see over all the gloriousness, but I don't have any and the few things I do have that are tall - the bases are too wide. And i will not buy anything when I have SO much already. Looks great. Now off to see what your gazillion other commentors say to do.

The Beauty Bargainista said...

WOW! I thought nesters was beautiful, but yours is sooo awesome Kimba! I so want to do this right now!!!! :)

I am Mom said...

Cinnamon sticks in a jar would go well or red berry trees. great work as always

Mimi Sue said...

Just beautiful. I think the Nester might do a mistreatment or two in heaven. Mimi

Angie said...

You should be so proud of yourself because that garland is a work of art! Gorgeous!

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Oh my,that is stunning! I saved the pic to my computer so I can remember how beautiful it is! I definitly will not be posting my mantle garland after seeing yours. I have alot of work to do on it now that I saw yours!! Oh and Love those huge pinecones!!

Tori Leslie said...

Gorgeous! Just the perfect combination, simple lovely!!

Free Art Printables said...

It looks lovely!

Andrea said...

From the pics it doesn't look like your mantle needs much more. It's so pretty the way it is. But how about some stars glued to dowels spray painted (of course) gold at varying heights. You could "plant" them in a container that would be hidden by the garland.

Unknown said...

Oh my that looks soooo good. I do wish I had the talent to do that...but it usually ends up looking like something I found on the side of the road...

I may be inpired to give it another try!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Just gorgeous!! You did an amazing job, Kimba! It looks so full and pretty, and I especially love the star ornamental thingys in the center! If I were you, I'd add tall glass goblet type candleholders. Something simple, yet pretty, and that wouldn't compete with your lovely garland!

Karen said...

Amazing and beautiful job! I love it, I made one too. My husband asked me where I got it:) I said I made it! And last night I made 2 ragamuffin garlands:)

Jennifer said...

You're right...it is the most wonderful garland on earth! Stunning!!!

Sara said...

I've been planning on making one of the nesters garlands too....So glad you posted about yours. It is beautiful!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Also, I've tagged you for a Fun Christmas Meme over on my blog!! Have fun :)

Anonymous said...

Im speechless... that says alot, smile! I think that is the best mantel ever!!!!

Katie said...

That is so pretty Kimba, I don't go that crazy my kids would pull all that down, Lauren anyway. So neat!!

Ashley said...

Absolutely beautiful! I did my tree and garland right before we left for Thanksgiving so that I could come home and enjoy it right away. You will definitely enjoy looking at your beautiful job!!

The Nester said...

The garland whisperer?

Just about the best compliment {nest to the house whisperer} I've ever had!

Rebekah said...

Hello! This is my first time visiting your lovely blog. Your garland is beautiful!

Lana said...

This is absolutely beautiful! I LOVE it! Fantastic job!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT!!! i'm so intimidated now...

Sallie said...

Really pretty. At Homegoods they have these beautiful Mercury glass acorns and pinecones. I think they would great up there. Otherwise, I wouldn't add too much. Your garland is already the showstopper.

Sunny said...

SOOOOOOOOOO PRETTY! (in a whisper voice) Don't tell Nester but I actually like yours better! Eeek. Can't believe I just said that.

On your mantle...maybe something red and with height...like candles on different level pedestals? Oh, who am I? I'm so not good with that stuff! I just gaga over you and Nester and your handiworks.

jeanne @ Inspiring Ideas said...

Oh my! It's gorgeous! So full and looks great!

Lady Farmer said...

Just found your blog! (Sent over by Cheri from Southern Hills Ramblings)
You can take all that left over faux greenery and make a garland for MY mantle! Then your hubby will be so happy he doesn't have to see it anymore! :~}
Your garland is gorgeous! Well Done, indeed!

Lacey in the Sky said...

It's PERFECT Kimba!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Absolutely beautiful!

KarenB said...

Thanks for telling us how you got that amazing garland to stay put! My eensy weensy one won't stay very well, I can't imagine if I added so much fabulousness to it. Very, very nice job!

Judy said...

Scoot over and make room for me on that couch...I could look at that garland a lo-o-o-g time, you did a beautiful job!

Judy

Anonymous said...

The garland on your mantle is absolutely stunning! I agree with you, that mantle was made to boast that garland! Thanks so much for sharing your photographs with us. ~Arleen

Jinx said...

WOW!!!!

I love your garland! If you are still looking for additions, perhaps a natural topiary (greenery, pine cones, berries & such) to draw the eye upward?

Or I saw the neatest thing....greenery swirled up (imagine DNA) a grapevine rod. You could dress that up to match!

Kristi said...

Gorgeous! It looks like a designer came in and decorated your mantle. Very impressive!!!!Christmas blessings to you and your family!

Denise K. said...

I too think your garland is just gorgeous! It is so full and lush, and I love all your add-ins! Thanks for sharing your beautiful home! Merry Christmas! :-)

Miss G said...

It's beautiful, Kimba and I like your writing. Kelly

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Ceekay here...another drama queen...your garland is fab...you know that is drama talk right?
Really it is beautiful. I think some pretty candle holders would be beautiful up there with natural color candles...but that just a thought.

Marci @All Things Wonderful said...

Very Pretty! It must be even more beuatiful in "real life".

Judy @ In His Grip said...

Your forest can throw up on my mantel any day. Awesome garland.

Trisha said...

Fabulous garland! Your mantle looks lovely!


Trisha Evans
a vintage white
my2roses

Beth at Aunties said...

Gorgeous!
I absolutely loved your garland tale except for the fact you got hurt. I hope it is alright again I linked to your garland in the middle of my post. You are inspiring! Your home looks lovely and so festive Kimba, for a special Christmas with your family!

Merry Christmas,

Beth♥♥♥

Beth at Aunties said...

Gorgeous!
I absolutely loved your garland tale except for the fact you got hurt. I hope it is alright again I linked to your garland in the middle of my post. You are inspiring! Your home looks lovely and so festive Kimba, for a special Christmas with your family!

Merry Christmas,

Beth♥♥♥