11 October 2009

Sunday Morning


The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
because the Lord has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,

to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,

and provide for those who grieve in Zion --
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the Lord
for the display of his splendor.

Isaiah 61: 1-3

17 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Lisa said...

Amen!! Have a blessed Sunday.
~Lisa

Suzann said...

the perfect post to start my Sunday. Thanks.

From the Old InkWell said...

What a beautiful setting and comforting words. Have a wonderful Sunday.

EllensCreativePassage said...

I look forward to your Sunday posts! Great way to start the week off right...

Debbie Petras said...

I love to visit you every Sunday morning. The Scripture is so reassuring and alive. Have a wonderful Sunday Kimba.

Blessings,
Debbie

Richella Parham said...

Wow, Kimba.

I usually think of those verses as quoted by Jesus--but in reading them just in the New Testament, I'd forgotten about the "oaks of righteousness" part. Wow.

As always, an inspired pairing of Scripture with photo. You have a gift for this, and I really appreciate your sharing it with us.

Farmgirl Paints said...

Oh Kimba that was just what I needed this morning. Thank you for that:)

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Beautiful!

xo,
cristin

Kathy C. said...

Amen Kimba! Thank you for sharing that with us today. :)

Mombrud said...

I love the beautiful photos you post on Sunday mornings. They remind me to pause to look for god's beauty around me every day.

Tammy@InStitches said...

I'm a new follower. Love the Sunday post.
Have a blessed day !

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

One of my favorite passages of scripture. Have a blessed Sunday!

Unknown said...

What wonderful verses!!

Its So Very Cheri said...

Kimba
Is there any chance you can add this post to your blog party? I am out of town, staying with family, that doesn't have internet, and may not be able to post to your party on Tuesday.
I can't wait to visit the posts, when I get back on. Thanks for all you do.
Thanks,
Cheri
http://itssoverycheri.blogspot.com/2009/10/knock-off-knock-out-party-give-way-day.html

Chocolates for Breakfast said...

I just sent a son off on a 2 year mission (sniff, sniff)...just what I needed to read!

Journeying Five said...

the spirit of the Lord is upon us and therefore I can hope...for it is not for me to do alone, a good thing to think on this thanksgiving!

Sonya said...

This is one of my favorite passages because it points to the hope of Jesus! In Luke 4:16-21, Jesus quotes this passage and says that HE is who Isaiah was talking about.

16He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. And he stood up to read. 17The scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written:

18"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, 19to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."

20Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him, 21and he began by saying to them, "Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing."