Are you the type of person who instinctively knows how to arrange your bits and baubles on a coffee table (or bookshelf, or sideboard, or whatever) in a way that looks beautiful? Or are you the type of person who arranges a bunch of junk on your table and it looks like, well, a bunch of junk?
I would say that I'm somewhere in the middle. Over time, I've learned how to arrange my junk in a way that looks pretty and doesn't scream "Thrift store junk for sale!!!!"
I know. I'm deep. I could have been working on world peace and instead I was arranging tsotchkes.
One of the ways to get better at the art of arranging is to copy displays by people who know what they're doing. I'm not suggesting that you go to Pottery Barn and buy everything in their beautiful display. But it is helpful to find a picture from a catalog and look at the size, scale and type of things in the display and try to create something similar with stuff you already have.
Let's see...big tray, stacked books, small flower arrangement and some other little junk. Got it.
- Big rattan tray from the thrift store (I honestly have no idea why I bought this. I think I was planning to turn it into a table but it's just been sitting in the basement.)
- Lots of pretty books from my grandpap
- Lid from a funky green urn...Somehow I managed to lose the urn but I still have the lid. How does that happen?
- Glass vase filled with beach pebbles and fake flowers. I'm not usually a huge fan of fake flowers, but these sunflowers aren't too bad. And mixed with some nice fake leaves, they're totally tolerable.
- Pinecone and candles
See how the size, shape and scale of the things in my display are similar to the PB picture? I didn't buy anything new. I just scrounged around through what I already had.
Hmmmmm...Ceramic urn with sunflowers, some kind of basket and a wooden bowl. OK, let's try this...
- Galvanized metal ice bucket stuffed with faux leaves
- Wooden dough bowl filled with pinecones
- Bronze bowl/urn thing from Nester's Swap Meet
Again, the size and scale are similar even though the actual stuff is totally different.
This one's easy...Wooden tray and metal bowl filled with apples. Stack of magazines with a rock. You gotta love it when PB starts decorating with rocks. Recession anyone?
- Wooden tray from TJ Maxx...I grabbed it for $7.99 a couple of months back.
- Bread basket filled with pinecones...That silly basket is precious to me because it came home with me from our honeymoon.
- Stack of magazines
- Rock from the backyard
I think this last one is my favorite. Mostly because it stands that greatest chance of surviving my boys and because it allows me to claim that my stacks of magazines are display worthy.
Now go arrange something.
DIY Day is still going strong! Scroll down or click here to see over 250(!) projects that have been linked up so far. Winner of the giveaway from V & Co on Etsy will be announced tomorrow so you can still enter your project.
You can still enter our giveaway from Rondo Room! Just click here and leave me a comment!