20 July 2009

Furniture Rehab ~ The Beach Edition Part 1

Vacation means 2 things to me...beach and shopping. This year it was more browsing than buying, but it was still fun.

My cousin-in-law (Hi Kathy!!!) and I share a love for home decorating projects, so we spent some time browsing around the beach community where we vacationed. During our hunt, we stumbled on an outdoor sale that was jammed full of thrifty furniture that had been made beautiful again with some simple repairs and a coat of paint.

Heaven! It was called Beach House Chic and it was being run by my soul-sister, Diane. She was tan, barefoot and covered in a fine layer of white paint. I adored her instantly. She is a master thrifter and furniture rehabber and she has turned her talent into a semi-annual sale.

We spent ages chatting and comparing technique and tips...birds of a feather, we are. I asked if she minded if I shared some of her creations with my readers and she graciously said "yes". Like this beautiful bench created from an old sleigh bed.

I nearly flipped when I saw this old screen door that had been turned into a kitchen table!

They cut a piece of glass to fit the top of the table and added a frame around the edge to hold it all in place.

And how about this bench made from an old crib?

If I had room in my van, I would have snapped up this chair with the toile seat and matching pillow. Totally reasonable at $58, I think. Look at that sweet ruffle on the pillow.

I'll have more inspiration from Beach House Chic for you tomorrow plus a shot from inside "The Coop" where all of the rehab magic happens. After chatting with Diane for nearly an hour, she invited us back to her workshop so we could look through some of her pieces before they were finished.

If you're going to be anywhere near the Delaware Shore during the last weekend in July, you MUST check out this incredible sale. There will be all sorts of vendors with beautiful home furnishings and decor. It will be open July 31-August 2, 10am-5pm at 528 Atlantic Avenue/Route 26 (3.2 miles from the Bethany Totem Pole).

~~~~~~~~~~

Need some furniture rehab inspiration? Check out these awesome makeovers!
Thrift store coffee table makeover ~ Olive Rue
DIY paintings (not furniture rehab, but too stinkin' cute not to share ~ Just A Girl
A bench made from a bed ~ Bungalow
DIY play kitchen ~ Out of the Crayon Box
Trash (literally) to treasure ottoman ~ Imparting Grace
Desk and chair makeover ~ This Southern Girls Nest

30 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Jennifer Juniper said...

In my imaginary shop I construct in my head, I imagine it like this. All handmade, rehabbed, crafty, arty stuff. I think about it all the time. It would be so fun to create these things and fill up a space with them, don't you think?

Great find, thanks for sharing, the wheels are turning...Oh, and welcome home (for real this time)

Trish @TheOldPostRoad said...

The screen door kitchen table is perfect for the beach!

RN and OSHP said...

I am originally from Dover, DE. We vacation every year in Bethany. This is actually the first year we are NOT going! My mom is going to DE for a wedding that very weekend and I am debating getting the 3 kids loaded up and tagging along just to hit up the sale! Thanks for the info and I am glad you enjoyed the beach! I rode the rides on the Rehoboth boardwalk every year when I was a kid and now my kids are enjoying them. We LOVE the quiet town of Bethany. Have you ever shopped at Tulip? It used tobe in dowtown Bethany but is now up the highway on the way to Rehoboth? GREAT things!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fantastic shop and I love the bench. I just finished one myself!

Christine said...

Oooh! I live in central Delaware and I have been begging my husband to take me to the beach for the weekend. Now we have to go! It's like she was designing for my house! Thanks for the info Kimba!!

Cheryl said...

Oh man, when you had mentioned in a previous post something about eating Maryland crabs I thought you might be heading to the Easter Shore of MD....and it looks like you did. The hubs and I grew up in MD and My in-laws live O.C. Too bad we made our annual trek back east already. I would of loved to go in that Beach House Chic shop.
I hope you had you some crabs. We just made some crab cakes the other night. Except, I had to go to local meat market to get lump crab in a can. We live out in the midwest now.
Sorry to ramble. I miss home lots. Glad you enjoyed your vacation.

{oc cottage} said...

Oh I have always wanted to turn a door into a table! I love that! Great links too!

m ^..^

Shannan Martin said...

A screen door table! Say it ain't so.

trinacoyle said...

Hey Kimba - been following you for awhile and REALLY surprised to find you were vacationing just down the street - I live just off rt 26 before Hocker's - just popped in the new Beach House Chic yesterday to check it out - you probably saw the Shop of the Four Sisters just across the way - they have been doing/selling similar for several years now - usually only open once a month - typically near a holiday if there is one -

If you're still over this way here's a great inspiration

18th Annual Beach & Bay Cottage Tour
to benefit the Friends of the South Coastal Library
Wednesday & Thursday, July 22 & 23, 2009
9:30 AM – 4 PM

OOOOHHHH! Beach living at it's best and most beautiful. Let me know when you're heading back this way - I'll clue you in on some hidden treasures : )
Trina

The Blushing Hostess said...

Great ideas, I love the bench as I would not be afraid then to putit out on the porch!

monkeyseeboutique said...

Great ideas and I love what she did with everything!

Wendy said...

So much fun! I'm going to make a bench out of my baby's crib as soon as he moved into his big boy bed sometime in the next year. Not in a hurry to have him grow up...but I am excited for the bench. ha!

Cindy said...

I would love that shop! The bloggers that I follow feel like my "soul sister's"...I just wish that they were't spread all over the country (or world) so I could see their stuff in person.

Denise @ Life on Stepping Stone Lane said...

I LLUUVV the screen door table! Darn! Why is Oklahoma so far from the Delaware Shore??!!??

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Ooooohhhhh everything is beautiful! I would love to visit her shop but I'm too far away. I love the chair with the toile pillows!!!

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

Fun, recycled stuff, just the kind we love so much!

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Oh my goodness....that crib turned bench is AMAZING! I want one BAD! Gonna have to talk to handy hubby about that one.

Chris said...

You know, I look at so many of these furniture makeovers, and I think, "WHY couldn't I think of that??". That crib turned bench is thee cutest thing ever! Great pictures, and I can't wait to see what you bring tomorrow!

P.S. Thanks for the link! ;)

Funky Junk Interiors said...

I can tell I'm going to love this series. I can't wait to see the workshop part!

Was this a home based biz or did she have a storefront? This subject matter is dream material for me!

Donna

Joanna said...

What a great little shop! I would love to go there. I just love the first picture with the bench and the ship's wheel. I would just love to do that!

Thanks for linking to me as well for the furn. rehab!

Mel at Adventures of Mel said...

I love the bench made from the sleigh bed. That is so cute! She really does have talent!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

That sounds like a great vacation to me!! :)

Richella Parham said...

Thank you so much for the link! I'm honored and excited.

BTW, the trash-to-treasure ottoman is holding up very nicely. My boys love to put their feet on it; it's fun to see them relaxing on the porch. I just found a Goodwill tray to spray paint to go on top of the ottoman. :)

jninecostumes said...

The chair with the toile pillows is perfect. For whatever reason!!

Unknown said...

What a great place! Those sorts of sales are my favorites, if nothing else for inspiration. That ruffle on the toile chair is adorable! Love those details. Thanks so much for sharing.

abeachcottage said...

oh it looks just like the kind of place I would have liked to spend an hour in!

great post

Unknown said...

Thanks, Kimba, now for the first time, I'm wishing I wasn't going to the Outer Banks next week! :)
Awesome stuff, can't wait to see more.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

I read beach 1 and 2 and wow! What a neat place! I could spend days in there absorbing.

Anonymous said...

Love the screen door table. And you are sweet to mention my coffee table makeover. Thanks.

grannyann said...

What terrific ideas!! I love these kinds of posts. Thanks for giving us a tour.