28 April 2009

Jute Wreath Tutorial


Do you want to make this glorious wreath?

Here's what you need:



  1. Wreath form - I used a 14" foam one but you can use whatever you have...foam, straw, whatever. Mine was broken but a bunch of hot glue fixed it right up.
  2. Jute rope - You don't need a 6lb roll like I have. Please don't ask why I have a 6 lb roll of jute rope. A small spool will work fine for this project.
  3. Glue gun - A low melt is probably better so you don't burn your fingers eleventy-thousand times like I did
  4. Clips - Again, use whatever you have...ring clips, name badge clips (that's what I had). Heck, you could even use paper clips.
  5. Pictures - Or whatever you're going to display. I think this would look great with all sorts of things...starfish, old cards, vintage images, chicken nuggets...

This is a "no-skills-required" wreath...which makes it perfect for moi...all you're doing is wrapping.

Start by securing one end of your jute rope on the back-side of your wreath. If you're a lunatic like me and have a 6 lb roll of rope, you're going to need to cut pieces to wrap because the roll won't fit through the middle. In that case, just make sure that you end each length of rope on whatever side is the back and start the new piece there too.

Now just keep wrapping and gluing to hold the rope in place. Try and keep all the glue on the back side so you can't see it.

Don't worry about covering every inch of the form on the first pass. We're going to come back and add a second coating of rope. See? Once you've gone over the whole thing at least 2x, secure the end piece on the back. Now you have a beautiful base wreath that you can fancy up with whatever strikes YOUR fancy.

I actually think it looks beautifully rustic with no embellishments and hanging from a piece of burlap.

But I couldn't just leave well-enough alone. I hot glued some name badge clips onto it so that it could hold photographs.

And added some old family photos that have been laying around in a drawer for years.

All done! And it only took about 45 minutes. What else do you think you could use to decorate it?

More wreath posts:

Spring lemonhead wreath: ASPTL
Fur Wreath Tutorial: Nesting Place
Radish wreath: the kitchen - Apartment Therapy
Spring wreath: Wollies World
Spring wreath: Straight from the Garden
Yarn wreath: Amazing Mae
Living wreath: My Romantic Home

40 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Lianne said...

6 lbs is a lot of jute.

"Chicken nuggets?" LOL!

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

Love this project!

I will try to make it!

Thanks for the idea!

Clara

Chris said...

That's it. I'm inspired. I'm off to go find 10 pounds of jute. I will not be outdone by a meaasly 6 pounds. :)

Holly said...

You know, I may just try this....
Thanks!

Christi said...

Cute! It would look great in my kitchen!

Natalie Meester said...

great for summer decorating!

thanks!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Too cute! I LOVE it!!!

Tamara said...

Simply devine! Love the touch of hanging it with a piece of burlap - very rustic! I think this would looks great in the fall... looks like a fun accessory piece for anyone with a ranch/cowboy themed home...

Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

You never cease to amaze me. Next, you can show me how to do a Shabby chic one. :) No pressure or anything...hee hee.

desiree said...

Great idea. I love the rustic simplicity of this wreath. I definitely have a project for this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Cute wreath Kimba!

XOXO
jen

Gina said...

That's a lot of jute! I love this project, thanks for sharing!

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

I'm lovin' it.
-Jill

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

That is so cool! I never would have thought of that, and now I HAVE to make one. Love-It!

Kelli said...

Your creativity inspires me!! Juices are flowing!!

Southern Fried Gal said...

I like the way you hung it with a burlap sash. I think it would be cute with colorful seed packs in place of the pictures. Wanna give that try and send me a picture - ha ha ha!

Meredith said...

You are so smart! We bought a giant roll of that jute at our farm co-op for just nothing. It is also called baling twine (for hay bales).

I'm generally anti-wreath because I dislike fake flowers, but this one I would definitely do!

As a teenager I visited a professor's home. His wife had wrapped jute around the frame of an old iron headboard and footboard. It was so attractive I still remember it.

Catherine Anne said...

Love this idea! I have many old b/w photos that would do great in this. -http://catherineanne5.blogspot.com/

Runner Mom said...

That is a really cute and simple(which I can do!) idea!! Thanks so much!!

Hugs,
Susan

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Oh how sweet, and I love the simplicity! Thanks for sharing, I'll be linking.

Stephanie said...

What a great idea!

Robin Johnson said...

Another simple project that looks FANTASTIC. you are amazing.

The Runyans said...

oh...
super cute!

Pam said...

So crafty! I love this idea!

Christina said...

Love it! Great idea and great look.

Heather Anne said...

Once upon a time I worked at the Bombay Co. and they had an occasional masculine 'nautical' trend for Father's Day - we sold scads of jute wreaths one year and I always wondered what the men who got them for Father's Day circa 1990 thought of those! We also had anchors, ship replicas and solid brass porthole mirrors - to 'enhance' the dark cherry furniture. Your wreath brings back some fun memories!

Kristen, pajama mama said...

this is really cute...craft stores also sell those centerpiece round mirrors about that size, you could attach to the back, if you didn't hang over a mirror...
i've been trying to make a reindeer moss wreath but the moss is so pricey for the size wreath I want...i wonder if the jute can be died or if it comes in a darker color-just to stand out from my neutral walls...okay, this comment is turning into a post...thanks for the ideas!
kristen

Unknown said...

Wow, love that wreath! thanks for the fab idea, Kimba!

Brittney said...

oh, that is so creative! Thanks so much for sharing that idea... I think I might try that sometime. I love cool ways to display photographs and other such things. :)

Unknown said...

Cool idea!

Nancy

Magic Brush said...

Don't you remember that I'm a wreath dork???? I tried your ping pong wreath and failed miserably. I posted about it too. I'm a little skittish of wreaths right now... so I will admire yours from afar! HA!

Cindy said...

That is great! That would have been great for my son's room when he lived at home!

Thanks so much for the link to my blog! My living wreath died over the winter. I need to go get some more plants for it!

queenbee said...

Nice wreath!!!! I love the look of the burlap as its just what I used to hang my spring egg wreath. Thanks for sharing

Xazmin said...

That is so cute! I love it!

I'm definitely going to try this out!

Wendy said...

Darling! But I wouldn't expect anything less. :-)

Heathahlee said...

Love it! I'm still wondering about the 6 lbs of jute rope. : )

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

I really love this jute wreath. I bought a darker colored jute string at the dollar area at Target--now I need to go get more.

Unknown said...

I adore this wreath!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for showing us another fabulous project!!!

Janis @ An Inspired Life said...

I'm sooooo going to make this.........think I'll put starfish and shells on mine. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Viviane said...

Hi Kimba! I love your blog. i actually tried out this jute wreath. I have a picture of it over on my blog. Please check it out and tell me your honest opinion about it. I made it my own a bit but need some input :) Here is the link:http://hautedecorgal.blogspot.com/2009/06/my-version-of-jute-wreath.html