17 March 2009

Tufted Headboard: Part 2



A few weeks back, I posted about this tufted headboard and gave you my thoughts about how to make it yourself.

A couple of days later, I got an email from one of my readers, Lissa. She told me that she had made a tufted headboard for her son's twin bed that was easy and lightweight. I thought her idea was brilliant and I asked her permission to share her project and photos with you.



Rather than using a large (and heavy) piece of plywood as the base, like I suggested, she used a large (and lightweight) painter's canvas. Brilliant! You can find painter's canvas in all sizes at your craft or art supply store. They rarely go on sale so make sure you have a coupon handy.

The other supplies you'll need are:
~batting
~fabric
~buttons that you can cover (for the front)
~regular buttons (for the back)
~heavy thread
~staple gun
~strong sewing or upholstery needle



To do this, first you cover your painter's canvas with the batting and secure to the frame using the staple gun. The thicker your batting, the deeper your tufts will be. Once the batting is secure, cover the whole thing with your fabric using the same technique.



Next you want to cover your buttons using the same fabric. You can find covered button kits at any craft or fabric store.

Next you want to begin tufting. Click here to read my explanation of the technique.



Lissa says that you need to take note of the location of the frame in your canvas before you decide where to put your buttons. Makes sense to me.



That's all there is to it! I love that the end result is so lightweight and easy to hang. You could do a larger one by either using one large canvas or nailing two smaller ones together. If you would like to read Lissa's post on the subject, click here. Thanks Lissa!

48 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I've recently fallen in love with the look of tufted headboards. Not sure DH will go for it, but a girl can fantasize...

Ruthanne said...

How cute! And it looks fairly easy.

Moi said...

that is a great thought! I made mine with plywood and it was heavy - this is a great idea.

Painter's Place said...

This is too cute...plus it looks easy. Sounds like a project for me!!

Kimberly Wright said...

Thanks for sharing this. A friend of mine is going to be doing this for his sister's bedroom so I am definitely going to be showing this to him.

Chris said...

Are you KIDDING me??? This is gorgeous!! My only problem is that I will need it for a queen bed. There's gotta be a more lightweight material than plywood, don't ya think? I'll have to look into it? Thanks for sharing, Kimba!

Amanda said...

THANK you soooo much for this! I am re-doing my daughters room & was thinking of making a headboard- but dreaded the heavy wood- I did a twin one with the wood & it about killed me hauling it & flipping it back & fourth. and her bed is a queen so that would have been even more challenging. So LOVE this idea!

Amanda said...

also loved the spray paint bunnies! I loved on a old vase yesterday http://theecklife.blogspot.com/2009/03/another-spray-paint-story.html

Decor To Adore said...

I am just putting the finishing touches on a linen covered painters canvas for my son's room to act as a headboard as I have had no luck in finding a true headboard. No buttons. I will be attaching a banner of flags across the top to go with his world traveler theme.

Melissa said...

Thanks for posting this, Kimba! I hope everyone likes it and that it makes sense! Remember, if you want to do a larger headboard, you can connect two or more canvases to make the right size. No one will ever know once it is covered with batting and fabric.

I feel famous now that I've been featured on A Soft Place to Land! :-)

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

Genius! I think I shall give it a try!

Victoria Hayden said...

This was a great idea! I am now thinking this is what I need to do for my boys bedrooms. I have also used painters canvas (purchased with a coupon) for memory boards. I can't wait to try this! Thanks for sharing!

~Victoria~

Joanna said...

What a wonderful idea, using a canvas! Thanks for sharing the tutorial with us.

queenbee said...

I have been wanting to tackle a upholstered headboard for awhile, maybe one day I will actually get to it.

Runner Mom said...

Very clever!! Thanks for the great tutorial!

I'm just about ready to start my Etsy shop, Kimba~ thank you, thank you for all of your kindess! I'll let you know when I have something there! I'm almost through with decorating projects too...I'll show you those tomorrow on my blog! Enjoy this day! We finally have sunshine!!

Hugs,
Susan

kathy said...

I love the way the small check gets all swirly in the last photo!

{darlene} said...

brilliant! love that it is easy to work with and hang.

Kasey said...

turned out really cute.

These Are The Days said...

LOVE IT!! So dang cute. Thanks Kimba and Lissa...wish I had a bed to do this on but I'll keep it in mind for when my boys finally grow out of their twin beds.

Unknown said...

Very cute!

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Thanks Kimba for posting this! There are about a million ideas that canvas can be used for. I should do a post on that... For those who have a Hobby Lobby, the canvas go on sale there at least once a month or you can print a 40 percent off coupon at HL's website. I order from Dick Blick art supply, and the prices are not bad. But a Michaels coupon would work well too. This is good information, girl!
~Misti

Ruby Red Slippers said...

You have NO idea how much I needed this!!! When we switched to a King bed (five years ago!) I didn't want to replace a whole bedroom set...so we have not had a headboard...I am so doing this-or rather, I am making my husband do this for me!!! Thanks!

jennykate77 said...

My mother-in-law did her own tufted headboard using a shower curtain! I know it sounds a little crazy, but it was WAY cute. She used a fabric shower curtain with stripes in blues and browns...really cool.

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I love tufted headboads and have seen it done several ways. This is a great tutorial. Thank

Maureen said...

That is so incredibly smart. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I saw (and am going to use) an idea to use a piece of peg board to make a tufted piece. It already has the holes drilled & is lightweight!!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Love your new look! When did that happen, I've been away too long! I have made my own headboards but never the tufted (because of how I make them) -- this is something I'm going to try next time for sure!!

Natalia said...

LOVE this!

trish said...

Brilliant! I really like the look of the bed that Lisa created! What a soft place to lean on while reading a book. :o)
Thanks for posting!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne
Ps. I spray painted two of my bunnies white and posted not too long back. :o) What a great look!

Michelle said...

I did a post on my blog awhile back about using a piece of pegboard instead of plywood. It's a little lighter and already has the holes in it. It might also be a little cheaper if you need a big size.

mylittlegems said...

ok I love your humor, your projects, your blog- just fabulous!!
Love the headboards and the ping pong wreath- want to try both!! Congrats- on Oprah reading your blog :) Love the bunny idea too!

kristin maynes said...

What a great idea!! And super easy...that's what I like!

I got my Brooch yesterday...LOVELY!! Thanks

Jill GG said...

LOVE this! Where we would be without the amazing and inspiring people that surround us here in blogland! So great!

Kim said...

This is a great idea! I'm looking for something for the headboard on our guest bedroom.

Anonymous said...

This looks like a million bucks, and it didn't cost too much. That's the best kind of project!
~Kim

Jill -Forever and Ever House said...

This is so cool!

Joyeful said...

oooohhhh, I've always wanted to know how to do this! Love it!

Unknown said...

vERY CUTE IDEA. MISHELLE

momof3girls said...

What a wonderful idea! I would have never thought about using a canvas painting frame. I also loved your previous post that I had missed about the pulled up tufted seating. Thanks for the great pics and directions!

art said...

Great place to shop for craft items is Pearl Art & craft. www.pearlpaint.com

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

Great tutorial! I want to do this for my guest bedroom.

It' an Evolution said...

That was the first thing I made for our home when we moved in. I love it and my husband even comments how nice they are since they do not take up floor space.
Enjoyed it!
Janet

Anonymous said...

Three different sizes of painter's canvas are on sale at my Big Lots in Charleston, SC. They are $3, $5, and $7. It might be worth it to take a look if you want to try this project.

Kris said...

Thanks for the tutorial. This is an awesome inexpensive alternative to a regular headboard and the possibilities are endless.

Love it!!

Have a happy day

Kris

Monkey Giggles said...

A friend of mine just made on of these out of a closet door.



Hey you do what you can out of what you have.

Debbie said...

Such a great idea! I love tufted headboards.
Thanks!

kari and kijsa said...

Thanks so much for this beautiful headboard!! Amazing job!!
blessings,
kari & kijsa

Anonymous said...

Nice project!
Before I did design work...I did visual design/display work for May Company.
I had to recover headboards every month!If I wanted to or not :-) lol
Part of the job...
Such a great way to have a new look with just a little fabric...or a 1 twin flat sheet if your doing a small head board.

Take Care,
kayellen