13 February 2009

A Tufted Headboard Project

Are you completely sick of pictures from BlissDom '09 yet? I have a few more for you. But they're a little different. I'm such a dork that I see potential projects everywhere I go.



Check out this beautiful and unique headboard from the Hotel Preston where BlissDom '09 was hosted. I love it! It makes such a big statement but takes up no space in the room. Of course, I immediately set about figuring out how to make it.



You could easily do this one yourself. I would start with a piece of plywood cut to the size of the fabric covered area. Then I would follow this tufting method to create the inner area. I would hang the fabric covered plywood on the wall and frame it with pieces of wood or trim that were painted or stained to match.



The hardest part would be hanging that big piece of plywood. But that's what The Hubster is here for, right?


post signature

35 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Heathahlee said...

I told Kathy when we got to the room that I would like to make one like that, too! Yes, you have given me the condition of "project hunter." Not that I mind. : )

Joanna said...

Great project! I can't wait to see what you come up with, when you do!

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't that be comfy? I love the look of iron headboards but the comfort factor turns me off, but this, well this says..."snuggle in and bring your book!"
~Robin Rane'
~All Things Heart & Home~

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

I've been thinking of doing this too! Let me add that to the list!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

I've been thinking about making one of these ...for several years! I just have never managed to gather the materials and actually make it! sigh

Betsy said...

I have considered a tufted headboard for awhile...gets my mind rolling.

Shell in your Pocket said...

Can't wait to see what you do:)!
-sandy toe

Christi said...

I've always wanted a big headboard like that - can't wait to see what you come up with!

Raise Them Up said...

You are absolutely right about what husbands are there for. I Can't tell you how many of my creative moments needed my husband's help to finish out!

I like this style of head board and have one I made myself from a kids bunk board. . . but NO where near as elegant!!

Anonymous said...

Go for it! A relatively easy project with a huge WOW factor!

Still Learning said...

I have always wanted to try making one of these!! One of these days....

Wendy said...

I've got an upholstered headboard on my project list. I like the idea of this tufted one. Hmmmm...

Lindsay @ Makely said...

Great headboard!

I made our upholstered headboard and I LOVE it. It's not tufted, but I like it all the same. :)

Anonymous said...

An easy way to make the tufted one is to use pegboard instead of plywood. The holes are already there and evenly spaced. Also ALOT lighter when it comes to hanging on the wall!!

Unknown said...

Oh, gosh that is so funny, I have gotten ideas from hotel rooms before too! The best part is when I think I could've done better... :)

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

We love that you see projects in the every day. :)I am getting the girls twin beds..finally and the ones I found are wood (going to spray paint them white :) but the head board isn't that tall. Trying to figure out what I can do with it...this has possibilities. :)

Chris said...

I'm the same way! I would've been pulling all over on that headboard. I don't think these projects look too difficult, but the tufting really intimidates me. Seems pretty difficult. I'll check out your link to see.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Look at you, bringing home the bed in our Blissdom room! That was a very neat room & I agree with you, that headboard would be pretty spectacular.

Becky said...

Hi Kimba!

Oh I am so excited...my hubby and I are beginning a bedroom remodel this weekend! This is the EXACT type of headboard we are needing to draw the eye upward in our space! We've been looking at purchasing one, but the nice ones are VERY expensive! I think this is a "do-able" project for us if I can get that tufting down. I do have a question though! What type fabric was covering that headboard? I am a seriously novice sewer, but I'd like to know so I could pick something durable. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Blessings :)

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Good idea, girl! That explains why you were ripping the headboard off the wall after everyone left. You were figuring out how to make it. That explains a lot. Just kidding ;-) of course.

Blessings,
melissa

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

I am contemplating a trip to Nashville soon. After seeing all the great pictures of the Hotel Preston I am thinking I might need to stay there!

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

Great idea! And no...I'm not sick of posts about Blissdom. They make me feel like I was there.

Scooper said...

Kimba,

Thank you for your sweet and encouraging comment! I must have accidentally posted my post before I was finished...so I'm not sure what stage it was in when you read it.

But thank you.

The headboard is gorgeous. And reminds me of chocolate.

mommy4life said...

Love that! Hmmm.....

I see a project coming on...

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

What a wonderful project. Love it!!!

Jen

Learning Spanish at 41 said...

The richness of that brown fabric is divine!

Anne said...

I have made several tufted headboards, and trial and error has taught me that the best way to secure it to the wall is to do all of the tufting through holes drilled in your plywood base with fishing line or something of similar strengh. Then poke a heavy-duty screw with a good sized head through the fabric and batting and the holes you made in the plywood base and screw 4 or 5 of them straight into the wall. Then hot-gule the covered buttons over the heads of the screws to hide them! Voila! Snug as a bug!

Mimi Sue said...

I find ideas for projects everywhere. I've been known to watch movies just to enjoy the decor. My friend made a similar headboard. She used a scroll saw and scalloped the top. It is really cute. Mimi

Unknown said...

Cool idea!

Inspired Kara said...

LOVE!

I know Apartment Therapy has a DIY for a VERY similar headboard

Sandy said...

OK, now we want to see what you do with this crazy idea. I can't wait :) Love it, fun reminder of Bliss, too. Happy V Day!

queenbee said...

I love looking for decorating ideas everywhere I go. I have been wanting to make a upholstered headboard for awhile, maybe i'll tackle it one day.

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

I do love a giant headboard! A chocolaty one is even better. I like Anonymous' tip about using pegboard. Smart idea!
~Misti

Pretty Organizer said...

Hubbies need to be needed... you're so thoughtful about his needs Kimba! Really, way to put his needs ahead of your own. What a gal... your guys self image must be very secure:) LOVE the idea and I am currently without a headboard... must. add. one. more. project...

Remodeling Guy said...

That looks like a neat project. I've seen lots of cool headboards that are hung on the wall like that. I might have to make one sooner or later!