19 March 2009

Step Away from the Computer: A Challenge



When was the last time you turned off all distractions for a whole day and spent that time focusing on things that matter?

A few weeks ago, in my Building a Soft Place to Land series, I confessed that I often struggle with priorities, particularly when it comes to my blog vs. my real life. It was a post that I didn't want to write, but I needed to write it.

I literally felt sick to my stomach before I hit "Publish". I didn't like what my words forced me to acknowledge about myself because I like to pretend that I have my priorities in line at all times.

Then the comments started rolling in. And they rolled and they rolled. Clearly, I was not alone in my struggle. If you haven't read the post and the comments, click here to see the whole thing.

Why am I telling you this? Because I have declared next Friday, March 27th as Unplug Friday. That gives you a whole week to prepare to Unplug from whatever it is that distracts you from what really matters. For me, that means no computer AT ALL. No blog, no email, no twitter. Nothing. For 24 hours. And I'll be doing things that have been getting pushed aside because they haven't been a priority. Maybe it will be a project...an outing...a nap?

Can you do it? Can you Unplug for 24 hours? Maybe for you it's not the computer...maybe it's the television or the blackberry or...or...or. We all have our own distractions. I'm challenging you to turn off those distractions for 24 hours.

Then on Monday, March 30th come back here and share your post describing your experience. Mr. Linky will be here so that you can link up. What did you Unplug? What did you do instead? Was it easy? Ridiculously difficult?

If you're going to participate or want to share this with your readers, go ahead and grab this super cute button designed by my designer-extraordinaire, Darcy.

So? Are you in?






98 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Chris said...

Really? A whole 24 hours? I don't know...but I REALLY will try. What a great idea!

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

Sounds great! Maybe a good day for spring cleaning!

Leila said...

It is hard to set priorities, isn't it?

What we want to do vs. what we ought to do?

And still have fun :)

Mom in High Heels said...

No! That's my birthday! I want a gazillion b-day comments! ;)

MOMSWEB said...

I'm in and I'm posting this on my blog. Bless you!

Ruthanne said...

Oh my! I have a long list of things I can do - this a great idea, Kimba!

Runner Mom said...

Great idea, chickadee! I won't be using mine either...I am subbing tomorrow!! Woohoo! Getting paid for something I love!

I am feeling the need to get outside and dig as well! There are plants to divide and conquer...anybody need some lamb's ear or irises?? Free!! Come to SC and dig til your little heart's content!!

Hugs!
Susan

See y'all on Monday!

Deidra said...

Great idea!
A couple of days during this Lenten season I've felt nudged to just turn it all off and I did. At first I wondered why the need to turn away from the computer, but it wasn't until I walked away that I realized how addicted (?) to it I am. I consider it a fast and (at the risk of ringing of self-promotion) I wrote more about fasting on my blog last Tuesday.

FeFe@Good Intentions said...

I'm doing this! It's been a huge conviction for me lately and I'm struggling with it.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

You are the bomb - good for you to make "unplug" in blogworld the cool thing. I must tell you. I was unplugged for almost three days last week when I led at this womens retreat. I brought my laptop, was all excited about getting things typed and ready so that I didnt always have to do it on the fly, and then no internet reception. I was SO sad, but it was refreshing and SP relaxing.I spent time in the Word, read a whole book, and got to know great women. The only thing better would have been to be at home getting some projects done but the Lord knew that wasn't what I needed as well. Yea for the 27th.

Christi said...

I'll be unplugging as well - from the computer, my main distraction.

Wendy said...

You know, I honesty think it would be a great thing. Darned if I work on-line from home (like a real job that pays me $$$ and pays my bills) so unplugging on a Friday is not an option. This is my struggle. I HAVE to be on line to work, so I find myself blog hopping in between doing the "real" stuff. Hard to balance for sure. This is a great idea though.

Flor Larios Art said...

Wow! 24 hours without a computer..That is going to be hard ...I'll have to go out all day...I do not know if I would be able to make it..but...hey!...why not give it a try...

Kat said...

I'm in...

trish said...

This is sure an amazing challenge. I feel like I am finding what my biggest distraction is, when I am faced with no longer having it. Ouch. :o) Reading blogs is like an addiction at times. Thank you for sharing your challenge with the rest of us. I want to come on board with you! Then see what everyone has to say the day after. :o)
Count me in!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Moi said...

I think that is a fabulous idea!

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

So, can I trade and make it on Saturday instead? I do normally turn off my computer on Saturdays and most of Sundays. My hubby only gets to be home for a very short time on weekends and I give him all the attention on weekends. Thanks for the encouragement to do what we must do!
~Misti

Shell in your Pocket said...

I can go days with out these things..but it's a great idea~

I have been thinking about all my blogging~ I have cut it down lately!
sandy toe

Anonymous said...

Oooh, why does my tummy feel funny? Maybe because I know that I should do this challenge, without a doubt.

Southern Charm said...

You know it's funny you say that because I have been working on "unplugging the TV" this week. I let myself watch one episode of NCSI and that was it. I spend the rest of the night with the kiddies. I have turned the TV off completely the last month during the day and we haven't missed it at all. It's funny how much you can get done when you're not glued to something. Today it's my computer.... shame on me.

Melissa said...

I'm in! What a great idea, Kimba. Not sure how great I'll be thinking it is come next Friday, but I need to do this~

Unknown said...

What a fabulous challenge. I think I can, I think I can...

Denise @ Sunflowers, Chocolate and Little Boys said...

Count me in...Im up for challenge. Such a great idea!!

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

I'll try...I think what I'll do is just not do any blogging or reading blogs or...Internet stuff (other than checking the weather). I will have to check email from Hubby though! Great idea!

Cassandra said...

I'm in...I know it will be hard...which is probably a good sign I NEED to do it....really enjoyed your honesty on this subject...I posted in my blog as well...

Willo said...

I am going to try!

Anonymous said...

I posted your button on my blog. I'm 15 and it has also been on my heart for a while that I get waaaay too much "screen time" between the the computer/blogs, TV, and Wii. So I'm gonna try. Maybe if it is not too bad I will even go "computer free" every Friday. We will see.

kristin maynes said...

I'm in and your button is on my blog! I wonder what I'll do with 24 hours of 'time?'...love this idea!

Anonymous said...

This is such a great idea. I am going to try- I hope I can handle it!!

Chicky said...

I have to wait a whole week?? I was hoping it would be today...but I am in!!!

Jesica said...

I'm in! So excited. This is the push I needed to get my booty out of the chair and busy. Now, I'll just be praying that we don't get another snow storm to derail all the things I can be doing that day.

Amy said...

I'll do it-but I was going to anyways that day because my mom is having surgery and we are traveling 8 hours to a wedding. But it should still count, right?

Kristen, pajama mama said...

i'm in!
-kristen

Unknown said...

Does it HAVE to be that day?? My hubby is going out of town for a few days and I'll have the computer and TV all to myself!! No March Madness! Can I do it the next Friday? That's my anniversary and I'm sure I'll have other and better things to do!

Anonymous said...

I am in and have posted your logo on my blog...no computer on that day...just sewing, sewing, sewing! I am actually looking forward to this. Thanks Kimba.

Sarah Mae said...

LOVE it! Great, fabulous, perfect idea!

Amber Filkins said...

You're brave. :) I think the whole idea of unplugging more often is a great idea. This has been on my mind lately, and I have been doing it. I've been making sure to get other things done first, or set a designated time period {like nap time}. Or just make it a point to close the laptop and get outside to swing Saylor & work in the garden.

Now....to give up an entire day??? Hmmmm...I'll have to think about that one. :)

Michelle said...

This is a great idea..I'm in!

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

Srsly. I'm in. Wait. I think I'm out.. oh you know what I mean.. right after I check my email one more time... ha!

Debra from Bungalow said...

Sure, I can do this. I saw Joyce Meyers on tv talking about having BALANCE in your life and getting your priorities in order.....too much computer time takes away from so many other ares of your life. Great POST!

Heathahlee said...

It sounds like a plan to me! I don't think I can unplug from email completely, because I get updates and things about the Worship Team there. Email is the form of communication we mostly use. But I'll check it, then get off, no blogging or unnecessary emails. And definitely no Facebook! : )

Gayle said...

I was unplugged for 5 days last week while out of town on a trip. I survived, but spent more time online than usual trying to catch up.

Joanna said...

Great idea! I am going to join in on this. Mine is the computer as well...It's gonna be hard!

Darcy @ m3b said...

Well, I think my clients might get mad at me for neglecting them, so I cannot NOT work... but I can certainly appreciate the personal pull away.

When you work online, there is always the Gmail dinging, emails coming in, etc.

It's a tough pull. I remember a time when we all weren't so instantly obtainable by our friends and loved ones. However did we live???

xoxoxo

Jenny said...

I need to do this, but I'm not sure I'd survive! LOL, nervously.

Young Momma said...

I found your blog from Denise @ Sunflowers, Chocolate & Little Boys. Such a cool idea. I think I could unplug from my blog for a full 24... which is really my main priority stealer... because I write my Friday blogs on Wednesday...

But unplug from e-mail? Twitter? My iPhone?? Oh goodness... I'll try! I'm gonna go share this on my blog. I like your blog, too! 700+ followers! Wowza!

L said...

I'm in. Except for work. I have to use my computer for work. But promise nothing personal so instead of checking my dashboard over lunch I will go have lunch with husband...or something.

;-)

Ruby Red Slippers said...

Im in-I have limited myself anyways to when my kids are sleeping or not home-blogging is the first "computer thing" I somehow fell into-I am on Facebook, but don't do anything with it, and Twitter just seems silly to me. "I am brushing my teeth..." I can't imagine anyone wants to know-
I will spread the word-because life IS about family, and fun...and blogging in small doses...

Rhonda said...

I remember your first post and commented there too. I have been convicted about this. I am still struggling so I will do this!! I do better some days and think I'm okay and then spend hours on it the next day...

Thanks for the challenge!

Anonymous said...

http://earthhourkids.org/

Brandi. said...

This is an awesome idea! I'm gonna try. :)

Lindsay @ Makely said...

I'm going to do it, but move it to the next day. That Saturday is our 5 year wedding anniversary, and THAT'S the day I think I should unplug. :)

Kim said...

This is such a great challenge! Yes, I'm going to have to do this!!

Joyeful said...

Love it! God is always speaking to me about balance! I usually try to avoid the computer on Sundays, but I stay up wayyyy too late on it while the kids are sleeping. (don't look at what time I'm writing this!) I am in!

Just Lisa said...

I'm in! Sounds like my family is oing to get a little more family time next week!

Gena said...

I'm ALL In! I so love this idea and needed the external push to give myself permission to declare a break. The world will not come to an end because I am unavailable. And all those websites I feel I NEED to visit or items I NEED to look up will be there when I come back. I'll also try to do without my phone, but darned, if that isn't hard with the kids and all of their activities!

Blog Lady said...

I left a little surprise for you on my blog! Have a wonderful day!

www.charlesandrachael.blogspot.com

jessiev said...

I've just recently been hooked on the whole blogging, twitter, facebook thing and I must tell you I absolutely love the blogs because they are so inspiring and the twitter and f/b because it keeps me in touch with friends and family that I normally wouldn't get to...but you are so right about finding balance. I can lose myself in it sometimes. It's good but it's also bad. You are so right. I'm unplugging completely on th 27th. Everything. Thanks for the inspiration!

WhisperWood Cottage said...

I'm right there with you! I've been away from all of it for a week or so. The thing that is hardest for me is catching up! I love to leave comments and visit blogs.

Amy

P.S....I'm having a giveaway to celebrate 100 posts! 3 signed photos and 1 large chandelier wall decal from Wilson Graphics! Thought you might be interested!! :)

The Polka Dot Pixie said...

This is a great idea! Count me in!!!! (I love your blog, by the way)

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I like this idea. Unfortunately, because I host my Hooked on Fridays blog parties, I can't step away from the computer that day, but I've been trying to keep it off on Saturdays lately to give myself a break.

When no one shows up for my blog party next Friday, I guess I'll know why! :-)

Unknown said...

I'm in! And what a challenge it will be!!! My email, Twitter, & texting are my life line...better start praying now for that one!

Unknown said...

Oh...is this going to be a regular feature??

Michelle said...

Brilliant. Thank you for the button! I'm definitely in, and I move that this become a monthly feature!
(I suppose I could do that on my own, but it's a lot easier with support, not to mention a cute button. :)

Debbie said...

I'm in! I had been wanting to do this I just needed a push. Thanks!

Debbie said...

I thought I better put what I am giving up and make myself accountable to someone. 24 hrs without my blackberry! Oh my this is going to hard.

Kela said...

I stumbled on your site just this morning via "Like a Warm Cup of Coffee" blog.
What a wonderful challenge. I don't want to let myself down.
This week, I must make a list of other things that I can better use my time for.

Emster said...

I am so in!!!

Scrappinfor3 said...

You know, if it weren't for being required to check my online email for work & the fact that I'm in online grad school. . I'd love to try this challenge. I'll have to attempt it for a full 24 hours when I have a week off of school & work. . .when will that be??? I'll reduce though:)

Mrs4444 said...

Great idea. I'm going for it, but on the Saturday (Friday would be too easy :)

debi said...

I love it!! I sooooo need this! And the date is perfect...my husband is going to be off work that day! thanks

Windy said...

I'm in! I have grabbed the button and am ready to go:)

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

I really need to do this. I'll make that commitment with you.

*katie said...

I'm in!! I spent way too much time on the computer yesterday - I neglected my sweet little 2 year old twins and guess what? I'm doing it again!

JenT said...

Ok. It'll be tough, but I'm in. It will help that Fridays we go to our library for reading hour. Hopefully it'll be warm this Friday and we'll go to the park afterward for a picnic. That will help me stay unplugged this Friday.

~SHANNON~ said...

Great idea! Just blogged about it!

http://milkandcuddles.blogspot.com/2009/03/plugging-into-life-by-unpluging.html

Anonymous said...

Oh I am definately in! I better do a quick clean up of my email. IF this goes well (or even if it doesn't), I might do this once or twice a month. Then maybe once a week! :)
THanks for the kick!

MeLynn said...

whole 24 hours? Yikes! I was all in unitl you said Blackberry.NOOOOOOOOOOO! I will have to really pray about this aand ask for strength. I'm gonna need it!

Anonymous said...

I am there. If we can't unplug from a computer or other electronic device for 24 hours , it is an addiction. It doesn't have to be food or drugs or alcohol to be bad for us..... We were with out internet for a month an I enjoyed it....

Anonymous said...

I am going to see if I can last 24 hours without the computer tomorrow. I hope I can make it! :)

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

I'm in, what a great idea!
~Michelle

Shannon said...

I'm in! We are on day 4 of no TV/movies here. It's actually been VERY nice. And I mean NO. TV. Just the sounds of the birds chirping, cars going by, twin toddlers running through the house, dogs barking, rain, hail hitting the tin overhang on the back porch.
-Shannon in Austin

Anonymous said...

I'm in too!! (Except for work stuff. Which depending on exactly what the work stuff is - I may even be able to say - it can wait!) Can't wait to see what we're all going to be able to accomplish away from the chains of the computer.

Thanks for sharing your idea!

HL

Rachel said...

I NEED to do this- thanks for the push :o) I'm spreading the word over at my place too.

Have a Happy Day!
~Rachel

Tabitha said...

I'm in! goodness, it's going to be hard--but I'm an all-or-nothing kinda gal, so maybe a whole DAY of it will be easier!!

Ehrenfelds said...

Thanks for this challenge! I am really in need of stay away from my computer. I think it will be hard but my kids are WORTH it!

The Need 2 Read said...

LOVE it! Grabbed the button and I'm in! I might be shaking and having withdrawals by the time it's all over...but this could make for a great break as I typically have "Sanity Saving Saturday" - post free. And imagine all the snuggling I can do with my 4 year old...

Many blessings!

Jamie

Becky said...

Count me in! Happy Unplugged Friday!

:) Becky

PS What do you do for blogging withdrawal symptoms? ;)

AndreaLeigh said...

I really wanted to participate but isn't this a little unrealistic for those who work? Why not do this on a weekend so that working women could participate?

Belle- Pink Cupcake said...

OH! I really want to try, that would actually be an accomplishment!

Britt said...

Im In!! I have tons that i need to get done tomorrow.

Michele Williams said...

I did it for four days last week....not computer and no TV....

Have fun...

Janelle said...

This is such a great idea. Thanks for listning to your heart and for being brave about posting this ;-)

The Decorating Voice said...

My hands will get a nervous twitch. This is scary. Can I do it? Marleen

Cher said...

OH, bummer! I just found this and it is Friday NIGHT! I missed it! and, i think I needed this desperately. Well, my husband needed it. My blog is devoted to helping others' love lives...and mine is getting pushed aside for my blog. Poor hubby. I'll make Saturday my unplugged day instead! I'll let you know how it went!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Sounds good but not sure I can do it and diet at the same time. Ha

Hope you will stop by my blog for a visit.

I am new to blogging and I am loving all my new friends.
I am giving away my first EVER BLOG PRIZE.
I have a gift basket business and it is the most requested gift over the last 15 years.

From the comments I have already received, it appears to be something a little different.
I have been so touched by the comments that I have decided to give 2 boxes . They will be the $100 deluxe size.

I really do want to bless people!!!

I have decided that giving is life at its BEST.

The drawing will be late afternoon on Saturday...wow that's tomorrow!

Amanda said...

Thanks. I appreciate the reminder and it was time well spent...

Beck's Bounty said...

I was inspired to turn of our computers 1 day every week. In the sidebar of my blog is a link to the graphic I used - OFFLINE DAYS.

Feel free to join me ... it is sooo nice to have a low-tech day every week, for our whole family. To tune our the web and tune in to all of the other blessings in my life.

Grace & Peace,
Tammy
http://www.becksbounty.blogspot.com