29 March 2009

Plugged In

I did it!

Did you? Did you manage to Unplug for 24 whole hours? Tell us about it. What did you do? Was it hard? Did anyone else notice? Will you do it again?



If you’re just catching up, Friday was a day to Unplug from whatever it is that distracts you from the things that really matter. Lots of us decided to literally Unplug from our online lives for 24 hours.

It was a really useful exercise for me. Not only was it probably the most productive day that I’ve had in years, it highlighted how much “brain space” my blog uses.

Every time I walked in the door, I was aware of the urge to check my email. Every time I finished a job, I had to fight the urge to see if my blogging friends had posted something new.

I had some great fun with my kiddos that involved their definition of heaven on earth…chicken nuggets, fries and the playground. I think The Hubster was a little puzzled by the whole thing in a “who are you and what have you done with my wife” kind of way. And I got rolling on a BUNCH of new projects that I’ll be sharing with you over then next few weeks. Woohoo!

Mr. Linky is here so you can link up your post telling everyone about your experience. I can’t wait to see what everyone did.

There are only 2 rules:

  • Please link back to ASPTL in your post so that your readers know what you’re doing and can be inspired too.
  • Please link to your specific post, not to the main page of your blog. Need to know how to do that? Click here and read #8. It’s really easy.

35 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Remodeling Guy said...

Can I write about how totally pathetic I am? I promised you that I would turn off at least one computer and I couldn't even do that! I'm sick and I need some help. There must be an 800 number or something...

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Me either. Pitiful, just pitiful. I wasn't feeling well, and didn't have enough energy to do any fun projects, so I turned on the computer for comfort. It was like my chicken soup for the soul. Sorry... I'll be calling that 800 number, too.
~Misti

Arleen @ Seasons for All said...

Just like Remodeling Guy, I couldn't do it either. Except when I was out running errands and spending time with my family, I used my free time this weekend to get caught up on email and preparing for future posts. Now I'm ready to go on all 3 blogs. I'll have to come back here to read what I missed by not unplugging...

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Kimba! I wasn't planning on doing it but I did it! I have cut waaaay back on the computer lately, so there have been many days I've almost gone all day anyway, so I just did it! The hardest part was the morning when my son was still asleep and then right before dinner for some reason. You know what's funny -- tonight is the first time all weekend I've been on for more than ten minutes. I was on a couple of times yesterday and just tonight. It was a great feeling of course. Thanks for "hosting" girl.

Free Art Printables said...

I didn't think it was bad at all! You can delete my first name on the linky . I've obviously never done this before ;) Thanks for a great and inspiring idea Kimba! Jen

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Well, I didn't unplug on Friday either, but shared what I did on one of my other unplugged days!

Glad you survived your experiment and got some more material for future blog posts at the same time! You are a multi-tasker! You go girl!

Happy week! Can't wait to see your projects!

Melissa

Melissa said...

I did it, Kimba! Well, until 6:00. Does that count? Thanks for doing this~have a good Monday!

High Heels and a Sippy Cup said...

I did it and it felt good! It was also harder than I thought it would be. Every free moment I had I would find myself heading to the computer, but I didn't give in. *smile*

Pretty Organizer said...

No blogging on Friday! I did check email... It's like going to the mailbox right?

The good news... I painted until I was blind. Well, the paint fumes made me blind and happy but this kitchen is almost finished! I posted a little sneak peak but I'll have the rest of it up by this week! Time with kids was awesome... as is should be.

You my dear are a revolutionist! A regular Paul Revere warning blogland of unhealthy blogging addictions! I love you for being real, for being bold, and for standing up for the family.

Big mommy hugs, chocolate kisses, and a bloggy pat on the back for your efforts!

Pretty Organizer

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

I did it! I did it! I did it! Woo! Hoo! Now don't ever ask me to do it again! LOL.
Blessings,
Kim

Emily@remodelingthislife said...

I did it and loved it!! thanks for the challenge, Kimba

Ruby Red Slippers said...

I did it! It was just a regular day at our house...but it was fun!

Carrie said...

I did it too! I was quite proud of myself! LOL. We got a lot done too. I never realized how much time I used for "just hopping on for a second."

Thanks Kimba!

The Nester said...

Did it and I got so much done! Cleaned and organized the craft room and thought crafty thoughts all day!

Mandi Shandi said...

I did and am so pleased that I did! This was just the reminder I needed, and I'll be doing this more often!

Wendy said...

Hey Kimba! It was really a great practice in self-control especially since I had to have the computer on for work. It took a lot of effort, but I didn't look at a single blog. I echo your sentiments about realizing how often you think about it. A lot more than I realized. Thanks for doing this!

june@craftyniche said...

I did it and it was so refreshing!

Jenny said...

I unplugged - just from blogs (mine and others) for the weekend! My kids noticed I wasn't on the computer as much. Thanks for the break and the eye-opener. I'm definitely going to set limits.

BlueCastle said...

Loved this challenge. It was actually easier than I thought. I'm seriously thinking about doing this one day each week. I found that my day was really peaceful and productive too. :)

Anonymous said...

I was about 60% successful. I am on the computer/internet for work during the day, and it's hard not to take a break from the drudgery of work and peek at the blogs.

I did much better on Saturday and Sunday, if that counts!

Willo said...

I did it! I didn't once turn on my computer. And as I mention in my post I was able to run about 6 errands, deep clean my front closet, take my boys to a playdate, and go out to dinner with my family! It felt wonderful! Thank you for the great idea!

Decor To Adore said...

I took a 10 day bloggy break and it was amazing! I got so much done. I am somewhat still on hiatus as my inlaws are coming soon and I need to finish up the spring cleaning. So I am limiting myself to 1 hour a day. It goes so quick!

Jesica said...

Thanks for the opportunity to practice self-control!

Magic Brush said...

I couldn't do it. I follow a blog called "My Charming Kids" by MckMama and I check her blog and recheck it all the time for updates on her baby.

Even if that were not the case... I don't think I could unplug yet. Shameful...

Anonymous said...

I did it :)

Emster said...

This couldn't have come at a better time! Thanks for the opportunity.

Valencia Jones-Edwards said...

I did it and enjoyed every moment of it. I decided to make one day a week an unplugged day to focus on Christ and my family in "real life". Thanks for the encouragement!

Heathahlee said...

I semi-unplugged. Meaning I had to leave email up but I didn't blog or facebook. And because the weather was supposed to get dicey I pulled up NOAA. But that was it. I have to say it was nice not feeling like I HAD to read everyone's posts or check out my facebook page. Hmmm, I might need to unplug more often! : )

Melina said...

I went unplugged all day and it was great! It was alot harder than I thought it would be, but it was definitely worth it!
~Melina~

Unknown said...

I am glad you were able to be so productive! It was hard for me to resist that urge to "just check the computer real quick" - but I'm so glad I did!

Thanks for doing this Kimba - great idea! And I really was so much more productive than I would have been, especially on a Friday.

Megan said...

This was just the thing I needed. Thanks for the encouragement!

Phaedra said...

I did it too! And it felt great! I will continue to have more "unplugged" days. Thanks!

NCJill said...

I did it too, Kimba! I was off for over 24 hours and had to brag to my family! LOL!

I didn't really do anything extra or "productive", but did have a realization. God showed me that I am NOT as important as I think I am. The world did not stop because I couldn't reply or post ASAP. Hmm...how about that?

The only thing I did miss that mattered in timing was that a two-yr old in my Sunday School class was admitted to the hospital late Thursday night with kidney cancer! (please pray for sweet Julia)However, her mom is an awesome blogger and made it easy to catch up with their progress. So, I figured I missed a 24-hr window to pray for Julia, however, again,was God just waiting for ME to pray? Of course not. Anyway, I will continue to be my blogless self for now and be content with that.
Thanks for the challenge, Kimba!

Laryssa Herbert said...

Kimba,
It was SO hard to stay off this silly computer! You’re going to really like your prints they are turning out beautifully! Thanks for the well wishes, I’d like to sell a million too! :-)

Darcy @ m3b said...

Well, I was curious to see how it went. I'm glad you were productive.

I was on the computer - but since my living depends on it - that wins. But I think once I whittle down my queue, I'm going to take not just a day, but a whole WEEK away from the computer. At least.

Did I tell you Handy Man and I are taking the boybarians on a Historic Rt 66 trip? We are.

Sans. Computers. Well... maybe computers to unload the 1000s of pics we'll take. But sans internet.

I cannot wait.

xoxoxo