31 March 2009

Family Room Redesign: Step 1

I couldn’t wait to start implementing the virtual redesign that Layla from The Lettered Cottage did for my family room. If you haven’t already seen the miracle that she did for me, then go check it out before you read any further.

While I was Unplugged on Friday, I spent some time straining every muscle in my body by dragging around my family room furniture. That couch is HEAVY! Thank goodness that The Hubster has big, strong muscles.

This is phase 1 of the family room redesign…moving around the furniture…and it didn’t cost me a dime.  Love it!

Before:

from dining nook into family room

 

Layla’s plan:

Area_Behind_Green_Sofa

After:

Living_Room

I don’t know why it never occurred to me to turn the green couch. It just goes to show you that anyone can get decorating block. The whole room makes sense now. And this simple change didn’t cost me a penny!

Before:

back wall of family room

Layla’s plan:

Layla Palmer Design 2

After:

family room makeover

I love having those chairs in the back of the room. They always felt too big where they were but now, I love them! We still need to move the TV but that will require a bit of wiring work.

Next up:

  • Rewire for the TV
  • Window treatments (I know exactly what I’m going to do. Love them!)
  • Slipcover for the big blue sofa
  • Board and batten treatment on the wall

Have you tried moving your furniture around lately? Try something new…you might find out that you love it! Check out how Chris from Just a Girl changed things up just by moving her furniture.

###########

The winner of the written consultation from Layla at The Lettered Cottage is Holly from Homebody. Shoot me an email and we’ll get you set up.

###########

 

Are you going to be A Woman Inspired on April 6th through the 9th? Some of my favorite peeps are going to be speaking at this amazing online conferenceMelissa, Allison, Lysa and Amy. I can’t wait to hear what these ladies and the 14 other fabulous speakers will have to say.

The best part is that you don’t have to get on a plane, take a road trip or book a hotel room. The whole thing is online! I’ll be there with my fuzzy slippers on and my hair in a pony. And if you can’t be there in real time, all of the sessions are recorded so you can tune in when it’s convenient for you.

You can get your ticket for HALF PRICE if you register by April 1st at midnight! So come on! Get Inspired!

45 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Christian - Modobject@Home said...

It's amazing what moving a few pieces can to! Looks great.

Lettered Cottage said...

LOVING IT! Can't wait to see the window treatments. They really bring rooms to life!

Layla

PS..Oh, and the board and batten walls are going to be DE-LISH!

Unknown said...

Hi Kimba,
I love the new arrangement. Amazing what one can do for free isn't it?
I agree, Layla is amazing.

Still Learning said...

I really love it! I think she made a wonderful plan for you! BTW, all that talk of the board and batten walls got me thinking & hubby had a couple of left over pieces from a job he was working on and I think I am permanantly borrowing them for a special room re do I am planning. So thanks for the inspiration. Looks great!

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

I love your changes! By the way, it's reassuring to know that even you get design block sometimes..seriously.

Thanks so much for sharing with us. I can't wait to see the finished product!

Betsy said...

What a change. I especially love the chairs at the back of the room.

Emily@remodelingthislife said...

Beautiful! Nice job on the change. I loved when Melissa helped me with my living room by just having me move my furniture. Makes such a difference.

Maya said...

Once a room makes total sense, and you can't imagine it any other way anymore, then you got it right!

Lana said...

This looks GREAT! It is amazing to see how just moving furniture can make a huge difference! :)

Katie @ makingthishome.com said...

Wow. That looks stunning. Thanks for the introduction to another fascinating blogger, too. Layla has such beautiful ideas.
Katie

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Kimba: I love this! It looks great! I had been thinking about getting her to do the same thing for me, I need a fresh perspective too! I'm gonna do it!

Lou Cinda :)

Juli said...

Isn't it funny how the right arrangement can make your furniture feel new and expensive. Love the new layout and can't wait to see the curtains.

Runner Mom said...

It looks great, Kimba! Can't wait to see your window treatments!

And, I did unplug on Friday! I may do it again next week since it's Spring Break here!!

Hugs,
Susan

sarah @ a beachcottage said...

oh wow what a great job, such a lovely transformation

Sarah

Decor To Adore said...

It looks great!
Please stop by and enter my Easter giveaway.

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

Great changes, I like the new layout!
~Michelle

Robin @ The Rendered Nest said...

Your room looks great this way...glad for you!

Kim said...

What a great look! It is amazing what someone else can "see"!

Allidink said...

Wow that is a great transformation. Love it!

All the best,
Allison

Vanessa Greenway said...

Great! Love it!

Chris said...

I'm not joking--it's like it's a new room already! Isn't that amazing!? I can't wait for the window treatments!!! Inspire us! :) (No pressure or anything!)

Holly said...

The new arrangement really makes a whole new room. I'm so excited to be the winner! Thanks so much!

Kasey said...

Where did you get that piece of furniture that is behind the couch. It has a lamp on it, looks black. I love it. I need something like that for my living room. Thanks.
kasey50@hotmail.com

Funky Junk Interiors said...

I'm avidly watching this one come to life. I am a huge fan of Layla's designing. :)

Donna
Funky Junk Interiors &
Our Extreme Home Makeover Experience

jessiev said...

It's amazing what a little furniture rearranging does for a room. In my faily we call it "furniture twirling"...it's a tradition actually...been doing it for years...I love it...my husband and sons...not so much, lol!

Jennifer said...

Hi Kimba,

What is the paint color of your family room? It is GORGEOUS!!

Thanks!

duchess said...

Lookin good! For future reference -those furniture slidey things work really well. My 11 yr old & I can move anything with those babies.

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Hi Kimba- Your room looks extra FAB! I have been itching to move my furniture into the middle of the room and off of the walls for quite some time. We have left it this way for years to give the boys their time to play, but I am ready for it to look like it should! I am taking back my family room, and soon! Hmmm maybe this weekend... Thanks for posting this, I am now inspired for a change!
~Misti

Kelli said...

Inspiring. Great new look.

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Kimba, it looks great!!! Like a new room, and for FREE! :) Gotta love that!! Can't wait to see the rest!

Amanda said...

it looks amazing! I love floating the couches- & the leather chairs with the console looks so inviting- makes me wanna sit there with a good magazine & a warm cup of tea-when can I come over? ;-)

Sallie said...

Looks great!! Inspires me to get busy and change things around a bit :-)

God bless,
Sallie

The Lunch Lady said...

I JUST re-arranged my living room!
http://thetopiarylady.blogspot.com/2009/02/time-for-change.html

Doesn't it feel great?

Mrs. Gray's Class said...

It looks awesome Kimba - amazing what such simple changes can do!

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

It great to be able to see the whole process. Love it so far!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

It looks great, Kimba! I can't wait to see the big white puffy clouds and the light blue sky through your new skylights. That will really complete the whole look!

Ha, APRIL FOOLS.

:-)

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

Looks great!!

Julie said...

Oh, my favorite hobby ever, moving around furniture!!!! And what you did looks amazing! Layla is my new secret BF!

Elle Jay Bee said...

Your room looks great! I especially love those leather chairs. Yes, furniture re-arrangement can work wonders. I cannot do it in my living room as it is so small and I don't like a sofa in front of my big window. Oh well...that's why I buy so many accessories to change things up!!

It's a great reason to shop...
Cheers,
Linda

Anita said...

This is really great. The plan worked out swell- and the price was right!

Unknown said...

I love it! It looks great!

You were responsible for me moving furniture while unplugged also! Did you see my room makeover with items I already had (linked up to plugged in)?

Good job!!

Katy said...

Looking GREAT Kimba! I love all of this inspiration.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Kimba, I just love the new layout, looks great! And yes, sometimes all it takes is a fresh eye to come in.

Southern Fried Gal said...

Funny how simple changes can make dramatic impact! I'm checking this out (really stalling) because DH is forcing me to make a decision on paint for the den today. Wish me luck!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to be at A Woman Inspired! Hooray!