11 February 2009

Why Is It So Difficult To Keep Up With My Work?

Today's post for our series on Building a Soft Place to Land was written by Sarah Mae from Like a Warm Cup of Coffee.


photo credit: Pandiyan


Do you ever wonder why it's so difficult to keep up with your work?
Do you ever feel like no matter what you do things just get messy anyway so why bother?
Do you ever feel depressed and overwhelmed at the work that just keeps piling up - whether it's cleaning, meal planning, or projects?

There is a reason that the laundry keeps piling up along with dishes, projects around the house seem never ending, and in general with all of our tasks, everything just seems to tend toward chaos.

Two words: The Curse

Oh let me tell you about that darn little curse that God pronounced on our domains as a judgement:

"Then to Adam He said, "Because you have listened to the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree about which I commanded you, saying, 'You shall not eat from it'; Cursed is the ground because of you; In toil you shall eat of it All the days of your life. "Both thorns and thistles it shall grow for you; And you shall eat the plants of the field..." (Genesis 3:17-18)

Because of Adam's sin, our domains rebel against us as we have rebelled against God. Our commands to rule, subdue, and be productive are all the harder to fulfill. Everything is heading toward decay, and we are striving against it. No matter how many loads of laundry we do, there will always be dirty clothes. No matter how many times we clean the kitchen, for as long as we live it will get messy again. This is all part of the curse. Work is not the curse, unproductive work is.

So how do we overcome the curse?

We have to keep our eye on the eternal value of our work. If we are in Christ, then everything we do not only has value here on earth, but it has value for eternity. We have work that was created by God for us to do, and we have the power, approval, and authority to carry it out. We also have to remember that the Lord is using our domains, and the struggles, to perfect us in our worship and service to Him.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1: 2-4

How we take care of our domains is all about our response to God. He gave us our domains, He gave us, as women, the ability to give life to them! We have to decide what our response to Him will be. Will we respond grudgingly, and feel hopeless because it's just another "rule" to follow, or will we accept our tasks with joy, giving thanks for all the goodness and blessings we have been given?

Remember, He knows our weakness, and He's not looking for perfection Taking care of our domains is something to cling to, to take joy and honor in, and ultimately is something that will lead us toward Christ like character and humility. And if you're anything like me, we need all the grace we can get!

Now go clean something for the glory of God! :)

Sarah Mae from Like a Warm Cup of Coffee is a homemaker who is inspired by Jesus, coffee, poetry, art, love, good music, kisses from her little ones in the middle of the day and lying in a field staring up into the wild blue...It is her desire to grow and journey with you as we learn together how to be godly wives and mothers.

post signature

50 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Kristi~The Slipcover Girl said...

Great Post! I used to think, "why cant' I keep the house clean?" And I realized, "because we're at home...there are people here...so it's going to be lived in." We homeschool and when we didn't, it stayed a bit cleaner...because no one was home. Thanks for the perspective...but I don't know if I can ever LOVE doing the laundry. I will teach my children how to do it...joyfully.

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

What a lovely post...as I sit in my kitchen dirty with the breakfast dishes! I'll give a loud AMEN!

Bee said...

You will never know just how much I needed to hear that today. I'm sitting here in a messy kitchen with too much laundry to do thinking, "I just don't feel like it."

I'm going to try and adjust my attitude.

Magic Brush said...

Love this post! Blessings,Jen Allwood

Monica said...

Wow. I think this post was written especially for me.

:)

Thanks!

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Great inspiration post. I will be wearing my pin today and thinking of you! Have a great Thursday.
~Misti

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

I guess one of the first ways to break that curse is to STEP.AWAY.FROM the computer....off to go do some productive work.

southerninspiration said...

Yes, there are so many distractions...but loving the home we are blessed with is important to making it a haven for the family, isn't it? Great post, and yes, I need to go love on my haven, too! We have to keep our expectations reasonable, too. We may want to live in a model home, but is that really reasonable when we have to LIVE in it???? Let's keep it real so we are not defeated from the get-go.

Suzanne

Audra Lynn said...

If there were no curse, we wouldn't need clothing anyway. Laundry wouldn't exist!

alison said...

LOL!! I never thought of it that way. Thanks for the perspective.

MommyDesiree said...

Thank you for letting God use you this morning...

...I have dishes to attend to =)

Flor Larios Art said...

What a coincidence...I was feeling horrible yesterday, complaining of being tired of cleaning the house, cooking, working.... and to see this great post today make me feel I am not alone...
Thank you so much...
Flor

Wendy said...

What a wonderful post. I love to remember that creating a warm and comfortable home for my family is fulfilling my calling as a daughter of God. It makes the mundane a little easier to bare.

Momto5 RachelJoy Photography said...

yes, always good to remember the curse....

you have such a special blog here...

Anonymous said...

This is exactly what I needed to hear this morning...Thank you so much for letting God use you beautifully!

Rhonda said...

Thanks for the post! I needed to hear that as my counters are filled with dirty dishes. My dishwasher quit Wednesday night!! Ugh. I do not like washing dishes or doing laundary...but I have to and need to... I am a homemaker...it is my calling at this time and I need to do my best for the Lord! I agree with Jen that we should STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER... I'm getting off my time consuming blog (which I love)and getting to work!
Have a blessed day!

Decor To Adore said...

That you for keeping my perspective where it should be.
I shall now put on some praise music and scrub the toilets. :)

Katy said...

Wow Kimba, this post really really spoke to me and I'm sure many many other women. With 3 kids under 6, I have a lot of housework and laundry to keep up with ...some days I just put it off and think, "I'll do it tomorrow." Girl, thank you for this....I'm going to get some things done NOW.

Katy said...

Wow Kimba, this post really really spoke to me and I'm sure many many other women. With 3 kids under 6, I have a lot of housework and laundry to keep up with ...some days I just put it off and think, "I'll do it tomorrow." Girl, thank you for this....I'm going to get some things done NOW.

Runner Mom said...

I have way to much to clean, but I will...for HIM!

KImba, if you have a minute, I would love for you to visit my blog. I have a decorating dilemma!!
Thanks!
Hugs,
Susan

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing, something we al need to be reminded of. It's so easy to get bogged down in our tasks and forget why we're here.

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

Awww, that's so nice, and perfectly timed today. I've been stressed this morning by the pile of dirty clothes and random papers/magazines at home, and all of the unfinished projects I have to do at work...and really don't feel like doing. Thanks!

jennykate77 said...

I totally needed this today! You have been a true blessing. Just this morning on my way to work, I was mulling over the possible reasons that my house NEVER seems to stay clean. Getting frustrated the more I thought about it. Annoyed by the fact that I couldn't find the energy or want to that I need to get it clean. However, you just put it all into perspective for me. Thank you! Now, when I get home from work this morning I'll remind myself that my cleaning gives God glory. That's good.

Amanda said...

Thank you for taking the time to put this post together! I know I needed to read this today.

Have a blessed Thursday!

Unknown said...

Great post! You all have such a wonderfully encouraging hearts. It is truely a blessing to read uplifting words. I can only say as a mom with 2 teens left at home, it does get somewhat easier as they grow older. I am so thankful that even now my only job is homeschooling and homemaking. I am thankful that my husband honored the Lord, by sharing in my desire to be home with my children. Even though I don't work outside my home, I still do all things to the glory of the Lord. We rearly have visitiors,so no one even sees our home, but my family does and the Lord does. So many blessing you all of you just getting started, in this lovely journey we share with the Lord. Now I need to do some dishes. :)

Reading Rosie said...

Thanks for the reminder. My perspective always gets out of focus in winter. We've had sickness for two weeks and things are a bit out of order in my world.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading you post! Every room of my home has at least 14 Legos in it! I sometimes think I will go crazy trying to keep one step ahead of the mess and then at other times I thank God for the Legos and I know that they won't be laying around for long. My son will outgrow them and won't be little anymore. I want to cherish every moment and not worry about the little messes so much.

Melissa said...

Great post! I love "work is not the curse, UNPRODUCTIVE work is." I guess we decide if we make it productive or not by our attitudes and seeing the eternal worth of it all. Thanks for the insights and inspiration, Sarah!

Shilo said...

What an encouraging reminder! Thanks!

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

Power. Approval. Authority. I'm printing this post off. I absolutely needed it to the core of my being.

Unknown said...

Yay - my friend Sarah Mae is here! You know that I need to hear this post daily! Thank you for your encouraging words. Now I must go work on the laundry. :)

Dawn Parsons Smith said...

Fabulous post! I needed that today!

Amanda Jo said...

Fantastic post Sarah Mae! This is just what I needed to hear!

{darlene} said...

yes. yes. and yes.

It never ends... so why do it.....

Love these words of motivation, and inspiration, from the ONLY source that never taps out!

Dar

Small House said...

oooh, Thank you for sharing. It helps to keep things in the right perspective as we take care of all of those we love around us.

Have a great day.
Sandra

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

I soooo needed to read this today, thank you!
-Jill

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Thanks for a beautiful post. Linda

mommy4life said...

Thanks for a great reminder

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Lovely post and great perspective!!!

blessings,
melissa

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

There must be a way that you can see me sitting here in my pj's right now.

I am SO convicted!

Amy @ Living Locurto said...

Great post. I have given up on trying to do everything. In the end it doesn't matter what we've achieved in terms of work here on earth.

My best friend's family home was destroyed in the Oklahoma tornados yesterday. That was a BIG reality check for me. Thank God my friend's family was not hurt. It amazing nobody was killed after you see the photos of their home. We all need to step back and look at what's most important in our lives. It's hard not to get caught up in the stress of everyday life.

Here are photos of their home if anyone is interested:
http://www.livinglocurto.com/index.php/2009/02/oklahoma-tornado/

Shea said...

Thank you for that post. Its much needed.

Heathahlee said...

I do love me some Sarah Mae.

Jess @ Just a Blink said...

Knowing that God had work in store for us before the fall of man is so important for me to remember.

Thanks Sarah Mae.

Since all us "builders" are "in this together" and in case you are looking for a bit of reader direction...

I'd love to hear about restoration, peace, beauty, rest, value of building a soft place to land, order, and joy in future Thursday posts.

Keep them coming! Thanks for your commitment!

Smelling Coffee said...

What a great word! I was feeling overwhelmed just a moment ago, and the Lord used these words to set my focus back on thankfulness that I "get" to do all of these things to take care of our home and family! Thanks for the encouraging reminder!

Pretty Organizer said...

Perfectly Pronounced... Kimba, Sarah's a keeper! What a great post. Sometimes its hard to find joy and beauty in dirty laundry and uneaten dinners... but, I'm doing my job for all the right reasons and I'm doing my best... gratefully, that's all HE requires of me. Thank Heaven for Grace!

I posted on recognizing our gifts as women... Love you girl!
Pretty Organizer

Anonymous said...

Ouch - those are MY toes that just got stepped on - and I'm grateful - thank you for reminding me of these things.

"Intentionally Katie" said...

Great post, Sarah Mae!!!

Allie Z said...

I love this post. This is so refreshing. There are many days when I can barely keep up. Working full time, tending to a home, raising littles, keeping a healthy AND happy marriage, etc. :)

Honestly though, life is good. It's amazing the pleasures that come from keeping a house a home. Thanks for the encouragement!!

Precision Quality Laser said...

I think so often we tend to think of the curse as WORK rather than as Sarah Mae stated, unproductive work.

But let's be honest...doesn't laundry count as unproductive work? lol :)

Great post!