03 February 2009

Now I'm Feeling Some Love

{Big sigh of relief}

I have a working computer, for now. Apparently, there was some sort of problem between the external hard drive, the cd drive and my camera.

I believe the technical description was that the whoosefrazit wasn't talking to the flingleflopper. Frankly, I don't see what they could possibly have to talk about anyway. But they've kissed and made up for the time being. Which means that I can show you some Valentine's pretties!


I don't usually do a bunch of Valentines decorating. It always feels like I just get the Christmas stuff put away when old St. Valentine sneaks up behind me and reminds me that I'm the only female in the house. I usually just blow a raspberry in his general direction and carry on. All the while secretly hoping that this is going to be the year when The Hubster decides I need something fabulously sparkly.

But this year, I'm feeling a little extra lovey-dovey so I thought I'd look around the house for all things red and heart-shaped and make a Valentines display for the kids (it's always for the kids).

Scissors, scrapbook paper and some ribbon and we've made a Valentines garland.

While they were at it, I let them cover the mirror with their handcut hearts.

Some red felt as a runner and a framed treasure from my older son.


A stack of books covered in fabric (old school style like when you were jr. high) and a few heart shaped Christmas ornaments.

Apothecary jars filled with more scrapbook paper hears and candy. I predict the candy will be gone by tomorrow.

Not a dime was spent (except on the candy) and that's lovely.

Don't forget to swing by and see Darcy at Life with My 3 Boybarians. She's giving away one of my brooches!



post signature

33 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Sarah with Duck Soup said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has problems with my flinglewhatsit and doodleflipper :)

Love the Valentine decor!

Vintagesquirrel said...

Hi Kimba,

It all looks great. One year, I filled a jar (a much bigger one, I might add) with conversation hearts, and my sons had eaten them all by the end of the day. I might try it again, but this time I'll add a sprinkling of cayenne pepper to prevent them from "disappearing" again.

I'm looking forward to meeting you this weekend. I ollw you on Twitter, and have heard all about your "bangs fiasco." Then, I come to your blog to see a picture of you with a beautiful haircut.

I'm sure they really stand out and even look strange to you because you're just not used to them yet. I really think you look wonderful with bangs, and they really focus more attention to your eyes.

I gotmy hairct last week, and think it's too short, but my husband reminded me that: "You always hate the way your hair looks right after you get it cut." It's true! So, I'm betting by Friday, we're both loving our new hairdos (or at least having too much fun to give a hoot about our hair!)

See you in Nashville,

Michelle

Georgia Girl said...

I love the simple look...it is just me and so easy to make to. I bought some glitter hearts for a buck today and thought it would be cute for Lexi and I to make a garland.

Betsy said...

Looks great and I am pulling for you getting something super sparkly too.

Anonymous said...

I have a small jar like yours and I did the same thing, I put conversation hearts in it! great minds think alike :-)

Tardevil said...

Love all of your v-day decor...especially the picture you son made! I'd keep that FOREVER!

Anonymous said...

Your valentine decor.... simple, sweet and best of all inexpensive! We like that!

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Lisa said...

LOVE THE "I LOVE YOU" IN THE FRAME. GLAD YOUR UP AND RUNNING AGAIN. HUGS FROM MAINE

http://sophie4me.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I love it! Simply pretty!

Darlene said...

Glad your computer is up and running again. LOVE all your cute Valentine decorations!♥

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

LOVE the tiny apothecary jars. Where oh where did you ind them? Everything is lovely...even if it's just for the kids (yeah right)!

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

Wish I had some little jars! I too was faced with no decor for Valentine's day...I blogged today about a great site I found!

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

I have apothecary jars filled with candy too...but my children (and husband!) have been warned not to eat the candy hearts. They're from 2001 and I think someone would break a tooth if they tried to eat them! LOL!

~ Sarah

Unknown said...

Great decorating ideas! Maybe I will try and put out some hearts at least.

Glitter & Bliss said...

I love all your Valentine decor. So wonderful. Also, I like your bangs. I think they are perfect. I would love to get the guts up and cut myself some bangs. I love the idea of hiding my forehead wrinkles. LOL!!!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

All of your decorations are so cute! I never used to decorate for Valentine's, but I am kindof into it this year.

How are you feeling about your bangs now? I think they are so great!

Jen

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that your computer is all better. Love the Valentine's decor. I'm with you, I just can't get in to more holiday decorating so soon after Christmas. Blogging helps, though. :)

BECKY said...

Aaww, how cute and fun!! Glad your thingdingy and whosy whatsit got fixed!! ;o) You can continue to sprinkle sunshine around blogland!!
Have a wonderful Wednesday!!
Blessings,
Becky

Holly said...

Okay, Kimba, I have those exact two apothecary jars. Exactly! Which isn't all that remarkable, I suppose, except that I got the smaller one at the Salvation Army a couple months ago ($.90) and it had a plastic flower arrangement in it that was, without a doubt, from the '70s. Is yours old?

Anonymous said...

Kimba,

I have to admit I have been a lurker on your blog everyday for the past three months, feeling a little inadequate to post a comment because "one day when I grow up" I want a blog like yours!! but....I did have to come out of lurksville today to tell you that I LOVE your Valentine decorations!! You inspire me all the time and make me laugh!!

Pretty Organizer said...

Yeah lady! I just went out and loaded up on heart shaped doilies of varying sizes and colors for the kiddos. I'm letting them glue, and glitter, and decorate the house 'till their "Hearts" content.

My best idea for V. Day was for my hubby... we were dating. I cut a bunch of hearts and looked up all the scriptures with heart or love in them and copied them down on a heart. I plastered his room with hearts, chocolates (I think I ate those later) and even bought a pink sheet to throw over his bed and drew a HUGE V. Day greeting for him on it... he's kept the sheet to this day as a reminder. I think that was the last real hoopla I did for V.Day. No sparkels here either. Hubby protests all greeting card holidays except for Mother's Day.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your award!!! How exciting!

Shell in your Pocket said...

I love the last pictures...candy hearts are so fun!
-sandy toe

Anonymous said...

I feeling the love too just looking at all of those hearts! What makes it extra special is the love that the little ones put into it...sweet~ Im packing my car tonight,just cant wait!!!!

Wendy said...

Cute Valentinesey stuff!

SoBella Creations said...

Sweet Valentines projects.

~Sandy said...

What a neat idea!!!!! Everything looks so pretty. I'm glad that the kids joined in on the fun. They are making sweet childhood memories.
Hugs, sandy

~CC Catherine said...

Hi Kimba! Lovin the hearts all over the place! ;) ~CC Catherine

Tabitha (From Single to Married) said...

so simple yet they really liven look great. I especially love the apothecary jars filled with candy.

Southern Fried Gal said...

Fun Valentine's day decor. I'm with you - I usually don't do much other than with candy but I have been inspired this year! I may try the cute garland with my boy. Oh and I used red spray paint this week for my February front door decor! I posted about it this morning. Thanks for all the inspiration!!!

GingerLouise Clothing said...

So pretty!

Heathahlee said...

Hey! I've seen that heart on the apothacary jar somewhere, but I just can't place it... : )

By the way, I TOTALLY had a Diet Coke moment today and forgot to thank you for MY heart! I almost squealed when I saw it, but Kat was sleeping (I didn't leave Susie's room until after 1:00!), so I figured I'd wait until this morning...put it on my luggage, and promptly forgot to hug your neck (is that a completely Southern phrase?) for it. Anyway, I LOVE it! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I love the framed "I Love You". Very cute idea!