04 February 2009

Taming the Art Supply Clutter

The mountains of crayons, markers and other artsy stuff finally got the best of me. None of it had a permanent home in our house and much of it ended up on a high shelf in playroom (because I was always concerned about graffiti if the kids had unfettered access to markers).



We're slowly moving out of that stage and I wanted to have the everyday art supplies accessible and handy. A quick visit to the dollar store netted me these small square baskets that are the perfect size to line the sideboard in my kitchen. I removed the handles and got to work.



I brought a few of them home and spray painted them green. Who knew you could spray paint baskets? Brilliant! I'll tell you who. Just a Girl knew and now she's opened up another world of painting for me.



I wanted to fancy up the baskets a bit, so I cut about 6 inches off the long side of some clearance dishtowels. Hot glue holds it in place and that's it! I know that some of you would have sewed a beautiful liner for the baskets but not me. They're going to get beat up by little boy hands so it wasn't worth the 64 hours it would have taken me to sew something.



The dish towels weren't quite long enough to wrap the whole way around the basket but I don't mind. Boys. Remember? They don't care. And no one else can tell.



They're perfect for holding crayons, markers and floam (we love the floam at our house). The larger baskets on the bottom shelf will hold coloring books and paper. It's a perfect set-up for the "witching hour" when the kids are getting crabby and I'm trying to get dinner. They can help themselves to an activity.

Swing by The Shabby Nest to see the Taming the Kid Clutter party being hosted by Wendy and Pretty Organizer. Lots of really great ideas!

post signature

78 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Tori Leslie said...

Great idea, I think they look great and so practical!

Shell in your Pocket said...

Very cute idea!
-sandy toe

Unknown said...

Very nice! And I would have just got the baskets plain and left it at that - so glad to see the painting and towel-decorating ideas!

Ribbonwood Cottage said...

This is great! You know glue guns are a power tool and every woman should know how to use one. I myself end up getting hot glue on my hands (ice water anyone?) but I love to glue projects! Love the kitchen towel liners....brilliant...had to be a woman's idea!!!!
Debbie

Letti said...

I love this idea, Thanks for sharing it.

Joanna said...

Never would have thought to paint the baskets...Oh and I wouldn't have sewn them either. *smiles* They turned out great and what a fabulous idea!

Tiffany said...

Great idea. I have spray painted one basket so far and eventually will do more, I am sure. LOVE the clearance towels. Just like a previous poster, I always burn my fingers using hot glue. ALWAYS. I also always glue my fingers together when I get out the super glue. It's ok, it's worth the pain. :)

Brindi said...

Love it. They look great on your shelves. What a great way to hide the clutter.

(Stopping by from Susie's at Bienvenue. She has a link to you.)

Pretty Organizer said...

Girl, here I'm reading Nester's blog and congratulating her on her big nomination and low and behold... I pop over to see the competition and YOU're there too! ALL of my dearest friends are nominated! Melissas up in a different category! Hip hip hooray. Here's the link babe!http://www.internetcafedevotions.com/2009/01/top-100-christian-womens-blogs-2008.html

Love Ya,
PrettyOrganizer

SarahJarnagin said...

Awesome post!!!! Great idea.

Lisa said...

YOU BLOG FRIEND ARE WHAT WE CALL A SMARTY PANTS. HOT GLUE AND ALL. I LOVE WHAT YOU DID. INEXPENSIVE, SIMPLE, TIME SAVING, ADORABLE.
HUGS FROM MAINE

http://sophie4me.blogspot.com/

Inspired Kara said...

CA-ute!!!

These would be great for a gift basket too.

love.
love.
love.
in love.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, this is a perfect idea! I love how you prettied up the baskets and organized at the same time. Wonderful!!

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

Great idea! They are so cute too. And, there's no way I would have sewn liners either. Puhleeese! :)

Wendy said...

Thanks for the post Kimba! The Server for the Mr. Linky website went down for a bit, and half of my blog disappeared! I am glad it's back up now. You're comment was very cute!

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

Fantastic idea! I'm always afraid to let my kiddos have access to them as well, but sometimes they need to :)
-Jill

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

That is a great idea! I was looking at my kids supplies today (inspired by the Shabby Nest) and was at a loss...thanks! It's off the the dollar store!

Steph said...

Those baskets are so cute!

bonnieboatwright@gmail.com said...

LOVE this! Love the green baskets. I'm finding all sorts of new uses for baskets these days. Thanks for sharing!

Pretty Organizer said...

Oh I love it! Kimba... the green and the black are show stoppers! I don't have any dishtowels worthy of displaying... the make my mother die of shame every time she comes (also the only time I buy new ones:)

Thanks for the excellent post and the honorable mention! Love ya girl... wishing I were in that bathtub in Nashville! Hubby's outta school tomorrow so if you hear yodooling (that spelling gadget thing hates the way I spelled yodol, yodull?.. aw heck!) from the rooftops- It's me!

Amanda said...

love it!! they love great.

duchess said...

How cute they turned out.
Another great idea by Kimba.

Unknown said...

Great idea. I'm waiting until my youngest two are out of the "grafitti on the wall stage"!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

hee hee - I offered Pretty Organized the bathtub...said you girls would fix it up real nice for her ,but I guess she couldn't swing it. :)

Love this....but I am still stuck on the fact that you didn't think of spray painting baskets? What..you? The Queen? Surely, I misread, back to reread it. :) I spray painted some this Christmas and then hot glue gunned fringe along the edge...too cute...added some Homemade Gourmet treats, but now I'll have to substitute the crayons. :)
See you....less than two days. :)

Shop Without Money Sisters said...

Love your ideas and your sense of humor! Go Glue Gun. I've been thinking about painting some baskets for a long time - thanks for the inspiration!

Holly said...

Very Montessori (helping themselves to an activity)--looks cute! I'll tell you what my kids loved and often kept them occupied during the witching hour: a (slightly larger than a shoebox) plastic bin filled with rice and/or beans and some scoops and stuff. Yeah, I had to sweep it up, but it kept them busy for a long time!

joyh82 said...

Love how the baskets turned out that you re-did. Great job!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Uhhh...brilliant!! I love it! I'm always saying that here...That cabinet is beautiful too!

The Howe Family said...

Love it! Cute, simple, & practical...not to mention, affordable!

Valarie Lea said...

Those are awesome!!!

Mrs. Gray's Class said...

You're just so clever!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!

MamaHen Em said...

So pretty and practical. Around here I'm obsessed with rubbermaids and lids. They stack soooo nicely.

Sandy said...

i'm feelin' the green! love it!

Michelle said...

That's a great idea! I'd love to have a piece like that in my dining room, if my dining room had space and I didn't have a 1-year-old who pulls everything out that's not glued down. Ahh, guess it'll just have to go in the idea book.

Lana said...

Oh I love this! What a CUTE idea!

~ Lisa @ AbidingThere~ said...

Ingenious! Love it!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful ideas about the dish towel liners! I think it all looks great!

RN and OSHP said...

LOVE the dish towel liners!

Sallie said...

You are so funny! I love that it would take you 64 hours to sew those. Great idea and very practical. I wish I could be past the "put them on the top shelf stage"

Sara's Sweet Surprise said...

I've just strolled into your lovely blog for the first time today. I had such a wonderful time. I peeked through your past post all the way back to December. You are a very creative inspiration. I look forward to bookmarking you as my newly found favorite. Thank you for sharing your charming ideas!

Sweet Wishes,
Sara

Jennifer P. said...

I'm glad your computer is working again! Gave us all a scare I'm sure :)!

Now I must go find some baskets to spray paint :)!

Runner Mom said...

Very cute...love that spray paint!
Hugs,
Susan

Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry said...

Wow your baskets turned out great! Love the cheery dishtowel liners...

Anonymous said...

Great use of your sideboard! Baskets can definitely be painted they just have to be turned every which way to get in the cracks and crevices. Yours look awesome. Great idea with the dish towels!
~Misti

southerninspiration said...

So clever and cute and cheery!
Great job!

Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Very cute, Kimba!

Di

::Traci:: said...

ohhh ... I love this! Such a creative soul you are!

Meredith said...

Love it!!! The dollar store is quite awesome, isn't it?

Kristi~The Slipcover Girl said...

those are super cute! great idea~

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Great sideboard use. I have a black dresser filled with art supplies that I posted about today.

~ Sarah

Erika said...

Awesome ideas!!

Unknown said...

I'm really loving the kitchen storage ideas. That "witching hour" can get ugly! Love the basket liners.

Carla said...

I love this, I love the dishtowels, even if you had to use material hot gluing it onto the sides only is so smart.
You wouldn't have wanted a liner in these baskets they would have just gotten messed up by markers and crayons anyway. So just looking pretty on the outside is perfect.

Jennifer said...

I love it! What a beautiful way to organize!

Jodee said...

Those baskets turned out soooo cute! I love the clearance towels too!

Anonymous said...

Love it! Great idea.

Our Complete Family said...

Kimba~ I'm a bit behind in blogland so this is for a few of your awesome posts girl!
Your bangs are super cute! Love that look on you!
The Val day decs are fun and fresh and these baskets? What a wonderful idea with the green paint and the liners you made? Adorable!!!

Serendipity said...

Love the dollar store! Very cute idea, practical, and not expensive! It looks fabulous, and very inviting for little crafters!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Kima --

Wonderful idea! You have opened up a whole new world for me with the glue gun idea! Yay!

Thanks so much!

Jen

Just Lisa said...

What is floam? Do I need to get some? Will a 3-year-old like it?

I am intrigued by anything that has a name like floam!

Pretty Organizer said...

HEY You made Blogher headlines with this post!!! Whoohoo Bloggy Baby! Just wanted to wish you well at blissdom. Told Nester she's in charge of hugging you for me, you hug Melissa and Melissa will hug Nester for me... and don't leave Jen out!!! Have a great time!!

Love ya girl!
Pretty Organizer

Heather | Cookie Mondays said...

Such GREAT ideas! :)

Beckie said...

Yes, 64 hours is the correct estimate for sewing liners! Glue was a great idea.

I just have to tell you that the title of your blog is very inspiring to me. I like the idea of creating a Soft Place to Land for my family.

Ruby Red Slippers said...

I am doing that soon! Love it, and have the same buffet in ivory, and can't make it look as organized like I would like...Now I have it! Thanks!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Kimba, that looks great!! Love the baskets :)!!

LuLu said...

Paint, baskets and dish towels doesn't get any better then that!
wonderful.
LuLu

Still Learning said...

I love me some painted baskets. Especially with pretty fabric.

Karen said...

That looks adorable! Makes me wish I had a place for baskets that size.

sweetfunkyvintage said...

Such a nifty idea! I have a drawer that contains our disaster area of art supplies. It isn't user friendly at all!! I am going to have to borrow from this idea!
missy

Jennifer said...

I love your black craft table. I need one of those! As always, thanks for sharing.

Infarrantly Creative said...

Hey I made some basket liners that took about a half hour each in case you ever want them

http://www.curbly.com/DIY-Maven/posts/5284-Curbly-Video-Podcast-How-to-Sew-Basket-Liners-Without-a-Pattern-

Martha said...

I love the baskets! They turned out great! :)

Thanks for the great ideas! Martha

Becki said...

That looks really lovely! The dollar store is on my list of stops for the weekend, that's for sure! Thanks for sharing your idea. Becki

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

I love how fresh those baskets look!

DESJ and Company said...

LOVE THEM!!!!!!

Robin Johnson said...

You are so clever. I love it

dmvoccola said...

Why didn't I think of that? So glad you did! Love them!