05 December 2008

You Can't Make This Stuff Up

If you're visiting from The Nester's Garland Show & Tell, welcome! Well, welcome not matter where you're visiting from. Here's the rest of the story...

The story of The Most Wonderful Garland on Earth is not quite finished. After 24 hours of blissful admiration, this happened. The horrors! Did I mention it was 6am? The clock proves it.



Here I was, enjoying a bit of quiet time before the rest of the family awoke and my beautiful garland came crashing to the ground (half of it anyway). Apparantly, I needed to use a few more 3M Command Hooks to hold that 25 pound baby up there.



But wait! There's more! To get the full effect of this picture, you need to picture me laying flat on my back in the middle of the floor (wearing my fluffy pink robe, of course). Because when I hopped up on the hearth to fix my beloved, I lost my balance, pulled down the rest of the garland and found myself flat on the floor with a wrenched back and a sprained wrist. Decorating is dangerous business. It was pure bedlam.

Have I ever told you that I fall? A lot. Way more than a 37-year old woman should fall.



So I spent the next couple of hours rehanging and reassembling my beautiful garland. I think I like it better the second time! And I figured out what to do up on the mantle. You all made some wonderful suggestions but I really loved the one made by Tardevil, partly because I had all the stuff to make it happen.



The barn star was yellow. Now red. And the reindeer came from the Christmas clearance at Target last year. They were bright silver so I hit them with a coat of Kilz oil-rubbed bronze (or maybe it was brushed nickel) paint. Love them!



And you're all invited to my Holiday Open House on Tuesday, December 16th. There are going to be prizes!


post signature

72 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Leila said...

Your garland is lovely, despite the mishaps.
It's one thing for the garland to fall down -- it's another for you! Please stop!

Every time you spray paint something, my finger starts itching :)

Tricia said...

I'm glad that you & the garland are both safe. Blogland wouldn't be the same without you and all your wonderful inspirations! :) Just be more careful next time.

Valarie Lea said...

I have got to put the story of my Garland up. You will not believe how I have it up there.

Unknown said...

I am coveting your barn star right now! I am IN LOVE! It looks Perfect! Everything happens for a reason right? That had to fall because Of Course it would look better the second time around! And ya know what they say, Beauty is pain, even for your home! :-)

Caren said...

Well, it looks great, the first AND second time around.

I am a "faller" too. I recently sprained my ankle SO bad that I had to bow out of a 5K I was doing for a brain cancer charity...that sucked.

Anyway, happy holidays and I hope your back's not doing too bad.

Runner Mom said...

Bless your heart! Please be careful! I have only 3 of those 3M command hookie things--hope that's enough. We have not had time to put our garland up yet--it's still on the floor. This weekend....it'll happen.

Take some Advil please--it will work wonders.

Love the look of the mantel. I'm still in "figure it out mode" myself as to what will go up there.

Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Susan

Haley said...

What kind of fabric are you using for your table runner.... I need some of that for a room redo i am in the middle of... and i think it would be perfect....

Missy Wertz said...

Thank goodness you were not hurt worse! Please be careful.

The garland and Mantel looks beautiful, both ways.

Mandi Shandi said...

The garland looks great! You sound as clumsy as me. My husband doesn't even act surprised anymore when I trip over air. I was wondering what you used to hang that heavy garland, because we were having a time with hanging ours last night. I think I will get some 3M tabs today and try it again. Hope you feel better soon, but for now maybe you can rest on the sofa and admire that gorgeous garland!

Mom in High Heels said...

Well, you build a Nester-approved garland, it stands to reason it's going to fall down just like hers. I do love what you've done to the mantle. It's lovely. Be careful though. Decorating IS dangerous.

Kate said...

Oh my...I'm glad you weren't hurt more than that! Your garland is beautiful...I wish it would stay up!

Jenny and the Princess Peonies said...

Oh my...I am glad you are okay! It does look better the second time! I Heart your barn star.

Check by my blog - I am having a giveaway!

Michelle said...

I'm sorry that you are having such a time with your garland, I hope that your are okay. It looks beautiful, I love the red barn star. ~Michelle

Kristen said...

Maybe you followed The Nester's instructions a little too close, since hers fell too!

Mine hasn't fallen yet and I'm crossing my fingers. But I actually put in on top of my mantle instead of hanging from it. I'm wild and crazy like that.

I also have a giant red star that I've dying to hang there since August!

Shell in your Pocket said...

Your garland is very festive! Love the red star..great added touch!
-sandy toes

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

HA! I'm laughing with you, not at you. When I look at it again, it looks like it weighs a TON! :) I love how you finished it off!

Wendy said...

You and the Nester....boy! What is it with garlands this year? Sure hope that your back and your wrist are mending quickly. And I love your barn star over your mantel. So pretty! Glad it all worked out okay in the end. :-)

Natalia said...

Okay, so that makes 3 bloggers now I've read about falling this year due to holiday decorating. I will not be attempting anymore without a spotter.

Feel better! It sure is beautiful :)

TidyMom said...

Oh no!!!

My dh falls a lot too, I tell him I'm going to wrap him in bubble wrap when he goes out! LOL

~Tidymom

Vanessa Greenway said...

I'm glad you got it back up! :) Vanessa

Katy said...

How sad and scarey. I bet the garland was almost like a very large animal falling off of the mantle. I'm glad she's back up there, safe and happy! Love the red star and reindeer.

duchess said...

What a funny picture you put into my head. I've been known to fall quite a bit too - it's a family joke.
The garland, star & deer look lovely - hopefully they'll stay that way.
Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

Oh Kimba! You and your poor garland! Did you read about me falling while decorating a couple weeks ago? And getting a concussion?!?! Decorating is dangerous!

Hugs!

CMB said...

Your mantle & the star look fabulous! I found that the only thing that would keep mine securely in place was to put 2 nails on the top of the mantle and then tightly wrap a branch of the garland around it. Give it a try if yours comes down again.

Mrs. Gray's Class said...

It is more beautiful the second time around, though I'm sorry you had to go through serious pain to make it happen. Have you thought about using your table runner idea for tree skirts?

Cassie said...

It looks great! I love the addition of the barn star. No more falling though, be done with that!

Tardevil said...

I love it...looks great! Sorry you sprained your wrist though. Sounds like you were lucky that was it. Thanks for the shout out. The Etsy stuff is pretty too.

Holly said...

Oh that is just so real that I had to laugh out loud, all though I am very sorry that it happened.

Your garland is fantastic none-the-less.

Windy said...

The garland is beautiful and the star looks great! I hope those command things hold this time! I used something different for mine - plastic tablecloth anchors. I got them at the $tree. They are to hold down the corners of a tablecloth so it dosen't blow away. Since they are made for a table edge, they fit perfectly over the mantle edge and you get 4 for $1. Just wanted to share that w/ you - just in case:)

Valerie said...

Yes I like it better the second time around. Great job.

Mimi Sue said...

In our house it wouldn't be Christmas without some kind of disaster. It still looks just lovely. Love the barn star. Mimi

AndreaLeigh said...

I think it looks even better now, although I am sorry you hurt yourself!

southerninspiration said...

After deciding my garland was too much for my two inch mantle (seriously I need some mantle intervention here, people! I decided it would be better on the mirror over the mantle.....that way the mirror didn't come crashing down with it...that would be oh so bad. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the way your mantle,star and reindeer look. It is perfect, so you probably should just leave it up year round so no more incidents happen!! ;O
Suzanne

Suzann said...

You and that poor garland. It's absolutely stunning, but oy what a headache.

I have those same reindeer - got them after Christmas last year too. I think they're even on my blog photos.

Unknown said...

LOL...thank you for you very real life post. I was inspired to do soemething to our very ugly fireplace, and had nighmares that very thing would happen...lol.

I'm gonna try it anyway.

edie said...

I am so afraid of that happening and when I link up for Nester's garland party....you'll see why. I couldn't put another thing in that baby. Glad you're okay! And your garland!

Sunny said...

Yup, the pop of red looks great with all the other natural colors. Purdy job ya done thayr.

Beth at Aunties said...

I am so sorry your lucious garland came crashing down. It is so pretty and I love the star and the reindeer wih it.
I am sorry about your injuries and hope they heal fast!

BE CAREFUL♥♥♥

Essential Oil Premier University said...

Yes, tis the season to BE CAREFUL!! I'm glad you are OK.

Blessings,

Sher

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

You gals and your holiday decorating mishaps! So sad, but it really does look beautiful in spite of the fall. But you, please girl, be careful! Did you read Remodeling This Life (Emily's) story? She was hanging some festive lights or something and fell right over and got a concussion!

Hope you recover quickly! xoxo

Unknown said...

Kimba,

I just love your blog. You seem so down to earth and I can't wait to read your posts. I'm sorry I laughed when you fell because it so reminds me of me.

Deb

Debbie Petras said...

Sorry to hear of your mishap. And yes, I had a chuckle too. Sorry about that. I guess it's a bad habit to laugh when someone falls. But the garland arrangement looks even better.

Elle Jay Bee said...

Oh boy...I think there are going to be more 25lb garlands crashing down for weeks to come!! That's a heavy-weight!!

It's also stunningly gorgeous, though!! I love what you did with your mantel arrangement. And re-purposed, too!! Budget meets beauty!

Be careful, Kimba. Clumsy girls (like me, too) fall alot in winter!!

Linda

Marie said...

HOLY MOLY. Did you make that beautiful garland??? I love it! Sorry you AND the garland went crashing to the floor though. :o)

krissy said...

That garland is gorgeous! I fall too, all the time. I have gotten used to it, and just giggle now at it. Your runners are really pretty!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Oh, you poor girl!! From one klutzy girl to another, I feel for you! :) But on the bright side, your garland and barn star and reindeer are GORGEOUS!! They look perfect up there, and here's hoping that everything will stay put!

Mama Dog said...

Oh NOOO! I hope you're OK!! A wrenched back is no fun any time but disastrous in December!!! I have a question about the Kilz oil rubbed bronze. Has it been discontinued? I can't find it anywhere!! I've looked at every Big Lots I can find as well as Walmart and other places that I've been told carried it. I am desperate to paint my shiny brass chandelier and I'm thinking oil rubbed bronze is just the ticket. Have you seen it in stores recently???

♥ Braja said...

Honey, that is gorgeous! But listen, I'm living in the land that invented the garland: India. You want some garlandy advice, you just swing on by anytime and I'll give you all the garland wisdom I've accumulated over my 15 yrs of visiting here and living here.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to stop looking at your blog...you're giving me SO many great ideas, and I don't have time to implement them! :)

I'm going to post my garland and trees on my blog this week, and I'd love for you to stop by!

Louise | Italy said...

The garland is beautiful. Hope the back feels better!

Debra from Bungalow said...

The garland is so pretty, I love all the natural elements. Hope you recovered from the fall :)

I saw that tablecloth and thought about making one from burlap....then I got sick again. Take care & Happy Holidays.
DebraK

Amy B said...

I am sorry you got hurt..but does it ease the pain any to know that your garland is just beautiful.

Jami said...

Hello, I am Jami. I look at your blog all the time for cute ideas. I loved your garland...bummer it fell down. I hate it when things fall down in the middle of the night, or early in the morning. So scary

Pretty Organizer said...

So Funny! Funnier considering you and Nester are leading a "how to" on hanging the heaviest most beautiful garlands ever to grace a hearth. So, note taken. Make mine anchored to industrial L brackets screwed into the frame of my house and still hope that my foundation doesn't start to slope to one side. Who knew so much P.O.O.P.I.E. in once place could this Dangerous! (And just as beautiful or better the second time up!)

Mines still holding. I'm working on adding to it for the garland show and tell at Nesters:)

Hope your injuries heal quickly!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Oh no...PURE BEDLAM in that magnificence . The same thing was happening to me and I started completely losing my Christmas joy that I finally just nailed in upholstery tacts right into mantle.
I am so afraid that I will come home from Florida with it laying all over....I kept out some of the extra things and will put them in when I get home. :)

Jeauxdi said...

The garland turned our BEAUTIFUL! SOrry you fell and sorry I giggled as I read about it, the only reason I giggled is because it sounds like me! I am always stumbling, falling, tripping ect...So don't feel along!
You house must be VERRA festive!
Merry Christmas!

~*J*~

Southern Charm said...

Hope you are feeling better... your garland is beautiful.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Oh, my gosh, I laughed so hard at this! It sounds like something that would happen to me. And what a way to wake up at 6 in the morning!

It looks beautiful again, though. Hope you're recovering from your fall!

Jenners said...

Visiting via BPOTW...

At least all mishaps in life can eventually be turned into funny blog posts, right? Great story...hope your injuries aren't too bad!

The Style Sisters said...

Oh my gosh I was laughing out loud reading this. I could totally see myself doing the same thing. Laying there in my pink robe throbbing in pain wondering what in the heck just happened. I am so glad you are alright and the garland is too. :) Really you did a great job. My sister-in-law uses 2 25 lb hand weights to weigh hers down so it won't fall off the mantel. She acutally uses a board that sits on top of her mantel so it won't scratch and then she attaches her garland on that with the weights. Hope that might help you out next time.

Katie said...

That is darn pretty but I did not make mine super heavy because I think I would cry if that happend.

Doreen Frost said...

Oh my goodness...definitely not something you want to happen at 6am while you are just having your coffee and starting your day. The garland is just beautiful though..even if it has tendancies to be a trouble maker!!!

:)Doreen

Our Complete Family said...

Love the red star! Your garland (take 2!) is so great! Love it!
I hope you're feeling better now. Ouch hun!
~ Les

Heathahlee said...

We are such kindred spirits. I fall all the time, too. My middle name is SO not Grace. : ) I hope your back and your wrist are feeling better.

And I've been spray painting EVERYTHING!

Gombojav Tribe said...

I tend to trip a lot. My husband says, "Pick up your feet when you walk!" I thought I did. I guess I just don't notice things--like loose bricks, uneven steps, curbs, the baby on the floor....you know, abstract things.

:-)

Your garland is really beautiful!

(Visiting via BPOTW!)

Unknown said...

This made me laugh! Why? Because I can so sympathize!!!

In 2006, my hubby was in Iraq. Well, I didn't sleep well and slept on the couch most of the time. This particular day, we had just finished putting up our trees...the one in the living room was fabulous...like out of a magazine and I was so proud of it! About 2am, it came crashing down...glass ornaments and all...oh my what a sound that makes. I just started screaming, just knowing someone had just broke into the house....I woke everyone in the house up. It was hilarious...after I calmed down of course!

Woman Interrupted said...

Its the Curse-of-the Nester-Garland! Very stunning, by the way!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Glad you were able to save it...the garland, not the body obviously! Yep, I have had many a decorating body damage...but it is a price we have to pay...for beautiful "stuff" to post on our blogs!

Lulu and Co. said...

Fall and all your garland looks just beautiful,

Lisa @ Serah's said...

WOW! I was amazed! That is a beautiful garland!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you fell! Decorating can be dangerous! I think your garland is beautiful! A funny thing... I have star like yours in my backyard. I painted it red! I can't remember what color it was to start with! Red is best for sure!!! I'll check back for your open house.
-Kim

Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Ouch! For the garland, but especially for you!!

Glad you were both able to pick yourselves up and carry on. :-)