08 September 2008

My Favorite Spot

So do you want to see my favorite thing about the new house? You'll never in a million years guess what it is. Go ahead. Try and guess.

I'll wait...

OK. Done guessing? Let me show you.

Where does this door go?




Oh, it's a closet. My oldest son's closet to be exact.



I know. It's a big closet. But what is that behind the door?



NO WAY!!! Is that a secret passageway to the closet in his little brother's bedroom closet?



Why yes! Yes it is a secret passageway to the closet in his little brother's bedroom closet.



And are those mistreatments cobbled together with a leftover denim panel, fabric scraps, pom-pom fringe and fabric glue?



Oh yes they are. And don't forget some ring clips! OK, I cheated a bit and used a $3 rod from Big Lots too.



The boys closets are situated side by side even though their bedrooms are across the hall from each other. During the construction process, I oh-so-sweetly asked the framers if they could frame in a kid-sized doorway between their closets. Well, I actually asked them sweetly and brought them pizza everyday. But whatever.

I remember being a kid and pretending that there were secret passageways in my parent's home. I was giddy when I realized we could do this in our new home. The boys love it and it's the first (and only) thing that they want to show new visitors. So if you come by for a visit, prepare to crawl around in their closets.


Make sure that you stop back tomorrow for a little bit of fun and A GIVEAWAY!

post signature

70 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

roseroomnz.com said...

What a fabulous idea! Rachael

Nicol said...

How fun! I would have loved it as a child but then I didn't get a long with my siblings.

I think my dd would love something like that!

Candice said...

How fun! What a great idea!

Jerri Lynn @ Southern Sassyness said...

Very, very cute idea! love it!

TheFiveDays said...

That is so sweet!

cherry said...

Cute......I always wanted one of those bookshelves that opened up to reveal a hidden passageway...sigh. cherry

Esther said...

I remember being jealous of those kids in Famous Five. Not only did they get to wander around the countryside, buying fresh food from local farmers, but they always seemed to get to stay in houses with secret trapdoors and passageways. What a great way to recreate a bit of that. I want one!

Unknown said...

That is such a fantastic idea! I never would have thought to ask for something like that.

Ann said...

That is the coolest closet ever.

Bo said...

The look on your babies' faces tell the whole story...they will treasure their "secret place" forever! ;-) Bo

Darlene said...

Oh my gosh...that is just too cool!! I know they are going to have a ball in that closet!!!! Just think of all the adventures!

Kitty Scraps said...

How cool is that! Lucky boys!

Anonymous said...

Love this idea. I want a secret passage to somewhere too!

Kris said...

that is awesome!

Christi said...

That is so cool! My boys would absolutely love that.

Marie said...

How fun is that?? I love that you made that happen for your kids. :o)

TupeloLove said...

I love this! I used to pretend the same thing when I was little. That's such a fun things for your boys to have, and VERY nice that you were able to persuade the builders to add this!

Wendy said...

That is sooooo cute! What a great idea!! I wish I'd had one of those in my house growing up (especially when I was a teenager...it would have made borrowing my sister's clothes so much easier...LOL!!!)

duchess said...

I just love checking in with you on Monday mornings - you brighten my day.

The boys will always remember that passageway - good call mom.
My son's room in this new house actually has a little "room" hole in it. I thought it was attic storage at first but it's got a wall light in there & has flooring so he uses it as his hang out spot.

Boys are so cute.

Julie said...

Great Idea! I bet they are really loving this little hide away:)
Julie

Leila said...

Whenever you have a moment when you question if you are a good mother (and don't we all have those moments!) just remind yourself that you did this for your boys.
Forget Disney World! This is the greatest!

Free Art Printables said...

WHat a cool space! My kids would love that!

Trixi said...

Kimba, that is too sweet. They will remember that forever. Precious Memories.

Lucrecia said...

Oh my GOSH! What an excellent idea!! Too bad none of my kids rooms touch or I'd be going home tonight and cutting a hole in the wall. My husbands closet is next to our 16 yr olds. I wonder if they would be as excited?

The Beauty Bargainista said...

that is so cute!!! I wish I had secret passageways in my house! :)

My2Gs said...

That is such an awesome idea! They will have years and years of fun with that secret little passage.

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

Oh my gosh, how fun is that?! I would have LOVED something like that. What a great way to feed the imagination and encourage play time between brothers!!

Blessings,
Stacey

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

That is so cute and fun! I've been trying to convince my husband to cut and frame a passageway between our children's closets. I think he thinks I'm crazy for wanting that...I'm going to have to show him your pictures!

~ Sarah

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

What a cute idea! I'm sure those boys love that.

Do you ever slow down? LOL

Nancy Hood said...

What wonderful heart memories you have made for your babies!!

It's a Fantastic Life said...

What a good idea! I bet they love that. The mistreatments are great!!!

April E. :) said...

I am...most def...jealous.

Georgia Girl said...

That is just too cute Kimba! I want to come play also.

Shannon said...

How fun is that! What a great idea!

Deb said...

Kimba, you are so creative only you would think of this. I can imagine what fun it is for the boys. Deb

Unknown said...

Oh I want such a hiding place! What a special place for boys.

Suzy

Trish D said...

What an amazing idea - definitely jotting this down in my "future dream house" file!

Anonymous said...

That is so neat! I always wanted a secret room when I was little. They will remember that space when they grow up Im sure. I bet they are having the time of their lives....hugs to you!

Tausha said...

How fun! i am with you, I always thought that would be super fun when i was little.
I have a friend who has a secret passageway in the loft of their house. It's a tunnel that weaves in and out and comes out and ball pit. My kids love to go there. their kids are all big, so she doesn't care when my kids come and have a "ball"
Love the mistreatments! Super cute. I must go and pick up some faric glue, bet it works better than hot glue. Does it work better?

Julie said...

that is such a fun idea, you are such a good mom!

Caren said...

Cute idea!

Inspired Kara said...

This is precious! If your boys read about Narnia when they get older, they will love this :)

What an adorable idea. That's going in my "for when I have a family one day" memory file in my mind :)

Unknown said...

How fun I would have loved that as a child!

Beth said...

I LOVE your page! I have a dream of one day being an interior designer! I love everything that has to do with home! The closet idea is super! Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy looking at all your ideas. I plan to make the fall door hang. Excellent idea and it's so pretty!

Sara L said...

I ALWAYS wanted a secret passage way between my room and my sisters! You are the coolest mom EVER! Love it!

joelandbecca said...

Ok, that has got to be one of the cutest thing I have ever seen! What a fun and clever idea!

Traci said...

That is awesome. I want one.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

You know that those boys are LOVING LIFE, and giving their momma a big, fat kiss for all the fun they will have with that.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

You know that those boys are LOVING LIFE, and giving their momma a big, fat kiss for all the fun they will have with that.

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

What lucky boys, to have a mom like you. : ) So fun to see your little sweet pea's smile on another post...adorable!

M.L.

Lettered Cottage said...

SO creative of you to think of that! Too cool! :-)
I am having a "Blog Sale" starting tomorrow, stop by and check it out if you have time!

Layla
The Lettered Cottage

Anonymous said...

Oh I remember the days of secret passageways too. We had an old door in our closet, but it didn't go anywhere. I used to dream about it going to some mysterious land (perhaps Narnia!). What a WONDERFUL idea. You truly are a little kid at heart!

bloggin' Chrystal said...

That is so INCREDIBLE! Those kiddos are just so lucky that you thought of that.

Mrs. B said...

Hi Kimba! That is so awesome! You know they are going to grow up with the best memories of that secret passage way! And what cuties they are!

Anonymous said...

That's such a fun idea! I'm sure your boys love it. What kid wouldn't?

Ashley said...

Love this! I went on our city's annual tour of homes last year and one of the houses (only $2 million) had something similar connecting two kids bedrooms.

Lana said...

What a cute idea! I bet they love it! :)

nikkicrumpet said...

So smart of you to think of this...and to make it happen for your kids. I know even as an adult I'd be groovin on that secret passageway!

Kelly said...

Oh, what a cute idea! My sister and I used to talk about this as our rooms were side by side with the closet walls touching. Instead, we had to settle for the wired together walkie talkie phones.

anne said...

seriously! That is so cute! :)

Heathahlee said...

Okay, even though I'm past 60 on here and worn out from my day, I have to comment on that door! What I wouldn't have given when I was little to have a secret doorway! My uncle's house had a walk-up stairway to the attic that I always thought was a secret passageway and dreamed up adventures about it. They will love that!

Allikaye's Mama said...

I must say I am jealous! My hubby and I always say that if we ever get to build our own house we will fill it with secret passages!! You have such blessed kids!!

Unknown said...

Oh, that is so clever and precious, Kimba! I bet they are having a ball in their secret passageways. There are days that I STILL pretend there are secret passageways where I can run when I just need a breather! :)

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

How fun is that? My kids would've loved that "secret passage." -Julia

Miss Looney Tunes said...

that is the CUTEST idea EVER!

Jo said...

Ok, that is so cute! I pretended to have secret passageways too!

Crazy Momma said...

That is so stinking cute! My sister and I use to knock on the wall to each other...wish we had a door.

Thank you for stopping by my blog yesterday and sharing some of the love!

The Runyans said...

we are currently working on our house plans. i would LOVE to create something like this for my two boys!

The Runyans said...

btw............i adore your blog.

Jennifer said...

ok, I have an odd question for you. On you 11/11 post, there's a picture of your bathroom (great color by the way). I would like to know where you purchased that basket on the back of your toilet....I've been looking for a basket like that (with a lid) for about 2 years now. Do you have a link you can email me? jenniferobrienadams@gmail.com