04 September 2008

A Little More Fall

I'm always ready for the change of seasons. At the end of winter, I'm ready for the simplicity of summer. I can't wait to shed my winter layers and lighten up the inside of the house.

Now at the end of summer, I'm ready for the lushness of fall. I'm itching to spruce up my home with layers of color and texture.


Which is why this is now hanging on my front door.



A few days ago, it was just this pile of stuff. That bucket used to be green and that straw mat was on clearance at Big Lots for 25 cents.


I put together the arrangement but it dwarfed the petite bucket so I needed something to add some oomph to the base. That's where the frame came in. I lined the back with the straw mat (attached with hot glue, of course).


An added bonus - the mat keeps the metal bucket from banging against my door and scratching it to bits. A huge glob of hot glue on each corner of the back of the frame acts as a rubber bumper against the door too.


Make sure you keep checking out Fall Nesting Week at The Inspired Room. There are new bloggers joining the party everyday and sharing some wonderful ideas.



post signature

86 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Looks great and what a change from the wreath that most people (me included!) put on the front door.

~ Sarah

Joy said...

What a beautiful way to welcome fall and your guests!

Debbie said...

I absolutely love it Kimba! I never would have thought to put in on the mat and the frame...You are getting me in the mood to pull out my fall decor...except that it was 94 degrees here today so it still feels like summer. Maybe next week!

Just say Julie said...

Oh wow! That is absolute fabulousness! I would love to pull out my fall stuff, but my subdivision is having "summerfest" next weekend and the temps are still in upper 90s. It would seem blasphemous!

Rachel Berry said...

Wow that looks great! I love the whole thing. I am beyond ready to get all my fall decor out, it's been really chilly hear lately, feels like fall to me even if it is too early to decorate. I'm doing it anyway.

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Kimba,
Look at that, it beautiful how you gathered everything together and arranged it for fall. Oh my goodness fall, than Christmas *Yikes*!! lol Thanks for sharing your delightful creations..

Hugz Lorie

Empty Nest Full Life said...

That is beautiful! So welcoming and inviting. Jackie

Kitty Scraps said...

Kimba how on earth did you make the connection between a bucket and a frame? Who would have thunk that one up but you? I'm shaking my head at your creativity and cleverness, I've not seen anything like it and it's gorgeous! Beautiful job Kimba, most unique idea I've seen in a long time!

Kris said...

lovely. simply elegant and festive ;-)

Darlene said...

That is beautiful on your door....it makes such a statement compared to most of the wreaths. BEAUTIFUL!!!

Marie said...

Very pretty! I love that it's different from a "typical" wreath. So creative!

Kristen said...

I love this! I have such an ugly front door and since we're renting I can't paint it or anything. This is a great idea and such a nice change from a wreath!

Mrs. Gray's Class said...

Another beauty - do you ever sleep?

Cathy said...

Looks beautiful. You are so incredibly creative!! I love seeing your ideas!

Jen said...

Wow. Love it! Very creative materials make up a lovely door hanging! Keep the great stuff coming!

duchess said...

What a great idea to use a frame.
Never would have considered a frame on the door.
You continue to amaze me.

Do you think you could plan a trip to SC to help me with a few problem spots??

Ann said...

That looks so pretty, you just know I have to make myself one now. Like I needed one more thing to do.LOL

Anonymous said...

Love it! I need to come up with something for my front door...it's been bare since Christmas was over and the big wreath came down!

Unknown said...

That looks so good and different very good idea I am still waiting for outside stuff being that it is still in the 90's here!

Heather said...

It's too good!!! I love it too and now I want to make it.

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

So creative and pretty, Kimba! This is so unique with the frame, and I may have to do something like this myself :). Especially appreciated the tip of the hot-glue "bumpers"!

Blessings,
Stacey

Christina said...

That's such a beautiful idea. Much better than the normal fall wreath. Although, I'd love to be able to make either. lol

Shannon said...

This looks awesome! You did such a great job!

Julie said...

You have such good ideas, thanks for sharing with the rest of us. I am so thankful that God brought you to my site and now I am being blessed with all your creativity. I am envious you are in your new place, we are still waiting and praying... It is hard, especially with all your cool ideas!!! I want to do them in the new place... *sigh*

Laura said...

Love the fame idea! Very pretty!

TupeloLove said...

Clever idea to put the frame behind it! I wouldn't have thought of protecting the door and most likely would have ended up with scratches all over it.

Nice job!

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

You simply AMAZE, and INSPIRE me!! Another GREAT idea.

Be blessed.

Heather said...

This is a fantastic idea! I have a bucket very similar I got at Lowe's on clearance a few weeks ago for $1.52 and didn't know what to do with it. Guess I do now!

Angie said...

Beautiful fall arrangement! The bucket in the frame is very clever. Here's my dilemma - I have double front doors. So, everything I buy or make I have to do 2 of them! Such a pain in the butt! I am trying to get my husband to redo the front so I'll have just one door. We'll see!

Queen B said...

That is beautiful and creative! A lovely change from a typical wreath.

Twice as Nice said...

You come up with such wonderful ideas...keep them coming :o)

Chris said...

SpecTACular, Kimba! I love it. How did you attach the actual arrangement to the frame? We get some pretty intense wind up here, so I'd have to make sure it holds. Good job!

Anonymous said...

That's very crafty! I love it. Totally would not have thought to put that all together. It looks fabulous on your door.

-Hayley

Mrs. B said...

Hi Kimba! That looks so great! I love the idea of using the frame. It makes it so unusual and dresses it up! Very pretty and creative! And I also love the change of the seasons.

Carry Grace said...

Kimba, you have done it again! Very pretty!

Lauren and Justin said...

i love this!! looks so great. I wish i had the time that all you fabulous crafty women have to do some fun things. i think we should have a weekend where all of us bloggers get together and craft ALL WEEKEND LONG!!!!!!

Wendy said...

So pretty!

Kristen, pajama mama said...

and i love the black door!!! that's next on my list!

-kristen

Jennifer said...

i love this!! great job!

Christa Hagler said...

Gorgeous! maybe sometime you can give some tips about putting together an arrangement. Mine never come out..Ok, I haven't tried that much but after the first disaster I decided it wasn't my area of expertise.

Jo said...

I love it! If I didn't have an ugly screen door squishing everything, I'd definitely do something like that.

Tausha said...

who would have thought to use a beach mat in a cration for a door. Aren't you just the clever little beaver. Yep that is sarcasm that you are hearing. It's just cause I am so jealous! I need to do something to my house for the whole fall thing-I think I am too lazy-but i am blaming it on the heat! (out loud anyway-It's really not that hot, and all of your utah readers will roll their eyes at that last statement!
You know I love you and wish that we were neighbors, cause you would so help me get my butt in gear!
Sorry-this comment is so random! You love me anyway right?

Ashley said...

So Creative - as usual!! This is our first Fall in our first home so I need to be thinking of lots of things to spruce the place up for Fall!

melissa said...

wow.....so beautiful and creative!!

nikkicrumpet said...

CLEVER CLEVER CLEVER CLEVER CLEVER!!! Did I mention how clever you are?

Lettered Cottage said...

Great work!
You could go into business selling those, I swear!

Layla
The Lettered Cottage

Kristen said...

Oh how FUN!! That looks so great especially on your black door. I was out shopping Saturday and I saw your rectangle wrought iron piece (the one that was green but now is not) and thought of you. *Almost* bought it but they wanted $35 for it and I couldn't do it. Sigh....

Lacy said...

Ok...I keep thinking you cant get any better....but this is THE BEST YET!!!!! Got love A soft place to Land!

Unknown said...

I am so impressed!!! That looks beautiful and would cost a fortune in some fancy store (have you thought of starting a side business?).

Very warm and welcoming.

Gretchen said...

Beautiful.
I love the idea of using the frame.

Thanks for the tip on the hot glue dots as protectors!

You're full of good ideas!!!

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Kimba,
That was very creative! Love it! Just recently found your blog & just started my own (yesterday). Please stop by and say "hi" soon!

Darlene
Our Creative Life

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Look at you, crafty girl! You sure haven't slowed down since you moved in that new place. Looks good on the door!

Anonymous said...

That is really pretty. You're so creative. I love it!

Lynn Hasty said...

Pretty!!! I am now inspired to do something with my front door. It's time.

Lynn

Anonymous said...

Kimba! Where do you get these great idea!? You're fantastic and this looks so great on your door!!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Kimba, you are KILLING ME HERE! Could you be any more fabulous!? Thanks for being such a great part of Fall Nesting Week!

xoxo

Blessings!

Candice said...

Oh my word...I love it! What a great idea. I would have never thought of using a frame.

Maureen said...

Gorgeous!!!

Nathalanes Place said...

Wow great idea, I never woud've thought of that. Really ingenious. We're still in the 30 Celcius so I don't fell like decorating for fall just yet but soon and this is giving me some sool ideas. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

wow, I could never produce something like that

amazingly crafty and looks beautiful

sarah

Julie said...

Hi again, I always comment... but wanted to thank you for stopping by Hungary and for making Hungary look prettier as a result of your posts!

Anonymous said...

I love the way that it looks! How did you attach it to your door? Thank you for sharing your creativity!!!

Sarah Kate said...

I keep on seeing what other people do with found objects and it makes me want to find one just like it! There is plenty of potential out there for everyone!

Meghan said...

You are so darn creative!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Holy Cow,Kimba -
I am your 65 comment. Do you really need one more telling you how unbelievable you are? hee hee

Inspired Kara said...

Seriously Kimba? SERIOUSLY?!!

This is amazing.
I love it.
I'm copying.

Unbelievable. This lil' door hanger just MADE MY DAY!!!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Yikes - I realized that I left off the most important phrase. Without it, my first comment might have sounded snotty....yes, yes, one more telling you how wonderful you are!! ;)

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Makes me feel all fall-ish just looking at your front door! :) Do the cows like it?
Carrie

scargosun said...

I love it! You are so wonderfully creative!

I did get your email and thank you for the link about the painting of the desk. I was planning on doing lit last weekend but my allergies were really giving me a rough time. This weekend, Hanna will be giving me a rough time. ;)

Allikaye's Mama said...

Oh my! I just found your blog - and have spent WAY too much time reading so many of your old posts! Yo uare a complete inspiration! I have a really long list of projects I want to copy from you now!! Woohoo!!

Rue said...

Another pretty Fall design. Very cute :)

rue

KatBouska said...

Very nice!

Lana said...

I *love* the wreath on your door! It is absolutely beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kimba, your fall door arrangement is so different and original to say the least. The added frame is genius.
Wonderful job girl.

I just remembered I still have summer on my door. LOL I need my dh to change that for me. I am way behind in 'falling' up my home, because of this surgery. I love decorating too.

Hace a great weekend, Jeanne

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Hi Kimba,

I just posted a reply on my blog about linking to mine on Sat.

What a compliment your request is. Thanks so much!!

Mary Lou @ the house of whimsy

anne said...

dang girl! That rocks. I need to do something sweet like you did :)

emily freeman said...

Wow, Kimba. I am so totally impressed. I LOVE it!

Melissa Stover said...

i love that! and your blog is so cute. i've added you to my reader.

Annie said...

As if it hasn't been said enough...
You have the most creative ideas! I love all the layers of this. It looks great!

Melissa said...

This is so beautiful! It looks so neat and 3-D like! I love it! What an inspiration for thinking outside of the box!

Melissa :D

Blogger said...

Don't know how I missed this one, Kimba, but I am so copying it, lol ;)

Bella

These Are The Days said...

I copied your wreath, don't worry yours is much better. I posted it on today's poopie party and left a link to your blog. Hope it's OK. Thanks for the fun idea. :)

Anonymous said...

I was wondering how you get the backing to stay AND Hold the bucket without it falling out??? Staple gun??/but then what about the bucket? How is it stable?
I would really like to know...thx

Anonymous said...

LOVE the frame idea! I just saw those mats at Big Lots and passed on then cause I didn't have a use -ugghhh!! I have a small arrangement on my front door that looked so sad this morning..I need to go home and get a frame up there! Thank you for the AWESOME idea!!
Janae

Merand said...

I love this idea! I really need something big and ta-da for my door and I would definitely like to try this! Thanks!

Chany said...

Me encantó este adorno en tu puerta, muy bonito, un abrazo con cariño Chany.-