03 September 2008

I'm Gettin' in the Mood

FOR AUTUMN!

It was 85 degrees today but I'm starting to feel fall in the air. College football has started. The leaves on the trees are turning. Well, that's from a lack of rain, but still.

I started fiddling around with my fall decor today.

Before:

After:


This is one of my favorite ways to spruce things up for the new season. I find things from the current season on big-time clearance and find a way to make them work.

Now my husband will say, "Oh Darling-love-of-my-life, those look rockin' in metallic brown. But don't you think it's a little silly since you'll probably buy brown ones at the end of winter and paint them bright green for spring?"

To which I'll reply, "Oh Sweetness-man-of-my-dreams, isn't that one of the endearing quirks that you love so much about me?"

Then he'll reply, "Nuh Uh."

That's just how we roll. (I've always wanted to use that phrase!) :-)

Make sure you go see my friend Melissa at The Inspired Room to check out her Fall Nesting Week. She's got some great ideas of her own and the gals linking up for the party are fantastic!

post signature

63 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Yipee - I am first...is that all I should say? That means that I am up too late. Love the project as always... just typed a sweet 'ums type name for you but then thought I better leave that to your hubby. :)

Rachel Berry said...

Seriously! All I'm going to say is
I ♥LOVE♥ it! Okay... and I think it's just FABULOUS!
:)

Bo said...

Such a pretty fall addition to your mantel...and a cute little script you wrote, too! ;-) Bo

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Ok, that was really funny. But it makes perfect sense to me!

And I love your lanterns. Love them in green, love them in metal. Love all lanterns! So cozy.

Thanks again for linking to the festivities, there are some really great ideas out there! For those naysayers that thought it was too early, Fall will be over all too soon! It is not too early to get inspired!

Happy night!

Melissa

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Looks fantastic! Reminds me of something I saw in a catalogue, too. Pottery Barn? Ballard? I can't remember!!

~ Sarah

Angie said...

The lanterns look awesome all "falled up"! Look forward to seeing more of your fall decorations!

Free Art Printables said...

I love that! :)

Unknown said...

Hi Kimba,
They look great in brown especially with the little pumpkins! Where do you find all this stuff???

Kitty Scraps said...

I wondered if you just repainted your things for the season... *smiles* Too funny! I love it! Great post!

Darlene said...

I LOVE it as usual!! Those look great that color with the pumpkins in them.

Mrs. Gray's Class said...

One of these days I'm going to gain the courage to go buy a can of spray paint - and I'll have you to thank for the inspiration.

Michelle said...

What a cute idea...love your mantel decor!

Stacy said...

Looking good lady, looking good. Love em on the mantel.

~Stacy

Marie said...

That's how you roll? lol Should we refer to you as K-diddy now? ha ha Love the fall decor everywhere! And I knew you'd not dissapoint!

Cathy said...

I love this!! Looks perfect!

Kristen said...

Those are fabulous! Where did you find the pumpkins that you put in the lanterns?

Empty Nest Full Life said...

Found a little birdcage kind of thing at the thrift store yesterday,that I will be painting and filling with pumpkin too. Your lanterns look great on the mantel. Jackie

Trixi said...

I love those and so wish I could find some. I love the pumpkins in it, too cute.

duchess said...

I think I actually like them better in that lovely shade of metallic brown. Good call.

Heathahlee said...

Yes, my husband and I have those same type conversations...it's usually about what I'm going to do with all these birds! : )

Beautiful Fall arrangement! I realized the other day that I am in some desperate need of many more colors of spray paint, and this post just solidifies that need!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

I love what you did with those lanterns! They look so great by the fireplace. You and your hubby sound like me and mine!! Too funny :)

Blessings,
Stacey

Shannon said...

I love how those look! So cute!

Wendy said...

You have such great ideas! I'm gonna pull some of my old candle lanterns and guess what...they'll be brown and filled with gourds before you know it!!!!! Thanks for the inspiration! (again.)

Amanda said...

love it love love it!! I have something similar to that that is painted an off white-shabby chic style-which Im soooo over-- so maybe I'll get out the paint. Did you remove the glass to paint them?

Kathryn said...

Ha, Ha! I'm still laughing at the imaginary (or real!) conversation between you and your husband. :-D My husband waved the white flag years ago ... he doesn't even ask questions anymore!

But, the pumpkin-filled lanterns do look ... well ... rockin'. :-)

Georgia Girl said...

Oh how cute these look. I found some pink ones out in my storage building the other day and got them out to paint...Can't wait to see how mine will look. Thanks for sharing! You so right about popping over to the Inspired Room....so many places to check out and neat stuff. I had to take a break so I can go to the dentist but I would rather be here than at the dentist right now....hehehe

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

What a great idea to fill them with little pumpkins like that! I love this. -Julia

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

What a GREAT idea!!!! I love the color you painted them!!

So fallish.

Tausha said...

men are so silly-they so don't get it!
I love the lanterns! I saw one at good will yesterday and put it back. What the heck was I thinking? Obviously I wasn't thinking pumpkins.
Just tell your husband that spray paint is much cheaper than anything new.
My husband has learned just to smile and tell me it looks great!

Jo said...

Love the new colour for your lanterns. Tell your hubby that if you bought them in season and didn't paint them, you'd have to pay full price!

Carry Grace said...

Very cute! It wouldn't be as much fun if you didn't get to paint them.

Anonymous said...

The lanterns look wonderful! And the pumpkins in them are really cute :)

Best Wishes
Liz

Ann Harrison said...

Well, of course we change the paint colors every season. That's one of the wonderful things about being a woman!
How creative you are.
It looks lovely!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Kimba!! Girl, you're just too much and funny too! I love what you did to these little lanterns and they look fantastic with your fall fruits in them.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Twice as Nice said...

When I see lanterns all I think about is another candle holder and I don't even want to think of how many of those I have. Putting pumpkins or something other than a candle in them is a great idea! I'm going to try it.Thanks

trish said...

Cute dialog!! I really like your lanterns! They are beautiful in both colors. :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Lacy said...

Lovin the humor and decor all in one!!!! I love the transformation. Classy!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! I'm the same way - painting stuff darker colors for fall and lighter for summer. Some things must have about 10 coats of paint on them!

Manuela

Ashley said...

Love that color. They look great. I have been eyeing some lanterns, but I am waiting for a better deal. The waiting game is just part of being a great bargainer, I guess.

Lettered Cottage said...

The lanterns look GREAT up there on that mantle! Love that stone, and really love the way its lit too.

Pretty, pretty!

Layla
The Lettered Cottage

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love this! FABULOUS!

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Right on the mark, as usual. Beautiful, original, and clever as all get-out! As for the script...you're so lucky to have a hubby that is SO into your decorating! Hee-hee : )

Thanks so much for visiting the "french walls". You were my first visitor!

Mary Lou @ the house of whimsy

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

Great Fall project! And I love your lamp redo too! I'll have to check out the paint in Big Lots!

I'm hosting a give-away in celebration of my 100th post! Come over and enter if you like! :) ~Rhonda

Blogger said...

Roger that!

It is funny how we spray black things white and white things black and.....

I really love those and hope I can find some in the store sometime in any old color :)

Your fireplace is gorgeous!

Bella

nikkicrumpet said...

I love darling ideas that are so simple! You are such a great source of inspiration!

taratoons said...

I love what you did with your lanterns - just like usual, you amaze me. I also wanted to tell you thanks for highlighting me last Saturday. It was fun to get all the love! Thanks Kimba!!

High Heels and a Sippy Cup said...

Hi! I just found your blog and I'm loving it!

This past week I was lamenting over my lack of suitable fall decor and your post has solved my problems.

Thanks, lady!

High Heels and a Sippy Cup said...

By the way, I love that your spray paint addiction is so useful and inspirational. I'd like to join in the fun but I have never used spray paint. Sad and deprived, I know.

Have you ever posted a tutorial? I'd love to learn all your tricks and tips.

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Hi Kimba! Love the lanterns ~ they look awesome on your mantle with that lovely mirror!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Unknown said...

Love them. Hey Kimba drop by my blog and give me your opinion on my staircase!

Mrs. B said...

Hi Kimba! I love those! They look great filled with the mini pumkins. I've been looking for lantern type things like that since I saw similar over priced ones in Pottery Barn last year and haven't found any! Now I need them even more. "Cause that's how I roll," LOL!

Lana said...

I absolutely love it! What a great idea and thanks for the inspiration!

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

You are too funny and I love this! Great job!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

SO true! But why else would they invent spray paint, if not for those of us who are so happy to find a bargain that we will paint anything any color at all? :) Way to go!
Carrie

Kelly said...

Hey Kimbs --

You "roll" well with spray paint, heh!

Love your latest projects as always.

Anonymous said...

I love it! I would love to have some of those in my new house! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled!

McKenna Gordon said...

I absolutely love this! Love the entire blog, coming back for more!

The Beauty Bargainista said...

wow! what a great idea! I love the gourds and pumpkins. :)

Unknown said...

The lanterns look fantastic with the pumpkins in them! Such coziness.

Meghan said...

Absolutely brilliant!

Rue said...

Hi Kimba :)

You did a beautiful job! I love the little pumpkins inside too :)

rue

Anonymous said...

Oh that is a cute idea...I may have to steal it for my house! Found your site through SITS!

jeanne @ Inspiring Ideas said...

Great project! Looks wonderful.... and love your "conversation" with the man!!