02 September 2008

An Illuminating Project

If you're visiting from Thrifty Decor Chick's Spray Spaint Party, then welcome! It's still a little chilly here in Pennsylvania so I haven't done much spray painting. I'm linking up with a post from last fall. It's an oldie but a goodie.

I don't know if I've ever told you but I love lamps. I can't resist a lamp bargain. But of course, I often end up changing them up a bit to make them work in my home. Here is one that I found on clearance at Target many months ago.



I really like the shape of it but the shiny silver finish doesn't work in my family room. Not to mention that every time I walk by it I feel like I'm looking in a fun house mirror. The one that makes you look 3 feet tall and 8 feet wide. Ugh.

So what do you think I did? Yep. I spray painted it.



Here it is with a couple of coats of primer. I used painter's tape and plastic bags to protect the parts that I didn't want painted.

Next, a couple of coats of Kilz Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint. If you haven't tried out any of the metallic spray paints, you need to get you some. They're fantastic! They give a beautiful metal-like finish.



And if you're looking, check out Big Lots. The one near me had a ton of Kilz spray paint for $1.80. Major bargain! But don't buy it all. I haven't finished gorging myself yet.



Then a new Big Lots lampshade and...Voila! A new lamp!

NOOOOOOW you can go visit Melissa at The Inspired Room.


post signature

57 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Bonnie the Boss said...

I love it. So beautiful!!!! I am going to have to give it a try!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Aw, you are too sweet. Thanks for sending your friends over for Fall Nesting Week!

I love your lamp idea. It turned out great! Can you believe it, I've never even been to Big Lots. Never even seen one! I wonder if there is one near here. I better find out, great finds!

Thanks again for passing the word on. You are a BFF.

Blessings,
Melissa

maryanne420 said...

kimba,

that is just gorgeous what you did with that lamp. great job!

KatBouska said...

Seriously how do you do that!?! Do you realize we moved into our house over five years ago and I don't own one lamp (ok a reading lamp) and their are probably a total of six framed pictures hanging in the entire house. I need you...please come over...

Lacy said...

Looks fancy and very pretty!

Esther said...

Great lamp! I would have changed it too, but I never would have thought of spraypainting something that shiny.

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Kimba,

Again, you're a "creative guru"! The finished product was absolutely gorgeous. The lamp shade was a perfect fit (style and size). I finally posted the "Big Reveal" of my daughter's french walls. Come and take a peek. : )

Mary Lou @ the house of whimsy

Darlene said...

That turned out beautifully!!! I'll have to try that type of paint!

Georgia Girl said...

Love it Kimba! I guess since I do have a Big Lots I will have to get over there and get some of that paint. I am learning so much from your blog....thanks so much for all the information to help make my new home as pretty as it can be. Have a good day and oh yeah I am ready for another neat decor adventure.
Beth

Marie said...

Very, very pretty! I spray painted one master bedroom lamp a few months ago and I never got around to spray painting the other. I really should do that soon. lol Thanksf or the reminder!

Kristen said...

I love this! I've been looking for lamps for my living room and I found some I like, but they are chrome. I never thought of spray painting them! Thanks for the idea.

Heathahlee said...

Is nothing safe from your spray trigger finger? Ha! That lamp is beautiful! I have a couple of those fun house lamps that need to be sprayed. I've never thought to paint them, which is not saying much since I've never thought to paint a lot of stuff that you have taught me!

duchess said...

Turned out great (as usual).

I might be able to join Fall Nesting Wk....if I can ever get one room complete enough to put the fall decor out.

Have a great Tuesday.

Caren said...

Wow! That looks gorgeous. So much better than before. I would love to find a lamp like that, I still have no lighting in my living room at all and at the rate I'm going, it's going to be a while before I get any!

Kitty Scraps said...

Hi Kimba,
I love your lamp, it's beautiful! I bought some metallic spray paint to do mine with but I'm still haven't had a chance yet. Hopefully soon.

Empty Nest Full Life said...

I have a lamp that will be perfect for that. I will be off soon to find some oil rubbed bronze spray paint. I am slowly ridding the house of all the bright brass lamps that I own. Have a great week! Jackie

Mrs. Gray's Class said...

Beautiful - I love it! I'm off to find me some of that Kilz bronze spray paint - I have a few "builder's special" light fixtures that are screaming for a make over! thanks

Wendy said...

Nice lamp! I just spraypainted me a lamp this weekend! (Great minds think alike) it will make it's debut along with my bathroom (if it ever gets finished - LOL!)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Very nice, Kimba! Did you see my bench score from Big Lots? I wish there was one closer to my house & I'd stop in more often.

Love your lamp, you did a great job with it. Yes, I love that bronze spray paint too, even though I haven't tried it yet. I usually use black & add my own bronze to it.

Rhoda

Trixi said...

I may have to try out the metallic spray paint on my next ceiling fan project. It looks great!!

Leslee P said...

Hello and thanks for the comments. I see that you are a spray paint addict too. We should start a club, lots of people would join..... Love your blog. Definately a soft place to land.

nikkicrumpet said...

Ya know...I spray paint a lot of things...but I never thought of doing a lamp! It makes you rethink things like that when you see them in the stores. My initial reaction is...nice price but it won't work in my home. Now you've opened my eyes! Thanks for the inspiration!

The Beauty Bargainista said...

what a great lamp! I never remember to go to biglots! I so need to do that!!

Courtney said...

I love this, Kimba. I love how you still went metallic but it's so much more toned down. Just lovely!

TupeloLove said...

I would have never thought to repaint a lamp, but that looks awesome! I always just search and search until I find a lamp that goes with my interior, but this is perfect for me! Thanks for the idea!

Jo said...

Wow, your lamp is beautiful! I love the shade you chose too. It goes perfectly with the new finish!

Carry Grace said...

It looks great. I'm in the middle of a lamp rehab right now.

sheila from life @ #17 said...

hmmmmm, I've been eyeing my bedside lamp as a possible candidate for a makeover...I may have to try this metallic paint...thanks :)

Tausha said...

ok-my husband will be thrilled when I bring home another kind of spray paint to add to the collection!
He now knows better than to question me. In fact he even helps spary paint the crap that I bring home. I have a couple lamps that could use a coat of metal spray paint. Always been to chicken to try. I will have to give it go since it got the kimba seal of approval! :)

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

That looks great! I have a lamp that is next on my spray paint list, too.

~ Sarah

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

I love it! Great job with the spray paint! Much better without the fun house mirror effect, I have to agree! :)
Carrie

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Big improvement. Even though I liked it to begin with, it looks even better after you worked your magic on it. I'm off to Big Lots to see if I can find a good deal on paint, too! -Julia

Mrs. B said...

Hi Kim! Beautiful lamp! I really like that color paint. I looked at BigLots for spray paint last week and they didn't have one single can!

My First Kitchen said...

This is GREAT. I'm on a spray-paint-everything-and-make-it-look-cool kick... totally in my mind though. You've inspired me. And I feel like I need to read your blog; you comment on the blogs that I love, so I figure we have equally good taste. I'm looking forward to reading more.

Anonymous said...

What a great new lamp. The color looks good. I love the bronze look.

I was just at big lots and all I saw was dirt devil paint. Who knew that they made paint? I thought they were just in the vacuum business. Oh well...

-- Brandi

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

I just LOVE your blog! I'm fairly new to your blog and you are SO inspiring me!!

When you have time, stop by, I have a little something for you.

Kim~

Megan @ Megity's Handmade said...

That finish is so nice. A few weeks ago, I spray painted with Krylong Metallic paint and it was horrible and gritty. I was so bummed! Wish I would of known of this other stuff first. The lamp looks wonderful!

Stacy said...

Aye! That is some great paint! I gotta get me some of that!

Nice job! Love it!

~Stacy

Hideaway Girl said...

Love the new look! I really like the trim on the shade. I have 2 lamp makeover projects in the works...guess I need to hit a Big Lots!

Wendy said...

I hope you don't mind if I link to your rehabbed iron piece post tomorrow! You've got a way with a spray paint can!

Wendy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

I saw that hutch at Big Lots too! And thought it was a great find, but me too...no room for it!

Unknown said...

very cool!

Amanda said...

oooo love the lamp!!! and I am quite fond of spray painting too!!! if I get tired of it- or it doesnt match-get out the can!

Anonymous said...

We think the bronze makeover looks amazing! You did a really great job with this project and spent so little money. Impressive!

Lana said...

How cute! I will have to keep this in mind! Great job!

Jyl @ MommyGossip said...

Hi! I found you over at Seven Clown Circus. Glad I stopped by. I love the lamp. I need to send you a pic of one I bought a year or so ago. I absolutely love it. Maybe I'll post it this week. It is soooooo cute.

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Oh my...I have actually done something before you are giving me the idea. I have spray painted a lamp before, but was at Big Lots today and hadn't read your post first. Such a bummer...I would have stocked up on the Kilz.

Mama Dog said...

I have a bright brass lamp (a wedding present 21 years ago!) that WAS waiting to go to Goodwill. Well, sorry, Goodwill, I'm off to get me some oil rubbed bronze spray paint! Thanks Kimba!

Cathy said...

That turned out really beautiful!

My First Kitchen said...

I just went to Big Lots and bought spray paint. Three cans for $5.46. And I have a lamp I scored for free from a repo house my uncle was selling. I'm nervous. My first spray paint project. Eeek!!

Unknown said...

I love how the lamp turned out!

NCJill said...

Hi Kimba,
I am new to all of this blog-stuff and want to email you a picture of something I created last weekend. Could you please tell me how to do that? Thanks! :)

A newbie,
NCJill

Kimba said...

NCJill,

The easiest way to email me something is to use the address under my profile which is asoftplacetoland.kimba@gmail.com.

Also, you might want to consider making your email address public in your profile. Since it's not, I can't reply to your email and there's no way to contact you since you don't have a blog set up.


I hope that helps. Looking forward to seeing your pictures! :-)

Smelling Coffee said...

Hi Kimba~ Have you ever spray-painted a brass chandelier? I want to spray paint mine, and am thinking that what you used on your lamp would work on the chandelier. If you have any helpful hints on that, please share with all of us! :-)

Thanks so much! I'm always inspired and have changed a lot of little things around my house since reading blogs!

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

What a difference the spray paint made!

Anonymous said...

That is so funny, because I found that same lamp at Target ($10, right?!) and I looooved it as-is (funhouse effect and all). Your lamp turned out beautifully, and I am going to have to "borrow" your ribbon treatment on my original one.
:)