12 August 2008

A Thrifty Find

This guy came from a yard sale this weekend. For $1.00, I figured that I'd take the risk and see if the urn could be saved.


That's better already!


Now I wish that I had 10 of them! I could use it anywhere!



post signature

52 comments {Click here to leave a comment}:

Kristi said...

I just love all of your ideas! Since I started reading your blog I have been spray painting things left and right! Cute urn!

maryanne420 said...

kimba,
that is beautiful! great job. i wish i had 10 of those also.

Deb said...

Great find. I am on the search for urns myself. I have some fake pears that need some urn love. Hope I get as lucky as you did.

Kitty Scraps said...

Another great remake Kimba! While picking up my buffet in Chas. I found a pair of lamps that need some love at a YS. Mind if I send you another picture in a few days and get your expert advice? *smiles*

Kathryn said...

Doncha' love urns?! You can use them anywhere!

Today, I'm going to spray paint a white wicker chair black, and recover the seat of my desk chair. (It's blah white right now; it's going to be yellow and blue toile later!) :-)

Tuesday Blessings!

Heathahlee said...

I just had my husband rifle through someone's brush pile for some branches that would look PERFECT in that urn! I wish I could find one like that. Maybe if I actually got up at the crack of dawn I'd find one at a yard sale instead of staying in my car and looking through the window at noon when all the good stuff is gone.

Darlene said...

That is a great urn!! I have several painting projects going (thanks to you introducting me to spray paint) but I can't seem to get them done because for the past three days we have been getting some MUCH NEEDED rain....last night there was a downpour. I'll eventually get them done.

Cathy said...

Looks great! I can't wait to get started on some spray painting projects when I move. What kind of paint did you use for that?? It looks SO super shiny! I love it!

Unknown said...

I just finished Kimbas spray paint inspiration #2 yesterday...I'll be posting picture of it today. I credit you for the last one...if you want to see it...go check me out.

You are making me want to Garage Sail again!!

Trixi said...

As usual, it looks great.

Unknown said...

Hi Kimba,
The urn looks great! and for such a great price.

I have some things that I need to spay paint...but it's raining here.

I wonder if I am really careful could I do it in the garage? LOL
Diane

Marie said...

$1??? Wow! It looks beautiful!

Unknown said...

SAVED!!! whewwww another piece saved by the loving hands and spraypaint by Miss Kimba. I was scared there for a minute... You did it, again. Brought a sad thing back to life. You Rock girlfriend!

Karen said...

that looks awesome! I am on the hunt for a cage like that. I sprayed last night on top of my black garbage can lids. They were small things but it was perfect!

The Nester said...

Oh, I heart urns and yes, you saved it big time!!!!

hope you are enjoying the new house!

Empty Nest Full Life said...

A much better find than I had this weekend. I get so excited about the big JR League yard sale fund raiser that I was going to and it was disappointing. Oh well I'm glad to see your $1 made a great purchase, and as always great rehab. Have a great week. Jackie

Michelle said...

Another great job! Guess what I bought the other day? Black spray paint and I can't wait to use it, LOL!

Have A Good Day,
Michelle

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

You are SO right...we could be quite the yard sale duo.:) I have stopped posting all my great finds because I feel like people might think I am a hoarder...hee hee. Oh, but you have already proven with your move that hoarding is perfectly acceptable, and actually even a little cool. (I'll let my husband know that when I come home with a van full).

Anonymous said...

Yes, much better. Great find!

Blanca

Inspired Kara said...

loves it

A Hint of Home said...

No kidding! I could use at least 4 of them myself. You did a great job of refurbishing it. It would be great with numerous holiday items in it.

Christina said...

Very cool! I never see anything good at garage sales. Mostly clothes. How can I decorate with clothes?

meg said...

Oh my gosh. You are my hero. You have such great taste. It's really nice to see someone else who loves a good can of spray paint! :) I look forward to seeing more.

Anonymous said...

Looks so pretty. Is that on your mantle? Turned out nice. I am looking for some of the mossy bally thingys for an urn. If you see any around, let me know.

Shannon said...

What a great transformation. You have a great way of looking past all the ugliness! That is a talent! :)

Christy said...

Very nice! I love urns too and I don't think you can ever have enough of them. Even better when they are only $1!

I also saw what you did with your chair and hutch... Beautiful!

scargosun said...

You and your spray paint. There should be a superhero name for you.

Carry Grace said...

I would have paid $1 for that! Great save!

Chris said...

I'm imagining all the things you can put in there! A gourd this fall, some robin's eggs in a nest in the spring, a pear...the possibilities are endless. I've been teetering on buying two of these at our Goodwill, but you made up my mind for me.

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

I love thrift store posts! I think they are my absolute favorite. Now I want to go shopping for goodies myself, right now! Great find!

Ashley said...

Great find for one dollar. I love urns. One can't have too many!

Tausha said...

i heart urns as well. But probably not as much as I should.
I tend to forget about them when I go out thrufting. I must work on that. I love the transformation! You are right, it would look good anywhere!! Jealous

Blogger said...

Very pretty!

I actually hit a few garage sales over the weekend, I need to post my pics :)

LOVE LOVE LOVE your urn :)

Bella

Claremont First Ward said...

You have such an eye for this sort of thing. It looks great.

Anonymous said...

Kimba, you are very clever to paint that urn. I am getting some thrifty ideas from your cleverness. Smile. I bet you got it for a thrifty price too. Nice work

Take care, Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Afternoon, Kimba! What a treasure you have! I just love that urn and only a $?? Woo Hoo!! Maybe you can use the apples in your fall display.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

TupeloLove said...

Gorgeous! I love the blue, so sophisticated!

P.S. I gave you a blog award, come and check it out if you get a chance!

Anonymous said...

GREAT FIND!!! Love seeing how you change things into something even better!

trish said...

Super! :o)

cherry said...

Very purtyyyy Miss. Kimba! cherry

Anonymous said...

hey Kimba, that's my kinda spray paint makeover, you know I woulda passed that over, I need to open my eyes a bit more lol!

Gina said...

cool!!
you and that black spray paint!!!!

Just Lisa said...

I really need to invest in some black spray paint! You are awesome!

nikkicrumpet said...

Just goes to show that you shouldn't pass up on things that aren't...ummm...shall we say "pretty" to start with...Just look how PRETTY it is now!

Jennifer P. said...

How you could see the beauty underneath all that plasic fruit is beyond me :)! Great job girl!

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

I totally would have tried spray painting the weird fruit...glad you set me straight.

And Voila! Tomorrow my article featuring a couple of your posts should be up on
http://boutiqueflair.ning.com

Thanks!

angela | the painted house said...

When that urn walked into your house from the yard sale, did all the other chairs and tables and plates and roosters say, "prepare to be sprayed!" :)

As always, looks fabulous!

Unknown said...

very cute Kimba!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I really need to start spray-painting a few things around here. That looks great! -Julia

Lainey-Paney said...

great garage sale find!

Annie said...

Spray Paint to the rescue! Again!

Kristen said...

I was scared there for a minute - but I love it!!!! Did you just use a plain black? It looks almost two tone..